PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Love is currently averaging 27 14 and 5 on 48%, can he keep it up?

CavaliersFTW
11-15-2013, 03:48 AM
http://www.rantsports.com/nba/files/2013/11/kevinlove.jpg

Those are phenomenal numbers, however he is only 9 games into this season - so do you guys think he can keep up that kind of production all season long? If he can we haven't had a scoring and rebounding machine that can pass packaged all-in-one like that in quite some time. Garnett back in '04 put up 24 14 and 5 on 50%. That's the last time anyone put up something similar.

Micku
11-15-2013, 04:11 AM
He did something similar a couple of seasons ago. He's better now, so I don't see why not. Dude's a beast.

KnicksWolves
11-15-2013, 04:19 AM
I think he can.

He's a crafty scorer whose talents are utilized very well under Adelman's system and with the aid of good passing from Rubio and and others. He can shoot the 3, has a good post game, and is obviously a good offensive rebounder. He's quite adept at drawing fouls and is a great free throw shooter.

As for the rebounding, what else need be said. He's one of the league's best at that, so no reason he can't keep his current pace.

The passing is the big question mark. But I think he can keep that number up. The personnel is now less frustrating than it was in years' past, especially with the additions of Kevin Martin and Corey Brewer, both guys who have been on the receiving end of quite a few of Kevin Love's outlet passes. This team is programmed to run, and a big man who can rebound, and throw quick, accurate outlet passes will always have better assist numbers because of that. Outside of the outlet passing, he's also a good passer in the halfcourt setting.

So yeah, the assist number might dip a little, but for the reasons provided above, he should be able to keep up these numbers throughout the season.

LakersDaBEst
11-15-2013, 04:35 AM
had similar stats over the past 3 seasons. The points is gonna drop to 22 - 24 tho

Dresta
11-15-2013, 04:39 AM
Expect points and efficiency to drop a bit as the season goes on. Assists maybe to drop to 4 also.

Collie
11-15-2013, 05:11 AM
He will keep it up. Could probably be MVP if the Wolves win like 50+ games.

plowking
11-15-2013, 05:41 AM
Hes more dominant on offense than Garnett has ever been. Hes no where near the defender though.

Harison
11-15-2013, 06:22 AM
Short version?
No.

Long version?
No. :lol

Its just a short streak, his points and efficiency will drop as season progresses. Plus health is always a question mark for Love, I hope he can have his first full season this year.

senelcoolidge
11-15-2013, 06:26 AM
Expect points and efficiency to drop a bit as the season goes on. Assists maybe to drop to 4 also.
Pretty much this. He's not going to keep it up at what he has now. It will drop a little.

mugiwara
11-15-2013, 08:46 AM
He will keep it up. Could probably be MVP if the Wolves win like 50+ games.

With the way he plays D coming from the PF spot I just cant see that happening.

The Wolves are a treat to watch, i love watching Adlemans system run smoothly.

Rondooooooooooo
11-15-2013, 09:25 AM
Do you guys think that Love will stay if the Wolves have another losing season?

SoCalLakersFan1
11-15-2013, 09:38 AM

How does he play D?

Fresh Kid
11-15-2013, 09:44 AM
it dependz on how long he would stay healthy :lol

steve
11-15-2013, 10:06 AM

I don't see why though? None of the numbers he's putting up are too dissimilar than what he was putting up the last time he was healthy. The differences are subtle but have pretty dramatic effect.

For one, his defensive rebounding is back up to the insane levels it used to be (it took a dip a few seasons back).

Two, this Wolves team is fairly better than the one two seasons ago. From Brewer's tendency to leak early to just being surrounded by much better spot-up and catch & shoot shooters. This is kind of why I wish player tracking was around in previous seasons because I'd like to see how many assist opportunities Love had per game. Playing with guys like Beasley, Wesley Johnson, and Derrick Williams (who is getting very little playing time this season, at least with Love) is a lot different than Kevin Martin and Brewer. Not to mention this team has a much better grasp of Adelman's offense. His assists might drop slightly but I'd be surprised if they drop that much.

