PDA

View Full Version : Let s be real: Hibbert is the best center in the league

livinglegend
11-15-2013, 11:12 PM
Great size and know how to use it. One of the few Centers to actually have a post game. Can make his fts, cant hack him like most centers. Creates mismatches. Great defender, excellent interior defense.

Meticode
11-15-2013, 11:14 PM
9.9 PPG
8.8 RPG
47% shooting from the field

Yes, best center numbers right there. Grant it, he's been great defensively, but besides this game he's struggled.

R.I.P.
11-15-2013, 11:16 PM
9.9 PPG
8.8 RPG

Yes, best center numbers right there. Grant it, he's been great defensively, but besides this game he's struggled.

Yeah let

livinglegend
11-15-2013, 11:19 PM
9.9 PPG
8.8 RPG

29.6 min
11.4 ppg
8.9 rbs
4.8 Blks
50.6 % FG

No center impacts the game more than him.

Trollsmasher
Manufactured by the hype of his "not-so-straight-up-game".

RoundMoundOfReb
Let's be real, he's not. Dwight is.

livinglegend
11-15-2013, 11:21 PM
The guy that got outplayed by Bargnani. :lol
Howard is a liability on offence.
Hurts the team in the 4th quarter.

Kblaze8855
11-15-2013, 11:23 PM
One of the few Centers to actually have a post game.

Hes 7'2'', built like a pro wrestler, and every time I watch him it feels like hes scoring mostly off putbacks and a gimme basket or two. Im not ready to say hes a scorer. If he is his team doesnt seem to feel letting him do it would help them.

If hes an especially good post scorer he isnt using it to put the ball in the basket.

CelticBaller
11-15-2013, 11:25 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Dwight is, get real.

Meticode
11-15-2013, 11:26 PM
29.6 min
11.4 ppg
8.9 rbs
4.8 Blks
50.6 % FG

No center impacts the game more than him.
Dwight Howard impacts the game more than he does, but in a negative way. :oldlol:

Uncle Drew
11-15-2013, 11:26 PM
You can't be the best center in the game, without playing in the 4th because you can't hit free throws. Hibbert went 8-8 from the line tonight. Also shot 80% FG, works out with Duncan and seems to get better. Dwight has McHale and the Dream, and is on the same level as a few months (years?) ago.

RoundMoundOfReb
11-15-2013, 11:28 PM
You can't be the best center in the game, without playing in the 4th because you can't hit free throws. Hibbert went 8-8 from the line tonight. Also shot 80%, works out with Duncan and seems to get better. Dwight has McHale and the Dream, and is on the same level as a few months (years?) ago.
So shaq was never the best center in the league?

Note: I am not saying Dwight is close to Shaq. Just pointing out that being a bad FT shooter does not exclude one from being the best center in the league.

Kblaze8855
11-15-2013, 11:31 PM
You can't be the best center in the game, without playing in the 4th because you can't hit free throws.

In at least 27 seasons the best center in the NBA has been a terrible FT shooter....

Uncle Drew
11-15-2013, 11:35 PM

Note: I am not saying Dwight is close to Shaq. Just pointing out that being a bad FT shooter does not exclude one from being the best center in the league.
Agreed, but there is somewhat of a difference there. Shaq actually made some free throws when he had to. Ask the Sacramento Kings.

HoopsFanNumero1
11-15-2013, 11:50 PM
Agreed, but there is somewhat of a difference there. Shaq actually made some free throws when he had to. Ask the Sacramento Kings.

So has Dwight. He shot 70% from the line in the '09 ECF.

CelticBaller
11-15-2013, 11:57 PM
In at least 27 seasons the best center in the NBA has been a terrible FT shooter....
Forget about that, the moment you can make free throws you become the best in the league. Yao Ming for GOAT!

kamil
11-15-2013, 11:59 PM
With the offense that Indiana has... he doesnt need to score as much. Let him take it easy on the offense and focus more on defense. Their undefeated record so far is proof that their system works.

