PDA

View Full Version : Josh Smith's benching last night

chips93
11-13-2013, 06:35 AM
He only played 18 minutes last night against the warriors.

did any of you guys watch the game? what happened for him to get such little playing time? any word of tension between him and cheeks?

its looking like a poor fit in detroit for him right now

East_Stone_Ya
11-13-2013, 06:39 AM
he is simply not a SF

chips93
11-13-2013, 06:47 AM
how do you think this resolves itself?

im hoping it doesnt so my cavs get a better shot at making the playoffs.

no pun intended
11-13-2013, 06:48 AM
Was it heavy?

chips93
11-13-2013, 06:50 AM
Was it heavy?
:durantunimpressed:

andremiller07
how do you think this resolves itself?

im hoping it doesnt so my cavs get a better shot at making the playoffs.
Only way is if the Pistons trade away there best player in Monroe to get a good SF and move Smith to PF, since Monroe has the 2nd highest value after Drummond and is the easiest to move due to his contract, I have heard in the last game the Pistons think Drummond has HOF ability so no chance they move him and I don't really see any takers for Smiths contract.

Would be a shame to see the probably best front court for the next decade or so being broken up cause of Smith. I'm not really sure if they can afford all three and I remember reading that Monroe's management believes he should get a similar offer to Cousins which would be a max deal and it's hard to see that since they will have to give max to Drummond as well a year or two later.

They could also move one of Smith/Monroe to the bench but that's HIGHLY unlikely.

poido123
He only played 18 minutes last night against the warriors.

did any of you guys watch the game? what happened for him to get such little playing time? any word of tension between him and cheeks?

its looking like a poor fit in detroit for him right now

Yeah I saw that.

Smith was throwing up some wild and out of flow shots against the Warriors. I don't blame Cheeks at all. I didn't really notice the benching or the significance of what was happening, but I was thinking to myself how badly Smith was playing and how irritating it must be for his teammates to watch those chucks go up.

SacJB Shady
11-13-2013, 07:03 AM
You just can't put him at small forward, nor can u put Billups at SG. That's 2 people out of place. Maybe put Drummond on the bench.

Big Cheese
11-13-2013, 08:05 AM
Josh chucks bad shots regardless of his position. He has the worst shot selection in the league. Even last year at PF his TS% was comparable to monta ellis and this was with a team with some of the best spacing in the league that gave him all the room to work in the post and drive to the rim.

uber
11-13-2013, 08:07 AM
Josh Smith should focus on what he's good at and that's defense. I think before this game he was avg. like 7 3-point attempts per game. That's just not his game.

roffie
11-13-2013, 08:10 AM
they shudnt have signed josh smith with drummond/monroe already

chips93
11-13-2013, 08:13 AM
he is in what, his 10th year in the league? he should really know better, when it comes to shot selection. what are the odds he actually fixes it, this far into his career. he probably is what he is at this point.

so, do you guys think that cheeks benching him will have any effect on his game? did his coaches in ATL ever go to such length to try to curb his shot selection?

Big Cheese
11-13-2013, 08:34 AM
he is in what, his 10th year in the league? he should really know better, when it comes to shot selection. what are the odds he actually fixes it, this far into his career. he probably is what he is at this point.

so, do you guys think that cheeks benching him will have any effect on his game? did his coaches in ATL ever go to such length to try to curb his shot selection?

Last year Josh got suspended for his shot selection and attitude. That didnt do shit.

Come on this is a guy who gets booed AT HOME everytime he shoots a jumper. I remember in his last home game as a hawk (in the playoffs vs pacers game 6) his shot selection was so bad he got booed everytime he touched the ball.

Throughout his career this guy has not listened to no1. The only year he toned down his bad shots was in 2009-2010 after the coaches promised him that he would make the all star team and be DPOY of the year. When he didnt get those awards he selfishly went back to shot jacking

hawkfan
11-13-2013, 08:45 AM
If they knew what he was like, why the hell did Dumars sign him to that contract?

What's the point of giving someone 54 million and then sitting them on the bench?

Why didn't they sign Kyle Korver instead and at a cheaper rate?

Why don't they trade Monroe out for a small forward and move Josh to power forward?

Why is Joe Dumars still the GM of Detroit?

poido123
11-13-2013, 08:50 AM
Last year Josh got suspended for his shot selection and attitude. That didnt do shit.

