PDA

View Full Version : "Julius Randle physically is the closest thing I have ever seen to Lebron James"

Meticode
11-12-2013, 07:10 PM
"Julius Randle physically is the closest thing I have ever seen to Lebron James"

-Jay Williams

https://twitter.com/BrettNBA/status/400292717994864641

Far right side. He's about 6'9" and 248 pounds. 6'11" wingspan. Projected #2.

IGotACoolStory
11-12-2013, 07:22 PM
He's not quite the above the rim player like LeBron was. More times than not during high school games, he played below the rim.

Physically, though, he has about as NBA-ready a body as it gets for someone that age. I still think that's partly a negative. It can be like a father playing with his kids against some of these high school and college teams. It obviously won't be like that in the NBA. Although he does possess a surprising combination of power and quickness for his size. Definitely very good for any basketball player, just not quite LeBron. I mean Thomas Robinson was jacked, too.

STATUTORY
11-12-2013, 07:22 PM
low ceiling on this kid

kurt_rambis
11-12-2013, 07:26 PM
first real test will be today. he's dominated in the couple games kentucky have played so far against small local schools

he's a beast though. good ball handler for his size, amazing athlete, can shoot a little bit. he's really gonna make the #1 pick a hard decision for some team. he'll be able to contribute right away, while wiggins will probably need a year or two

Pointguard
11-12-2013, 07:30 PM
Physically isn't saying much. Athletically is the big deal. Physically and athletically its definitely Blake Griffin who jumps higher but isn't as fast. Lebron also has great coordination.

Ca$H
11-12-2013, 07:35 PM
I have read C Webb and ZBO comparisons. Which is more accurate?

FireDavidKahn
11-12-2013, 07:37 PM
Julius Randle is also one ugly mother****er. A face only a mother could love.

Meticode
11-12-2013, 07:38 PM
Julius Randle is also one ugly mother****er. A face only a mother could love.
What NBA players have nice faces to you?

Meticode
11-12-2013, 07:39 PM
I've watch him a little bit and some draft videos. First thing that came to mind was Jamal Mashburn. Has the body to play inside, but choose to be a perimeter player more than you would like for someone his size.

Eric Cartman
11-12-2013, 07:42 PM
What NBA players have nice faces to you?

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2012/0502/play_g_redick_576.jpg

http://www.hoopsvibe.com/images/stories/SI.jpg

kurt_rambis
11-12-2013, 07:43 PM
i don't understand the z-bo comparisons. randle is a freak athlete with ball very good ball handling skills and a great perimeter game. z-bo is a bruiser

they're both lefties i guess :confusedshrug:

LoneyROY7
11-12-2013, 07:43 PM
LeBron's size isn't what made him special...it was his athleticism AND quickness at that size. Neither of which Randle can compare with.

Meticode
11-12-2013, 07:47 PM
i don't understand the z-bo comparisons. randle is a freak athlete with ball very good ball handling skills and a great perimeter game. z-bo is a bruiser

they're both lefties i guess :confusedshrug:
Not sure if Draft Express is wrong, but their reporting on him is even those he's strong, he's not a freak athlete in the class of a Wiggins or LeBron James or something like that. A great athlete, but not a freak one like you're mentioning.

"Weaknesses: While very solid, especially considering his age, not a jaw dropping physical specimen type of athlete ... Doesn't play on the box as much as he should, too perimeter oriented. Should focus a little more on refining his post game which will really be his bread and butter as he gets older ... Settles for too many jumpers at times instead of imposing his will inside ... Too left hand dominant. Needs to work at using his right hand better ..."

Meticode
11-12-2013, 07:48 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2012/0502/play_g_redick_576.jpg

http://www.hoopsvibe.com/images/stories/SI.jpg
:oldlol: I like that you removed Rubio for Ibaka.

Jameerthefear
11-12-2013, 07:51 PM
Either him Parker, or wiggins is coming to orlando, so i'm excited

:D

Eric Cartman
11-12-2013, 07:52 PM
:oldlol: I like that you removed Rubio for Ibaka.