He's definitely great though.

Mr. Jabbar
11-16-2013, 12:03 AM
lmao @ the dwight howard fan club, kings of lost causes, these guys really enjoy playing devil's avdocate , or perhaps they just enjoy a good time at the circus

http://imageshack.us/a/img4/8184/f85j.png

crunk-juice
11-16-2013, 12:04 AM
9.9 PPG
8.8 RPG

grant it

grant it

grant it

MavsSuperFan
11-16-2013, 12:12 AM
do you guys think marc gasol has an argument for best center in the league?

Mr. Jabbar
11-16-2013, 12:20 AM
do you guys think marc gasol has an argument for best center in the league?

he has a good case, good case for hibbert too, dwights case is more of a mental one

no pun intended
11-16-2013, 12:29 AM
At least Hibbert knows how to convert his blocks into possessions.

MavsSuperFan
11-16-2013, 12:32 AM
Honestly all this discussion does is highlight how weak the center position is. The 5th best center in the 90s would probably be a God now.

LAZERUSS
11-16-2013, 12:37 AM
Absolutely.

Horde of Temujin
11-16-2013, 12:54 AM

No he's not.

Horford
Timmy
Brook Lopez
Bogut
Hibbert
Noah
Cousins
Marc Gasol

Are all better

LONGTIME
11-16-2013, 01:06 AM
No he's not.

Horford
Timmy
Brook Lopez
Bogut
Hibbert
Noah
Cousins
Marc Gasol

Are all better

Andrew Bynum is also better, if he could stay healthy.

Droid101
11-16-2013, 01:10 AM
In this thread: a bunch of people who haven't seen how well Hibbert anchors the best defense in the league.

Legends66NBA7
11-16-2013, 01:24 AM
So Hibbert beasts against Ekpe Udoh, Miroslav Raduljica, and Zaza Pachulia = Best Center ?

How come the best center got locked up vs Marc Gasol last game they played and he scored 3 points on 1-4 shooting 7 rebounds ? Had 5 blocks, but the Stephenson and George won that game for the Pacers.

Yeah, impacts the game more than any center. :oldlol:

In this thread: a bunch of people who haven't seen how well Hibbert anchors the best defense in the league.

Hibbert is like the Mark Eaton of this era. Hibbert is slightly better at scoring, but he does almost nothing else better than Eaton. Don't think Eaton ever got considered the best center in the league, even though he anchored the best defense in the league on multiple occasions.

Guy Ledouche
11-16-2013, 01:30 AM
Dwight is still the best center.

Greg Oden 50
11-16-2013, 01:33 AM

DWIGHT CAN'T POST UP,ONLY CAN SCORES WITH DUNK,AIR FREE THROWS :roll:

Greg Oden 50
11-16-2013, 01:36 AM

SHAQ AVG 30PPG,13 REBS,3 BLKS AND DWIGHT NEVER AVERAGE MORE THAN 22 PPG:roll:

Greg Oden 50
11-16-2013, 01:41 AM
So Hibbert beasts against Ekpe Udoh, Miroslav Raduljica, and Zaza Pachulia = Best Center ?

How come the best center got locked up vs Marc Gasol last game they played and he scored 3 points on 1-4 shooting 7 rebounds ? Had 5 blocks, but the Stephenson and George won that game for the Pacers.

Yeah, impacts the game more than any center. :oldlol:

Hibbert is like the Mark Eaton of this era. Hibbert is slightly better at scoring, but he does almost nothing else better than Eaton. Don't think Eaton ever got considered the best center in the league, even though he anchored the best defense in the league on multiple occasions.

HE CAN HOOKS WITH BOTH HANDS,SHOTS FROM 17 FT,MUCH BETTER THAN DWIGHT ONLY CAN DUNK :oldlol:

Legends66NBA7
11-16-2013, 01:42 AM
HE CAN HOOKS WITH BOTH HANDS,SHOTS FROM 17 FT,MUCH BETTER THAN DWIGHT ONLY CAN DUNK :oldlol:

I never said anything about Howard.

