PDA

View Full Version : Official PS4 reviews by ISH members!

CarlosBoozer
11-17-2013, 03:21 AM
Hello guys! I'm still planning to buy a ps4 or xbox one, but I want to hear some reviews from our very own members! So please give us (those who don't have it yet) a long/short review of the ps4! Please list the pros/cons and games you've tried already! Also wondering about the controller feel and the new dashboard! Thank you! :cheers:

jaydacris
11-17-2013, 04:18 AM
Hello guys! I'm still planning to buy a ps4 or xbox one, but I want to hear some reviews from our very own members! So please give us (those who don't have it yet) a long/short review of the ps4! Please list the pros/cons and games you've tried already! Also wondering about the controller feel and the new dashboard! Thank you! :cheers:
reserved
will post thorough review when ive spent more time with it

http://media.tumblr.com/9fcaff631874f18d37041cc842bb8973/tumblr_inline_mhb79gcEcX1qz4rgp.gif

Rose
11-17-2013, 01:12 PM
I love the UI and the controller. It's not as good as the 360 controller, but it's pretty close.

reserved for more stuff.

CelticBaller
11-17-2013, 02:41 PM
How big is the controller compared to the tiny ps3 one?

Rose
11-17-2013, 02:58 PM
How big is the controller compared to the tiny ps3 one?
Bigger.
http://cdn3.mos.techradar.futurecdn.net//art/games_consoles/PS4/ps4-controller-vs-ps3-controller/ps4-start-and-select-buttons-580-100.jpg

It's also heavier. Which is good. The grip on it also feels very very nice.

The Macho Man
11-17-2013, 10:04 PM

Where is my 3ds?

ballup
11-17-2013, 10:17 PM
Bigger.
http://cdn3.mos.techradar.futurecdn.net//art/games_consoles/PS4/ps4-controller-vs-ps3-controller/ps4-start-and-select-buttons-580-100.jpg

It's also heavier. Which is good. The grip on it also feels very very nice.
Looks uglier, but thank god it's heavier. I felt as if I could snap the PS3's controllers with a firm grip.

CarlosBoozer
11-17-2013, 10:20 PM
Where is my 3ds?
Get out!

Brujesino
11-17-2013, 10:21 PM
Get out!
Still waiting for mine.

Draz
11-17-2013, 10:41 PM
I like the ps4 controller better now. It's larger and fits my hands now. I have long fingers so its better this way. One reason why I favored Microsoft but now Sony made that change that god I might be ale to come back to Sony.

The Macho Man
11-17-2013, 10:53 PM
Get out!

It's christmas time!

outbreak
11-17-2013, 10:58 PM
everyone on ISH get a working PS4? A bunch of articles about high failure rates and bricked consoles, who knows though it looks like it may just be amazon not packaging properly.

Rose
11-18-2013, 12:39 AM
everyone on ISH get a working PS4? A bunch of articles about high failure rates and bricked consoles, who knows though it looks like it may just be amazon not packaging properly.
Mine's worked splendidly. Three of my friends who got day one consoles all got working ones. The only issue mine had is the first time I went to turn it off it froze.

outbreak
11-18-2013, 12:45 AM
Mine's worked splendidly. Three of my friends who got day one consoles all got working ones. The only issue mine had is the first time I went to turn it off it froze.

yeah I don't think it's a widespread issue considering that people who's work fine arent' as likely to post about it as people who's don't. Articles were also speculating most seem to be from amazon and even people who received working consoles from amazon were complaining about being poorly packaged.

Rose
11-18-2013, 01:30 AM
yeah I don't think it's a widespread issue considering that people who's work fine arent' as likely to post about it as people who's don't. Articles were also speculating most seem to be from amazon and even people who received working consoles from amazon were complaining about being poorly packaged.
Reminded me to give them a 5 star review. Mine was packaged fairly well, I wish they would have done a layer of bubble pillows, or whatever you want to call them, underneath the box of the console but...it was done well. however I saw the ups guy kick the box in the truck. I was less than pleased.

Sony said it's .4% of the consoles.

TheReal Kendall
11-18-2013, 03:23 AM
Reminded me to give them a 5 star review. Mine was packaged fairly well, I wish they would have done a layer of bubble pillows, or whatever you want to call them, underneath the box of the console but...it was done well. however I saw the ups guy kick the box in the truck. I was less than pleased.

