PDA

View Full Version : What would KD have to do to get the "Top 10 All-Time" talks going?

Scholar
11-16-2013, 06:09 PM
He's obviously top 3 in today's NBA.

I'm in no way, shape or form suggesting he is a top 10 all-time player, but he has obviously shown huge potential to be in consideration of it.

What do you guys think? Other than the obvious of winning a few rings, what would Durant need to do to be in the talks of Top 10 All-Time?

A better question would be: How soon do you think top 10 talks for KD will start up? Do you even think he'll be top 10 all-time when his career is over?

BigTicket
11-16-2013, 06:10 PM
The same as everyone else, win a few MVP's and rings.

NumberSix
11-16-2013, 06:12 PM
I don't see it. Maybe he'll be that level of player later on, but as of now. No. Can't see it.

USABall
11-16-2013, 06:12 PM
He's obviously top 3

Not top 2? I hope you're not suggesting or thinking Kevin Love is better than Durant based on a few games..

KyleKong
11-16-2013, 06:13 PM
I think he will be youngest player to reach 20,000 points, or at least be second behind LeBron.

He needs to win a couple of MVPs, and at least one ring to get into the top 10.

If he keeps winning scoring titles, that will help a lot as well.

TheMarkMadsen
11-16-2013, 06:22 PM
FMVP before he turns 28.

Will get the talks going for sure.

BigTicket
11-16-2013, 06:22 PM
I think he will be youngest player to reach 20,000 points, or at least be second behind LeBron.

He needs to win a couple of MVPs, and at least one ring to get into the top 10.

If he keeps winning scoring titles, that will help a lot as well.

I doubt he will be the youngest to 20000.

He's 7508 point short of the mark, and he has a maximum of 238 games left to get there. So if he plays every single game, he will need to average at least 31.6ppg (which he has never done for even a single season).

NLZ
11-16-2013, 06:23 PM
He'd have to continue to improve first and most of all...

SamuraiSWISH
11-16-2013, 06:23 PM
At least 2x MVPs, more scoring titles, big games SANS excessive free-throws, playoff performances, improved defense / alpha-ness and at least 2x RINGS. I'd also like to see him overtake or outplay an elite contemporary on a big stage. At least for me, anyway.

NumberSix
11-16-2013, 06:27 PM
At least 2x MVPs, more scoring titles, big games SANS excessive free-throws, playoff performances, improved defense / alpha-ness and at least 2x RINGS. I'd also like to see him overtake or outplay an elite contemporary on a big stage. At least for me, anyway.
Meh. Does anybody really care about scoring titles? I mean, wasn't the scoring title always seen as somewhat of a "you're not a team player" award until Jordan started winning titles?

Trollsmasher
11-16-2013, 06:28 PM
Becoming a 1st option on his own team would be a nice start.

SamuraiSWISH
11-16-2013, 06:28 PM
Meh. Does anybody really care about scoring titles? I mean, wasn't the scoring title always seen as somewhat of a "you're not a team player" award until Jordan started winning titles?
Considering that's his strongest attribute, I consider it in KD's case to be important. Same goes for Kobe. He's known for scoring, admittedly that's usually his focus and he really only has 2 scoring titles. LeBron has 1, and he admits scoring isn't his primary focus. The rest of the guy's on the top ten list who weren't scoring centric, it doesn't matter to me as much.

KyleKong
11-16-2013, 06:29 PM

It depends on their other stats. Someone wins a scoring title with like 1-2.5 APG, than yeah, you a selfish bastard.

Real Men Wear Green
11-16-2013, 06:31 PM
MVP awards and/or Championships. Until he has multiple, he definitely is not. It's that simple.

HomieWeMajor
11-16-2013, 06:31 PM
A few 30-7-5 seasons on good efficiency , a couple of MVPs and then a couple of rings.

Qwyjibo
11-16-2013, 06:39 PM
Not get injured and a couple MVP awards.

I'm sure some people will say titles too but he doesn't have full control over that. Teams win titles and if there are better constructed teams than the one that he's on, what can he do?

SamuraiSWISH
11-16-2013, 06:40 PM

I'm sure some people will say titles too but he doesn't have full control over that. Teams win titles and if there are better constructed teams than the one that he's on, what can he do?
Pull a LeBron, and totally stack the deck in the opposite direction to where it's virtually impossible not to win?

KyleKong
11-16-2013, 06:46 PM
I doubt he will be the youngest to 20000.

He's 7508 point short of the mark, and he has a maximum of 238 games left to get there. So if he plays every single game, he will need to average at least 31.6ppg (which he has never done for even a single season).

Thanks for doing the math for me. :cheers:

So he'll be the second youngest most likely.

TheMarkMadsen
11-16-2013, 06:51 PM
It depends on their other stats. Someone wins a scoring title with like 1-2.5 APG, than yeah, you a selfish bastard.

Yeah because watching the games doesn't show anything.

I don't have to look at Durants apg to know he's not a selfish player

tpols
11-16-2013, 06:55 PM
top flight impact on the way to multiple rings is the only real way to get in

NumberSix
11-16-2013, 07:06 PM
Considering that's his strongest attribute, I consider it in KD's case to be important. Same goes for Kobe. He's known for scoring, admittedly that's usually his focus and he really only has 2 scoring titles. LeBron has 1, and he admits scoring isn't his primary focus. The rest of the guy's on the top ten list who weren't scoring centric, it doesn't matter to me as much.
My real point is, why should we SPECIFICALLY care about scoring titles? Is it any more valuable than being the assist leader, steals leader or rebound leader or efficiency leader? I just don't see any logic in valuing this one particular skill over others.