I don't want people to think I only sodomize white boys (no homo)

Nigg'as can still eat chocolate syrup all over my body and pound me all night long (no homo of course)

LoneyROY7
11-12-2013, 07:53 PM
I don't want people to think I only sodomize white boys (no homo)

Nigg'as can still eat chocolate syrup all over my body and pound me all night long (no homo of course)

:crazysam:

kurt_rambis
11-12-2013, 07:53 PM
Not sure if Draft Express is wrong, but their reporting on him is even those he's strong, he's not a freak athlete in the class of a Wiggins or LeBron James or something like that. A great athlete, but not a freak one like you're mentioning.

"Weaknesses: While very solid, especially considering his age, not a jaw dropping physical specimen type of athlete ... Doesn't play on the box as much as he should, too perimeter oriented. Should focus a little more on refining his post game which will really be his bread and butter as he gets older ... Settles for too many jumpers at times instead of imposing his will inside ... Too left hand dominant. Needs to work at using his right hand better ..."
that might be an old evaluation. he's lost some weight and toned up a bit the last year or so. their latest scouting report calls him an "Outstanding athlete in terms of fluidity, agility and explosiveness"

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Julius-Randle-6294/

all you need to do is watch him play....you can tell he's one of these huge guys who plays like someone much smaller

EnoughSaid
11-12-2013, 07:55 PM
This is the first draft class since 2003 where a team should be satisfied with a top 5 pick.

kurt_rambis
11-12-2013, 07:56 PM
and to make this thread even gayer, check out his bod!

http://i39.tinypic.com/6fbfau.jpg

Eric Cartman
11-12-2013, 07:58 PM
This is the first draft class since 2003 where a team should be satisfied with a top 5 pick.

nobody takes scrub from europe/serbia we good

andremiller07
11-12-2013, 08:05 PM
Gotta get back to Lex soon to get another run in with dem Wildcats. A lotta talent on this year's team. Julius Randle is a beast!! - DeMarcus Cousins

SpecialQue
11-12-2013, 08:05 PM
inb4 blowjobs

EnoughSaid
11-12-2013, 08:13 PM
Let's just hope these guys all land in places they want to be and not somewhere where they bounce after 3-4 seasons. In 5 years time we'll be talking about Wiggins vs. Randle for MVP :D

AirTupac
11-12-2013, 08:25 PM
Either him Parker, or wiggins is coming to orlando, so i'm excited

:D

And then eventually to the Lakers :cheers:

LoneyROY7
11-12-2013, 08:27 PM
And then eventually to the Lakers :cheers:

And then eventually to Miami or Houston :cheers:

FreezingTsmoove
11-12-2013, 08:34 PM
I am officially on the Julius Randle bandwagon and the game hasn't started yet.

outbreak
11-12-2013, 08:35 PM
Let's just hope these guys all land in places they want to be and not somewhere where they bounce after 3-4 seasons. In 5 years time we'll be talking about Wiggins vs. Randle for MVP :D

I'm hoping they land in cities that I consider relevant. My opinions of that will differ from others but I don't want them going to the Jazz or the Kings. Don't hate those teams, just don't really find them relevant or know if the management will make them relevant if they got a star.

Jameerthefear
11-12-2013, 08:40 PM
Game is on right now folks! Head over to the college bball forum.

outbreak
11-12-2013, 08:41 PM
Game is on right now folks! Head over to the college bball forum.

I'll be watching it tonight when I'm home from work, pumped for this

pauk
11-12-2013, 08:42 PM
Lebron was 240-250 as a 17-18 year old, wouldnt be surprised if he is like 270 now.... Physically many can/do look like Lebron... but never move like him at that size.... he clocked like 4.3 sec 40 yard dash... the only guys clocking that or faster are the fastest NFL widerecievers of all time and they all were around 5'10-6'2....

Eric Cartman
11-12-2013, 08:43 PM
Jameer's thread on Michigan St. vs Kentucky: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=316585

Go over there and support pals :cheers:

FreezingTsmoove
11-12-2013, 09:14 PM
Randle has a serious problem with ball security. NBA guards will destroy him

plowking
11-12-2013, 09:23 PM
I've actually liked what I've seen of him so far against Michigan, even with how poorly hes played.