Which brings up the only difference between the '12 and '14 (thus far) which is his two point shooting percentage (his three point shooting is actually a notch lower than his last two healthy seasons but his free throw rate is about the same). It's unlikely that this goes down though because of the after mentioned spacing and just a basic understanding of the offense. Love isn't having to force shots in the same to get points and is getting the ball in much advantageous positions. This isn't likely to change over the course of the season. His numbers might slip but it's doubtful it'll be by a noticeable margin.

CelticBaller
11-15-2013, 10:55 AM
No, I can see his ppg drop

La Frescobaldi
11-15-2013, 01:20 PM
I think the last guy to do this for a season was Kareem Abdul-Jabbar in 1976 when he ran a line of 27.7 pts, 16.9 rebounds, and 5 assists (& was the MVP).

Shaq never got 14 rebounds on a season (although 13.9 his rookie year is close enough), and neither he nor Moses even approached those kinds of assist numbers.

Sir Charles had a season of 27 10 & 4 in 1991. Bob McAdoo in '77 had a season of 26.5, 12.8 rebounds and 3.8 assists. We are talking about all-time titans of the game. I might be missing somebody but I can't think who it would be.

Of course 9 games is not 82 games.

Levity
11-15-2013, 01:26 PM
i feel the most impressive part of his stats are his assist numbers. if he can average 5 for the season, then god damn.

red1
11-15-2013, 01:29 PM
he is a stat-stuffer no doubt but these numbers will probably come down a little bit

Lebron23
11-15-2013, 01:46 PM
I hope Love lead his team into the playoffs. So far he's top 2 in MVP Ranking.

Dresta
11-15-2013, 03:41 PM
I don't see why though? None of the numbers he's putting up are too dissimilar than what he was putting up the last time he was healthy. The differences are subtle but have pretty dramatic effect.

For one, his defensive rebounding is back up to the insane levels it used to be (it took a dip a few seasons back).

Two, this Wolves team is fairly better than the one two seasons ago. From Brewer's tendency to leak early to just being surrounded by much better spot-up and catch & shoot shooters. This is kind of why I wish player tracking was around in previous seasons because I'd like to see how many assist opportunities Love had per game. Playing with guys like Beasley, Wesley Johnson, and Derrick Williams (who is getting very little playing time this season, at least with Love) is a lot different than Kevin Martin and Brewer. Not to mention this team has a much better grasp of Adelman's offense. His assists might drop slightly but I'd be surprised if they drop that much.

Which brings up the only difference between the '12 and '14 (thus far) which is his two point shooting percentage (his three point shooting is actually a notch lower than his last two healthy seasons but his free throw rate is about the same). It's unlikely that this goes down though because of the after mentioned spacing and just a basic understanding of the offense. Love isn't having to force shots in the same to get points and is getting the ball in much advantageous positions. This isn't likely to change over the course of the season. His numbers might slip but it's doubtful it'll be by a noticeable margin.
Because he isn't a versatile enough scorer to average 27. If he keeps it up he we get more and more focus put on him by opposing teams, and his numbers will fall. He won't keep getting the shots he's been getting. And, he will probably get injured at some point.

KnicksWolves
11-15-2013, 04:40 PM
Because he isn't a versatile enough scorer to average 27. If he keeps it up he we get more and more focus put on him by opposing teams, and his numbers will fall. He won't keep getting the shots he's been getting. And, he will probably get injured at some point.

What makes you say that? He can shoot the 3, can post-up, grabs offensive boards, and can draw fouls using head fakes and putting the ball on the floor. And that's just what he does with the ball. He moves very well off-the-ball under Adelman's system, and Rubio uses this to his advantage to find Love on cuts and for open 3's.

Inactive
11-15-2013, 05:04 PM
Because he isn't a versatile enough scorer to average 27. If he keeps it up he we get more and more focus put on him by opposing teams, and his numbers will fall. He won't keep getting the shots he's been getting. And, he will probably get injured at some point.He was versatile enough to average 26 his last healthy season, but 27 is too much?

2LeTTeRS
11-15-2013, 05:28 PM
You mean the 6'9 unathletic pudgy white guy? No way he could play in the league today....

CavaliersFTW
11-15-2013, 05:32 PM
You mean the 6'9 unathletic pudgy white guy? No way he could play in the league today....
Guy measured 6-7 (and 3/4) in the draft... Imagine a 6-7 white guy playing a POWER FORWARD in today's league where 7 foot tall with hyper athleticism is the norm at that position. Please. :roll: Guy wouldn't even get his shot off in today's league.

JimmyMcAdocious
11-15-2013, 05:33 PM
I don't see why he can't keep up with the points and rebounds. He's averaged more rebounds than that before and his points are about the same as usual, except now he's just more efficient.

Not sure about the assists. Tho, if teams don't stop his outlets then why not? That's like 1-3 assists right there and Love is a good passer in the halfcourt.

Dresta
11-15-2013, 06:26 PM
He was versatile enough to average 26 his last healthy season, but 27 is too much?
How many games did the Wolves win that year?

A large portion of those points were scored on open 3 point shots and scrappy put-backs/offensive rebounds and fouls. He rarely created his own shot.

It is different when teams actually try against you, rather than thinking 'it's only the Wolves: easy night'

Teams will start gearing their gameplans around keeping K-Love out of the game. He will not have so many easy looks as he did that season.

KevinNYC
11-15-2013, 06:28 PM
A large portion of those points were scored on open 3 point shots and scrappy put-backs/offensive rebounds and fouls. He rarely created his own shot.

Which means none of those points should count and Kevin Love should just retire.

How many times are we going to have this conversation. Kevin Love does something nobody since Moses Malone has done, BUT

Kevin Love is doing something in his first nine games that no one since Kareem Abdul Jabbar has done for a full season, BUT

Dresta
11-15-2013, 06:35 PM
Which means none of those points should count and Kevin Love should just retire.

How many times are we going to have this conversation. Kevin Love does something nobody since Moses Malone has done, BUT

Kevin Love is doing something in his first nine games that no one since Kareem Abdul Jabbar has done for a full season, BUT
You are just putting words into my mouth you cretinous asshole.

I never said anything of the sort, but it is undeniable that K-Love's numbers benefited from the amount of garbage time minutes he had playing for such a shoddy team. A top player does not put up those kind of numbers and still have a team winning % of below .4

KevinNYC
11-15-2013, 06:35 PM
How many games did the Wolves win that year?

I just happened to come across this post for the year before his 26 point season

Kevin Love was good but his team was terrible.

http://arturogalletti.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/timberwolves_2011.png

Where the red lines intersect is average. Top Right is very good. Love is pinned in the top right corner, virtually all of his team is on the bottom left.

FireDavidKahn
11-15-2013, 07:02 PM
I just happened to come across this post for the year before his 26 point season

Where the red lines intersect is average. Top Right is very good. Love is pinned in the top right corner, virtually all of his team is on the bottom left.
BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT

andremiller07
11-15-2013, 07:05 PM
While the numbers are unreal to me the most impressive thing about K Love is how relentless and confident he is, on offence in particular. The guy just never stops hustling and when you combine that with high IQ/skills it just a unreal mix.

Dresta
11-15-2013, 07:23 PM

How does the year before his 26 point season have anything to do with his 26 point season exactly? He had Rubio, Barea, Webster and a far improved Pekovic the following season. He additionally had Rick Adelman as coach. A top player would have dragged that team above where it was imo.

And this is irrelevant anyway: i was merely explaining why he isn't a versatile enough scorer right now to keep up the numbers he currently has. He isn't dominant inside, and he doesn't have much of a game off the dribble.

Then you just had to jump on my post and moronically proclaim me to be saying something i wasn't. Take your straw-man bullshit elsewhere.

La Frescobaldi
11-15-2013, 07:51 PM
How does the year before his 26 point season have anything to do with his 26 point season exactly? He had Rubio, Barea, Webster and a far improved Pekovic the following season. He additionally had Rick Adelman as coach. A top player would have dragged that team above where it was imo.

And this is irrelevant anyway: i was merely explaining why he isn't a versatile enough scorer right now to keep up the numbers he currently has. He isn't dominant inside, and he doesn't have much of a game off the dribble.

Then you just had to jump on my post and moronically proclaim me to be saying something i wasn't. Take your straw-man bullshit elsewhere.

An interesting thread, although I'm like you... I got confused about the timelines that other guy was talking about. Didn't seem to make sense, talking about 1 season then switching to another.

What does 'dominant inside' mean to you?

KevinNYC
11-15-2013, 08:08 PM
How does the year before his 26 point season have anything to do with his 26 point season exactly?

Just happened to be the year the graph was made for.

If you think Rubio, Pekovic for 27 minutes a game, Barea and Webster are enough to transform a 17 win team to a 500 team....well. You had Kevin Love and then nobody who could get you 15 points a game in 2012.

GOBB
11-15-2013, 08:26 PM
Wade
Rose
Love

My fav 3 players. I lub me some lub. Also wish people would get off him not being a great defender. How many of the good PFs are? Hello? Anyone? Didnt think so.

CelticBaller
11-15-2013, 10:34 PM
Remember when people thought Love snubbed Aldridge out of the All star game a couple of years back and were angry about it? :oldlol:

Dresta
11-15-2013, 11:19 PM
Just happened to be the year the graph was made for.

If you think Rubio, Pekovic for 27 minutes a game, Barea and Webster are enough to transform a 17 win team to a 500 team....well. You had Kevin Love and then nobody who could get you 15 points a game in 2012.
Hence why he was able to score 26 a game, and why i don't think he'll average 27 this year. What don't you understand about that?

I was asked why i thought his points numbers would go down over the season when he averaged 26 last time he was healthy. Answer: he is not a versatile enough offensive player to average 27 on a playoff team. None of what you're accusing me of really has anything to do with what i said. You were just getting all defensive over nothing.

I still think he'll average around 25, i just said i thought his output would decline a bit from what it is now, only to get jumped on by loads of sensitive people.

An interesting thread, although I'm like you... I got confused about the timelines that other guy was talking about. Didn't seem to make sense, talking about 1 season then switching to another.

What does 'dominant inside' mean to you?
Someone who can score at will in the post.

BarberSchool
11-15-2013, 11:28 PM
Someone who can score at will in the post.There is no one besides maybe Dirk, Timmy in a game 6 or 7, Lebron when he's focused, in today's league who can score at will in a post up situation.

Carmelo, Hibbert, Lopez, Love, Aldridge, and a handful of others are very good scoring in the post, but with the way defense is now, it is not like it was in the 80's or 90's.....posting up now, the help defense can come from a shorter distance away and double team faster than in decades past.

It's not a post up league anymore so your point is moot.

BarberSchool
11-15-2013, 11:34 PM
The real question is, does the fact that Kevin Love scores more of his points off of cuts, free throws, and open 3's make him less of an asset or more of an asset ?

It certainly makes him less of a noticeable superstar, as you'll never see a highlight of him in isolation, crossing someone over then dunking on them.

But let's really think about this, and please I'd like everyone to respond:

1. When has a guy had a season under his belt of 26ppg on good efficiency, and is looking like he will have another season at that rate, all of it done WITHOUT NEEDING THE BALL IN HIS HANDS MUCH ? AND WITHOUT NEEDING MANY PLAYS RUN FOR HIM?

2. Does a team benefit MORE from having multiple 20+PPG talents who both need the ball in their hands to succeed? Or does it benefit more when ONE 20+PPG talent needs the ball in their hands to succeed, and another does not need the ball in their hands to succeed?

CavaliersFTW
11-15-2013, 11:41 PM
The real question is, does the fact that Kevin Love scores more of his points off of cuts, free throws, and open 3's make him less of an asset or more of an asset ?

It certainly makes him less of a noticeable superstar, as you'll never see a highlight of him in isolation, crossing someone over then dunking on them.

1. When has a guy had a season under his belt of 26ppg on good efficiency, and is looking like he will have another season at that rate, all of it done WITHOUT NEEDING THE BALL IN HIS HANDS MUCH ? AND WITHOUT NEEDING MANY PLAYS RUN FOR HIM?

2. Does a team benefit MORE from having multiple 20+PPG talents who both need the ball in their hands to succeed? Or does it benefit more when ONE 20+PPG talent needs the ball in their hands to succeed, and another does not need the ball in their hands to succeed?
Bob Pettit is one answer - there are quite a few more examples though, but Pettit is fresh on my mind cause I've been working on a mix. He plays almost identical to Love, or should I say Love almost identical to him. Scores by offensive rebounds, moving without the ball, drawing fouls inside - and a small hand full of actual legitimate field goal attempts from the perimeter.

That style of play earned Bob Pettit 2 league MVP's in the late 50's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a9ZQHKvYtE

Leftimage
11-15-2013, 11:42 PM

1. that's not a question.

2. I think it's a bit arbitrary to say good players NEED to have the ball in their hands. I know using Lebron as an example is a bit silly seeing how god-like he is, but on the Cavs (shitty team and coaching) he was better off dominating the ball. On the Heat that is not necessarily the case.

Now let's say Rubio goes down and the Wolves suddenly have no good distributors. Obviously, the fact Love doesn't have much of an iso game would become a liability to him and the team at that point. In fact I reckon his stats would falter pretty hard with no one feeding him.

MavsSuperFan
11-16-2013, 12:21 AM

IMO it hurts that he isnt a great scorer in set offensive pieces

1. the problem is can this guy be your go to guy in an elimination game in the playoffs? Think of all of the best players in NBA history. They all had reliable offensive moves and you could run the offense through them at key times. They could just take over the game.

2. So basically you are saying Love should be a second option and not the franchise.

KevinNYC
11-16-2013, 01:00 AM
Hence why he was able to score 26 a game, and why i don't think he'll average 27 this year. What don't you understand about that?

I was asked why i thought his points numbers would go down over the season when he averaged 26 last time he was healthy. Answer: he is not a versatile enough offensive player to average 27 on a playoff team. None of what you're accusing me of really has anything to do with what i said. You were just getting all defensive over nothing.

I still think he'll average around 25, i just said i thought his output would decline a bit from what it is now, only to get jumped on by loads of sensitive people.

Someone who can score at will in the post.

So you arguing about 2 ppg? And calling people assholes on the other side of that argument? :hammerhead:

Your argument basically boils down to, I don't like the way he scores. You're trying to discount his output because he's not conforming to your conception of a how a 27 ppg scorer should be.

Also teams will start to focus on Kevin Love later in the season? Any team that doesn't focus on Love when they play Minnesota should get a new coach as quick as possible. Dude ain't a rookie.

This is a discussion about stats. When the ball goes through the net the points count and your stats go up. It doesn't matter how the ball goes through the net. There's no stat called versatility.

Dresta
11-16-2013, 01:59 AM
So you arguing about 2 ppg? And calling people assholes on the other side of that argument? :hammerhead:

Your argument basically boils down to, I don't like the way he scores. You're trying to discount his output because he's not conforming to your conception of a how a 27 ppg scorer should be.

Also teams will start to focus on Kevin Love later in the season? Any team that doesn't focus on Love when they play Minnesota should get a new coach as quick as possible. Dude ain't a rookie.

This is a discussion about stats. When the ball goes through the net the points count and your stats go up. It doesn't matter how the ball goes through the net. There's no stat called versatility.
I was just giving my justification as to why i said i thought his points would drop 'a bit'

I didn't call anyone an asshole except you, not because you disagreed with me, but because i simply said why i thought his ppg would fall 'a bit' and got this pile of obnoxious bullshit from you:

'Which means none of those points should count and Kevin Love should just retire.

Kevin Love is doing something in his first nine games that no one since Kareem Abdul Jabbar has done for a full season, BUT'

What i said had nothing to do with that. You were just being an asshole.

KevinNYC
11-16-2013, 03:33 AM
I was just giving my justification as to why i said i thought his points would drop 'a bit'

I didn't call anyone an asshole except you, not because you disagreed with me, but because i simply said why i thought his ppg would fall 'a bit' and got this pile of obnoxious bullshit from you:

'Which means none of those points should count and Kevin Love should just retire.

Kevin Love is doing something in his first nine games that no one since Kareem Abdul Jabbar has done for a full season, BUT'

What i said had nothing to do with that. You were just being an asshole.

I wasn't taking issue with you saying his points would drop a bit. Any great 9 game streak is still just a 9 game streak. I was taking issue with this argument

Which just doesn't make sense.
He's already proven he can average 26, what would be unusual about a star player getting better in their 6th year in the league. Versatility got absolutely nothing to do with it.
Teams aren't paying attention to him? Dude is easily the best player on his team and legitimately a top 10 player in the NBA, how do you overlook him? They've been sleeping on him?

This isn't some two-week Linsanity aberration where he is playing out of his head, this is a guy who has put up gaudy numbers before AND has shown the ability to elevate his game, by leaps and bounds. Perhaps he has done it again. The only stat that is truly out of whack with the number he has already proven he can put up is his assist average, not his points.