Hibbert's not the best center in the league, though.

LAZERUSS
11-16-2013, 01:45 AM
I never said anything about Howard.

Hibbert's not the best center in the league, though.

It amazes me that Hibbert is getting so much hype here for what is basically a 10-10-5 .500 FG% season (so far.)

juju151111
11-16-2013, 01:49 AM
It amazes me that Hibbert is getting so much hype here for what is basically a 10-10-5 .500 FG% season (so far.)
It's funny to me. This era centers have been garbage since Duncan/Shaq got done.

Heavincent
11-16-2013, 01:50 AM
I like Hibbert, but I feel like he should put up much better scoring numbers considering how well he moves for a man of his size. Also has a nice touch on his hook shot and can even hit a mid range jumper every once in a while. For some reason that just hasn't translated into good offensive numbers. He's arguably the best defensive player in the league though.

KOBE143
11-16-2013, 01:51 AM
Hibbert >>> Wilt aka poor mans Mcgee

umad?

Legends66NBA7
11-16-2013, 01:52 AM

It's just a prisoner of the moment reaction, as usual.

If Howard, Gasol, Duncan, etc... score 3 points 7 rebounds 5 block game, while their wing players absolutely dominate the last game they played, you could have sworn they were role players.

And yeah, the line is basically very Mark Eaton-esque. Nothing wrong with saying Hibbert=Eaton either, Eaton was a beast on defense. Best center ? He's too inconsistent. A fine fit for the Pacers, but that team will have either George, Stephenson, or Hibbert set the tone and if Granger ever returns to form, him too.

If it was really Hibbert's team, he would be commanding Top MVP consideration, DPOY consideration, and averaging much more minutes and numbers. As of now, that's not even him. It's Paul George for the Pacers.

LAZERUSS
11-16-2013, 01:52 AM
Hibbert >>> Wilt aka poor mans Mcgee

umad?

You would be hard-pressed to find single games in Wilt's career...in which he played so poorly (10-10-5 .500 FG% numbers.)

KOBE143
11-16-2013, 01:54 AM
You would be hard-pressed to find single games in Wilt's career...in which he played so poorly (10-10-5 .500 FG% numbers.)
Prime Wilt would be a bench player today.. :banana:

LAZERUSS
11-16-2013, 01:58 AM
Prime Wilt would be a bench player today.. :banana:

Yep... a player who was nearly 7-2, and would be measured at over 7-3 in today's NBA, with a 7-8 wingspan, 280-310 lbs, with track speed and a college high-jump champion...would be a bench player in today's NBA. Probably be backing up someone like Chuck Hayes.

juju151111
11-16-2013, 02:41 AM
Yep... a player who was nearly 7-2, and would be measured at over 7-3 in today's NBA, with a 7-8 wingspan, 280-310 lbs, with track speed and a college high-jump champion...would be a bench player in today's NBA. Probably be backing up someone like Chuck Hayes.
Even through I diss Wilt a lot no way he doesn't put up some amazing numbers today. He would definitely be a defensive player of the year. He was a freak of nature in terms of length and height. He got Orlando Dwight explosiveness, but taller and bigger.

Greg Oden 50
11-16-2013, 02:47 AM

in just less than 30 mpg,9 fga :applause:

Greg Oden 50
11-16-2013, 02:49 AM

but wilt is soft mentally :oldlol:

RoseCity07
11-16-2013, 02:50 AM
I don't care how crazy it sounds, I'd rather have Hibbert than Dwight Howard.

crunk-juice
11-16-2013, 02:57 AM

many would :cheers:

Mr. Jabbar
11-16-2013, 03:11 AM

thats not crazy at all, in fact it makes so much sense

ItsMillerTime
11-16-2013, 03:21 AM
I don't see why PPG is a huge deal to you guys. On this Pacers squad, Hibbert does not need to score 20+ points a game for the team to win. They can rely on any of their other starters to put up points, but nobody impacts the defensive rim like Hibbert. You can't deny his blocks per game. He impacts so much, much more than just scoring offense..

