PDA

View Full Version : did howard's injury effect his game that much?

inclinerator
11-15-2013, 06:30 AM
even though he wasnt some offensive beast in orlando, i was still confident he had a high chance to score 1 on 1. Now everytime i expect him to fumble the ball or brick a shot, i never recall him fumbling the ball like this in orlando lol. to be honest i was surprised he still averages such a high fg percentage

Bandito
11-15-2013, 06:33 AM
even though he wasnt some offensive beast in orlando, i was still confident he had a high chance to score 1 on 1. Now everytime i expect him to fumble the ball or brick a shot, i never recall him fumbling the ball like this in orlando lol. to be honest i was surprised he still averages such a high fg percentage
He's playing the same way he did in ORL. Except then he was more athletic.

Nick Young
11-15-2013, 06:42 AM
His body isn't really the problem. His work rate went down since 2009 and he has begun acting like a diva demanding low post post up touches that he can't convert.

Most of his problems are mental, not physical.

Jameerthefear
11-15-2013, 06:51 AM
i guess. he was never this bad in orlando. don't listen to nick young btw.

TheReturn
11-15-2013, 06:56 AM
There's actually some truth to what he's saying. Dwight got a lot rolling to the basket in Orlando, it seems that since the Lakers he's been playing in the post much more.

SacJB Shady
11-15-2013, 06:59 AM
I'm noticing that a lot of athletic players coming into the league seem to decline rather more quick. For instance, Dwight, Rose, and Griffin's stats have all gone down a bit since a few years ago. I guess that's why athleticism is not everything because you only have it for so long.

Bodhi
11-15-2013, 07:12 AM
He had surgery done on his spine. That's about as serious an injury as you're going to get

SacJB Shady
11-15-2013, 07:35 AM
He had surgery done on his spine. That's about as serious an injury as you're going to get

true

rustycage
11-15-2013, 09:59 AM
He should drop some weight as soon as possible and try to focus on his mobility and quickness. Unfortunately, he has no intention to do that and I guess he thinks he can still play with muscles.

Mr Exlax
11-15-2013, 10:23 AM

I gave him a pass last season because of the surgery. I expected him to be back to Orlando Dwight by now though. He's had time to heal and everything. He doesn't grimmace when he's jumping or landing or anything. I think this is the best he's gonna get. He's nowhere near as explosive or even physically imposing anymore right?

Nick Young
11-15-2013, 10:53 AM
I gave him a pass last season because of the surgery. I expected him to be back to Orlando Dwight by now though. He's had time to heal and everything. He doesn't grimmace when he's jumping or landing or anything. I think this is the best he's gonna get. He's nowhere near as explosive or even physically imposing anymore right?
Athleticism is not his problem. The league has figured out how to guard him and sadly, more often then not he stops himself on offense by not playing to his strengths, which is setting picks and alley oops.

His defensive work rate has definately gone down, he is no longer DPOTY material.

Dwight Howard's best strength on defense in his prime was his hustle player work rate combined with superstar athleticism, because his basketball IQ is not high. He was dominant. Now that his work rate has gone way down, he is no longer as dominant. All he goes for is ESPN highlight swats. His fundamental D, positional sense and 1v1 post D vs good scorers is not elite, just look at how he struggled against Bargnani last night as an example.

Sorry Im just calling it like I see it. Maybe McHale and Hakeem will sort him out and he'll improve, but if they can't help him, no one can. Wish Rockets had Anthony Davis instead so he could get that kind of training from those guys. I just feel like Dwight is wasting the opportunities given to him, Kareem Abdul Jabbar could have helped Dwight in LA and he didnt want it, Shaq would have been a great tutor but Dwights ego and showboating burned that bridge.

Mr Exlax
11-15-2013, 10:59 AM
Athleticism is not his problem. The league has figured out how to guard him and sadly, more often then not he stops himself on offense by not playing to his strengths, which is setting picks and alley oops.

His defensive work rate has definately gone down, he is no longer DPOTY material.

Dwight Howard's best strength on defense in his prime was his hustle player work rate combined with superstar athleticism, because his basketball IQ is not high. He was dominant. Now that his work rate has gone way down, he is no longer as dominant. All he goes for is ESPN highlight swats. His fundamental D, positional sense and 1v1 post D vs good scorers is not elite, just look at how he struggled against Bargnani last night as an example.

Sorry Im just calling it like I see it. Maybe McHale and Hakeem will sort him out and he'll improve, but if they can't help him, no one can. Wish Rockets had Anthony Davis instead so he could get that kind of training from those guys. I just feel like Dwight is wasting the opportunities given to him, Kareem Abdul Jabbar could have helped Dwight in LA and he didnt want it, Shaq would have been a great tutor but Dwights ego and showboating burned that bridge.

I will agree with you on the effort part. I was saying that last night during the game. Just the defensive intensity isn't there this season. Maybe 1 or 2 games. We will have to agree to disagree though about his offense. After the Finals loss, he developed a few moves. He didn't have to turn and dunk every single time. Again, this is what i watched for 2 seaons. After he worked with Hakeem that 1 summer. That's why I expected him to look good this season.