You can tell hes a great low post player, but hes getting double teamed down there and the whole defense is shifting to his side of the court, much like what Lebron has gotten this season. And its only his 3rd game. Pretty crazy the attention hes drawing.

chazzy
11-12-2013, 09:31 PM
Lebron was 240-250 as a 17-18 year old, wouldnt be surprised if he is like 270 now.... Physically many can/do look like Lebron... but never move like him at that size.... he clocked like 4.3 sec 40 yard dash... the only guys clocking that or faster are the fastest NFL widerecievers of all time and they all were around 5'10-6'2....

FreezingTsmoove
11-12-2013, 09:56 PM
show em the jimmy now julius

abuC
11-12-2013, 10:39 PM

He ran a 4.4 in HS, the 4.6 is from last year.

Linspired
11-13-2013, 12:56 AM

Bron is absolutely nowhere near 270

RoundMoundOfReb
11-13-2013, 02:25 AM
He absolutely is. I'd say 265.

Verified 245 as a rookie:

http://www.sneakerpimping.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/lebron-james-rookie.jpg

Now:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/filepicker/0aEaFpo1RmO0A1aTeddu_03-18-2013-lebron-james-3_4_r536_c534.jpg

How much weight do you think he's added? That isn't 5 pounds.

red1
11-13-2013, 02:35 AM
lol

InspiredLebowski
11-13-2013, 02:43 AM
Randle's a stellar prospect, maybe better than Wiggins, but comparing him to Lebron in any way is just ignorant. Randle's a true post, a classic 4. Lebron's the best prospect ever in every way, but physically specifically. Randle's a fine athlete, but he's not even elite in terms of NBA prospects.

plowking
11-13-2013, 03:00 AM
Randle's a stellar prospect, maybe better than Wiggins, but comparing him to Lebron in any way is just ignorant. Randle's a true post, a classic 4. Lebron's the best prospect ever in every way, but physically specifically. Randle's a fine athlete, but he's not even elite in terms of NBA prospects.

Not sure I agree.

I think he is elite. He was bullying players far older and even larger than him. Strength is a large part of athleticism. Including length, which he has. He isn't the quickest out there, but he does have a phenomenal jump as well.

As far as athletic goes, 3/4 ain't bad, particularly when you're very good at 3 of the 4 categories.

InspiredLebowski
11-13-2013, 03:31 AM
Not sure I agree.

I think he is elite. He was bullying players far older and even larger than him. Strength is a large part of athleticism. Including length, which he has. He isn't the quickest out there, but he does have a phenomenal jump as well.

As far as athletic goes, 3/4 ain't bad, particularly when you're very good at 3 of the 4 categories.Right, he's absolutely an elite prospect. But he's not an elite athlete, that's really his one knock I've seen so far. Not a bad one by any means, he's probably above average as an NBA 4, but I was talking about the Lebron comparison. That's ludicrous, Lebron's far and away the best basketball athlete I've ever seen.

silverbax
11-13-2013, 10:10 AM
The reality is that Julius Randle is a very quick PF at the NBA level with good range. He won't be able to consistently play the 5 and long power forwards will be able to shoot over him.

Randle is a pro player and should see significant minutes as a rookie in the NBA, but what you see from him today is what you will get in the pros. He doesn't have great rebounding timing.

Remember, this kid is 6'8", not 6'11" or 7". It matters a lot, especially when the guys he'll be defending in the NBA will be taller and play above the rim. You can't just look at how good he is against college competition - the NBA is loaded with players who were also dominant in college.

Carbine
11-13-2013, 11:06 AM
The reality is that Julius Randle is a very quick PF at the NBA level with good range. He won't be able to consistently play the 5 and long power forwards will be able to shoot over him.

Randle is a pro player and should see significant minutes as a rookie in the NBA, but what you see from him today is what you will get in the pros. He doesn't have great rebounding timing.

Remember, this kid is 6'8", not 6'11" or 7". It matters a lot, especially when the guys he'll be defending in the NBA will be taller and play above the rim. You can't just look at how good he is against college competition - the NBA is loaded with players who were also dominant in college.