Damn! I would've said something to my ups guy if he was kicking my box

glidedrxlr22
11-18-2013, 01:53 PM
I like the design of the ps4 and it's pretty easy to set up. You'll get used to the new dashboard layout. The controller feels great, but I never had any comfort problems with any of the other controllers....ps3 or xbox360. Having Playstation Plus is pretty nice.....free games and dlc discounts....u can't beat that. The only negative so far is that it seems there are mic/headset issues that will be fixed with updates. I was going nuts trying to get my headphones to work on Battlefield 4, but it was a no go. Bluetooth doesn't work yet from what I've heard.

outbreak
11-18-2013, 04:45 PM

Some sites I was on say that .4% quote was released a day before launch and was just about production, others say it was from yesterday so who knows. I've also heard of a few overheating but likely it's due to people putting them in stupid places. I'm still undecided which way I'll go this generation, xbox has more exclusives I want but just trying to weigh up if I'll actually play them as I play far less games now then I used to.

Rose
11-18-2013, 06:48 PM
Some sites I was on say that .4% quote was released a day before launch and was just about production, others say it was from yesterday so who knows. I've also heard of a few overheating but likely it's due to people putting them in stupid places. I'm still undecided which way I'll go this generation, xbox has more exclusives I want but just trying to weigh up if I'll actually play them as I play far less games now then I used to.
Yeah, I mean we won't know the real number for a while. Just like with RROD/YLOD we didn't find out till years after the launch. Just wait awhile. Don't make a decision you'll regret. Plus if you wait till next year you'll find a deal on one sometime.

As for the overheating thing you have to be stupid about it. I think I ran mine for 8ish hours the first day just because I wanted to be able to play later when I was ready to play again and didn't want to have to fight with PSN.:lol And it's not like it feels hot or anything at all during it's run time.

Brujesino
11-18-2013, 06:52 PM
With the Xbox 360, most deaths were attributed to thermal failure, probably caused by overheating over a few days or weeks of play. The broken PS4s, on the other hand, seem to be dead out of the box. People are plugging in their PS4 for the first time and being greeted by a blank TV (no video output) and a blinking blue light bar of death (BBLOD, video above). In some cases, the BBLOD combined with no video/sound output only appears after the PS4 has been booted a few times. There are some reports that the PS4 broke soon after updating the firmware to version 1.5. There have been some cases of the PS4 overheating (a red light bar), but the vast majority of broken PS4s seem to be DOA.

sonys fault
[QUOTE] It

outbreak
11-18-2013, 07:35 PM
sonys fault

i guess that good news

can anyone find more info on when this 0.4% comment was made? Some articles I read mention it was given in answer to the pre release consoles reviewers got not working (forbes, IGN and some others all got dead consoles/consoles that died after a short time) but other articles are using it in relation to the failures now. Issues at launch are accepted these days (even if it's crazy) but if Sony make people wait until Feb to get a replacement console that's a bit out of hand.

Rose
11-18-2013, 08:15 PM
can anyone find more info on when this 0.4% comment was made? Some articles I read mention it was given in answer to the pre release consoles reviewers got not working (forbes, IGN and some others all got dead consoles/consoles that died after a short time) but other articles are using it in relation to the failures now. Issues at launch are accepted these days (even if it's crazy) but if Sony make people wait until Feb to get a replacement console that's a bit out of hand.
It was definitely before the launch date. Because I remember stressing out Thursday night/Friday morning about being in the .4%.

From everything I've read though Sony ships you the box to return it, and you get one back a few days later. Which isn't terrible.

outbreak
11-18-2013, 08:18 PM
It was definitely before the launch date. Because I remember stressing out Thursday night/Friday morning about being in the .4%.

From everything I've read though Sony ships you the box to return it, and you get one back a few days later. Which isn't terrible.

amazon reviews and forbes were saying people are now being told February or a refund.

ihoopallday
11-19-2013, 02:33 AM
Damn! I would've said something to my ups guy if he was kicking my box

I used to be a package handler at UPS in high school a few years ago. Anyways, hate to say it but a lot of the packages are treated very poorly. The company has such a quick loading quota so boxes are loaded very poorly. Especially now that it's holiday season. The volume is probably 30,000+ packages each shift. Only packages we gave a shit about were HAZMATS. Everything else, not so much. :(

outbreak
11-19-2013, 06:27 PM
I used to be a package handler at UPS in high school a few years ago. Anyways, hate to say it but a lot of the packages are treated very poorly. The company has such a quick loading quota so boxes are loaded very poorly. Especially now that it's holiday season. The volume is probably 30,000+ packages each shift. Only packages we gave a shit about were HAZMATS. Everything else, not so much. :(

read an article the other day which had questions asked to anonymous delivery guys, they all seemed to think if your sending a package and want it to get their safe you should either print out a fake label saying urine/human waste or have a kid draw pictures all over it and make it look like a gift from a child. They said they treat fragile stickers the same as every other box as like 80% of packages are marked fragile when they aren't and too many things are marked fragile anyway.

TheReal Kendall
11-19-2013, 07:34 PM

Yeah I know. I worked with UPS a few years back.

I didn't kick or mishandle anyone's boxes so just because the volume is high doesn't mean you treat people stuff like crap.

But it's rough around this time of year

Rose
11-19-2013, 08:08 PM
amazon reviews and forbes were saying people are now being told February or a refund.
Sony says failure rate is less than 1 percent (http://kotaku.com/ps4-failure-rate-is-less-than-1-sony-says-1467673544)

Also I'm just saying what people on reddit have. There's been a ton of people saying they'll get it within at worst 2 weeks. I know when I asked about swapping my controller they told me if I swapped my console too it would take roughly 10-14 days.

magnax1
11-19-2013, 09:21 PM
Hows the touch pad, and whats it used for? Is it used in the UI?

Rose
11-19-2013, 10:20 PM
Hows the touch pad, and whats it used for? Is it used in the UI?
It's great once you get used too it. What I mean by that is it's weird going from pressing the PS button in the middle of the console to it being lower, and the start button being the options button which is higher up on the right. The first two days I hit the touchpad a lot going for either of those.:lol It's highly responsive, very clickable, doesn't seem to get stuck and probably won't. You won't ever hit it by accident once you adjust to the options button being where it is. And I guess the share button being where that is as well.

In killzone it's used for your owl and you swipe it to tell it where to go and what to do.

in battlefield it brings up battlelog and that's it basically.

in AC4 you can use it to bring up the map and then scroll around on the map using the touchpad. I prefer the thumbstick for scrolling around the map though.

in the UI I think it serves no function, but I haven't tried it there.

Rose
11-19-2013, 10:31 PM
One thing that I will say is absolutely horrible about the controller is how the light bar can be used for showing health. It's fine in killzone because it changes from green-yellow-red. Completely fine with that. But in Warframe it flashes and I feel like I'm gonna have a seizure. And I don't mean like a minor flash, I'm talking a constant flash for a prolonged period of time. Hopefully no one else does that.

CarlosBoozer
11-20-2013, 12:06 PM
Thanks for all the feedback guys! Been reading this thread as of late, lot's of useful information!

TheReal Kendall
11-20-2013, 06:40 PM
It's great once you get used too it. What I mean by that is it's weird going from pressing the PS button in the middle of the console to it being lower, and the start button being the options button which is higher up on the right. The first two days I hit the touchpad a lot going for either of those.:lol It's highly responsive, very clickable, doesn't seem to get stuck and probably won't. You won't ever hit it by accident once you adjust to the options button being where it is. And I guess the share button being where that is as well.

In killzone it's used for your owl and you swipe it to tell it where to go and what to do.

in battlefield it brings up battlelog and that's it basically.

in AC4 you can use it to bring up the map and then scroll around on the map using the touchpad. I prefer the thumbstick for scrolling around the map though.

in the UI I think it serves no function, but I haven't tried it there.

How is Killzone? I'm thinking about getting it when I get my PS4.

Is it better than BF4? Never played a Killzone game

Rose
11-20-2013, 06:41 PM
How is Killzone? I'm thinking about getting it when I get my PS4.

Is it better than BF4? Never played a Killzone game
It's bad. Avoid it like the plague.

BF4 is better despite it's flaws.

Ai2death
11-20-2013, 07:07 PM
Haven't played killzone since the first, I thought this one was suppose to be saweeetttt?

Why's it so horrible in your opinion?

TheReal Kendall
11-20-2013, 07:18 PM
It's bad. Avoid it like the plague.

BF4 is better despite it's flaws.

Why is it bad?

I've heard so many good things about the previous versions

Draz
11-20-2013, 10:03 PM
I got a PS3 after an XBOX only for Killzone 3. I loved it, the clunky controls were hesitant to get used too. Once you get used to it, you should like it. It's more of a if you're bored hop on and kill time type of game. I don't think it would be terrible for PS4 especially since I heard the heavy player / controller like movement isn't as bad as the previous Killzone.

Rose
11-20-2013, 10:35 PM
Why is it bad?

I've heard so many good things about the previous versions
It has a lot of flaws.

-there's not really any good maps. I've played on all of them multiple times. I like one of them.
-The game modes are all weak.
-Your character is slow, not necessarily bad but on a lot of the maps you could go out run for 20 seconds and get killed and have to do it all over again which leads too...
-The servers aren't balanced by player level or skill. I'm probably below average at the game besides the snipers warzone thing. I'm good at that one. I'm in the 40s or so level wise, and constantly playing against people in the 100s now. So not only do they have a better feel for the game/are plainly better at it. They also have better weaponry.
-The objective based warzones either rotate the objective in a game IE you go from protecting a generator to playing TDM to playing a capture the flag type mode all in the same lobby.
-And nobody really plays the objective. I love objective based games. That's my shit. But I have yet to be on a team with randoms that actually play the objective. They want to play TDM, I realize it's a common complaint anyway amongst games but I think I've only won 2 games that aren't TDM based in 5-6 hours played. *
-Matchmaking takes a long ass time until you get into a lobby. At which point it's faster loading the new maps/game types but you could be playing 5-2 until you get three new teammates. So you get slaughtered for a while. After you get that first game though and then you back out it reduces the load time a lot. I have no idea why it's that way though.

-Campaign is somewhat interesting but the controls for the owl (the droid that follows you around) are a bit wonky. Sometimes he hacks what I want him to instantly...sometimes I spend five minutes trying to get it to do what I want.

-Campaign has horrible pacing.

* I think and hope since 12 player TDM has been added this has changed but I doubt it.

jaydacris
11-21-2013, 12:09 AM
;)

TheReal Kendall
11-21-2013, 01:13 AM
It has a lot of flaws.

-there's not really any good maps. I've played on all of them multiple times. I like one of them.
-The game modes are all weak.
-Your character is slow, not necessarily bad but on a lot of the maps you could go out run for 20 seconds and get killed and have to do it all over again which leads too...
-The servers aren't balanced by player level or skill. I'm probably below average at the game besides the snipers warzone thing. I'm good at that one. I'm in the 40s or so level wise, and constantly playing against people in the 100s now. So not only do they have a better feel for the game/are plainly better at it. They also have better weaponry.
-The objective based warzones either rotate the objective in a game IE you go from protecting a generator to playing TDM to playing a capture the flag type mode all in the same lobby.
-And nobody really plays the objective. I love objective based games. That's my shit. But I have yet to be on a team with randoms that actually play the objective. They want to play TDM, I realize it's a common complaint anyway amongst games but I think I've only won 2 games that aren't TDM based in 5-6 hours played. *
-Matchmaking takes a long ass time until you get into a lobby. At which point it's faster loading the new maps/game types but you could be playing 5-2 until you get three new teammates. So you get slaughtered for a while. After you get that first game though and then you back out it reduces the load time a lot. I have no idea why it's that way though.

-Campaign is somewhat interesting but the controls for the owl (the droid that follows you around) are a bit wonky. Sometimes he hacks what I want him to instantly...sometimes I spend five minutes trying to get it to do what I want.

-Campaign has horrible pacing.

* I think and hope since 12 player TDM has been added this has changed but I doubt it.

Dang!

Well I guess I'll get 2k or BF4 then

TheMarkMadsen
11-21-2013, 07:23 PM
been playin 2k on the ps4 since it's release..

amazing game, there are still some clipping issues with the jerseys but other than that it's visually flawless. Game plays better than it did on last gen.

Myplayer is incredible, so in depth and really makes you feel like you're an actual NBA rookie trying to earn his spot.

Seriously, i've never been a big myplayer fan before but this year it just so addicting.

Heavincent
11-21-2013, 08:44 PM
Killzone is the best FPS I've played in quite a while. The screen shots and videos online don't do it justice. It looks fvcking amazing on my 1080p LED.

Al Thornton
11-21-2013, 09:45 PM
if u play a lot of 2k get one or a xb1 for that 2k14. it's fantastic