GatorKid117
11-15-2013, 11:49 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMBIntMN6l8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tprY_Vmn37I

Its a shame this looks to be his peak. He truly was great in that 2011 PO against the Hawks. Effective 1v1 post moves, great D and playing smart. Shame he got absolutely no help that series. He was an animal.

Watching him now, its clear hes no where near his pre-injury form. He was a guy you could give the ball to in the post and expect good things, even though it looked ugly, to happen. Can't say that now. He has totally regressed and its a shame to see, even as a Magic fan.

SpecialQue
11-15-2013, 11:55 AM
At this point he should be working on finesse and how to score without relying entirely on athleticism. It's a shame that he doesn't have easy access to some of the greatest post players of all time. :(

Loneshot
11-15-2013, 11:55 AM
Dude was never that good to begin with. It always boggled my mind how anyone thought he would do jack in LA (or anywhere outside the East) when if you watched him regularly in Orlando, he NEVER showed any sort of consistent offensive ability (he made the shots he was supposed to, courtesy of being on a team loaded with scorers). The league just wanted a dominant big man so much that they slapped the title on him, but Howard has never been anything to write home about. NEVER! His potential, at best, is Ben Wallace. Which means he needs to be nothing but boards and defense, but they shouldn't even think about asking him to score, and whatever team he's on will do much better.

boozehound
11-15-2013, 11:58 AM
affect

chocolatethunder
11-15-2013, 12:01 PM
At this point he should be working on finesse and how to score without relying entirely on athleticism. It's a shame that he doesn't have easy access to some of the greatest post players of all time. :(

He has no BBall IQ. You could have him live with Hakeem and McHale and it wouldn't do anything. He's just not smart. He will never have post moves.

get these NETS
11-15-2013, 12:16 PM
I think current players can more benefit from playing against former great defenders

than just attending a dream camp

dream was a great defensive player also....but I get feeling that he is just showing them HIS offensive moves

players get better(offensively) and adapt by playing against great defenders

Jordan never faced a better defender in the league than threepeat 2.0 scottie pippen for example taller, longer wingspan....excellent feet and instincts

raw...just -new- to- basketball college age Olajuwon got his butt kicked daily by MVP level Moses until he adapted

I think Alonzo Mourning, Ben Wallace, even 50 year old Rodman could make money and really help develop centers and forwards by having camps where there are scrimmages and they guard current nba big men

getting shut down by retired guy in front of other people will definitely motivate the dwights of the world and FORCE them to figure it ut

surprised nobody is doing this

Pointguard
11-15-2013, 12:47 PM

Yeah, he's an enigma. Before he was super active most of the time so he ran into points, rebounds and even blocks. He's still faster, quicker, as strong, more energetic than anybody at the position. I find it amazing that it doesn't come together more often. I do think if he focuses he will have more monster games than anybody this season. But when he does have them, it seemingly takes it's toll on his concentration and the next game is a waste.

He's a weird dude.

Micku
11-15-2013, 12:57 PM
He's playing the same way he did in ORL. Except then he was more athletic.

He had a solid post game with some various of moves in his last couple of seasons in ORL. He doesn't even use the backboard jumper anymore. While he wasn't a Bynum level (I don't think) he was still respectable. He used to love to face up as well. He wasn't as bad as this. And his FTs were better too. He used to shoot close to 60%, now he is shooting a notch below 50%.

He's regressed a lot on his offensive game since he left ORL. It might be his back, but it could be those were lucky years? I dunno how you forget your post game tho.

Mr Exlax
11-15-2013, 01:19 PM
He had a solid post game with some various of moves in his last couple of seasons in ORL. He doesn't even use the backboard jumper anymore. While he wasn't a Bynum level (I don't think) he was still respectable. He used to love to face up as well. He wasn't as bad as this. And his FTs were better too. He used to shoot close to 60%, now he is shooting a notch below 50%.

He's regressed a lot on his offensive game since he left ORL. It might be his back, but it could be those were lucky years? I dunno how you forget your post game tho.

I don't think he forgot how to do them per say. I think it's more of him getting used to his back. He doesn't appear to have any pain when he plays now. I just think this is the healthiest he's gonna get. After my back surgery the form on my jumper was completely different. My running motion was different. Hand eye coordination is gone. The thing is I don't practice where as he practices damn near every day lol.

3peated
11-15-2013, 01:27 PM
no it didn't. he just isn't good offensively and you can tell he isn't putting in the work to get better. he doesn't care. he's coasting on his potential instead of trying to do better.

Levity
11-15-2013, 02:06 PM
shaq was spot on yesterday when he said dwight only had two back to the basket moves. spot fcking on. and thats dwights biggest problem. no matter how much he trains with mchale or hakeem, hes not going to improve until he starts implementing one or two more post moves into his repertoire. but since hes so awkwardly clumsy in the post, its not going to be easy for him

SamuraiSWISH
11-15-2013, 04:06 PM
Most of his problems are mental, not physical.Not true at all. I remember a play last year in LA where he got hung on a rim for a dunk. The same guy who dunked on a 12 foot goal just a few years ago in the dunk contest. The guy's game, and impact was entirely predicated on athleticism. Even at his healthiest last season, and this season he looks to be about at best 75% the athlete he was up until the injury in the 2011-2012 season. Tremendous drop off. This isn't like Patrick Ewing who lost his athleticism following the 1990 / 1991 season iirc but at least he had tremendous amounts of skill to remain ELITE for the rest of his career. At this point, I don't think Dwight is the best center in the league.

DuMa
11-15-2013, 04:15 PM
yes to the title. he's not the same athlete mentally and physically. he isnt running as fluid as he used to.

SCdac
11-15-2013, 04:30 PM
It did affect his game, but I've thought for years he was overrated.

- Always had relatively low usage-% (as in, he doesn't have the ball in his hands as much as past greats)
- doesn't take a high amount of shots like premier scorers historically do
- played on a team with no PF (Rashard Lewis literally camped on the arch) and it opened up the lanes in ways hard to replicate on other teams
- has never had range
- always had a crappy assist/turnover ratio (lead the league in turnovers amongst bigs for YEARS)
- low basketball IQ

Needless to say, injuries are just part of the problem with him. His game is very flawed for an All Star.

Haymaker
11-15-2013, 04:51 PM
I think teams just adjusted and know how to defend him. Centers also lost respect for his game and now put more pressure on him.

JimmyMcAdocious
11-15-2013, 05:52 PM
affect

Thank you.

jzek
11-15-2013, 06:21 PM
He should work out with Hakeem. I heard you'll improve your post game if you did Olajuwon's camp. :oldlol:

Leftimage
11-15-2013, 07:15 PM
I'm noticing that a lot of athletic players coming into the league seem to decline rather more quick. For instance, Dwight, Rose, and Griffin's stats have all gone down a bit since a few years ago. I guess that's why athleticism is not everything because you only have it for so long.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-zO83IPEqBko/T-dBJFIvmlI/AAAAAAAABk4/Pi6cx7GyRRQ/s1600/mj_lebron3.jpg

I don't see that correlation at all. Discipline & focus have a far greater impact on longevity imo.

SamuraiSWISH
11-15-2013, 07:24 PM
I'm noticing that a lot of athletic players coming into the league seem to decline rather more quick.
These guys say hello:

http://www.mun2.tv/sites/mundos/files/slideshows/slide-greatest-main_0.jpg

RoundMoundOfReb
11-15-2013, 07:25 PM
These guys say hello:

http://www.mun2.tv/sites/mundos/files/slideshows/slide-greatest-main_0.jpg
Pretty much. The whole "athletic players decline quickly" thing is a myth.

andremiller07
11-15-2013, 07:27 PM
Pretty much. The whole "athletic players decline quickly" thing is a myth.
Well in most sports it is kind of true unless they adjust their games which those 3 gentlemen did.

RoundMoundOfReb
11-15-2013, 07:29 PM
Well in most sports it is kind of true unless they adjust their games which those 3 gentlemen did.
In basketball it's generally not true. I'd say the opposite might be true. That athletic players are able to stay above the threshold of being athletic enough for the NBA for longer.

Edit: Look at LeBron. He's 29 and still the most athletic player in the league.

SamuraiSWISH
11-15-2013, 07:34 PM
Shit, MJ was dominating at ages 33, 34, 35, 39, and 40 off pure craftiness, skill, and intelligence.

33 - 35 year old "Fadeaway Jordan", with like 80 - 90% of the athleticism he had in his prime / peak. MVP every year. Athleticism was clearly diminishing. Especially in '98 at 35, his hops were all but gone. Still had his blinding quickness and first step though.

"Floor Jordan" in Washington, at advanced old man ages of 39 and 40 ... when healthy? He was putting up 26 / 5 / 5 in 2002, and in 2003 after turning 40 and getting the starting job? 23 / 5 / 5. Exclusively off craftiness, intelligence, and pure skill.

All off craftiness. Kobe? His athleticism has greatly diminished given mileage since 2010. 2011 - 2013 there was times where he looked slow. He's still putting up 27 / 5 / 5 at age 34 years old. Incredible.

LeBron even, his athleticism has reduced every year since he turned 25 (his 7th season in the league in 2010) all that wear and tear being a perimeter stop and go, slash player while weighing 250 - 260 lbs? That's hell on joints, and ligaments.

He's slowed down, no matter who wants to admit it. But it's his skill level, and intelligence that has risen that has allowed him to continue to be the best player in the game still even though his athletic ability is probably like 85% of what it was pre 2011. He's played the most basketball straight that I can think of in the longest of time.

branslowski
11-15-2013, 07:38 PM
No. He's just a overrated bitch made player who's boxscore numbers don't actually impact a game for his team to be title contenders.

Called the best Center in the league during a era where there's really no great Centers. Yet, dude has no lowpost game and is a cancer for his team down the stretch because he can't make freethrows.

How u get owned by Bargnani though?