You don't shoot with the top of your head, you don't rebound with the top of your head, you don't do anything with the top of your head

Wingspan = true height in basketball.

Thorpesaurous
11-13-2013, 11:08 AM
He put up great numbers last night, and I've been a huge Randle guy from the get go. But I wasn't as thrilled last night I'd hoped I would be. The impressive thing is that he still put up huge numbers against a really good physical top tier NCAA team, even when I didn't think he played great.

I totally understand the ZBo comp. That midrange face up jumper, and the excessive jab game, is totally ZBo. So is the extensive reliance on the left hand. He's far more lefty dominant than I expected based on what I saw at the HS level. And so is that spin back counter move that he seems to love so much.

That said, while I don't believe he's an elite athlete, on the level of Chris Webber, he is a better athlete than ZBo. Right now I'd liken him a lot to Derrick Coleman, who was a world class prospect, in spite of being a tick below elite as an athlete. Although I'm not sure Randle is quite the ball handler or passer DC was, and DC was a legit 6-10.

Randle was iffy with the ball last night, as were most of the Kentucky guys. And it'd be nice to see him have more of an impact defensively, but that's never gonna be his calling card.

Andrew Harrison looked at best iffy last night.

I haven't actually watched the second game yet. I'm sick as hell and fell asleep.

silverbax
11-13-2013, 11:18 AM
You don't shoot with the top of your head, you don't rebound with the top of your head, you don't do anything with the top of your head

Wingspan = true height in basketball.

Even if that were true, Randle has less wingspan than those NBA guys playing the 5. Again, those guys were monsters in the NCAA too.

Go Getter
11-13-2013, 11:22 AM
I'm not sure if his style will translate into the NBA. He reminds me a lot of Michael Beasley in college although not as good a scorer.

Jailblazers7
11-13-2013, 11:26 AM
He put up great numbers last night, and I've been a huge Randle guy from the get go. But I wasn't as thrilled last night I'd hoped I would be. The impressive thing is that he still put up huge numbers against a really good physical top tier NCAA team, even when I didn't think he played great.

I totally understand the ZBo comp. That midrange face up jumper, and the excessive jab game, is totally ZBo. So is the extensive reliance on the left hand. He's far more lefty dominant than I expected based on what I saw at the HS level. And so is that spin back counter move that he seems to love so much.

That said, while I don't believe he's an elite athlete, on the level of Chris Webber, he is a better athlete than ZBo. Right now I'd liken him a lot to Derrick Coleman, who was a world class prospect, in spite of being a tick below elite as an athlete. Although I'm not sure Randle is quite the ball handler or passer DC was, and DC was a legit 6-10.

Randle was iffy with the ball last night, as were most of the Kentucky guys. And it'd be nice to see him have more of an impact defensively, but that's never gonna be his calling card.

Andrew Harrison looked at best iffy last night.

I haven't actually watched the second game yet. I'm sick as hell and fell asleep.

Yeah, I was a bit worried about how left hand dominant he was last night. He really favors turning with that right shoulder and can get away with it because of his strength in the post. He will def need to refine that area of his game at the next level.

His defensive effort was pretty bad in transition (it was for everyone on Kentucky) but that is something that Cal will get ironed out by destroying them on film and in practice. All of Kentucky's guards were underwhelming last night but their frontline is great.

PJR
11-13-2013, 11:34 AM
Randle = tweener forward. GM's beware, he reeks of a bust. I don't see much difference with him than Beasley and Derrick Williams.

The prizes are Parker and Wiggins.

aburre21
11-13-2013, 12:35 PM
Randle = tweener forward. GM's beware, he reeks of a bust. I don't see much difference with him than Beasley and Derrick Williams.

