PDA

View Full Version : Fact: Indiana badly needs a PG!

tamaraw08
11-18-2013, 07:43 PM
Yes, they are 9-1 but come playoff time esp vs Miami, provided they squeak past the Bulls, they will be exposed again but a lack of true PG.
Game 7 vs the Heat, when it mattered most, their fake PG George Hill couldn't set up the offense and was obliterated by the end of 2nd quarter(they scored a measly 16 pts, 18pts in the 3rd). His stats that game?
1 assist and 2 turnovers in 37 mins.:facepalm
Hill NEVER averaged more than 4.8 assists/game, his career best last year was4.7 at 1.5 turnovers at 34 mins/game. Infact, he never ave more than 3 assists/game his first 4 years.
To make matters worst, they ACQUIRED another scoring guard impersonating as a true PG in CJ Watson. :eek:
I strongly feel Indiana messed up in not trying to acquire Rajon Rondo in the summer when Boston was clearing cap space.
I just don't see this team scoring enough when playoff teams start pressing them either full or half court, how can they set up their prolific frontline without a player who can dish them entry passes.
All is not lost though but they must move and select a good one before the trading deadline.
Steve Blake has been ave 11 dimes the past 6 games.
Jarret Jack has been struggling this year but I think hell do well with Indiana esp with what he did the past 2 seasons.
Andre Miller is very smart and good basics.

#number6ix#
11-18-2013, 07:47 PM
They should tried to get Livingston... Their starting 5 would've been huge

outbreak
11-18-2013, 07:49 PM
first round pick for jameer (as much as I hate letting him go we need to)

DStebb716
11-18-2013, 07:50 PM
first round pick for jameer (as much as I hate letting him go we need to)

Nelson isn't better than Hill.

Eric Cartman
11-18-2013, 07:50 PM
They should tried to get Livingston... Their starting 5 would've been huge

CJ Watson is a decent backup. What the OP means I assume is someone in place of George Hill that has trouble getting the ball up the court with Miami's swarming defense.

FKAri
11-18-2013, 07:52 PM
They should definitely try to make a deal for budding all star Steve Blake.

JimmyMcAdocious
11-18-2013, 08:02 PM
Rondo would be a ridiculous fit on this team. Celtics should give him away for peanuts to spite the Heat.

KOBEtherealKing
11-18-2013, 08:38 PM
No they need to let Paul George be pg like Kobe is to the lakers. Hill needs to be like fisher and score when open or move off the ball.

CelticBaller
11-18-2013, 08:46 PM
Rondo in the Pacers would be lethal, but what would we get back?

b1imtf
11-18-2013, 08:47 PM
I'd be happy with expirers.. I love Rondo but it's time to part ways..

nathanjizzle
11-18-2013, 08:59 PM
rondo :bowdown:

granger for rondo

Haymaker
11-18-2013, 08:59 PM
Rondo would be a ridiculous fit on this team. Celtics should give him away for peanuts to spite the Heat.

This :oldlol:

Haymaker
11-18-2013, 09:00 PM

Hill + Granger?

Mr. Incredible
11-18-2013, 09:00 PM
Indiana with Rondo still wouldn't beat Miami.

nathanjizzle
11-18-2013, 09:05 PM
:biggums:

CelticBaller
11-18-2013, 09:07 PM
:lol

Meticode
11-18-2013, 09:09 PM
Rondo+Wallace for Hill+Granger

CelticBaller
11-18-2013, 09:12 PM
I'd be happy with expirers.. I love Rondo but it's time to part ways..
I kinda want to keep Rondo incase we get Wiggins, imagine a fast break of Rondo Bradley and Wiggins :D

I'll would like for him to be a Celtic forever, but I also want him to win another ring.

I'm conflicted :(

b1imtf
11-18-2013, 09:27 PM
I kinda want to keep Rondo incase we get Wiggins, imagine a fast break of Rondo Bradley and Wiggins :D

I'll would like for him to be a Celtic forever, but I also want him to win another ring.

I'm conflicted :(
I wouldn't mind him staying but his influence can only hurt us come draft time.. Yes, this sounds really loser-like, but with the talent in this draft, losing is something that must be done in order to avoid mediocrity for another 20 years

Spaulding
11-18-2013, 09:36 PM
Rondo+Wallace for Hill+Granger

More like hill Granger and a pick for rondo. He's a franchise player.

sc19
11-18-2013, 09:47 PM
Rondo would eventually run Paul George and Hilbert out of Indiana. Only anti-Pacers would want that to happen.

Meticode
11-18-2013, 09:54 PM
More like hill Granger and a pick for rondo. He's a franchise player.
Disagree with the franchise player tag.

CelticBaller
11-18-2013, 10:00 PM
Rondo would eventually run Paul George and Hilbert out of Indiana. Only anti-Pacers would want that to happen.
He didn't run out Pierce or KG, or Shaq,or Nate, or Perkins or...

Matter of fact, many Celtics have loved playing with Rondo. GTFO dumbass :facepalm

jaydacris
11-18-2013, 10:01 PM
Lowry and unlimited maple syrup for George

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
11-18-2013, 10:45 PM
Nash for free... Keep him on shelf till march and then get him to contribure for playoffs

Indy's defense is the only 1 where u can hide nash lol

livingby3's
11-18-2013, 11:16 PM
Nash for free... Keep him on shelf till march and then get him to contribure for playoffs

Indy's defense is the only 1 where u can hide nash lol

With all due respect to Suns' legend Steve Nash, he shouldn't be starting in this league anymore

CelticBaller
11-18-2013, 11:17 PM
With all due respect to Suns' legend Steve Nash, he shouldn't be this league anymore
fixed

PacerRaptor
11-18-2013, 11:57 PM
Hill for Lowry would be nice (their contracts are similar)

Or

Granger + 1st for Rondo - however, Indy has made it clear they won't go over the cap (will Rondo be that exception?) also, Indy is keep on 'good character' guys...does Rondo fit that?

Spaulding
11-19-2013, 12:06 AM
Disagree with the franchise player tag.

You don't think he was franchise worthy after 2008? Piece and Garnett basically handed the team over to him. Recently Rondos injuries has made him forgotten. He's a better PG than Rose. Arguably top 3 PG when active.

All Net
11-19-2013, 02:18 AM
PG wasn't their issue, blowing game 1 was a big difference maker. Alot of their mistakes were mental. Stuff you improve on with experience.

Al Thornton
11-19-2013, 02:20 AM
ur dumb

BallsOut
11-19-2013, 02:25 AM
Lakers will give you Steve Nash and Sean Williams for Danny Granger.

longtime lurker
11-19-2013, 02:46 AM
Just run the offense through Paul George. Run it through George or post up Hibbert.

Dro
11-19-2013, 03:15 AM
The Pacers don't need a point guard.

kNIOKAS
11-19-2013, 03:53 AM
Another team that cries for PG is Jazz. They are stinking up in assists column (together with Raptors, since when Raptors can afford to play individual ball?), and their main point guards just don't dish out any assists at all!

D. Garret - 3,3 ASP, 17 mins a game
A. Burks - 2,6 ASP, 28 mins a game
John Lucas III - 1.8 ASP, 24 mins a game.

Their leading distributor is Hayward with 4,4 ASP yet he plays 37 mins a game and is a SG/SF.

Yikes. I hope John Lucas picks up because he's ruining my fantasy chances.

salwan
11-19-2013, 06:13 AM
Rondo on this pacers team would be droolworthy. So much toughness, length and defense.

Clifton
11-19-2013, 07:55 AM
The Pacers don't need a point guard.

PG wasn't their issue, blowing game 1 was a big difference maker. Alot of their mistakes were mental. Stuff you improve on with experience.
Nobody ever lost a series because they lost the first game. The Pacers lost that series because they couldn't hold onto the ball and Miami, a team that is essentially inept offensively in the halfcourt in the postseason against any half-decent defense as long as Wade is on the floor, got out into transition and got into rhythm. There's no way they win that series any other way. This is far from a flawless roster.

It was specifically George Hill who cost them that series. I remember it well. Everyone was coughing it up of course, but the problem was they had no PG to pass it to.

Rondo would be perfect for this roster. There aren't really any great on-ball players for him to take away from. It would just be pick and pop with West, feeding Hibbert in the post, hitting George on the wing, finding open shooters.

It'd be nice if they could hold onto Hill to space the floor, though.

pmj
11-19-2013, 08:49 AM
Hill really is awful on the Pacers. He got outplayed by Chalmers, which should say enough.
His only skill is as a wide open shooter; he can't drive, penetrate, run, pass, shoot off the dribble, defend, etc. I don't know what people see in him at all. The team will really be limited by having all those bigs but no one creating for them IMO. And of course they'll still be good, but not what they could be.

kshutts1
11-19-2013, 08:55 AM
Can someone please explain to me how a PG that can't shoot (Rondo) would be a perfect fit on a team that is not a strong shooting team?

I think the reasoning that some people use is more... Oh, Indiana's a defensive team. Therefore, the best defensive PG in the league is a great fit!

False.

And Indiana doesn't really need a PG. George and Stephenson can create for themselves and others, so you don't really need a third person to do it. Hill is a solid defender, rebounder, and shooter. He is a better PG for that team than Rondo would be.

kshutts1
11-19-2013, 08:56 AM
Another team that cries for PG is Jazz. They are stinking up in assists column (together with Raptors, since when Raptors can afford to play individual ball?), and their main point guards just don't dish out any assists at all!

D. Garret - 3,3 ASP, 17 mins a game
A. Burks - 2,6 ASP, 28 mins a game
John Lucas III - 1.8 ASP, 24 mins a game.

Their leading distributor is Hayward with 4,4 ASP yet he plays 37 mins a game and is a SG/SF.

Yikes. I hope John Lucas picks up because he's ruining my fantasy chances.
Trey Burke is hurt. He's supposed to be their "PG of the future". I can't worry about that position for them until he comes back and plays for at least a year.

11-19-2013, 09:02 AM
George, Hibbert and a first rounder for Steve Blake. I'm not sure as a Laker fan if I'd do it but I'd be tempted. Neither George or Hibbert are proven superstars at this point.

poido123
11-19-2013, 09:17 AM
Can someone please explain to me how a PG that can't shoot (Rondo) would be a perfect fit on a team that is not a strong shooting team?

I think the reasoning that some people use is more... Oh, Indiana's a defensive team. Therefore, the best defensive PG in the league is a great fit!

False.

And Indiana doesn't really need a PG. George and Stephenson can create for themselves and others, so you don't really need a third person to do it. Hill is a solid defender, rebounder, and shooter. He is a better PG for that team than Rondo would be.

kshutts1
11-19-2013, 09:26 AM
Chalmers and Cole are not real, or at least good, PGs. They can defend and hit shots. IT works because Lebron and Wade create for others. And Bosh should be doubled.

Hill can also defend and hit shots. It works because Stephenson and George can create for others. And West/Hibbert should be doubled in the post.

Edit: Jordan and Pippen could create for others. Ron Harper/STeve Kerr/John Paxson were not real PGs. Just guys that could defend or make shots. It worked.

If Indiana needs a PG, then so, too, do the 2x defending Champs.

poido123
11-19-2013, 09:42 AM
Chalmers and Cole are not real, or at least good, PGs. They can defend and hit shots. IT works because Lebron and Wade create for others. And Bosh should be doubled.

Hill can also defend and hit shots. It works because Stephenson and George can create for others. And West/Hibbert should be doubled in the post.

Edit: Jordan and Pippen could create for others. Ron Harper/STeve Kerr/John Paxson were not real PGs. Just guys that could defend or make shots. It worked.

If Indiana needs a PG, then so, too, do the 2x defending Champs.

I edited my post as I went to crucify your response but then realised you were a Bulls fan :oldlol: :D

I have to disagree with you on Rondo on the Pacers. Rondo on the Pacers would make them so much better than Pacers with Hill. Rondo's creativity and speed would create space for George to go ham and Hibbert to find open dunks off Rondo's penetration. Rondo's leadership would help take the load off George a bit, but also give them that added toughness, making their defense even more formidable than before.

They would be a bit like Memphis Grizzlies on steroids who also match up really well with Miami.

kshutts1
11-19-2013, 09:51 AM
YOu may crucify me if you wish. But Memphis is not really a threat to win the title unless they add 3p shooting.

Replacing Hill with Rondo takes away from Indiana's biggest weakness. Hardly a recipe for success. They took Miami to 7 games last year, and that was before Lance and Paul really got into their own; both are quite a bit better this year.

imdaman99
11-19-2013, 10:35 AM
There was no 2 game winning streak in that series. Pacers need someone that does great against the Heat. Sure Rondo sounds good...but Celtics are giving him away? For Granger??????

tamaraw08
11-19-2013, 11:01 AM
Nobody ever lost a series because they lost the first game. The Pacers lost that series because they couldn't hold onto the ball and Miami, a team that is essentially inept offensively in the halfcourt in the postseason against any half-decent defense as long as Wade is on the floor, got out into transition and got into rhythm. There's no way they win that series any other way. This is far from a flawless roster.

It was specifically George Hill who cost them that series. I remember it well. Everyone was coughing it up of course, but the problem was they had no PG to pass it to.

Rondo would be perfect for this roster. There aren't really any great on-ball players for him to take away from. It would just be pick and pop with West, feeding Hibbert in the post, hitting George on the wing, finding open shooters.

Good post overall. But note that I never said Hill is a bad player, I just implied that he is not a true PG. But Im not sure too if Rondo is actually healthy enough to play great this year but definitely they need a smart solid court general.

tamaraw08
11-19-2013, 11:04 AM
There was no 2 game winning streak in that series. Pacers need someone that does great against the Heat. Sure Rondo sounds good...but Celtics are giving him away? For Granger??????

Boston gave away 3 of their top 4 players in the past 2 years. It's obvious to me that they want to start over. Indiana should be creative enought to involve a 3rd team to give away picks. Teams who might like to take a scorer like Granger like Bobcats, Utah, Atlanta etc.

tamaraw08
11-19-2013, 11:07 AM
They should definitely try to make a deal for budding all star Steve Blake.
Not sure about the term "budding allstar" but Blake IMO is adequate and a very nice fit.

I<3NBA
11-19-2013, 11:13 AM
should have tried for Jeremy Lin.

BlackWhiteGreen
11-19-2013, 01:04 PM
Boston gave away 3 of their top 4 players in the past 2 years. It's obvious to me that they want to start over. Indiana should be creative enought to involve a 3rd team to give away picks. Teams who might like to take a scorer like Granger like Bobcats, Utah, Atlanta etc.

"Gave away"? You mean how they lost Allen so he could ringchase and then traded Pierce and KG and got a decent enough deal (ie 3 unprotected picks including one when 4 of the 6 best Nets players will be retired/almost retired). All 3 of those players were 35+ as well, Rondo is 27

TimmyDuncan
11-19-2013, 02:34 PM

I don't think so.
They play a lot in the post with Hibbert and West so they need outside shooting for spacing
Rondo don't give you that

Rondo was a good fit with the big 3 because Allen, Pierce and Garnett are great shooters and they didn't had as much play in the post than Indiana. So spacing was not an issue

CelticBaller
11-19-2013, 02:38 PM
I don't think so.
They play a lot in the post with Hibbert and West so they need outside shooting for spacing
Rondo don't give you that

Rondo was a good fit with the big 3 because Allen, Pierce and Garnett are great shooters and they didn't had as much play in the post than Indiana. So spacing was not an issue
Pacers have shooters in Stephenson and George, having a ball handler like Rondo would benefit their fatsbreak and Rondo is capable of setting up player in the post. Players like Shaq, Perkins and Big Baby all benefitted from playing with Rondo.

Also imagine the Pick and Rolls with West/Hibbert!

ballup
11-19-2013, 02:45 PM
I hope you didn't just recently realize this OP.

qrich
11-19-2013, 02:48 PM
Kings might be sick of Vasquez already, get em!

I'm real surprised though that the Pacers didn't go after Mo Williams during the offseason. A true vet, that could space the floor and handle the rock. Also would not complain to being a guy off the bench if the Pacers were adamant on starting on Hill.

When Wayns returns, you could also have Collison back. We'll throw in your choice of Mullens/Jamison/Hollins for Scola as well :D

Dro
11-19-2013, 05:28 PM

Not that I don't agree with this but the Pacers could USE Rondo. Rondo would be great for the Pacers. However, I still don't think we NEED a PG to beat Miami. I think we needed to upgrade our bench which was the main issue and we did that. I'm fine with Hill and I like his ability to score and shoot the 3.

Dro
11-19-2013, 05:35 PM
Pacers have shooters in Stephenson and George, having a ball handler like Rondo would benefit their fatsbreak and Rondo is capable of setting up player in the post. Players like Shaq, Perkins and Big Baby all benefitted from playing with Rondo.

Also imagine the Pick and Rolls with West/Hibbert!
Rondo would improve their transition game tremendously, I agree with you. But he would hurt the post game. If Rondo is making the entry pass, his defender will just sag back and prevent the pass from going in the post. His lack of shooting is killer for a team that already plays a slow pace. They would still play a slow pace with Rondo, the only difference would be that Rondo would push it when he gets a chance but thats what Lance does now. He has been given the green light to really push the tempo and him and George Hill have both been getting out in transition a lot more this year because Hill is capable of doing that and he would probably prefer it. We just can't do it all the time because have to keep West, Scola, and Hibbert involved in the game. Plus, I think people are really overlooking the team chemistry. The Pacers have some of the best chemistry in the league and there is no need for them to mess with it. I can see if they were bad the last couple of years and did not take Miami to 6 and 7 games respectively but thats not the case. They are already off to a strong start, playing with the utmost confidence and have improved the areas that they needed to by improving the bench and Lance and Paul George have gotten better. I prefer to let this season play out.

riseagainst
11-19-2013, 05:38 PM
who needs a PG when you got P.G.?!

InspiredLebowski
11-20-2013, 01:42 AM
The massive overvaluation of passing points, PGs period, continues.

Quoting APG for PGs? Seriously? SERIOUSLY?! End counting stats. Stop even listing them. My ****ing head hurts.

andremiller07
11-20-2013, 07:44 AM
Kings might be sick of Vasquez already, get em!

I'm real surprised though that the Pacers didn't go after Mo Williams during the offseason. A true vet, that could space the floor and handle the rock. Also would not complain to being a guy off the bench if the Pacers were adamant on starting on Hill.

When Wayns returns, you could also have Collison back. We'll throw in your choice of Mullens/Jamison/Hollins for Scola as well :D
Kings fans are sick of Vasquez (well me anyway) if we could do a Marcus Thornton + Vasques for George Hill + filler to make it work I'm all for it. But I doubt Indiana will they got Orlando Johnson already as a undersized 2 and I doubt they would do a Hill for Vasquez swap anyway.

Edit
Vasquez+Thornton for Hill and Johnson works

tamaraw08
11-21-2013, 10:54 AM
Rondo would improve their transition game tremendously, I agree with you. But he would hurt the post game. If Rondo is making the entry pass, his defender will just sag back and prevent the pass from going in the post. His lack of shooting is killer for a team that already plays a slow pace. They would still play a slow pace with Rondo, the only difference would be that Rondo would push it when he gets a chance but thats what Lance does now. He has been given the green light to really push the tempo and him and George Hill have both been getting out in transition a lot more this year because Hill is capable of doing that and he would probably prefer it. We just can't do it all the time because have to keep West, Scola, and Hibbert involved in the game. Plus, I think people are really overlooking the team chemistry. The Pacers have some of the best chemistry in the league and there is no need for them to mess with it. I can see if they were bad the last couple of years and did not take Miami to 6 and 7 games respectively but thats not the case. They are already off to a strong start, playing with the utmost confidence and have improved the areas that they needed to by improving the bench and Lance and Paul George have gotten better. I prefer to let this season play out.
Rondo's lack of range would be a problem if Indiana has a dumb coach(which is not the case) IMO. It didnt affect Boston for several years...
Rajon can bring other important things that George HillI(who IMO is an undersized 2-never ave more than 4.8 assists in his career) is not good at.
1. He is can create scoring opportunities more via dribble drives either finishing strong or hand offs, putting more pressure on the opposing team's PG.
2. He plays better defense IMO.
3. He can read the defense better and dictate appropriate tempo.
Yes, Indiana has GREAT chemistry and would probably beat up the bottom 20 teams in the league but my question is are they strong ENOUGH to beat teams with superstars that ALSO have great chemistry?
Bulls with Rose before he got hurt, Indiana team with Reggie Miller has great chemistry, so did Sac Kings in the early 2000, or Portland in the mid 90's, but what happened to them?:confusedshrug: THey ran into teams with more talent with EQUALLY great chemistry.
Indiana won't need a true PG if they have MJ or Kobe or Scottie, heck even a "Point forward" like Grant Hill, Billy Owens, Paul Pressey etc. but the problem is Lance and Paul are not great ball handlers, thier strongest assets are grit and athletism.
For the sake of argument you are right about Rondo's lack of range, there are other PG's that can take care of the ball and deliver proper entry passES.
Steve Blake has a CAREER 40% from the 3pt area and can really dish out dimes and good court vision.