I would rather take a team-oriented center rather than a prima donna worried about his personal stats any day.

Gabuyaux
11-16-2013, 03:37 AM
Best center in the League? Fine. I guess the best center in the League is also like the 20th AT BEST player in the League. Weak era for centers.

PTstyle272
11-16-2013, 03:58 AM
http://imageshack.us/a/img4/8184/f85j.png

:oldlol:

Greg Oden 50
11-16-2013, 04:09 AM
Best center in the League? Fine. I guess the best center in the League is also like the 20th AT BEST player in the League. Weak era for centers.

still over howard :applause:

All Net
11-16-2013, 06:10 AM
Best defensively

He hasn't scored many points but hasn't needed to.

Nick Young
11-16-2013, 06:32 AM

Shaq was the most dominant offensive force in basketball history. Shaq had amazing fundamentals and loads of post moves.

I am disgusted you can compare Scrub Howard with The Big Aristotle.

Teams hacked Shaq but it didnt matter, he was so strong he's still get the and-1 at a really high rate so it didnt matter so much he missed freethrows.

D12 is not that dominant, can't pass, and turns the ball over way more. Also Dwight is undersized center and Shaq was huge. Horrible comparison.

A better comparison for Dwight is prime Ben Wallace.

SacJB Shady
11-16-2013, 06:38 AM
still over howard :applause:

But I'm looking at Howard's stats and he's averaging 14 rebounds. Scoring more points that Hibbert as well, which would suggest Howard is still the best individual center in the league.

InspiredLebowski
11-16-2013, 06:58 AM
He's Mutumbo 2.0. wears 55 and everything. see you haters at the HOF induction.

WHO WANTS TO SEX THE HIBBERT?!

also, jesus, HOORAY COUNTING STATS! basketball needs an MLB style statistical revolution, an that's in no way related to me being a Pacers fan.

Clutch
11-16-2013, 07:05 AM
Let's compare these guys:

SCORING:
Dwight - 17.1 , Hibbert - 11.4

Seems like a clear advantage for Dwight,doesn't it ? Well,not exactly.
Dwight takes more field goal attempts per game and what people forget to mention,he takes A LOT more free throws (10 versus 3). Also if you consider that the Pacers are playing slow,grind it out type of basketball and the Rockets run a lot which puts Dwight into easier positions to score than Hibbert.
Also,let's not forget Dwight got owned by Andrea Bargnani both on offense and defense.

REBOUNDING:
Dwight - 14.9 , Hibbert 8.9

Seems like a clear advantage for Dwight but if you look at their contested rebound percentage it's about the same. Dwight plays 7 more minutes too.

BLOCKING:
Dwight - 2.5 , Hibbert 4.8

Clear advantage for Hibbert. Also if you look at their opponent FG% at the rim Hibbert has a clear advantage,33.8% while Dwight's opponent score 47.4% of times at the rim. That's worse than Bargnani's 43.5% :oldlol:

Also factor in that Hibbert isn't a cancer and is actually a serious basketball player who isn't taking every opportunity to goof around.

SacJB Shady
11-16-2013, 07:25 AM
Let's compare these guys:

SCORING:
Dwight - 17.1 , Hibbert - 11.4

Seems like a clear advantage for Dwight,doesn't it ? Well,not exactly.
Dwight takes more field goal attempts per game and what people forget to mention,he takes A LOT more free throws (10 versus 3). Also if you consider that the Pacers are playing slow,grind it out type of basketball and the Rockets run a lot which puts Dwight into easier positions to score than Hibbert.
Also,let's not forget Dwight got owned by Andrea Bargnani both on offense and defense.