The prizes are Parker and Wiggins.
Randle is not a tweener. Dude plays on the block. He's going to be a 4, period. He doesn't play small at all. People acting like Barkley didn't dominate this league at 6'6, calling Randle undersized and incapable of playing the 4 is ridiculous. Julius Randle is taller and stockier than Bron, and Bron is definitely capable of playing the 4

People talking about he's not athletic? Have yall seen this man? Dude has a nice first step and he can jump out the gym too. There's not many 4s in the league more athletic than him. Kevin Love like 6'7 and is an actual tweener yet he's successful.

aburre21
11-13-2013, 12:38 PM
http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptusnbaexperts/136279660.jpg

Yall telling me Randle can be a successful 4? Look at Love, dude is the size of a SF(LeBron).

EllisGW
11-13-2013, 12:51 PM
http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptusnbaexperts/136279660.jpg

Yall telling me Randle can be a successful 4? Look at Love, dude is the size of a SF(LeBron).

randle has to develop a good midrange game to be a good nba player. love can make midrange shots and three points with post moves. Randle is not going to over power athletic bigs in the nba. Randle was dominated by big athletes like gordon and noel in the past.

Dolphin
11-13-2013, 12:51 PM
As I said in the other Randle thread, we have to remember he put up 4/4 in the first half. His offensive explosion in the second half came mostly against 6'6" Dawson. Now Dawson pound for pound may be almost as strong as Randle, but he's still three inches shorter.

aburre21
11-13-2013, 02:31 PM
randle has to develop a good midrange game to be a good nba player. love can make midrange shots and three points with post moves. Randle is not going to over power athletic bigs in the nba. Randle was dominated by big athletes like gordon and noel in the past.

you guys don't know shit about basketball...calling him a tweener and comparing him to Michael Beasley, etc. Then saying he needs a jumper/midrange. Last time I checked, Beasley had a midrange jumper, etc.. Beasley didn't overpower players. He was just skilled offensively. That comparison is ridiculous

aburre21
11-13-2013, 02:40 PM
As I said in the other Randle thread, we have to remember he put up 4/4 in the first half. His offensive explosion in the second half came mostly against 6'6" Dawson. Now Dawson pound for pound may be almost as strong as Randle, but he's still three inches shorter.

What? Dude scored like his first 10 points in the second half on adreian payne

http://youtu.be/SdsY62qaCoA

did you watch the game?

Dolphin
11-13-2013, 03:04 PM
What? Dude scored like his first 10 points in the second half on adreian payne

http://youtu.be/SdsY62qaCoA

did you watch the game?

As I stated in the other Randle thread, he scored his first few buckets in the second half against Payne who was trying to avoid another foul. That got him going.

The thread is titled: "Julius Randle 27 Points 13 Rebounds vs Michigan State in the loss". Feel free to take a look if you think I'm BS'ing you. lol

Again, Randle was great and should be a great pro, but there was a difference between the first half with Payne not worrying about foul trouble and Dawson guarding him here and there compared to Payne playing delicately and Dawson being forced to guard a much taller player for huge stretches.

outbreak
11-13-2013, 05:38 PM
http://nbadraft.net/players/deshawn-stevenson

let's all remember how early comparisons can pan out

EllisGW
11-13-2013, 06:18 PM
you guys don't know shit about basketball...calling him a tweener and comparing him to Michael Beasley, etc. Then saying he needs a jumper/midrange. Last time I checked, Beasley had a midrange jumper, etc.. Beasley didn't overpower players. He was just skilled offensively. That comparison is ridiculous

when did I compare him to Beasley? He is not going to get a shot off in nba because people are his size and just as athletic. He has trouble against top athletes. During is AAU career he struggled against gordon and Noel. These are similar athletes he will face in the nba. He has to develop a mid range game to his offensive skill set, so players will respect him. A 6'8 guy is not going to over power guys in the NBA. Even the powerful Karl Malone had to develop a 15 foot jumper.

TheTruth11
11-13-2013, 08:01 PM
Steven A. Smith made a great observation about Randle. He said that he is all left hand. Says that will hurt him at the next level.

He likes 1. Parker, 2. Randle, and then 3. Wiggins. He is not really sold on Wiggins at all. Says he is too raw and lacks poise.

Chris Broussard would also take Parker #1

ukfan22
11-13-2013, 09:25 PM
He has a decent midrange and 3 point game, and much like Anthony Davis I think you'll see that more as the season goes on. Last night wasn't the time for it, obviously.