As for the BUT, BUT, I didn't say you gave those specific examples, but you making the same type of argument that always gets made with Kevin Love and FireDavidKahn knows exactly what I'm talking about. It basically boils down to he can't do what he does, and yet he does it.

KevinNYC
11-16-2013, 03:41 AM
If you look at his current numbers and compare then to his career bests, by percentage, you see that it's his assists, not his points that are the aberration.

Points. 104% of career best
Rebounds 93% of career best
Assists 204% of career best

comerb
11-16-2013, 06:36 AM

He plays OK defense, it's not really anything to complain about. Nothing to brag about either.

DMAVS41
11-16-2013, 06:47 AM
As great as those numbers are, Love has to lead a team to the playoffs and then produce in the playoffs to take him seriously as a legit superstar.

It might be a bit unfair, but there are too many guys in the history of the game that would be winning 55 or so games with that roster. Prime Dirk, for example, would have that team at 50 plus wins easily.

So until Love starts doing that, his true impact is a little suspect.

SacJB Shady
11-16-2013, 06:50 AM
As great as those numbers are, Love has to lead a team to the playoffs and then produce in the playoffs to take him seriously as a legit superstar.

It might be a bit unfair, but there are too many guys in the history of the game that would be winning 55 or so games with that roster. Prime Dirk, for example, would have that team at 50 plus wins easily.

Well they're 6 and 4 so far but it's still early. Do you think the T Wolves will make the playoffs?

DMAVS41
11-16-2013, 06:58 AM
Well they're 6 and 4 so far but it's still early. Do you think the T Wolves will make the playoffs?

Yes. And they should...

La Frescobaldi
11-16-2013, 10:53 AM

He has never had a team until this season. Every team Love has been on has either been truly awful, or completely injured. He played 3 games with Rubio last year. They started D League 10 day contracts last year...... lots of them... because they didn't even have enough players to play a game.
Their FO has been kind of a joke. Did you know Kevin Love is the only Timberwolf still on the team from his rookie season? 2009. Brewer left and came back..... that's it.

Now THIS year's squad should go to the playoffs, imo, but blaming Love for what the Wolves have done in these past few seasons is based on something other than watching the Wolves. I have read enough of your posts to know you usually have solid points, so I suspect that is the case.

La Frescobaldi
11-16-2013, 10:58 AM
If you look at his current numbers and compare then to his career bests, by percentage, you see that it's his assists, not his points that are the aberration.

Points. 104% of career best
Rebounds 93% of career best
Assists 204% of career best

yeah. people are saying his points are going to go down as the season progresses. I doubt it. Unstoppable is unstoppable, whether it's Bernard King or Anthony or Love. They are going to score and all other teams know, they will just have to live with that fact.
But his assists may well take a hit. A) Kevin Martin has been amazing from 3 & Corey Brewer too....... but like Sir Charles always says, 'live by the 3, die by the 3.'.... and B) teams will figure out they have to sprint back on defense instantly after they shoot or they will pay for their slowness because Love plays basketball like it is 1972.

LAZERUSS
11-16-2013, 11:50 AM
In year's past Love was stats-padding. This year Love is not stats-padding.

Pointguard
11-16-2013, 12:21 PM
In year's past Love was stats-padding. This year Love is not stats-padding.

Yeah, he's for real. All around game too. Even on defense if you throw a lazy pass he's gets his hands on it. Plays smart all the time... active. Always figures out a way to be effective. I'm a fan.

LAZERUSS
11-16-2013, 12:29 PM
Yeah, he's for real. All around game too. Even on defense if you throw a lazy pass he's gets his hands on it. Plays smart all the time... active. Always figures out a way to be effective. I'm a fan.

Well, I was being facetious. I don't see Love playing much differently now than he has in year's past. The man has always been a hard-worker. Just look at his physique. How does a 6-8 guy with that body, and with nowhere near the athleticism of say a Dwight, win rebounding titles? A player can "stats-pad" their way to points by simply taking enough shots, but rebounding takes hard work and determination.

It's amazing how much better Love's numbers look now that he has a quality supporting cast.

It reminds me of KG. The guy played his heart out for years surrounded by poor rosters. Then when he was finally given some good teammates, he leads a team to a 66-16 record and a title.

dunksby
11-16-2013, 12:46 PM
Love definitely never had a decent team around him, with Rubio stepping up his game, a revived Kevin Martin along with Pek who has been solid. They have earned the respect of the league, fans should give credit where it's due as well.

VIntageNOvel
11-16-2013, 12:52 PM
Well, I was being facetious. I don't see Love playing much differently now than he has in year's past. The man has always been a hard-worker. Just look at his physique. How does a 6-8 guy with that body, and with nowhere near the athleticism of say a Dwight, win rebounding titles? A player can "stats-pad" their way to points by simply taking enough shots, but rebounding takes hard work and determination.

It's amazing how much better Love's numbers look now that he has a quality supporting cast.

It reminds me of KG. The guy played his heart out for years surrounded by poor rosters. Then when he was finally given some good teammates, he leads a team to a 66-16 record and a title.

exactly :applause:

all this bullcrap bout empty stat :facepalm :facepalm
dude was playin with a broken hand, and coming back from injury as good as ever, you cant do that without hard work and determination

and i like the comparison with KG minny :applause:

La Frescobaldi
11-16-2013, 01:28 PM
Love definitely never had a decent team around him, with Rubio stepping up his game, a revived Kevin Martin along with Pek who has been solid. They have earned the respect of the league, fans should give credit where it's due as well.

Pekovic is one of the most skilled centers in the NBA. He has learned how to ignore his only weakness, which is not much vertical... in fact he frequently has, surprisingly, turned it into a strength.
How?
Most centers have pretty good/great/insane vertical, but just as frequently they are dumber than rocks. This is nothing new: Barkley & Bird knew it in '85, McAdoo & Issel knew it in '75, Chamberlain & Russell & Baylor knew it in '65.
If you go to the hoop hard but simply stay on the ground with a hesitation or stutter step or ball fake.... inevitably these amazingly athletic idiots will hit their heads on the overhead scoreboard trying to block a shot.

You would think players would have learned this by now. It's a simple idea. But I saw Mel Counts & LeRoy Ellis do that stuff their entire careers.... and I watched Greg Monroe & Kenneth Faried, supposedly pretty good centers, do it last night. We're talking about 40+ years of stupidity.
It's epic.

KevinNYC
11-16-2013, 01:31 PM
But his assists may well take a hit. A) Kevin Martin has been amazing from 3 & Corey Brewer too....... but like Sir Charles always says, 'live by the 3, die by the 3.'.... and B) teams will figure out they have to sprint back on defense instantly after they shoot or they will pay for their slowness because Love plays basketball like it is 1972.

Well, one thing about his assists is that his coach has been running plays where he is the passer. He wants him to be Vlade Divac type big man that can stretch the court with this shot, but also make plays from the high post.

DMAVS41
11-16-2013, 02:18 PM
He has never had a team until this season. Every team Love has been on has either been truly awful, or completely injured. He played 3 games with Rubio last year. They started D League 10 day contracts last year...... lots of them... because they didn't even have enough players to play a game.
Their FO has been kind of a joke. Did you know Kevin Love is the only Timberwolf still on the team from his rookie season? 2009. Brewer left and came back..... that's it.

Now THIS year's squad should go to the playoffs, imo, but blaming Love for what the Wolves have done in these past few seasons is based on something other than watching the Wolves. I have read enough of your posts to know you usually have solid points, so I suspect that is the case.

Like I said. He has to start leading teams to 50 plus wins and performing well in the playoffs. I don't care all that much what has happened to this point.

But this team with prime Dirk is winning around 55 games probably. So I just want to see Love do that and then play well in the playoffs.

It's just hard to properly rate a guy that hasn't played a playoff game in his career. Regular season is almost meaningless to me.

La Frescobaldi
11-16-2013, 04:01 PM
Like I said. He has to start leading teams to 50 plus wins and performing well in the playoffs. I don't care all that much what has happened to this point.

But this team with prime Dirk is winning around 55 games probably. So I just want to see Love do that and then play well in the playoffs.

It's just hard to properly rate a guy that hasn't played a playoff game in his career. Regular season is almost meaningless to me.

Oh we will disagree forever about the regular season then. NBA Hoops is one of the most fun things there is on a fall or winter evening.
But the rest? Yes indeed, we shall see.