PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a new show to watch

guy
11-14-2013, 12:34 AM
Just really got into the huge TV drama scene in the last few years. I've watched all of Breaking Bad, the Wire, Sopranos, and the Shield. I've seen all the episodes so far of Boardwalk Empire, Game of Thrones, and Homeland. So given those shows, any recommendations to check out? Thanks!

Loneshot
11-14-2013, 12:41 AM
I think 24 is underrated. I would love to watch that again and not know what happens. Not that i want anything bad to happen to me to make that happen, just sayin.

The Shield is really good.

outbreak
11-14-2013, 12:43 AM
Oz, Rome and deadwood are must watch shows.

If you want some comedy try peep show and bored to death. Peep show is probably the funniest show I've ever seen. Bored to death is insanely underrated.

Twin Beadles
11-14-2013, 12:44 AM
Suits, Arrow, Almost Human.

If you have netflix or cool with watching stuff online check out Friday Night Lights.

outbreak
11-14-2013, 12:46 AM
I thought all 3 of these were terrible....

EricGordon23
11-14-2013, 12:48 AM
Arrow
Chicago fire
Sons of anarchy
Shameless

KingBeasley08
11-14-2013, 12:51 AM
I think 24 is underrated. I would love to watch that again and not know what happens.
This. Maybe not in terms of pure quality when you compare it to something like Breaking Bad or The Sopranos or even The Shield, but 24 is probably the most entertaining show I've ever seen

Proctor
11-14-2013, 12:53 AM

If you have netflix or cool with watching stuff online check out Friday Night Lights.
:applause: Friday Night Lights is excellent.

Bless Mathews
11-14-2013, 12:54 AM
Homicide : Life on the street.

Luther mahoney fuccin with Gus on all time kingpin.

KeylessEntry
11-14-2013, 01:10 AM
If you like dramas you should check out Sherlock. Its available on netflix.

The first few seasons of Justified are really good too.

Patrick Chewing
11-14-2013, 01:17 AM
http://www.starz.com/originals/blacksails#/preview

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/de/Teaser_Poster_for_Black_Sails.jpg

gigantes
11-14-2013, 02:33 AM
If you like dramas you should check out Sherlock. Its available on netflix.

The first few seasons of Justified are really good too.
i just watched the unaired pilot of sherlock online.

pretty interesting how they did the final confrontation with the murderer so differently. actually i'm glad they refilmed it, since it turned the episodes in to 90 minutes deals instead of only 60.

can't wait for the new eps to come out in a month or two. the show has some minor problems, but overall is very good IMO.

Chuckbrook
11-14-2013, 03:09 AM
Dexter

Six Feet Under

-Brook

alenleomessi
11-14-2013, 07:06 AM
Just really got into the huge TV drama scene in the last few years. I've watched all of Breaking Bad, the Wire, Sopranos, and the Shield. I've seen all the episodes so far of Boardwalk Empire, Game of Thrones, and Homeland. So given those shows, any recommendations to check out? Thanks!
lost

Myth
11-14-2013, 07:39 AM
OP: Watch Luther.

Seasons 1 and 2 are on Netflix (6 episodes and 4 episodes, respectively). Season 3 just aired and they are planning a movie.

Myth
11-14-2013, 07:40 AM
Also, Sons of Anarchy is really good most of the time.

bagelred
11-14-2013, 08:27 AM
You have Netflix? House of Cards and Orange Is The New Black.

Also, The Walking Dead and LOST.

Thorpesaurous
11-14-2013, 08:47 AM
You have Netflix? House of Cards and Orange Is The New Black.

Also, The Walking Dead and LOST.

I watched Orange is the New Black a few months ago and absolutely loved it.
Then over the past few weeks I watched House of Cards, and thought that was excellent.

The other stuff I watched on Netflix, Top of the Lake, I thought was so so, and Lillyhammer I just couldn't get into at all.

bagelred
11-14-2013, 10:08 AM
The other stuff I watched on Netflix, Top of the Lake, I thought was so so, and Lillyhammer I just couldn't get into at all.

Didn't watch those 2. But yeah, both HOC and OITNB are very well done.

outbreak
11-14-2013, 04:44 PM
OP: Watch Luther.

Seasons 1 and 2 are on Netflix (6 episodes and 4 episodes, respectively). Season 3 just aired and they are planning a movie.

I'm up to series 3 myself, it's a pretty good show but you really have to suspend your disbelief at the leaps Luther takes in guessing peoples motives and what their doing. Nearly every episode he shuts other people down with a too specific theory and always turns out to be correct. Some ones stockpiled a bunch of chemicals usually used in making bombs but luther dismisses that without telling any terrorist organisations and somehow guesses that he will use the chemicals to dispose of dead bodies, oh and not just any bodies luther guesses that this type of criminal will target children specifically even though he hasn't done that at all up until this point. I'm enjoying the show but he gets far too specific in his hunches

house of cards was really good, orange is the new black surprised me I expected to hate it based on the cast and the writers but it was actually really good. Another good UK show was the hour, it got cancelled at a cliffhanger though but the 2 series it had were pretty good.

DonDadda59
11-14-2013, 05:02 PM
I'm up to series 3 myself, it's a pretty good show but you really have to suspend your disbelief at the leaps Luther takes in guessing peoples motives and what their doing. Nearly every episode he shuts other people down with a too specific theory and always turns out to be correct. Some ones stockpiled a bunch of chemicals usually used in making bombs but luther dismisses that without telling any terrorist organisations and somehow guesses that he will use the chemicals to dispose of dead bodies, oh and not just any bodies luther guesses that this type of criminal will target children specifically even though he hasn't done that at all up until this point. I'm enjoying the show but he gets far too specific in his hunches

Believe or not, criminal pathology is more or less a science. The FBI even has a Behavioral Science division:

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/training/bsu

Luther is obviously very well versed on behavioral science/criminal pathology. He doesn't deal with people who just do things on whims or randomly. It's not so much 'hunches' but a very detailed understanding of the criminal mind (ie, him being able to peg Alice down as a malignant narcissist).

outbreak
11-14-2013, 07:18 PM
Believe or not, criminal pathology is more or less a science. The FBI even has a Behavioral Science division:

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/training/bsu

Luther is obviously very well versed on behavioral science/criminal pathology. He doesn't deal with people who just do things on whims or randomly. It's not so much 'hunches' but a very detailed understanding of the criminal mind (ie, him being able to peg Alice down as a malignant narcissist).

I know and get all that, the Alice stuff was really good. Just some times he gets far too specific with far too little information to make it seem like he's realistically profiling them. Still a good show and I'd still recommend it but at times it feels like their pushing a bit too hard to make him seem like he can crack anyone's psyche.

Like if a girl is murdered and her necklace is taken, yeah it's probably as a trophy but it's abit of a too specific leap to assume he took the trophy to give to his wife so he can see her wearing it so let's find a guy with a wife and rule out everything else.

fsvr54
11-14-2013, 11:18 PM
Sherlock is the best show on tv (non comedy) period.

outbreak
11-14-2013, 11:53 PM
Sherlock is the best show on tv (non comedy) period.
:biggums:

It's A VC3!!!
11-15-2013, 12:07 AM
I was just about to make a thread on "The Blacklist" and I still might. It's one of my favorite shows and although it's not suspenseful like Breaking Bad, it always leaves you wondering and question what is going on, who is loyal and when will the truth be exposed. Plus, one of the episodes was shot in my town and that's pretty cool. Watch the blacklist. So far it's on episode 8 season 1.

jamal99
11-15-2013, 12:22 AM
Sherlock, Arrow, The Walking Dead...