There are different play styles. I don't see any reason to value the "scoring leader" style of play over other styles that don't lend themselves to winning these types of awards. We'll never see Chris Paul win a scoring title. I'm not gonna say Melo is a more accomplished player simply because his style of play can result in that particular award.

I doubt we'd see a guy like Paul George lead the league in anything, but he's definitely greater than a guy who's simply an inefficient volume scorer or a guy like Ibaka who can lead in blocks.

I just don't see any reason to value these type of awards. I don't really care if a guy leads the league in 1 specific thing.

If player A averages 28/4/2 on 42% while playing no D and player B averages 26/8/6 on 52% while being a valuable defender, you shouldn't give the obviously worse player extra credit because he happens to lead the league at 1 specific stat. It really doesn't matter.

okayabc123
11-16-2013, 08:16 PM
Uh.. we are talking about ALL TIME TOP 10 here... that ain't a walk in the park and you automatically gets to be in that conversation.

KD has only been to the finals once. He is a great scorer, no doubt, but that aside, what else has he accomplish?

KD has had great teams in the recent years, and has NOT proven he is a winner yet. So as far as top 10 conversation is concern, he is far from it.

You don't get to be in top 10 just because you are the youngest to score 20,000 or whatever. Come back in 5 years, and lets talk where KD is, for now, he is nothing more than a Allen Iverson/TMac.

Odinn
11-16-2013, 08:36 PM
Oscar Robertson isn't listed as one of the top 10 ever if you aren't a guy obsessed with oldies. And yet you are talking about Kevin Durant?!

Even he wins multiple MVPs and multiple rings, he probably will not be counted as top 10. He isn't just that good. Simple as that.

Now... STFU OP.

KobesFinger
11-16-2013, 09:54 PM
Rings as leader, co-leader or 2nd in command. No Fisher/Horry rings

AintNoSunshine
11-16-2013, 09:59 PM
3 rings, 3 mvps, 3 fmvp, some scoring champs and some scoring records.

Because Lebron being a better player than Durant really didn't crack the top 10 before his back to back championships and fmvp's, even today some people still don't have him in the top 10. So for Durant to get there, he needs to have the hardwares as well as showing he's one of the most lethal scorer the league has seen.

asdf1990
11-16-2013, 10:05 PM
1-2 MVPS, 2 Rings+, 1FMVP+, some iconic games in the playoffs when his team needs him the most.

Scholar
11-16-2013, 10:25 PM
Oscar Robertson isn't listed as one of the top 10 ever if you aren't a guy obsessed with oldies. And yet you are talking about Kevin Durant?!

Even he wins multiple MVPs and multiple rings, he probably will not be counted as top 10. He isn't just that good. Simple as that.

Now... STFU OP.

It was merely an observation when surveying his talents. I don't know why useless, no-name posters like you get worked up over someone else's opinion. If you don't like the concept behind this thread, don't post in it. It's that simple.

pauk
11-16-2013, 10:36 PM
Depends on who you have #10 on your all-time list... if its lets say Lebron, then KD will need to get preferably more than 4 mvps, 2 rings, 2 fmvps to surpass him, not to mention same or better impact/peak...

Scholar
11-16-2013, 10:45 PM
Depends on who you have #10 on your all-time list... if its lets say Lebron, then KD will need to get preferably more than 4 mvps, 2 rings, 2 fmvps to surpass him, not to mention same or better impact/peak...

LeBron won't be top 10 by the end of his career. I see him in the top 5 by then. :confusedshrug:

All a matter of opinions, of course. It's hard to displace MJ, Magic, Bird, Wilt & Kareem.

pauk
11-16-2013, 10:49 PM
1-2 MVPS, 2 Rings+, 1FMVP+, some iconic games in the playoffs when his team needs him the most.

He will definitely need to do better than that, the top 10 right now is stacked with fiercely monumental players & accolades...

Ranks #7-#8-#9-#10 are fought right now between players who have up to 5 rings, 4 mvps, 3 fmvps (not to mention everything else) and were just plain better overall actual ball players than KD, maybe better than KD will ever be.... it will be... tough...

pauk
11-16-2013, 11:09 PM
LeBron won't be top 10 by the end of his career. I see him in the top 5 by then. :confusedshrug:

All a matter of opinions, of course. It's hard to displace MJ, Magic, Bird, Wilt & Kareem.

Well, Hakeem then? Maybe Kobe? Duncan? Shaq? Bar is still uber high to displace.... :)

iamgine
11-17-2013, 12:04 AM

That's too bad but unfortunately titles are needed.

Michael Jordan without any title would be career loser, selfish ballhog, chemistry killing choker.

SamuraiSWISH
11-17-2013, 12:09 AM
LeBron is already approaching top five status. Three peat, and then if he were to somehow lead Miami to four straight championships it would kind of be undeniable. And then if he somehow manages to win any more MVPs? What excuse would there be for him not to be top five all time? Even if he was a coward, and stacked the deck in Miami while in hi prime in order to win rings easily.

KobeClutchAsFK
11-17-2013, 02:27 AM
4+ rings. or at least 3+ with phenomenal stats

BallsOut
11-17-2013, 02:36 AM
LeBron is already approaching top five status. Three peat, and then if he were to somehow lead Miami to four straight championships it would kind of be undeniable. And then if he somehow manages to win any more MVPs? What excuse would there be for him not to be top five all time? Even if he was a coward, and stacked the deck in Miami while in hi prime in order to win rings easily.

Using your logic, why stop at top 5 status. He just needs 3 more MVPs to achieve top 1 status then :biggums:

RRR3
11-17-2013, 02:44 AM
That's too bad but unfortunately titles are needed.

Michael Jordan without any title would be career loser, selfish ballhog, chemistry killing choker.
:facepalm