PDA

View Full Version : Jabari Parker will emerge as the best ... according to Mike Wilbon

TheTruth11
11-13-2013, 01:14 PM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9969339/college-basketball-needed-night-champions-classic

Sure Wilbon tends to be a bit of a Chicago homer. But he does make some great points. And he believes Parker is the best player of the bunch and it is not even close.

Steven A. Smith and Chris Broussard also have Parker as the best of the three. Steven A. says that Wiggins is too raw and lacks poise. He says Randle is all left hand.

RoundMoundOfReb
11-13-2013, 01:38 PM
He also thought Melo would be better than LeBron.

midatlantic09
11-13-2013, 02:43 PM
I agree that Parker will end up being a better pro than Wiggins.

Right now, Wiggins is extremely raw (great athleticism, but shakey handles, shakey jumper, limited playmaking skills, limited left hand, mediocre leadership, etc) and doesn't seem to have a Kobe type desire to be the best. I'm sure he'll get bigger as he gets older, and will improve overall, but I just don't see this guy working his butt off to become one of the best ball players ever. When I see him on the court, it looks like he's not even excited to be there.

As a side note, I don't value the opinion of most scouts these days. Why? Because these are the same people who thought guys like Kwame Brown, Marvin Wiliams, Darko Milicic, Michael Olawokandi, and Shabazz Muhummed would turn out to be great pros.

TheTruth11
11-13-2013, 02:51 PM

Right now, Wiggins is extremely raw (great athleticism, but shakey handles, shakey jumper, limited playmaking skills, limited left hand, mediocre leadership, etc) and doesn't seem to have a Kobe type desire to be the best. I'm sure he'll get bigger as he gets older, and will improve overall, but I just don't see this guy working his butt off to become one of the best ball players ever. When I see him on the court, it looks like he's not even excited to be there.

As a side note, I don't value the opinion of most scouts these days. Why? Because these are the same people who thought guys like Kwame Brown, Marvin Wiliams, Darko Milicic, Michael Olawokandi, and Shabazz Muhummed would turn out to be great pros.

Great points. And how many guys have we seen through the years who can run like deer and jump out gym but can't make it in the NBA. Basketball is about much more than that.

Jailblazers7
11-13-2013, 02:52 PM

:oldlol: WTF does this even mean? The kid is 18 and has played 2 college bball games and you already know he doesn't have enough heart to be great?

Dolphin
11-13-2013, 03:08 PM

What is your take on Wiggins wanting to guard Parker in the second half, but Self not allowing it and thus Wiggins chose to guard Parker against his coach's wishes (literally on his own accord mid game). I remember two plays where he guarded Parker. One was the bad foul called on Wiggins, the other he made Parker shoot an air ball.

This has been quoted in many articles since the game. What is your take on that? Or should it just be discounted for whatever reason? Personally it sounds like something a leader like Kobe would do. Small sample size, but that goes for you as well. So what do you take from that?

midatlantic09
11-13-2013, 03:08 PM
:oldlol: WTF does this even mean? The kid is 18 and has played 2 college bball games and you already know he doesn't have enough heart to be great?

It's quite obvious just by watching him on the court and listening to him in interviews. I've been following Kobe since 1995 and even back then it was apparent that he had a burning desire to be the best. I remember in an interview how he talked about how back at Lower Merion, he used to get up at like 5am, workout for a few hours, go to school, then workout again after school (nearly every day). The guy was willing to do whatever it took to be the best and I just don't sense that same drive in Wiggins. The guy doesn't even seem excited to be on the court most of the time and looks like he's just going through the motions.

I could be 100% wrong, but my gut tells me I won't be and I won't be surprised if Wiggins ends up being another Andre Iguodala and not another Lebron.

BoutPractice
11-13-2013, 03:21 PM
College is one thing, NBA another.

Parker certainly looks the part of a perennial All-Star, every bit the Paul Pierce type he's been billed as... but Wiggins has a higher ceiling as a true, all-around 'impact player'. For example I don't think Parker will ever make a true defensive impact on the NBA - I could be wrong, but I don't see it - whereas Wiggins could become an absolute defensive monster.

And while Wiggins is rawer right now, he has exactly the sort of game that will allow him to thrive in the NBA, where things are more open (at least in regular season play). He'll get a lot of transition points and straight lines to the basket... he's got the ability to draw tons of fouls with his slashing game too, with the sort of agility and body control you just can't teach. In today's NBA, he only needs that and the occasional 3 pointer to be a star (if he has only that he'll be an overrated one, but no one will care). Besides, you can see that the scoring talent is there - just look at the Kobe-esque stepback he made late in the game.

Not sold on Randle yet. He gets a lot of his points by overpowering opponents, doesn't finish that well through contact, relies a lot on guys biting on fakes good defenders don't actually bite on. What he's got going for him in the NBA is his quickness. He's got the tools to do a lot of damage... but at best I see him as a 20/10 player, only not of the the sort that you'd actually want leading your franchise. The Antoine Walker, Derrick Coleman type (not saying he plays like them, just in terms of impact).

In terms of pure potential, not just looking at the small sample of college games we have, Wiggins would be the sort of guy that could conceivably lead your franchise to a title down the line, Parker would make it a perennial playoff contender, and Randle would put up stats but keep you in mediocrity.

TheTruth11
11-13-2013, 03:30 PM

Parker certainly looks the part of a perennial All-Star, every bit the Paul Pierce type he's been billed as... but Wiggins has a higher ceiling as a true, all-around 'impact player'. For example I don't think Parker will ever make a true defensive impact on the NBA - I could be wrong, but I don't see it - whereas Wiggins could become an absolute defensive monster.

And while Wiggins is rawer right now, he has exactly the sort of game that will allow him to thrive in the NBA, where things are more open (at least in regular season play). He'll get a lot of transition points and straight lines to the basket... he's got the ability to draw tons of fouls with his slashing game too, with the sort of agility and body control you just can't teach. In today's NBA, he only needs that and the occasional 3 pointer to be a star (if he has only that he'll be an overrated one, but no one will care). Besides, you can see that the scoring talent is there - just look at the Kobe-esque stepback he made late in the game.

Not sold on Randle yet. He gets a lot of his points by overpowering opponents, doesn't finish that well through contact, relies a lot on guys biting on fakes good defenders don't actually bite on. What he's got going for him in the NBA is his quickness. He's got the tools to do a lot of damage... but at best I see him as a 20/10 player, only not of the the sort that you'd actually want leading your franchise. The Antoine Walker, Derrick Coleman type (not saying he plays like them, just in terms of impact).

Parker is a much better athlete than you are giving him credit for. He went backboard high to dunk one last night on the ooop. And he has that jab step and first step that allow him to get wherever he wants to go. All his tools were on display last night.

Give me the guy who has the great skills plus good to great athleticism any day over the great athlete that may never develop skills.

Classic example... you would be hard pressed to find a guy more athletic EVER than James White... or even Gerald Green. And yet both guys are in and out of the league.

Jailblazers7
11-13-2013, 03:37 PM
It's quite obvious just by watching him on the court and listening to him in interviews. I've been following Kobe since 1995 and even back then it was apparent that he had a burning desire to be the best. I remember in an interview how he talked about how back at Lower Merion, he used to get up at like 5am, workout for a few hours, go to school, then workout again after school (nearly every day). The guy was willing to do whatever it took to be the best and I just don't sense that same drive in Wiggins. The guy doesn't even seem excited to be on the court most of the time and looks like he's just going through the motions.

I could be 100% wrong, but my gut tells me I won't be and I won't be surprised if Wiggins ends up being another Andre Iguodala and not another Lebron.

Idk, it seems awfully silly to me that you are making that assumption based on a few interviews and two games. He might just be a soft spoken kid who gets nervous in front of the camera during interviews. Just because he isn't outspoken about how he wants to be the best or how hard he works but that doesn't mean the drive isn't there.

People tend to forget that these are kids who's game AND personality that will grow with time and experience.

BoutPractice
11-13-2013, 03:38 PM
I didn't say Parker wasn't a good athlete, just that Wiggins is noticeably better in that category. I don't question Parker's offense at all, I think he will be a tremendous offensive player in the NBA.

The Gerald Green or James White comparison I just don't see. Wiggins is raw, but he has a natural basketball talent these two just don't have. I think James White played four years in college, and his freshman year averaged something like 6 ppg... without the 1 and done rule, Wiggins would have been drafted first straight out of high school. The scouts aren't just seeing athleticism, they're seeing pure talent.

TheTruth11
11-13-2013, 03:53 PM
I didn't say Parker wasn't a good athlete, just that Wiggins is noticeably better in that category. I don't question Parker's offense at all, I think he will be a tremendous offensive player in the NBA.

The Gerald Green or James White comparison I just don't see. Wiggins is raw, but he has a natural basketball talent these two just don't have. I think James White played four years in college, and his freshman year averaged something like 6 ppg... without the 1 and done rule, Wiggins would have been drafted first straight out of high school. The scouts aren't just seeing athleticism, they're seeing pure talent.

I hear you. But there is nothing in Jabari's past or present that says he is not a good defender. In fact, he is known to be a very good defender already. Will he get better? Sure. And is that something he works on? Sure. But that is more out of desire to be the best than because he is somehow deficient.

Now, can Wiggins end up being the better defender? No doubt. But I doubt if Wiggins will ever be the offensive player Parker is. It is rare to find someone as big as Parker who is that fluid, great handles, great passer, stroke it from deep plus drive it to the hole. He has it all. With that package as long as he is not a liability on "D" it is hard to go wrong.

Plus I must say, I do love his on-court demeanor. There is no disappearing for long stretches with him. The kid is coming for you every night so you better be ready.

Dolphin
11-13-2013, 04:13 PM
I hear you. But there is nothing in Jabari's past or present that says he is not a good defender. In fact, he is known to be a very good defender already. Will he get better? Sure. And is that something he works on? Sure. But that is more out of desire to be the best than because he is somehow deficient.

Now, can Wiggins end up being the better defender? No doubt. But I doubt if Wiggins will ever be the offensive player Parker is. It is rare to find someone as big as Parker who is that fluid, great handles, great passer, stroke it from deep plus drive it to the hole. He has it all. With that package as long as he is not a liability on "D" it is hard to go wrong.

Plus I must say, I do love his on-court demeanor. There is no disappearing for long stretches with him. The kid is coming for you every night so you better be ready.

Parker disappeared in the last and most important stretch of the game.....Not trying to argue that he didn't have a great game, but I think it's worth correcting that point.

Comparing a freshman who can put up 20 ppg easily against top competition to James White doesn't show much IQ btw. It's like I said in this or another thread last night, the way people are comparing Wiggins with Parker/Randle you'd think Wiggins is one of those clumsy big men that average 8/10 and are projected lottery picks based PURELY on potential. Ya, Wiggins is rawer, but in case people didn't notice, he scored 22 points on 9/15 shooting whiles missing the last 11 minutes of the first half. I feel like Mugatu when he says "I feel like I'm taking crazy pills". lol

It's not about Wiggins being better or having the better pro career. It's the fact that people are seemingly trying to reduce him to the Candy Man....yes, that name was dropped in reference to Wiggins....lol

Bobby13
11-13-2013, 04:26 PM
Wiggins' close-out ability is insane. He has the potential to be one of the best defensive players ever with the tools he has. His offensive game is obviously limited right now. Just look at his jumper and his free throw motion. Clunky right now but do you really think he won't improve in that aspect as time moves forward? Right now I think he knows he has a poor jumper, so when he gets a favorable match-up he seems to dish it out because of non-confidence rather than attempt to break his man down. I feel like I've seen the kind of player Parker will be in the NBA. I haven't seen anything close to the kind of player Wiggins will be.

outbreak
11-13-2013, 04:43 PM
after 2 games at 18 years old it's impossible to tell and statements like this are just silly

TheTruth11
11-13-2013, 04:45 PM
Parker disappeared in the last and most important stretch of the game.....Not trying to argue that he didn't have a great game, but I think it's worth correcting that point.

Comparing a freshman who can put up 20 ppg easily against top competition to James White doesn't show much IQ btw. It's like I said in this or another thread last night, the way people are comparing Wiggins with Parker/Randle you'd think Wiggins is one of those clumsy big men that average 8/10 and are projected lottery picks based PURELY on potential. Ya, Wiggins is rawer, but in case people didn't notice, he scored 22 points on 9/15 shooting whiles missing the last 11 minutes of the first half. I feel like Mugatu when he says "I feel like I'm taking crazy pills". lol

It's not about Wiggins being better or having the better pro career. It's the fact that people are seemingly trying to reduce him to the Candy Man....yes, that name was dropped in reference to Wiggins....lol

You missed the point. I was comparing them "athletically." And keep the conversation mature. There no need for the childish name calling.

As for disappearing, Wiggins failed to appear for a whole half. Just sayin. Parker carried his team on his shoulders for virtually the entire game until he got in foul trouble down the stretch.

Bottom line, both should be really good. I don't believe you can go wrong with either one. But for my money, I rank them like this: 1. Parker, 2. Randle, 3. Wiggins. It will really come down to who is drafting where and team needs.

TheTruth11
11-13-2013, 04:48 PM
Wiggins' close-out ability is insane. He has the potential to be one of the best defensive players ever with the tools he has. His offensive game is obviously limited right now. Just look at his jumper and his free throw motion. Clunky right now but do you really think he won't improve in that aspect as time moves forward? Right now I think he knows he has a poor jumper, so when he gets a favorable match-up he seems to dish it out because of non-confidence rather than attempt to break his man down. I feel like I've seen the kind of player Parker will be in the NBA. I haven't seen anything close to the kind of player Wiggins will be.

It was just one game. Too early to tell if he can be an effective closer.

I don't think we have seen Parker before. And if we have, he has a chance to be +2 of almost anyone that you might want to compare him to

Goliath Uterus
11-13-2013, 04:50 PM

there's nothing wrong with his motion, he's just doesn't have that great of a jumper yet. Bron and D-Wade didn't at that age either, so it's nothing to be worried about. and his jumper is pretty damn good, he's got a quick release and can get it off against anyone - he's just streaky.

his ballhandling is really good. not sure what footage you've been watching. and I'm also not sure were you've heard he doesn't work hard, but that's entirely untrue. you're just making wild assumptions based on the fact that he's quiet

Goliath Uterus
11-13-2013, 04:53 PM
after 2 games at 18 years old it's impossible to tell and statements like this are just silly

yep. this was all really just a meaningless game in November.

IGOTGAME
11-13-2013, 05:22 PM

In terms of pure potential, not just looking at the small sample of college games we have, Wiggins would be the sort of guy that could conceivably lead your franchise to a title down the line, Parker would make it a perennial playoff contender, and Randle would put up stats but keep you in mediocrity.

Kobe-esqe this is getting silly.

BoutPractice
11-13-2013, 06:14 PM
Or Melo-esque, or Crawford-esque, whoever you want. Point is, it was the move of someone with scoring instincts.

EllisGW
11-13-2013, 06:25 PM

Best post i've seen on these board. Someone find him job in basketball operations.

TheTruth11
11-13-2013, 08:05 PM
Best post i've seen on these board. Someone find him job in basketball operations.

Whenever I have seen Parker play (no matter where he plays) he plays like he owns the place. That is the best way to describe it. That is something you can't teach. The great ones have that

Dolphin
11-13-2013, 08:39 PM
You missed the point. I was comparing them "athletically." And keep the conversation mature. There no need for the childish name calling.

As for disappearing, Wiggins failed to appear for a whole half. Just sayin. Parker carried his team on his shoulders for virtually the entire game until he got in foul trouble down the stretch.

Bottom line, both should be really good. I don't believe you can go wrong with either one. But for my money, I rank them like this: 1. Parker, 2. Randle, 3. Wiggins. It will really come down to who is drafting where and team needs.

Wiggins sat on the bench for the last 11 minutes due to foul trouble. Parker had 8 pts and Wiggins had 6 at that point. I don't think you understand what I mean by "disappearing". lol

BTW stating that something someone says doesn't show much IQ isn't name calling. Someone who compares athletic scrubs to Wiggins is showing a lack of IQ. If you weren't directly comparing, then that's fine....what you implied by dropping James White and Gerald Green was left very vague is all.

JtotheIzzo
11-14-2013, 12:00 AM
lets talk about facts.

Wiggins entered a virtual tie with around five minutes left and his team won by eleven. Wiggins scored much of those points in different manners, including a step back J.

So, the idea he isn't clutch, not a leader etc. is factually incorrect.

Parker did most of his damage when Wiggins was on the bench in the 'second quarter' (aka the last ten minutes of the first half).

His frame can fill out, his skill set will smooth out, but lets be real, his ceiling is at a different level.

When the pressure was on and the game was on the line, Wiggins was better and lead his team to victory.

THAT my friends is all you need to know.

EnoughSaid
11-14-2013, 01:04 AM
My honest opinion is this. Parker's ceiling is a 27-30/6/5 type of guy who will be a lights out scorer. That's it.

Wiggins on the other hand? Well he can go as far as he wants to, and become a terrific two way player who is a defensive beast and an offensive juggernaut.

Dolphin
11-14-2013, 01:07 AM
My honest opinion is this. Parker's ceiling is a 27-30/6/5 type of guy who will be a lights out scorer. That's it.

Wiggins on the other hand? Well he can go as far as he wants to, and become a terrific two way player who is a defensive beast and an offensive juggernaut.

I would hope my GM drafts a guy who peaks at 30/6/5 and that's it. lol

veilside23
11-14-2013, 05:12 AM
Whenever I have seen Parker play (no matter where he plays) he plays like he owns the place. That is the best way to describe it. That is something you can't teach. The great ones have that

He owns the place where? not trying to discredit parker he will be a great nba player... but something tells me that you love him so much because he plays like melo or pierce.. if wiggins is not there sure he may be the 1st pick..

veilside23
11-14-2013, 05:14 AM
lets talk about facts.

Wiggins entered a virtual tie with around five minutes left and his team won by eleven. Wiggins scored much of those points in different manners, including a step back J.

So, the idea he isn't clutch, not a leader etc. is factually incorrect.

Parker did most of his damage when Wiggins was on the bench in the 'second quarter' (aka the last ten minutes of the first half).

His frame can fill out, his skill set will smooth out, but lets be real, his ceiling is at a different level.

When the pressure was on and the game was on the line, Wiggins was better and lead his team to victory.

THAT my friends is all you need to know.

QFT repped

chips93
11-14-2013, 08:52 AM

from watching interviews with tim duncan, can you tell that he has a burning desire to be the best?

i certainly cant, but things have worked out well for him.

BIZARRO
11-14-2013, 10:43 AM
Randle is a beast, Wiggins is very athletic.

But Parker is the truth.

Been saying it since I went to the McDonald's All America game and saw it first hand, there is just something that Parker has that is beyond special.
Not even judging by numbers in that game, this last game, or even what might happen in the next games, but he transcends these other guys with his game and presence and persona.

Glad to see Steve Kerr, Stephen A., Jay Bilas, Chris Broussard, and many others now all coming on board.

Been saying it all along from day one, Parker without a doubt to me is the truth.

Thorpesaurous
11-14-2013, 11:07 AM
I really think the parallells between Wiggins and Young Tracy McGrady are huge.

The early part of McGrady's career he was a dominant, destructive, defensive presence based on his height and length, combined with A+ athleticism. He lacked full focus on it, so it was spotty, but at it's best, he was dominant.
They had similar dispositions. A bit soft spoken. Perhaps shy. And not as assertive as one would want from their star player. There was actually a pretty interesting article on Grantland a few months ago upon TMac's retirement that touched on his personality.
McGrady eventually supplemented his elite physical set with a premier jumpshot, which due to his length, was all but unguardable. I can totally see Wiggins going the same way. And once you see that jumper develop, and have to get close to him, his handle, which will improve, will look dynamic, even if it's not, based solely on his physical get off.
He won't overpower people near the rim very often, just like TMac, but his body control and length are all worldly unique, that should create a ton of hanging and one type hoops.
As the offense improves, it's likely the defense will devolve, if only for energy conservation reasons. But that's assuming Wiggins becomes a league leading scorer. Otherwise you may see more continued balance. And it's possible that Wiggins never fully develops the jumper, and falls somewhere in between, but what he brings physically will keep him relevant offensively regardless.

Parker to me still has some physical questions. He's bigger than Pierce was. It's possible he's a small ball four. What he brings to the table seems to be a unique instinct for the game. I just hope he finds a way to fit into a rotation because he is a classic tweener. I can totally see the Pierce comps. I can also totally see the Melo comps, who has a similar plays bigger sense to him. But a guy who struck me when watching the other night, maybe in part because of the uniform, was Shane Battier. That may seem like a knock, but remember that Battier was in the conversation as the top pick in his draft among some elite HS athletes (the fact none of them panned out as hoped is a different story). And Battier was an elite, national HS POY level prospect by all accounts. Parker already has a more refined offensive game than Battier probably ever had, but there's a similar sense to him on the floor in terms of feel. And that makes me think he could be a much better defender than people are giving him credit for. And as the league continues to get smaller, it's possible he turns out to be true stretch four mismatch type of a guy, bringing the best of a bunch of really good players to the table.

Right now I'd still take Wiggins' upside over anything else. Parker's definitive skills that he brings to the table may jump Randle, who I was all over preseason, if Randle continues to look as lefty dominant, and not the A++ athlete I was hoping for, but my sense is that Randle will play out by years end.

Over three games I think the big move to me is that I have been entirely unimpressed with the Harrisons, and I totally believe at this point the fourth pick will come down to Marcus Smart vs. Dante Exum, or someone falling for Joel Embiid as the best true big prospect available.

Carbine
11-14-2013, 11:40 AM
I don't see the Battier comp at all.

TheTruth11
11-14-2013, 06:28 PM
NBA Scouts are now sceptical of Wiggins... they like Parker and Randle better.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/11/12/5094942/andrew-wiggins-julius-randle-jabari-parker-champions-classic-scouts

KingBeasley08
11-14-2013, 06:36 PM
Parker is my guy. If the Wiz suck again this year, then Randle is the one I want though

Dolphin
11-14-2013, 08:43 PM

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/11/12/5094942/andrew-wiggins-julius-randle-jabari-parker-champions-classic-scouts

Criticism is fine, but even some GM's and scouts are crossing the line into stupidity. "Third or fourth best player right now on Kansas". "Third best freshmen until he tries hard".....we gotta remember GM's and scouts get fired all the time for a reason lol. It's one thing to say Randle and Parker outdid Wggins, it's another thing to say he's a complimentary player for Kansas. lol

What's your opinion on those quotes, Truth11?

chips93
11-14-2013, 09:37 PM

FWIW, the quotes from that story came from a story published on the 9th of november, so just after their first games', but before the games in chicago

JtotheIzzo
11-15-2013, 12:21 AM
Criticism is fine, but even some GM's and scouts are crossing the line into stupidity. "Third or fourth best player right now on Kansas". "Third best freshmen until he tries hard".....we gotta remember GM's and scouts get fired all the time for a reason lol. It's one thing to say Randle and Parker outdid Wggins, it's another thing to say he's a complimentary player for Kansas. lol

What's your opinion on those quotes, Truth11?

That was written before the games were played.

The 'controversy' over who is best is great media fodder and great for interest, expect to hear it all year, but after watching those games, you'd have to have one huge ******* not to take Wiggins first.

I really dislike the characterizations that he isn't a leader or is not driven to win because he is mild mannered. He isn't American, is not going to have the personality of a black American player.
On the court he took the game over and drove his team to win. He's gone head to head with both Randle and Parker and owned them, even in this game when he was guarding Parker he had him in a pretzel.

TheTruth11
11-19-2013, 09:06 AM
http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/11/...classic-scouts

The analysis in the article above was BEFORE Parker got off to his amazing start. Something like 58% from the field and an amazing 68% from 3 point land. All while showing outstanding athleticism.

I don't think Parker liked being looked at as the #2 or #3 player in the land. He is playing like a man possessed right now. He is playing like the # 1 player in the country. These guys may flip flop and change positions all year but there can be no doubt that if the draft were held today Jabari Parker would go #1.

Goliath Uterus
11-19-2013, 04:42 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/11/...classic-scouts

The analysis in the article above was BEFORE Parker got off to his amazing start. Something like 58% from the field and an amazing 68% from 3 point land. All while showing outstanding athleticism.

I don't think Parker liked being looked at as the #2 or #3 player in the land. He is playing like a man possessed right now. He is playing like the # 1 player in the country. These guys may flip flop and change positions all year but there can be no doubt that if the draft were held today Jabari Parker would go #1.

Yea, there would be huge doubt actually. it's a small minority who thinks Parker should go first, not the other way around. NBA drafts on potential, and not only does Wiggins have far more potential than Parker, he has played just as well (or better, depending on who you ask) in the few meaningless games that have been played thus far.

FreezingTsmoove
11-19-2013, 10:36 PM
Parker just has so many offensive elements to his game. Can run the break in transistion, cam shoot, point guard like playmaking. I too believe he will emerge as the best of the class. He just has an aura to him

GOBB
11-19-2013, 10:47 PM
Wilbon is a homer

BIZARRO
11-20-2013, 12:52 AM
Yea, there would be huge doubt actually. it's a small minority who thinks Parker should go first, not the other way around. NBA drafts on potential, and not only does Wiggins have far more potential than Parker, he has played just as well (or better, depending on who you ask) in the few meaningless games that have been played thus far.

What have you been watching?

I mean, just as a fan of the game of basketball Jabari Parker is like a man possessed right now.

You could say Wiggins may one day be better (which I've been saying since day one is flat out wrong), but to say Wiggins has played just as well is COMPLETELY off. Parker has outclassed him very badly so far.

Parker is playing like an NBA veteran with his polish, skills, and leadership.

noob cake
11-20-2013, 03:33 AM

I mean, just as a fan of the game of basketball Jabari Parker is like a man possessed right now.

You could say Wiggins may one day be better (which I've been saying since day one is flat out wrong), but to say Wiggins has played just as well is COMPLETELY off. Parker has outclassed him very badly so far.

Wiggins fans always tell us that Parker is not athletic enough.

http://i.imgur.com/YpsNVnd.jpg

Tonight, he botched an alley-oop by maybe an inch and was absolutely sky high. Can't find video of that failed play.

JtotheIzzo
11-20-2013, 05:15 AM

Trouble with this quote is there was no stopping Wiggins when the game was on the line, and no sight of Parker when the game was on the line.

If you want guys who are gonna be stars they have to be there when the game is on the line and win it for their team, that is what Wiggins did and that is where Parker shrunk.

Parker looked the best player of all college hoops in the 1st half when he was stroking, no doubt about that, but only one guy was there in the clutch and only one team won.

Your statement is ludicrous when the last five minutes (of a tie game no less) are in discussion.

Project018
11-20-2013, 12:34 PM
Don't forget Wiggins reclassified himself to be in this "class" he could still be in high school if he wanted too. Wiggins easily has the higher potential. He is raw right now. I believe his offensive skill set will come. Lets give him some time before we say Parker is/will be better just b/c he scoring more points, making more highlight moves, etc. right now.

Jailblazers7
11-20-2013, 12:41 PM
Don't forget Wiggins reclassified himself to be in this "class" he could still be in high school if he wanted too. Wiggins easily has the higher potential. He is raw right now. I believe his offensive skill set will come. Lets give him some time before we say Parker is/will be better just b/c he scoring more points, making more highlight moves, etc. right now.

People reclassify all the time tho. It is basically just a way that kids hedge their bets on getting into a top D1 program. Hold you kid back a grade so he can potentially be a year older during his senior year in HS and play at a higher level...if he is good enough as a junior you reclassify and head off to college.

Wiggins is actually a month older than Parker.

Thorpesaurous
11-20-2013, 01:21 PM
People reclassify all the time tho. It is basically just a way that kids hedge their bets on getting into a top D1 program. Hold you kid back a grade so he can potentially be a year older during his senior year in HS and play at a higher level...if he is good enough as a junior you reclassify and head off to college.

Wiggins is actually a month older than Parker.

There was a really interesting brief video podcast about the re-classification on Grantland with Jalen Rose.

BIZARRO
11-20-2013, 02:38 PM
Regardless of what anyone is watching, projecting, or analyzing. Jabari Parker is as impressive as any freshman since Durant.

2:35 on this vid... :bowdown:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24250486/video-just-see-how-awesome-jabari-parker-is-right-here

IGOTGAME
11-20-2013, 02:44 PM
Regardless of what anyone is watching, projecting, or analyzing. Jabari Parker is as impressive as any freshman since Durant.

2:35 on this vid... :bowdown:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24250486/video-just-see-how-awesome-jabari-parker-is-right-here

He is a great talent and imo the best player right now. But, Wiggins has some tools that you just can't teach. That first step is all-time elite level. Skill is great but being able to beat defenders like in a 6"8 body/great wingspan is freakish. I'll have to see more but right now Wiggins just looks like a freak. He will eventually add some skill imo...he has a good base.

Goliath Uterus
11-20-2013, 05:34 PM

I'm not really sure what "a man possessed means" but Jabari has played very well, but hasn't outclassed Wiggins by any means. They played, and Wiggins outplayed him when they were both on the court (especially when Wiggins guarded Parker) and Wiggins took over and made huge plays when the game was on the line.

Parker is more poised, more aggressive, has a better skill set at this point, and is a more vocal leader, but Wiggins is a world class athlete who's already really good at moving off ball, can finish around the rim just as well as anyone, and due to his ridiculous length and athleticism - is a dominant defender.

Like I said, it's arguable, but Wiggins is gonna improve more than Parker over the course of this year, and he's already outplayed them every time they've matched up. Duke also relies on Parker far more for scoring than KU does Wiggins and yet he only averages 5 more points.

TheTruth11
11-20-2013, 05:37 PM
He is a great talent and imo the best player right now. But, Wiggins has some tools that you just can't teach. That first step is all-time elite level. Skill is great but being able to beat defenders like in a 6"8 body/great wingspan is freakish. I'll have to see more but right now Wiggins just looks like a freak. He will eventually add some skill imo...he has a good base.

Jabari Parker has a 7 foot wingspan and so does Wiggins. But like Steven A. Smith said (love him or hate him but he knows his basketball), Jabari Parker is bigger, stronger and has more range and much better handles than Wiggins. Parker handles the ball like a guard. You can't teach that. And you can't teach his range and deft shooting touch. Steven A. said he loves Parker's "floor presence" - plays like he owns the place! And called him a very good athlete. PARKER HAS IT ALL. Steven A. called Wiggins a "project" that might never pan out. He is really worried about Wiggins' lack of handles, range and the fact that he is so small physically (thin). He believes the fact that he lacks size and strength will could him in the NBA game.

Steven A. views Parker as the #1 pick.

Goliath Uterus
11-20-2013, 05:45 PM
Jabari Parker has a 7 foot wingspan and so does Wiggins. But like Steven A. Smith said (love him or hate him but he knows his basketball), Jabari Parker is bigger, stronger and has more range and much better handles than Wiggins. Parker handles the ball like a guard. You can't teach that. And you can't teach his range and deft shooting touch. Steven A. called Wiggins a "project" that might never pan out. He is really worried about Wiggins' lack of handles, range and the fact that he is so small physically (thin). He believes the fact that he lacks size and strength will could him in the NBA game.

actually, ball handling and shooting aren't hard to improve on at all. it's stuff like Wiggins first step, his lighting quick spin move, or his absurd vertical that you can't teach. Wiggins is already improving his shot, and is already a bit bigger than he was the beginning of the year. his ball handling also isn't bad at all, I'm not sure why people keep saying that.

Dolphin
11-20-2013, 06:00 PM
When watching Wiggins and Parker, it's hard not keep looking at both sides of the coin.

1. Wiggins is passive to a fault especially compared to Parker. However, he is playing well within Bill Self's offense. While he should be a little more aggressive, he also makes absolutely zero mistakes. His passes are crisp and always the right one. It's hard at times to draw the line as to when he is hesitant to drive due to not having supreme handles as of yet, and when he's trying to do exactly what Self wants right now.

2. Parker looked a lot more productive if you watched both of their games last night. However, Parker and Hood are the entire offense for Duke except maybe a game here and there throughout the season. Parker also has no real competition for boards other than Hood who isn't a big man and Jefferson (who isn't great). If Parker played alongside Ellis, Embid, Selden and even Tharpe/Mason, would he be averaging 22 ppg? I say No. Would he be grabbing 10 rpg? That's a more definite no. That doesn't mean he wouldn't still look to control the game, but opportunities become fewer and farther between. Let's just make this plain and simple, Kansas' team is considerably better than Duke's imo. The eye test says Parker is much more aggressive, but if you're looking at the stats to defend that point, you may be looking in the wrong place. Parker went 8-18 last night including a couple easy put-backs that he missed and a missed alley-oop. Wiggins went 4-9, which included one three point air ball and one bobbled alley-oop attempt. Being more aggressive doesn't necessarily mean being more productive when efficiency is taken into account. That being said, and even after Wiggins outshone Parker in the second half of their head to head matchup, I would still feel more confident with Parker late in a game because his more refined offense and super thick skin is beneficial especially if he misses a couple shots. He can shoot himself out of a game perhaps, but Coack K can't really complain much this season considering, as I said, Duke's offense is horrid outside of Parker and Hood. So as I'm giving Wiggins a slight pass for being a bit passive in Self's offense, Parker deserves a bit of a pass for potential bad shooting % this season.

3. Just a fact. If Parker played this way at Kansas, he would be benched by Self early on a bit. With the talent they have, going ape shit and potentially missing a few shots in a row is met with more scorn at Kansas (and there will be times when Parker hogs the ball and misses shots this year, but again, at Duke it has to be more accepted). Wiggins would be forced to shoot more at Duke. That to me would be the most interesting situation...Wiggins on a team such as Duke. How would he look if he had to carry the load a lot more.

4. I just want to add that Wiggins shooting form is quite good. He needs to let the ball roll off his fingers a little better to get the arc, but his arm form is good. I would place myself on the side that believes he will become a fine shooter in the NBA (even his air ball was on line...just over shot it). His dribble isn't all world, but with his quickness, it isn't THAT bad. He is hesitant to drive on guys who are a few inches shorter than him, but that is understandable. He needs to drive more to garner a stronger opinion of his dribble at this level. Again, how much is him not trusting himself vs. playing within the system? I don't know. He looked good on that one quick drive and dish to Ellis. Quick points: He is an underrated passer and a good defender who has the potential to be great. He lets guys go by him sometimes knowing that he can recover and I think that's due to him being afraid to pick up fouls, but you can see it in his steals last night and overall he is good to great on defense. Better than Parker for sure.

5. Parker doesn't need much help on offense. Maybe finish around the basket a little stronger and be a little more patient at times. Defense? It's hard to judge where he will be at in the NBA. He is guarding the post mainly in college due to the size of Duke. I said before he needs to lose maybe 10-15 lbs to guard small forwards in the NBA, but I'm not sure about his intensity or smarts on the perimeter because he doesn't guard out there as much as Wiggins.

KingBeasley08
11-20-2013, 07:31 PM
Parker has been balling this year. Best college player since Beasley :bowdown:

veilside23
11-20-2013, 08:24 PM
Parker has been balling this year. Best college player since Beasley :bowdown:

care to say how's beasley now ? i do hope parker doesnt end up like him :)

KingBeasley08
11-20-2013, 08:26 PM
care to say how's beasley now ? i do hope parker doesnt end up like him :)
Touche :lol

JtotheIzzo
11-21-2013, 05:37 AM
Jabari Parker has a 7 foot wingspan and so does Wiggins. But like Steven A. Smith said (love him or hate him but he knows his basketball), Jabari Parker is bigger, stronger and has more range and much better handles than Wiggins. Parker handles the ball like a guard. You can't teach that. And you can't teach his range and deft shooting touch. Steven A. said he loves Parker's "floor presence" - plays like he owns the place! And called him a very good athlete. PARKER HAS IT ALL. Steven A. called Wiggins a "project" that might never pan out. He is really worried about Wiggins' lack of handles, range and the fact that he is so small physically (thin). He believes the fact that he lacks size and strength will could him in the NBA game.

You can't teach handles or range?

What exactly does one do to develop a player than?

Wiggins a project? LOL Wiggins could start for any team in the NBA right now.

Small? That is a good thing, he can always add size, these fools used to say LeBron was too big.

Bottom line, it is great for the talking heads that there is this conversation, so expect to hear it all year, but also, expect Wiggins to go first, despite what the build you up, tear you down and build you up machine at ESPN does.

Thorpesaurous
11-21-2013, 10:36 AM
I believe I heard this from Steve Kerr, who was relating a story he got from Grant Hill, about how good Parker is.

Hill apparently was playing pickup at Duke in the off season with a bunch of current and former Dukies, and said Parker was absolutely spectacular. Absolutely no question he was among the best players on the floor including a few current pros.

And the thing he said that set him apart was just how big he is. He's a legit 6-9, with length, and he says really impressively strong. That was the biggest thing. He could totally hold up in the post against anyone there.

And I think that's one of the biggest reasons Parker's value seems to be jumping. Yeah he's playing great, but I don't think he's playing so great that anyone is shocked. It's the fact that's he's playing center. His rebounding numbers are super. And his blocked shot numbers are great. And in the current NBA, I think the big question surrounding Parker coming into the season was position. He had a little tweener on him. Was he quick enough to defend at the SF spot. Was he big enough to hold up as a PF and could he rebound and defend for you up on that frontcourt. I think more than anything he's establishing that he can play PF in today's NBA. Carmello is playing a ton of PF. Guys like Jeff Green are playing PF. I think more teams are getting higher on him because they can now fully envision him as a stretch four breaking down bigger guys off the bounce and pulling defenders away from the rim. And they don't see him as being a liability in the other elements most stretch PFs bring to the table there if he can translate the rebounding at shot blocking in particular. And he can still play SF in a lot of situations.

Tweeners are weird. It's a fine line between being a mismatch at both positions, and being overmatched at both positions. So they're often total boom or bust prospects.

Jailblazers7
11-21-2013, 12:10 PM
There was a really interesting brief video podcast about the re-classification on Grantland with Jalen Rose.

Yeah, I remember watching that sometime in the summer and it kind of brought the topic to my attention more. The incentive is easily understood and it is probably a good decision for many families but it is still a little hard to swallow. Sports have just became such an important part of social mobility for many poor families.

I hear what you are saying about Parker in the post above. I think he has shown he will probably be able to play the 4 pretty consistently in the NBA while mixing some time in at the 3. Before the season, I had envisioned him playing more 3 than 4 in the NBA but I definitely see it the other way around after seeing him at Duke so far.

IGOTGAME
11-21-2013, 12:41 PM
I believe I heard this from Steve Kerr, who was relating a story he got from Grant Hill, about how good Parker is.

Hill apparently was playing pickup at Duke in the off season with a bunch of current and former Dukies, and said Parker was absolutely spectacular. Absolutely no question he was among the best players on the floor including a few current pros.

And the thing he said that set him apart was just how big he is. He's a legit 6-9, with length, and he says really impressively strong. That was the biggest thing. He could totally hold up in the post against anyone there.

And I think that's one of the biggest reasons Parker's value seems to be jumping. Yeah he's playing great, but I don't think he's playing so great that anyone is shocked. It's the fact that's he's playing center. His rebounding numbers are super. And his blocked shot numbers are great. And in the current NBA, I think the big question surrounding Parker coming into the season was position. He had a little tweener on him. Was he quick enough to defend at the SF spot. Was he big enough to hold up as a PF and could he rebound and defend for you up on that frontcourt. I think more than anything he's establishing that he can play PF in today's NBA. Carmello is playing a ton of PF. Guys like Jeff Green are playing PF. I think more teams are getting higher on him because they can now fully envision him as a stretch four breaking down bigger guys off the bounce and pulling defenders away from the rim. And they don't see him as being a liability in the other elements most stretch PFs bring to the table there if he can translate the rebounding at shot blocking in particular. And he can still play SF in a lot of situations.

Tweeners are weird. It's a fine line between being a mismatch at both positions, and being overmatched at both positions. So they're often total boom or bust prospects.
Good post. I agree and think that Jabari is just gonna be a mismatch at either spot. I feel like he is good at playing angles and that will also allow him to guard 3s.

Dizzle-2k7
11-21-2013, 02:44 PM
actually, ball handling and shooting aren't hard to improve on at all.

BULLSHlT

yea you can "improve" ball handling, but if you dont have it by now you aint never gonna get it . and by "it" i mean "IT" .. that factor parker has is "IT".

wiggins looks like corey brewer out there while parker looks like melo/pierce hybrid . its not even close and i dont see how wiggins was this hyped with his limited skillset.

noob cake
11-21-2013, 02:55 PM
BULLSHlT

yea you can "improve" ball handling, but if you dont have it by now you aint never gonna get it . and by "it" i mean "IT" .. that factor parker has is "IT".

wiggins looks like corey brewer out there while parker looks like melo/pierce hybrid . its not even close and i dont see how wiggins was this hyped with his limited skillset.

This,

Wiggins has been playing basketball for his whole life. He is not some African kid who started basketball 3 years ago.

IGOTGAME
11-21-2013, 02:58 PM
BULLSHlT

Look at TMac.

noob cake
11-21-2013, 03:06 PM
Look at TMac.

TMac's handles was way more advanced than Wiggins at the same age. Besides TMac is the exception, not the norm.

IGOTGAME
11-21-2013, 03:30 PM
TMac's handles was way more advanced than Wiggins at the same age. Besides TMac is the exception, not the norm.
And athletically they are both exceptions to pretty much everything.

unbreakable
11-21-2013, 03:37 PM
Look at TMac.

TMAC always had handles and a natural feel for the game.. bad comparison..

IGOTGAME
11-21-2013, 03:41 PM
TMAC always had handles and a natural feel for the game.. bad comparison..Rookie TMac wasn't that different from how Wiggins look now.

unbreakable
11-21-2013, 05:25 PM
Rookie TMac wasn't that different from how Wiggins look now.

again i disagree. tmacs always had a crossover, stutter, and touch. wiggins handles the rock like george hill lmao

noob cake
11-21-2013, 10:20 PM
again i disagree. tmacs always had a crossover, stutter, and touch. wiggins handles the rock like george hill lmao

lol Hill has passable handles for a PG. Wiggins is at best average for a NBA SF. If he could handle as well as a PG, we wouldn't have this discussion.

BIZARRO
11-22-2013, 02:41 AM
Totally agree, the Wiggins love has been absurd since day one.

If you just watch them on the court Parker and Randle are men, and Wiggins is an unskilled boy who can jump high.

I love all these blind Wiggins fans who go by everything they were told about him rather than by watching him play. Went to the McDonald's All-American game and took one look at him and thought WHAT? THIS is the guy they're raving about? Didn't add up.

And then to make it worse, all this potential talk as if he just started playing. You are who you are out there. Once in a while you'll get a T-Mac who really improves, but for every T-Mac there's a ton of Ronnie Fields and people like that.

Parker and Randle are sure fire can't miss prospects. Parker is transcendent.
Wiggins is a fabrication that for whatever reason people bought into before they saw him consistently play.

In fact, I think he is one of the most inaccurately scouted players ever before he hit college. Anyone who put him above Parker should lose their jobs.
I mean, I took one look at them and was like Parker is incredible and Wiggins has zero aura whatsoever.

I hope Wiggins turns into something, but this whole thing is so stupid to me and makes no sense how he got so hyped.

WhySoInsecure?
11-22-2013, 02:56 AM
Totally agree, the Wiggins love has been absurd since day one.

If you just watch them on the court Parker and Randle are men, and Wiggins is an unskilled boy who can jump high.

I love all these blind Wiggins fans who go by everything they were told about him rather than by watching him play. Went to the McDonald's All-American game and took one look at him and thought WHAT? THIS is the guy they're raving about? Didn't add up.

And then to make it worse, all this potential talk as if he just started playing. You are who you are out there. Once in a while you'll get a T-Mac who really improves, but for every T-Mac there's a ton of Ronnie Fields and people like that.

Parker and Randle are sure fire can't miss prospects. Parker is transcendent.
Wiggins is a fabrication that for whatever reason people bought into before they saw him consistently play.

In fact, I think he is one of the most inaccurately scouted players ever before he hit college. Anyone who put him above Parker should lose their jobs.
I mean, I took one look at them and was like Parker is incredible and Wiggins has zero aura whatsoever.

I hope Wiggins turns into something, but this whole thing is so stupid to me and makes no sense how he got so hyped.
Agree on most of this except for Randle. He moves well with the ball but he's undersized, is an average athlete and is not a presence on the defensive end. He'll get stuck between the 4 and the 3 and you really can't build your team around that.

BIZARRO
11-22-2013, 03:18 AM
Here's a great article from a day ago on Jabari Parker. I think it's spot on and a good read:

http://deadspin.com/college-basketball-cant-handle-jabari-parker-1468283449?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+deadspin%2Ffull+(Deadspin)

It's just the way he affects the game as much as anything as well. You just have to watch him to KNOW he's better than everybody else. No wonder the guy won all 4 state titles in high school.

Jailblazers7
11-22-2013, 11:26 AM
The Wiggins criticism has been taken to a bit of an extreme. Anyone remember the criticism of Paul George coming out of college? Couldn't dribble/create for himself and looked a little disinterested at times. The guy has never develop a tight handle because he hasn't needed to. His first step has been good enough to dominate his whole HS career and he isn't given a ton a responsibility at Kansas. Give him 24/7 access to coaches and trainers in the NBA and he will fill out and develop his skills.

Not sure how anyone could say Randle and Parker are sure fire prospects but trash Wiggins for being overhyped. Randle has a lot of work to do in order to be a starting 4 in the NBA. Still really raw and relies to heavily on natural strength and his strong hand. Parker looks great and I think he will be a mismatch problem but, as Thorpe said, there is a fine line between boom and bust when it comes to a tweener.

JtotheIzzo
11-22-2013, 11:58 AM
The Wiggins criticism has been taken to a bit of an extreme. Anyone remember the criticism of Paul George coming out of college? Couldn't dribble/create for himself and looked a little disinterested at times. The guy has never develop a tight handle because he hasn't needed to. His first step has been good enough to dominate his whole HS career and he isn't given a ton a responsibility at Kansas. Give him 24/7 access to coaches and trainers in the NBA and he will fill out and develop his skills.

Not sure how anyone could say Randle and Parker are sure fire prospects but trash Wiggins for being overhyped. Randle has a lot of work to do in order to be a starting 4 in the NBA. Still really raw and relies to heavily on natural strength and his strong hand. Parker looks great and I think he will be a mismatch problem but, as Thorpe said, there is a fine line between boom and bust when it comes to a tweener.

The Wiggins bashing is en vogue right now, people seem to conveniently forget who took over the game when they went head to head and who won, and which player dominated the last five minutes while shutting down the other.

Goliath Uterus
11-22-2013, 01:51 PM
looks like some of the NBA forum trolls have migrated over here.

BULLSHlT

what? you can definitely improve on ballhandling, tons of players have done it. I remember Russ Westbrook having some pretty damn loose handles at UCLA, KU's current PG Naadir Tharpe had trouble bringing the ball up against scrub mid major teams his freshman year. once his handle tightens up just a bit, and he gains more confidence facing double teams, he'll be able to create space much better than Parker (just like he did in HS).

and despite his appartently god awful handles, he's had like 3 TO's in 4 games, and every time he actually tries to take his man on the dribble, he easily blows by and either scores or gets fouled. so I'm not really sure where you get the idea he has poor handles.

Goliath Uterus
11-22-2013, 02:02 PM
wiggins looks like corey brewer out there

http://a.espncdn.com/media/motion/2013/1028/dm_131028_COM_CBB_Feature_Mag_Andrew_Wiggins_Featu re_ODV20131028/dm_131028_COM_CBB_Feature_Mag_Andrew_Wiggins_Featu re_ODV20131028.jpg

http://sports.cbsimg.net/images/visual/whatshot/WIGGINSSTEPBACK_1.gif

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/38833a4cf978635380eeee473ed8e0ad8b1071ab/c=194-148-2224-2854&r=537&c=0-0-534-712/local/-/media/USATODAY/test/2013/11/15//1384535679000-USATSI-7550326.jpg

http://ballislife.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/wiggins.jpg

Thorpesaurous
11-22-2013, 03:51 PM
I'm with Blazers here. At this point I have some, not a whole hell of a lot, and I still think the top five of this draft is a spectacular place to be, but I do have a few reservations about all three of these guys.

Wiggins, definitely has a few skill set issues that need to be worked on, and we've seen guys for whom all the work in the world just aren't great shooters. And more importantly are probably the reserved peronality, which is something I don't have a ton of issue with, unless it does affect his role on a team. The reason the Wiggins bashing has gotten so out of hand at this point is because someone threw out the "Best Prospect since Lebron" line, which hinted at an absolute sure thing. He could at this point realistically fall anywhere from Tracy McGrady to Andre Iguadala. There's a lot of room for variance.

Parker I already touched on. I think his biggest questions coming in where position, and true elite athleticism. He's come closest to answering those questions surrounding him. But they're still there. Especially because I think he's still probably mostly viewed as a not elitely athletic 3 instead of a really athletic if a bit undersized 4. The athleticism has flashed, but hasn't been anywhere near as twitchy explosive as Wiggins. But that IT factor, is definitely there.

Randle has been consistently statistically dominant, but I have been a little underwhelmed by his athleticism, and reliance on his left hand. From what I saw in HS, I was expecting a more dynamic athlete changing ends, something closer to Chris Webber, but he is coming off as more of a bruiser.

It's interesting that those Chicago games touted the Wiggins / Parker matchup, of two guys I think everyone expected to be playing SF. But after the fact, I'da been more intrigued I think to have seen Parker play Randle, because I'd be really interested to see how Parker could hold up. That would've answered a lot more questoins to me.

And I'd take Marcus Smart now at four absolutely no questions asked. Exum is gonna have to show something to jump ahead of Smart at this point in my eyes. Exum and Embiid at this point I'd be looking at 5 and 6 depending mostly on need, with Exum probably a bit ahead if all things are equal.

WhySoInsecure?
11-22-2013, 06:23 PM
Parker I already touched on. I think his biggest questions coming in where position, and true elite athleticism. He's come closest to answering those questions surrounding him. But they're still there. Especially because I think he's still probably mostly viewed as a not elitely athletic 3 instead of a really athletic if a bit undersized 4. The athleticism has flashed, but hasn't been anywhere near as twitchy explosive as Wiggins. But that IT factor, is definitely there.
Guys as "twitchy" as Wiggins don't come around too often, and it's obvious that Jabari doesn't get off the floor like Wiggins, but he has much better footwork and moves really well with the ball. There's no way he'll end up playing the 4 unless he gets stuck in a run and gun offense. It might be working for Duke right now, but they'll get killed in March if he's the only guy down low.

So far he's looking like one of the most well rounded freshmen I've ever seen. You could put him on the Kings right now and he'd have them competing for the playoffs.

Randle has been consistently statistically dominant, but I have been a little underwhelmed by his athleticism, and reliance on his left hand. From what I saw in HS, I was expecting a more dynamic athlete changing ends, something closer to Chris Webber, but he is coming off as more of a bruiser.

I'm not sold on Randle either. He's been bullying his way to the basket and doesn't have the length to play with his back to the basket. Worst part is, he has no impact on the defensive end.

And I'd take Marcus Smart now at four absolutely no questions asked. Exum is gonna have to show something to jump ahead of Smart at this point in my eyes. Exum and Embiid at this point I'd be looking at 5 and 6 depending mostly on need, with Exum probably a bit ahead if all things are equal.
I like Smart but I wouldn't even hesitate to take Embiid. If things go well, and he improves over the next few months, I could see Embiid going second ahead of Wiggins.

JellyBean
11-24-2013, 09:26 PM
Wow this dude is off the charts good. holy smokes

IGOTGAME
11-24-2013, 09:27 PM
Wow this dude is off the charts good. holy smokes
He has to be. This is the dumbest Duke team I can remember.

BIZARRO
11-25-2013, 02:34 AM

noob cake
11-25-2013, 03:04 AM
[QUOTE=BIZARRO]

JellyBean
11-25-2013, 11:25 AM
He has to be. This is the dumbest Duke team I can remember.

Yeah they made some really unDuke like plays this game as well as other games this season.

Qwyjibo
11-25-2013, 03:31 PM
Duke guards literally can't play defense this year. Parker will have to will Duke to wins this year.
They also seemingly don't have anyone over 6'8 who isn't a complete stiff. With the new rule changes, perimeter defense will be neutered and overall defense will be more about interior D and shotblocking like in the NBA. Duke has none of that this yaer.

IGOTGAME
11-25-2013, 06:08 PM
They also seemingly don't have anyone over 6'8 who isn't a complete stiff. With the new rule changes, perimeter defense will be neutered and overall defense will be more about interior D and shotblocking like in the NBA. Duke has none of that this yaer.

its even worst than the NBA. The defender is entitled to basically 0 space. no longer a rule of verticality. Plus, the removal of the arm bar in the post is also absurd. They really lowered the quality of basketball imo.

noob cake
11-26-2013, 03:22 AM
its even worst than the NBA. The defender is entitled to basically 0 space. no longer a rule of verticality. Plus, the removal of the arm bar in the post is also absurd. They really lowered the quality of basketball imo.

NCAA post defense is dead. Close games are practically being played with Kevin Durant style touch fouls now.

veilside23
11-26-2013, 04:10 AM
i agree that parker can be relied on as the focal point of offense.. but in a draft what do you really value production or potential .. we have seen alot of potential that didnt pan out ... Ie Green, Miles, Darko etc...

there were potentials alone that got snubbed and alot were quite jealous of what the outcome is. George, Cousins, Drummond,

there are those who prove that production can easily translate to nba .. Lilard , Broy,...

But you have to understand both randle and parker needs to be this good in order for them to win ...

this is not a knock on wiggins but that kansas team may have been a little under valued ... Ellis, Embid and Black is a freaking front court to have.. then there is Selden and White III .. As i have stated before even without wiggins this kansas team would still be a part of march madness... and maybe even more..

Without parker that duke team would be a joke sorry but that is the reality..
Without randle sure there might be other guys that would step up from time to time but they (parker and randle) need to be consistent for their team to win.

If wiggins would have chosen FSU we might not even have this argument...

Ass Dan
11-27-2013, 01:39 AM
i agree that parker can be relied on as the focal point of offense.. but in a draft what do you really value production or potential .. we have seen alot of potential that didnt pan out ... Ie Green, Miles, Darko etc...

there were potentials alone that got snubbed and alot were quite jealous of what the outcome is. George, Cousins, Drummond,

there are those who prove that production can easily translate to nba .. Lilard , Broy,...

But you have to understand both randle and parker needs to be this good in order for them to win ...

this is not a knock on wiggins but that kansas team may have been a little under valued ... Ellis, Embid and Black is a freaking front court to have.. then there is Selden and White III .. As i have stated before even without wiggins this kansas team would still be a part of march madness... and maybe even more..

Without parker that duke team would be a joke sorry but that is the reality..
Without randle sure there might be other guys that would step up from time to time but they (parker and randle) need to be consistent for their team to win.

If wiggins would have chosen FSU we might not even have this argument...

If Wiggins had chosen FSU, he'd be putting up monster numbers. Bill Self has made it his mission to keep this kid humble, he said in the preseason he wasn't the best player in practice and he has been limiting his playing time and touches. I think in the long run this is the best motive, but the over-keen talking heads will twist and turn it every way they see fit.

As the season goes on we will see more and more Wiggins as he will slowly roll him out.

The Melo/T-Mac stuff is very apt, Parker is a stone-baller with silky skills while Wiggins is a human pogo who seems to be able to turn it on and out athlete better skilled players when the game is one the line (like the Nov. 12 game against Duke). I like Wiggins when push comes to shove, in a head to head game or in potential.

Regarding Randle, he could either be Zach Randolph or Jared Sullinger, the book is not yet written with him.

BIZARRO
11-28-2013, 01:41 PM
If Wiggins had chosen FSU, he'd be putting up monster numbers. Bill Self has made it his mission to keep this kid humble, he said in the preseason he wasn't the best player in practice and he has been limiting his playing time and touches. I think in the long run this is the best motive, but the over-keen talking heads will twist and turn it every way they see fit.

As the season goes on we will see more and more Wiggins as he will slowly roll him out.

The Melo/T-Mac stuff is very apt, Parker is a stone-baller with silky skills while Wiggins is a human pogo who seems to be able to turn it on and out athlete better skilled players when the game is one the line (like the Nov. 12 game against Duke). I like Wiggins when push comes to shove, in a head to head game or in potential.

Regarding Randle, he could either be Zach Randolph or Jared Sullinger, the book is not yet written with him.

Great article on the greatness of Parker:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24293106/jabari-parker-puts-on-first-of-likely-many-great-performances-at-msg

Regarding Parker's defense, an NBA assistant, who has always felt Parker was the best talent over Randle, Wiggins, etc. said:

"I watched him (Parker) guard Kevin Durant for four straight days at Nike Skills Academy. Ask anybody what he did that week. He was ridiculous." :bowdown:

IGOTGAME
11-28-2013, 01:44 PM
Great article on the greatness of Parker:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24293106/jabari-parker-puts-on-first-of-likely-many-great-performances-at-msg

Regarding Parker's defense, an NBA assistant, who has always felt Parker was the best talent over Randle, Wiggins, etc. said:

"I watched him (Parker) guard Kevin Durant for four straight days at Nike Skills Academy. Ask anybody what he did that week. He was ridiculous." :bowdown:
Seems like a good defender to me. Has really good anticipation and understands how to play angles and use his length.

veilside23
11-29-2013, 02:07 AM
Seems like a good defender to me. Has really good anticipation and understands how to play angles and use his length.

parker is a good defender but his defense is not better than wiggins...

BIZARRO
11-29-2013, 02:44 AM
What is it that leads you to believe that? Is it the 6 blocks Parker had against East Carolina?

Parker HAS 3 TIMES as many blocks per game, just as many steals per game, and held his own one on one against KD at his camp.

You're gonna say his quickness, fast twitch, whatever.
Y'all can just throw out these Andrew Wiggins opinions, but there is no statistical evidence to back them, and defense is the one area where he is actually close to Parker.

Listen up, and listen good: Jabari Parker has always been, is right now, and will always be better than the media fabrication of Wiggins. Wiggins is stiff as hell. Almost zero aura on the court.
That doesn't just leave when you get older as much as Wiggins fanboys point to some mythical future.

Jabari Parker is the truth.

From the link below to end the article:
"But they’re still not the same as Parker, because Parker can do everything.
There's not very much this guy can't do, but one thing he is doing is redefining college basketball.What do you think?
Watch while you can, because there will not be another player like Jabari Parker to grace the game for a long time."
http://www.dukechronicle.com/articles/2013/11/28/jabari-parker-experience

veilside23
11-29-2013, 03:47 AM
What is it that leads you to believe that? Is it the 6 blocks Parker had against East Carolina?

Parker HAS 3 TIMES as many blocks per game, just as many steals per game, and held his own one on one against KD at his camp.

Y'all can just throw out these Andrew Wiggins opinions, but there is no statistical evidence to back them, and defense is the one area where he is actually close to Parker.

Listen up, and listen good: Jabari Parker has always been, is right now, and will always be better than the media fabrication of Wiggins. Wiggins is stiff as hell. Almost zero aura on the court.
That doesn't just leave when you get older as much as Wiggins fanboys point to some mythical future.

"But they’re still not the same as Parker, because Parker can do everything.
There's not very much this guy can't do, but one thing he is doing is redefining college basketball.What do you think?
Watch while you can, because there will not be another player like Jabari Parker to grace the game for a long time."
http://www.dukechronicle.com/articles/2013/11/28/jabari-parker-experience

lets just wait once they get to the nba..

and you are wrong paul pierce is the truth

Goliath Uterus
11-29-2013, 04:38 AM
[QUOTE=BIZARRO]What is it that leads you to believe that? Is it the 6 blocks Parker had against East Carolina?

"But they

noob cake
11-29-2013, 05:44 AM
"He's probably, in my eight years as a head coach, the most talented freshman I've seen just from his size, his physicality and his skill level," Alabama coach Anthony Grant said of Parker. "He's able to make tough shots and free himself for the open shot and he's able to get himself to the free throw line. He's just a really, really talented player. They have got a lot of really good players around them, as well."

http://espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400518034

JtotheIzzo
11-29-2013, 08:37 AM
[QUOTE=BIZARRO]What is it that leads you to believe that? Is it the 6 blocks Parker had against East Carolina?

"But they

IGOTGAME
11-29-2013, 08:51 AM
I think what leads me to believe this was Wiggins absolutely shutting Parker out in the last five minutes of their game (where they went head to head finally) and Wiggins team taking a tie game and turning it into an 11 point win. Wiggins was having his way in the clutch, while Parker had run out of steam (well probably didn't run out of steam, but got shut down).

Wiggins is a much better defender, just go on youtube, there are also videos of him going head to head with Julius Randle and playing great D on a much thicker player.

Rebounding is really where Wiggins differentiates himself, his second jump might be the best ever, and he gets off the ground as quick as anyone ever has, this means a high volume of put backs, an ability to protect the rim from help side (a huge bonus to get this from a perimeter player) and when coupled with his length the ability to take rebounds away from players with better position.

Parker is an exceptional talent, and has a smoother, more well rounded game than Wiggins, this cannot be denied but he is more finished product, and while it is a nice product, Wiggins brings things to the table that make him great, with time to work on the skill set. His physical tools are so great that he can actually take over games (like he did against Duke and Parker) just by getting active.

Last night Wiggins had a big second half as well, this will be a common thing this season, Kansas is stacked, the first half will be spent sussing everything out, then Wiggins will close it out. But every game, it'll Perry and Wiggins, Selden and Wiggins, Embiid and Wiggins, there is a constant here, and that is the difference. Put him on Duke, he would need to score 25 a game like Parker is doing to keep them competitive, but on Kansas, he is there on both ends and making his teammates look great.

i was doing something during the second half and only caught bits and pieces but Wiggins wasn't guarding Parker? Are you saying that anyone that doesn't perform while Wiggins is on the court is shut down by him? I think Wiggins has a much higher ceiling but this ******gins is getting out of control. Parker's issue in the second half was that his guards went away from him because they are selfish and horrible players. He has to deal with that every game because they don't like it when Jabari goes off.

Oh and Wiggins isn't making anyone look great. And the idea that he could score 25 on the efficiency that Parker is doing is also just a guess. He had trouble creating his own offense even when defense isn't concentrating on him.

BIZARRO
11-29-2013, 10:20 AM
i was doing something during the second half and only caught bits and pieces but Wiggins wasn't guarding Parker? Are you saying that anyone that doesn't perform while Wiggins is on the court is shut down by him? I think Wiggins has a much higher ceiling but this ******gins is getting out of control. Parker's issue in the second half was that his guards went away from him because they are selfish and horrible players. He has to deal with that every game because they don't like it when Jabari goes off.

Oh and Wiggins isn't making anyone look great. And the idea that he could score 25 on the efficiency that Parker is doing is also just a guess. He had trouble creating his own offense even when defense isn't concentrating on him.

Good post.

Listen I WANT Wiggins to be awesome, but he just looks stiff as hell to me. I took one look at him live at the McDonald's All America game and said THIS is the guy they're making such a big deal of? Looks stiff as hell.
I never said that about Bron, Kobe, Melo, Durant, Tmac, or many lesser players, or Jabari Parker for that matter.

Look at this vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GinULGhuItQ
He looks so stiff and just not IT. Even on his good plays this season, it's just not fluid at all. At all.
1:23, 1:51, 2:39, 4:12, 5:32
This fluidity doesn't just come, you either have it or you don't. There are a few cases where it magically came (aka Paul George), but it's the rare exception, not the norm at all.
I hope it happens. I want Wiggins to be great. But I'm not willing to project something that I don't see happening in his skill set.
You can get by on transition dunks, and good defense because you're athletic for so long, but you need SKILLS to be great in the NBA.

This guy however:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exiGtzX7SSg

Parker has been making jaw dropping plays like this all season.

It's the EYE test people. Parker is absolutely ridiculously skilled, and Wiggins, who I WANT to be good, just doesn't have it. Whatever it is, he doesn't have it.
He may have some tools to project into a great player, but it is pure speculation. If the media never said anything to you about him, and you watched him this season, you'd just be like he's another good guy on Kansas.
And to me that is enough of statement.
But Parker, you'd be like, this is the second coming of a superstar we haven't seen for a few years.

How anyone can watch both of them play this season in total and not see how Parker outclasses Wiggins is beyond me.

The power of the media to create things, and have the public buy in is amazing.

I want Wiggins to be the real deal. I was as jacked as anyone with his maxtape, and excited for him to be the best thing since Lebron, or even just pretty spectacular, but I have seen nothing at Kansas to show it.

Parker on the other hand, is just CRAZY good. And more importantly crazy skilled. Something I don't see Wiggins ever being. I hope I'm wrong.

KingBeasley08
11-29-2013, 03:11 PM
What's the comparisons to Lebron for Wiggins? Lebron as a junior in high school was already way more skilled than Wiggins is now :oldlol:

PP34Deuce
11-29-2013, 03:15 PM
Wiggins plays defense because he's just so athletic he can sleep walk 2 blocks and a couple of steals but it's going to take him being dedicated to defense to be the beast he could be.

Parker already has a better natural feel for the game and could be a 17-18 ppg scorer in the NBA right now.

Goliath Uterus
11-29-2013, 05:19 PM
Good post.

Listen I WANT Wiggins to be awesome, but he just looks stiff as hell to me. I took one look at him live at the McDonald's All America game and said THIS is the guy they're making such a big deal of? Looks stiff as hell.
I never said that about Bron, Kobe, Melo, Durant, Tmac, or many lesser players, or Jabari Parker for that matter.

Look at this vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GinULGhuItQ
He looks so stiff and just not IT. Even on his good plays this season, it's just not fluid at all. At all.
1:23, 1:51, 2:39, 4:12, 5:32
This fluidity doesn't just come, you either have it or you don't. There are a few cases where it magically came (aka Paul George), but it's the rare exception, not the norm at all.
I hope it happens. I want Wiggins to be great. But I'm not willing to project something that I don't see happening in his skill set.
You can get by on transition dunks, and good defense because you're athletic for so long, but you need SKILLS to be great in the NBA.

This guy however:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exiGtzX7SSg

Parker has been making jaw dropping plays like this all season.

It's the EYE test people. Parker is absolutely ridiculously skilled, and Wiggins, who I WANT to be good, just doesn't have it. Whatever it is, he doesn't have it.
He may have some tools to project into a great player, but it is pure speculation. If the media never said anything to you about him, and you watched him this season, you'd just be like he's another good guy on Kansas.
And to me that is enough of statement.
But Parker, you'd be like, this is the second coming of a superstar we haven't seen for a few years.

How anyone can watch both of them play this season in total and not see how Parker outclasses Wiggins is beyond me.

The power of the media to create things, and have the public buy in is amazing.

I want Wiggins to be the real deal. I was as jacked as anyone with his maxtape, and excited for him to be the best thing since Lebron, or even just pretty spectacular, but I have seen nothing at Kansas to show it.

Parker on the other hand, is just CRAZY good. And more importantly crazy skilled. Something I don't see Wiggins ever being. I hope I'm wrong.

:lol

that vid didn't show anything. what were you trying to prove? if he wasn't on KU, he would be scoring just as much as Jabari if not more. if you had not watched KU's games with a huge bias against Wiggins and a huge boner for Parker you would realize this.

keep writing long winded paragraphs saying the same thing tho, maybe you'll convince somebody.

veilside23
11-29-2013, 11:10 PM
i just hope parker can take this team to atleast elite 8.....

BIZARRO
11-30-2013, 04:28 PM
:lol

that vid didn't show anything. what were you trying to prove? if he wasn't on KU, he would be scoring just as much as Jabari if not more. if you had not watched KU's games with a huge bias against Wiggins and a huge boner for Parker you would realize this.

keep writing long winded paragraphs saying the same thing tho, maybe you'll convince somebody.

I was trying to prove and show just how stiff Wiggins is. Which he is. If you can't see it, you can't see it, what can I tell you. :facepalm

Goliath Uterus
11-30-2013, 10:30 PM
I was trying to prove and show just how stiff Wiggins is. Which he is. If you can't see it, you can't see it, what can I tell you. :facepalm

that was his first game at AFH, the loudest arena in college hoops. I couldn't give a fvck less if he was nervous and had a few bad plays. he's had 2 bad games and they've both been with a 100+ degree fever. if he keeps playing like this I'll concede, but I'm still pretty sure Wiggins is gonna be amazing.

Jailblazers7
11-30-2013, 10:40 PM
Yay, looks like I ISH will be blessed with the college version of Kobe vs LeBron this season on the college board.

BIZARRO
12-01-2013, 07:39 AM
that was his first game at AFH, the loudest arena in college hoops. I couldn't give a fvck less if he was nervous and had a few bad plays. he's had 2 bad games and they've both been with a 100+ degree fever. if he keeps playing like this I'll concede, but I'm still pretty sure Wiggins is gonna be amazing.

It has nothing to do with a few bad plays. Parker had more than his share of bad plays the other night to be sure as well. Everyone does. It's about how stiff Wiggins looks.

He might turn out to be amazing. I hope he does. But I haven't seen anything yet that indicates amazing since he's been at Kansas.

I was as excited from his mix tape as anyone, but when I went to the McDonald's All-American game, and then watching him at Kansas he looks very stiff to me.
Aggressive and quick enough to score in transition yes, but that to me has nothing to do with great success at the next level.

Time will tell, but I haven't seen it regarding his supposed potential greatness. At all.

Goliath Uterus
12-01-2013, 11:35 AM
It has nothing to do with a few bad plays. Parker had more than his share of bad plays the other night to be sure as well. Everyone does. It's about how stiff Wiggins looks.

yea, you said that a few times, and I obviously diasagree. he floats and has long periods where he isn't aggressive, but I don't see the stiffness.

He might turn out to be amazing. I hope he does. But I haven't seen anything yet that indicates amazing since he's been at Kansas.

Lol you missed the Duke game

BIZARRO
12-01-2013, 03:52 PM
yea, you said that a few times, and I obviously diasagree. he floats and has long periods where he isn't aggressive, but I don't see the stiffness.

Lol you missed the Duke game

If that's your idea of amazing :facepalm , and you're going on 1 half of 1 game, then my point is already made. :pimp:

Maybe I'll go on double the time you gave, and we can discuss his 6 point performance last night.

TheTruth11
12-20-2013, 04:36 PM
Jabari put up 23, 10 and 5 last night against UCLA. 4 of 8 from deep. In front of 50+ scouts too at Madison Square Garden. No stage is too big for that dude. The more scouts, the bigger the stage... nothing but a thang.

Headed straight to the #1 pick :pimp:

wakencdukest
12-20-2013, 09:52 PM
Maybe it's just me but, it seems Wiggins has a hard time creating any offense off the dribble due to his shaky ball handling. So far from the 6 or 7 games I've seen him play, he's great in transition and when he's cutting off the ball. Not that that's a bad thing though. When I first started hearing all the hype I thought he was gonna be another ball pounding ISO type player like LeBron but he's not really that type of player. The thing that impresses me is he ain't trying to cross someone over, he'll use the quick first step and just take 1 or 2 dribbles and get to the rim. At this point Parker can score from anywhere on the court and create with the ball in his hands, post up, or move off the ball. Offensively he is pretty far ahead of Wiggins, IMO.

noob cake
12-20-2013, 11:08 PM
Maybe it's just me but, it seems Wiggins has a hard time creating any offense off the dribble due to his shaky ball handling. So far from the 6 or 7 games I've seen him play, he's great in transition and when he's cutting off the ball. Not that that's a bad thing though. When I first started hearing all the hype I thought he was gonna be another ball pounding ISO type player like LeBron but he's not really that type of player. The thing that impresses me is he ain't trying to cross someone over, he'll use the quick first step and just take 1 or 2 dribbles and get to the rim. At this point Parker can score from anywhere on the court and create with the ball in his hands, post up, or move off the ball. Offensively he is pretty far ahead of Wiggins, IMO.

Handles is Wiggins's biggest problem. Shooting can be fixed. After 10+ years of basketball, a player's handle is not going to improve by that much.

Goliath Uterus
01-14-2014, 11:08 PM
^^^

lol.... so does anyone still think Parker is better than Wiggins? or have y'all came to your senses yet?

wakencdukest
01-15-2014, 09:33 PM
^^^

lol.... so does anyone still think Parker is better than Wiggins? or have y'all came to your senses yet?

They've both been pretty underwhelming lately. Parker started out the season impressively, but has fallen off lately. He needs to stop forcing everything on offense. Wiggins seems to be getting more comfortable with the college game, but hasn't shown any kind of consistency, he shows flashes of that freak athleticism in the open court a couple of times per game, but then plays passively for long stretches. He's definitely raw offensively. I think the real question is, will either of them be able to beat out Embiid for the number 1 pick in the draft? I doubt it.

k0kakw0rld
02-10-2014, 04:26 PM
Career highs 29 points & 16 rebounds vs Boston College :applause:
12-17 FG .706 FG% only attempted 1 3p. :pimp:

Goliath Uterus
02-10-2014, 08:01 PM
Career highs 29 points & 16 rebounds vs Boston College :applause:
12-17 FG .706 FG% only attempted 1 3p. :pimp:

yea...

Wiggins >>>

k0kakw0rld
02-10-2014, 10:29 PM