Come on this is a guy who gets booed AT HOME everytime he shoots a jumper. I remember in his last home game as a hawk (in the playoffs vs pacers game 6) his shot selection was so bad he got booed everytime he touched the ball.

Throughout his career this guy has not listened to no1. The only year he toned down his bad shots was in 2009-2010 after the coaches promised him that he would make the all star team and be DPOY of the year. When he didnt get those awards he selfishly went back to shot jacking

I really like most of the Pistons players and their potential, but Smith was not a good idea. Maybe they should look to trade him and get a decent SF and picks...

SacJB Shady
11-13-2013, 10:00 AM
Smith doesn't look right out there. He wasn't even noticeable. Smith vs Iggy at small forward?

Rake2204
11-13-2013, 10:38 AM
I wouldn't put too much stock in Smith's limited minutes last night. The Pistons were throttled from the start and spent 40 minutes of that contest down by 20+. In those instances, coaches tend to take a lot of different approaches, including trying lesser used options. Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Luigi Datome, and Tony Mitchell all saw a lot of time last night.

That's not to say there's not a problem with Smith, because what do I know? But it's not as if last night was a competitive match. It was the second game of a west coast back-to-back for Detroit and they were getting rocked. It could be something more, or it really could have been Maurice Cheeks just being frustrated with the result and going in another direction for the evening. After all, Smith's still averaging 35 minutes a night thus far.

R.I.P.
11-13-2013, 10:38 AM
Josh chucks bad shots regardless of his position. He has the worst shot selection in the league. Even last year at PF his TS% was comparable to monta ellis and this was with a team with some of the best spacing in the league that gave him all the room to work in the post and drive to the rim.

I agree. I don

Rake2204
11-13-2013, 10:41 AM
[QUOTE=R.I.P.]I agree. I don

Qwyjibo
11-13-2013, 11:05 AM
The Pistons should totally trade Monroe + salary fillers for Rudy Gay. Move Smith to PF where he should be and let us all enjoy the hilarity of Gay, Jennings and Smith all being in the same starting lineup.

CarlosBoozer
11-13-2013, 11:20 AM
The Pistons should totally trade Monroe + salary fillers for Rudy Gay. Move Smith to PF where he should be and let us all enjoy the hilarity of Gay, Jennings and Smith all being in the same starting lineup.
There goes all of the nba's basketball rims :bowdown:

OmniStrife
11-13-2013, 11:27 AM
Dude should not be taking all them threes...
Someone who cares for him should just slap him in the face and tell him straight:
"Nigguh, stop shootin dem treys, you're bad as shit at dem!"

chips93
11-13-2013, 11:38 AM
[QUOTE=R.I.P.]I agree. I don

kurple
11-13-2013, 11:47 AM
Only way is if the Pistons trade away there best player in Monroe to get a good SF and move Smith to PF, since Monroe has the 2nd highest value after Drummond and is the easiest to move due to his contract, I have heard in the last game the Pistons think Drummond has HOF ability so no chance they move him and I don't really see any takers for Smiths contract.

Would be a shame to see the probably best front court for the next decade or so being broken up cause of Smith. I'm not really sure if they can afford all three and I remember reading that Monroe's management believes he should get a similar offer to Cousins which would be a max deal and it's hard to see that since they will have to give max to Drummond as well a year or two later.

They could also move one of Smith/Monroe to the bench but that's HIGHLY unlikely.
Monroe -4- Faried and Wilson Chandler. could give up Gallo, but he + Faried is a bit too much

sundog67
11-13-2013, 12:28 PM
Smith hasn't been doing too bad this season, I just don't think he fit into last night's game very well. Too big/not quick enough to guard GSWs 1-3.

Highly doubt Detroit will move Monroe or Drummond, at this point they might be more important to the rotation than pretty much everyone else on the team.

Big Cheese
11-13-2013, 12:28 PM
its weird, its not like he selfishly gains from taking these bad shots.

he isnt getting a better contract, because he puts up numbers, like some selfish shot jackers might.

i can understand that kind of selfishness, but when it clearly limits the player he can be, and as a consequence, what kind of contract he can command, its hurting him, from a purely selfish standpoint.

He is selfishly jacking up shots cause thats what he feels like doing.

He doesnt care about the team he just does whatever he wants when he wants regardless if it hurts the team or not.

I hate when people call him unselfish just because he gets assist this guy has never in his career put the team above himself.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
11-13-2013, 12:34 PM

Gay to pistons
Pau to raps
Monroe/exp to lakers

ZMonkey11
11-13-2013, 01:05 PM
Gay to pistons
Pau to raps
Monroe/exp to lakers

Jennings-Gay-Smith.

Er...thanks but no thanks.:oldlol:

RoundMoundOfReb
11-13-2013, 01:09 PM
They can have derozan as well.

LT Ice Cream
11-13-2013, 01:20 PM
He's always jacked way too many threes but I think the deeper issue is that the Pistons arent running enough and Jennings is a shitty point guard. J-smoove is good in transition but those opportunities are usually blown by BJ pulling up for a transition 3 with a hand in his face.
The big front line of Drummond Monroe and Smoove should be able to create more fastbreaks but they seem to play pretty slow.

scm5
11-13-2013, 01:40 PM
They should trade Smith for Deng. That would be a tough backcourt to score on for the Bulls and Deng is a much better SF than Smith is.

The Bulls could then move Boozer for a SG/SF.

boozehound
11-13-2013, 02:21 PM

they need to let monroe go to FA and set his value (which is below the 5 yr max-max they can give him) and then sign him, saving the 5 year deal for drummond. By the time drummond is in line for big $, smith will only have 1 year left on his deal and could be used as a big expiring contract.

boozehound
11-13-2013, 02:22 PM
They should trade Smith for Deng. That would be a tough backcourt to score on for the Bulls and Deng is a much better SF than Smith is.

not a bad idea.

inclinerator
11-13-2013, 02:37 PM
225 for 15 reps not bad

chips93
11-13-2013, 02:47 PM
they need to let monroe go to FA and set his value (which is below the 5 yr max-max they can give him) and then sign him, saving the 5 year deal for drummond. By the time drummond is in line for big $, smith will only have 1 year left on his deal and could be used as a big expiring contract.

maybe its too early to tell, and im jumping to conclusions, but would you really be happy to hav smith as your SF for the next 3 or 4 years?

boozehound
11-13-2013, 04:17 PM
maybe its too early to tell, and im jumping to conclusions, but would you really be happy to hav smith as your SF for the next 3 or 4 years?
no. I am not a fan of him at the 3. I think they need to rejigger the starting lineup and have him off the bench in a 3 big man rotation. But, they have no real small forwards on the roster outside of singler. and I guess Gigi, but he seems a little too slow. I really dont know what they do with this roster. No real 2s or 3s on the roster beyond stuckey and singler and the rookie.

ProfessorMurder
11-13-2013, 04:32 PM
no. I am not a fan of him at the 3. I think they need to rejigger the starting lineup and have him off the bench in a 3 big man rotation. But, they have no real small forwards on the roster outside of singler. and I guess Gigi, but he seems a little too slow. I really dont know what they do with this roster. No real 2s or 3s on the roster beyond stuckey and singler and the rookie.

Rondo and Gerald Wallace for Jennings / Charlie V / Monroe

Eric Cartman
11-13-2013, 04:35 PM
Rondo and Gerald Wallace for Jennings / Charlie V / Monroe

pf are hard to come by today's game

ProfessorMurder
11-13-2013, 04:39 PM
pf are hard to come by today's game

I'm sure the Celtics would take Drummond instead, but I'm not sure the money would work.

bdreason
11-13-2013, 05:28 PM
The Pistons aren't trading Monroe. He's the best player on the team.

I would start Singler - Smith - Monroe frontcourt, and bring Drummond as the first big off the bench.

SacJB Shady
11-13-2013, 06:48 PM
Smith should just be a 6th man, help them score off the bench. Not sure who their sf is. And Chauncey should come off the bench.

PG- Brandon Jennings
SG- Rodney Stuckey
SF- _____________
PF- Greg Monroe
C- Andre Drummond

Bench

PG- Chauncey Billups
PF- Josh Smith

poido123
11-13-2013, 07:12 PM

I like that idea.

Give the Bulls a proper offensive punch, plus losing nothing on the defense. Then it allows us to get rid of Boozer, which is always a good thing :cheers:

Maybe a 3-way trade could get this done, so that we can offload Boozer all in the one go, maybe get Thornton and filler for Boozer from Sacramento.

Butler, Smith, Noah on defense :eek: