PDA

View Full Version : Why are stats so inflated in this era?

9erempiree
11-16-2013, 01:10 AM
There are a lot of players last year and this year who were dropping 30 with 10 rebounds or 30 plus with 10 assists by small combo/point guards. Something has to give and I don't remember any era that I have witnessed, there were these kind of stats.

Scrubs are putting up great games too.

#number6ix#
11-16-2013, 01:12 AM
Maybe it's better overall talent in the league now... Or just terrible defense

MetsPackers
I know, right? Kobe's 35ppg season would've been no more than 21ppg in the 90s. Fricken era specific players, huh?

RoundMoundOfReb
please lock

9erempiree
11-16-2013, 01:14 AM

It's like late 80's and early 90's stats this year except not only do players have high FG% but they are getting double digits in other areas such as rebounding and assists.

LAZERUSS
11-16-2013, 01:16 AM
Teams have played about one-tenth of their schedule this season...

Wavves
11-16-2013, 01:17 AM
It's like late 80's and early 90's stats this year except not only do players have high FG% but they are getting double digits in other areas such as rebounding and assists.

:rolleyes:

Brook(lyn)Lopez
11-16-2013, 01:33 AM
It's the genetically modified super foods and HGH that has allowed players to put up stat lines that were once seen impossible by anyone not named by Wilt Chamberlin.

KOBE143
11-16-2013, 01:33 AM
When the known best player is statpadding to the max, its just norms for the rest to statpad.. In Kobe era, everyone was working hard because their best player was known to be a great good looking player who work hard to earn his stats and accomplishment.. Right now everyone doesnt care about playing great because they know they can have good stats by just statpadding.. This is the trend now just like in the 60s where the trend is to play no defense that resulted to inflated stats..

LAZERUSS
11-16-2013, 01:34 AM
When the known best player is statpadding to the max, its just norms for the rest to statpad.. In Kobe era, everyone was working hard because their best player was known to be a great good looking player who work hard to earn his stats and accomplishment.. Right now everyone doesnt care about playing great because they know they can have good stats by just statpadding.. This is the trend now just like in the 60s where the trend is to play no defense that resulted to inflated stats..

:facepalm

KOBE143
11-16-2013, 01:37 AM
:facepalm
Talk about an old man who's literally infatuated to a dead man.. :facepalm

TyroneNBAFan
11-16-2013, 01:37 AM

If it was so easy to stat pad and shoot 55-60%, why doesn't Kobe do it?

Isn't he good enough to make that high of a % of his shots?

KOBE143
11-16-2013, 01:47 AM
If it was so easy to stat pad and shoot 55-60%, why doesn't Kobe do it?

Isn't he good enough to make that high of a % of his shots?
Kobe doesnt statpad like LeBron..

LeBron likes to cherry pick his shot, Kobe doesnt but that doesnt mean Kobe cant shoot 60%.. Its just Kobe doesnt care about his stats.. Kobe only cares about winning unlike LeBron who mostly care about hi stats.. Thats why people will always choose Kobe to take the last shot over LeBron because they know Kobe is a winner..

TyroneNBAFan
11-16-2013, 01:56 AM
Kobe doesnt statpad like LeBron..

LeBron likes to cherry pick his shot, Kobe doesnt but that doesnt mean Kobe cant shoot 60%.. Its just Kobe doesnt care about his stats.. Kobe only cares about winning unlike LeBron who mostly care about hi stats.. Thats why people will always choose Kobe to take the last shot over LeBron because they know Kobe is a winner..

I don't understand.

You mean to tell me, if Kobe takes 20 shots, he'd rather go 9-20 instead of 12-20? Wouldn't the extra 3 makes help his team win?

And if he's capable, why hasn't he shot better than 45%? I think the 2-3 extra makes would really help his team.

It's not like he's getting 2-3 extra assists, or rebounds, he's taking more shots AND missing more than the high% type players (like Dantley, Aguire, Lebron, Barkley, Kareem, Shaq, Wilt).

LAZERUSS
11-16-2013, 02:11 AM
Current NBA is averaging 99.6 ppg and 44.3 rpg. Definitely "inflated" stats.

KOBE143
11-16-2013, 02:23 AM
I don't understand.

You mean to tell me, if Kobe takes 20 shots, he'd rather go 9-20 instead of 12-20? Wouldn't the extra 3 makes help his team win?

And if he's capable, why hasn't he shot better than 45%? I think the 2-3 extra makes would really help his team.

It's not like he's getting 2-3 extra assists, or rebounds, he's taking more shots AND missing more than the high% type players (like Dantley, Aguire, Lebron, Barkley, Kareem, Shaq, Wilt).
There are times where LeBron is shooting 12-15fg in the first half but would rather stop shooting in the 2nd half to protect his fg% even it cost his team to lose unlike Kobe who would keep shooting to win.. Kobe doesnt care if it hurts his fg% because this is what his team needs to win.. This is why FG% is overrated..

zoom17
11-16-2013, 02:29 AM
There are times where LeBron is shooting 12-15fg in the first half but would rather stop shooting in the 2nd half to protect his fg% even it cost his team to lose unlike Kobe who would keep shooting to win.. Kobe doesnt care if it hurts his fg% because this is what his team needs to win.. This is why FG% is overrated..

pathetic kobe stan excess:oldlol:

D-Wade316
11-16-2013, 03:18 AM
The current pace has been the fastest since the 93-94 season. http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_stats.html

TyroneNBAFan
11-16-2013, 03:57 AM

Lebron was 7-10 in the 1st half of tonights game. In the 2nd half he was 7-8. For the game he was 14-18. He actually shot just as much and was more efficient in the 2nd half.

I'm still unclear on what you're trying to say here. Is Shaq's FG% overrated? Kareem's? Wilt's? Kevin Mchale? Barkley? Because that's what Lebron is doing right now, shooting elite big man percentages on big man volume.

I don't see how Lebron, Shaq, Wilt, Kareem or any player who makes a high% of their shots is less valuable or some how hurting their team more than someone like Kobe who can have stretches of 5-22, 12-33, 9-24 before having a high FG% game.

Those missed shots are like turnovers. You know that right?

Far more often than not (about 75-80% of the time) those misses are rebounded by the other team.

Also you never answered my question; Why hasn't Kobe ever connected on 50, 55, 60% of his shots? Not even 47%.

You say Kobe CAN do it right? Why doesn't Kobe make most of his shots instead of missing the majority of them (55%).

Why would Kobe CHOOSE to miss more shots than he makes? Is that what you're implying?

RoundMoundOfReb
11-16-2013, 04:13 AM
Lebron was 7-10 in the 1st half of tonights game. In the 2nd half he was 7-8. For the game he was 14-18. He actually shot just as much and was more efficient in the 2nd half.

I'm still unclear on what you're trying to say here. Is Shaq's FG% overrated? Kareem's? Wilt's? Kevin Mchale? Barkley? Because that's what Lebron is doing right now, shooting elite big man percentages on big man volume.

I don't see how Lebron, Shaq, Wilt, Kareem or any player who makes a high% of their shots is less valuable or some how hurting their team more than someone like Kobe who can have stretches of 5-22, 12-33, 9-24 before having a high FG% game.

Those missed shots are like turnovers. You know that right?

Far more often than not (about 75-80% of the time) those misses are rebounded by the other team.

Also you never answered my question; Why hasn't Kobe ever connected on 50, 55, 60% of his shots? Not even 47%.

You say Kobe CAN do it right? Why doesn't Kobe make most of his shots instead of missing the majority of them (55%).

Why would Kobe CHOOSE to miss more shots than he makes? Is that what you're implying?
KOBE143 is a troll acount dude (likely a kobe hater). You're wasting your time.

Greg Oden 50
11-16-2013, 04:32 AM

no quaility center in this era :banana:

TyroneNBAFan
11-16-2013, 04:47 AM
KOBE143 is a troll acount dude (likely a kobe hater). You're wasting your time.

Yeah I know. This site is infested with trolls.

The only reason I come here is to laugh at these fools, egg them on, see how much BS they come up with.

You think I'd come to this garbage @ss site to really talk hoops? :lol

Overdrive
11-16-2013, 06:00 AM
There are a lot of players last year and this year who were dropping 30 with 10 rebounds or 30 plus with 10 assists by small combo/point guards. Something has to give and I don't remember any era that I have witnessed, there were these kind of stats.

Scrubs are putting up great games too.

This is the only era you've witnessed.

Nick Young
11-16-2013, 08:16 AM
The rules have been changed making it impossible for defenders to play strong defense without getting a foul everytime down the court. Even tiny brushes against a player result in freethrows now, which leads to players like Harden whose offensive game is only about getting fouled so he can shoot lots of freethrows.

Meticode
11-16-2013, 08:51 AM
I think the first thing to look at (which I haven't), would be the average amount of freethrow attempts per game each team would take for a year and compare that to now to see if there are any major differences.

9erempiree
11-16-2013, 09:21 AM
no quaility center in this era :banana:

I believe it's this because last night while watching Lebron's game against the Mavs, the first 4 or 5 shots they showed were his shots in the paint.

Wade had a wide open break away dunk and he did one of his half ass, no look passes to Lebron for a dunk.

The man is good in transition, no doubt, but he does get spoon fed a lot of shots.

STATUTORY
11-16-2013, 09:25 AM
even jodie meeks is putting up 25+ points from time to time :roll: guy probably wouldn't even been able to get a shot off in the handcheck/zone era that kobe spent his early prime in

9erempiree
11-16-2013, 09:28 AM
I know it's early in the season but here is another example:

Jeff Teague is averaging 20 points 10 assists so far and he is a career 9/4 player.

9erempiree
11-16-2013, 09:30 AM
Another one here.....

Kevin Love, I like him as a player too, is averaging 27/14/5. :eek:

Yes, he's an all star and a good player but he shouldn't be averaging legendary numbers.

Inactive
11-16-2013, 09:48 AM
League EFG% is the same as it's always been. FG% is the same as it's been for the last decade. Scoring is the same as it's been since around 05.

Nick Young
11-16-2013, 09:49 AM
Another one here.....

Kevin Love, I like him as a player too, is averaging 27/14/5. :eek:

Yes, he's an all star and a good player but he shouldn't be averaging legendary numbers.
Kevin Love is amazing, have you ever seen him in Bruins practices hitting fullcourt shots with wrist passes? He works hard on his game, reaping the benefits of all the hard work now.

Offensively he's a great shooter, great passer, great offensive rebounder and has a solid high and low post game, he's undersized and thats why his post game isnt great because his moves and fundamentals are superb.

Kevin Love is highly skilled in every single element of offense a PF should be skilled in. His numbers are believable.

Rebounding is abit inflated, he often leaves his man to chase rebounds, so he gets the stat but doesnt necessarily help his team as much as if he had just boxed out his guy.

Defensively he isn't great but atleast is putting effort in now.