REBOUNDING:
Dwight - 14.9 , Hibbert 8.9

Seems like a clear advantage for Dwight but if you look at their contested rebound percentage it's about the same. Dwight plays 7 more minutes too.

BLOCKING:
Dwight - 2.5 , Hibbert 4.8

Clear advantage for Hibbert. Also if you look at their opponent FG% at the rim Hibbert has a clear advantage,33.8% while Dwight's opponent score 47.4% of times at the rim. That's worse than Bargnani's 43.5% :oldlol:

Also factor in that Hibbert isn't a cancer and is actually a serious basketball player who isn't taking every opportunity to goof around.

Well, Hibbert has some baggage too. He has used homophobic slurs.

alenleomessi
11-16-2013, 07:58 AM
i think he could be but he is not there right now... sometimes when i watch this guy i wonder how the hell isnt he dominating and averaging like 20/10... but sometimes he completely disappears and is a huge liability on offense.. like the games against the heat..

Nick Young
11-16-2013, 08:05 AM

Key stat right there. No one is afraid of Dwight Coward anymore. He is no longer DPoTY level center.

People always talk about him 'altering shots' and yet all of last year I've seen some of the scrubbiest scrubs in the league taking it hard to him at the rim and he was unable to do anything about it.

Statistically Bargnani is a better interior defender then Dwight, says it all really. Dwightmare is living off a reputation from 4 years ago.

Haymaker
11-16-2013, 08:53 AM
Shaq was the most dominant offensive force in basketball history. Shaq had amazing fundamentals and loads of post moves.

Teams hacked Shaq but it didnt matter, he was so strong he's still get the and-1 at a really high rate so it didnt matter so much he missed freethrows.

D12 is not that dominant, can't pass, and turns the ball over way more. Also Dwight is undersized center and Shaq was huge. Horrible comparison.

:applause: Well said.

STATUTORY
11-16-2013, 09:29 AM
Key stat right there. No one is afraid of Dwight Coward anymore. He is no longer DPoTY level center.

People always talk about him 'altering shots' and yet all of last year I've seen some of the scrubbiest scrubs in the league taking it hard to him at the rim and he was unable to do anything about it.

Statistically Bargnani is a better interior defender then Dwight, says it all really. Dwightmare is living off a reputation from 4 years ago.

all his blocks are glorified goal tends or shots that had no chance of going in and him swatting it into the front row gives opposing team another crack at a field goal :facepalm

guy is a straight up clown

Nash
11-16-2013, 09:54 AM
Let's be real, Greg Oden is the best center in the league if he had someone elses knees.

Miller for 3
11-16-2013, 01:40 PM
Lol at people saying Hibbert has no offensive game. Probably still living in denial that he has grown from his Georgetown days. Hibbert led the league in hookshots last year, and shot over 65% on them. He doesn't get spoonfed baskets (srs, look at the percentage of his FGs that are assisted, it's comically low compared to Dwight, Lopez, Gasol, Jefferson, etc.), so he has to create almost every one of his baskets by himself. That counts.

Sure, Tyson chandler may shoot 70% on nothing but alleyopps and putbacks. But Roy commands a double team and you can run an offense through him. You can't say the same about Dwight, who in addition to having no post game, is a terrible passer and can't shoot FTs.

dunksby
11-16-2013, 02:00 PM
Let's be real, Greg Oden is the best center in the league if he had someone elses knees.
Bynum's?

Rolando
11-16-2013, 03:35 PM

:pimp: Not bad for a guy with loads of bad rep.....:applause:

mark henson 123
05-13-2014, 05:36 PM
:pimp: Not bad for a guy with loads of bad rep.....:applause:
Dwight howard is the best center in the nba

roy hibbert will lose to the heat in six cause he stinks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:biggums:

mark henson 123
05-27-2014, 06:30 PM
roy hibbert stinks!
Dwight howard is the best center!:rockon: :coleman: