PDA

View Full Version : 20 Reasons Why the NBA Was Better in the '90s

diamenz
11-18-2013, 09:02 PM
http://www.complex.com/sports/2013/05/20-reasons-why-the-nba-was-better-in-the-90s/

kNicKz
11-18-2013, 09:13 PM
http://ballerball.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/jordanewing.jpg

STATUTORY
11-18-2013, 09:15 PM
classic rosy rememberance, half of the teams were just unwatchable back then. the talent per team is much higher now

CelticBaller
11-18-2013, 09:17 PM
http://ballerball.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/jordanewing.jpg
Ewing :(

SHAQisGOAT
11-18-2013, 09:56 PM
80s>> doe

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
11-18-2013, 10:01 PM
Two reasons:

1.) Jordan
2.) REAL centers - DRob/Ewing/Shaq/Mourning/Hakeem/Mutumbo all battling = epic

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
11-18-2013, 10:01 PM
My reasons:

- The GOAT #23
- Best mix of athleticism, and skill (team & individual)
- Actual QUALITY centers
- Post Play
- Team Play
- Physicality
- NBA on NBC
- Intense Rivalries
- Best Sneakers (late 90s)
- No entitled puzzies allowed

:cheers:

coin24
11-18-2013, 10:07 PM
My reasons:

- The GOAT #23
- Best mix of athleticism, and skill (team & individual)
- Actual QUALITY centers
- Post Play
- Team Play
- Physicality
- NBA on NBC
- Intense Rivalries
- Best Sneakers (late 90s)
- No entitled puzzies allowed

:applause: :applause:

RoundMoundOfReb
11-18-2013, 10:09 PM
Bunch of nostalgic people in this thread.

kamil
11-18-2013, 10:10 PM
That list is spot on.

A few more reasons:
- NBA Inside Stuff with Ahmad Rashad was REALLY entertaining
- NBA Commercials we're awesome
- Lots of basketball oriented movies were out (celtic pride, white men cant jump, blue chips, he got game, etc)

get these NETS
11-18-2013, 10:11 PM
no zone defenses to protect star players from having to actually play man to man defense

#number6ix#
11-18-2013, 10:11 PM
http://cdnl.complex.com/mp/620/400/80/0/bb/1/ffffff/612659997f6077fa0c5e701e7835f78b/images_/assets/CHANNEL_IMAGES/SPORTS/2013/05/20-reasons-why-the-nba-was-better-in-the-90s/ygofo_rivalry_572521.jpg
my niqqa zo!!!!!

leMVP
11-18-2013, 10:13 PM
http://cdn.tss.uproxx.com/TSS/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/lebron-cheesin-600x450.jpg

The only reason this Era may end up better than the 90s.

kamil
11-18-2013, 10:16 PM
http://cdn.tss.uproxx.com/TSS/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/lebron-cheesin-600x450.jpg

The only reason this Era may end up better than the 90s.

Not sure if trolling or serious but, I'll take the bait.

LeShortcut is a contributing factor to a shitty era.

TheReal Kendall
11-18-2013, 10:18 PM
http://www.complex.com/sports/2013/05/20-reasons-why-the-nba-was-better-in-the-90s/

:bowdown:

JellyBean
11-18-2013, 10:25 PM
The 80s NBA was better. They had well rounded teams, better rivalries, and team play. The 90s NBA gave way to the individual player. I mean watching teams like the Pistons and Bucks rise up in the 80s was awesome. The Pistons taking on Bird and the Celtics in their prime, as well as the Lakers with their stacked squad. The 80s NBA was better.

SamuraiSWISH
11-18-2013, 10:40 PM
http://cdnl.complex.com/mp/620/400/80/0/bb/1/ffffff/612659997f6077fa0c5e701e7835f78b/images_/assets/CHANNEL_IMAGES/SPORTS/2013/05/20-reasons-why-the-nba-was-better-in-the-90s/ygofo_rivalry_572521.jpg
my niqqa zo!!!!!
Dat midget Jeff Van Gundy doe

:oldlol:

Jameerthefear
11-18-2013, 10:45 PM
this NBA is the best. it's my era.

senelcoolidge
11-18-2013, 11:04 PM
this NBA is the best. it's my era.

That sucks. You missed out on the real NBA.

Nevaeh
11-18-2013, 11:11 PM
That list is spot on.

A few more reasons:
- NBA Inside Stuff with Ahmad Rashad was REALLY entertaining
- NBA Commercials we're awesome
- Lots of basketball oriented movies were out (celtic pride, white men cant jump, blue chips, he got game, etc)

Not to mention those cool autobiography VHS tapes for different players, that actually celebrated their unique contributions to the League. Also can't forget the Hair styles back then either, like Hi top fades, unique custom designs, Bald heads becoming the norm, etc.

Back then, guys were able to flaunt their swag and be proud of it. Now players seem to be almost guilt tripped into not showing any personality, for fear of what it may do to their "Brand".

Nevaeh
11-18-2013, 11:22 PM
The 80s NBA was better. They had well rounded teams, better rivalries, and team play. The 90s NBA gave way to the individual player. I mean watching teams like the Pistons and Bucks rise up in the 80s was awesome. The Pistons taking on Bird and the Celtics in their prime, as well as the Lakers with their stacked squad. The 80s NBA was better.

It may have seemed that way on the surface, but that was more due to how the League was promoting itself, more so than what actually happening during a game. I went back and watched some old Bulls games from the early 90s, and they were as well oiled a team machine as anybody back then.It's just that ESPN and other sports networks began making it all about the points being scored that begin to shape that perception.

Even in Jordan's 3 point "Shrug Game" from the 92 Finals, he was dishing timely passes left and right to Pip, Pax and the rest of the guys. Those plays simply don't get shown though, because they're considered "boring".

iDunk
11-18-2013, 11:26 PM
No diva's.

SamuraiSWISH
11-18-2013, 11:31 PM
It may have seemed that way on the surface, but that was more due to how the League was promoting itself, more so than what actually happening during a game. I went back and watched some old Bulls games from the early 90s, and they were as well oiled a team machine as anybody back then.It's just that ESPN and other sports networks began making it all about the points being scored that begin to shape that perception.

Even in Jordan's 3 point "Shrug Game" from the 92 Finals, he was dishing timely passes left and right to Pip, Pax and the rest of the guys. Those plays simply don't get shown though, because they're considered "boring".
Exactly, even his late 90s games. MJ got his 30 ppg in the flow of the offense. After '89, with the steady emergence of Pippen ... he played off the ball the rest of his career. That's also why he's a more well rounded player compared to Kobe, and LeBron. Whose catch and shoot abilities, or ability to slash without the ball isn't near as good as Mike.

Team play was very prevalent in the 90s. The league began more heavily marketing individual stars after MJ left. They needed to fill that void. But teams played with more rapport. I also like how teams, and coaches stuck around longer on one team. Developing better chemistry. Fans knew not just a team's main star player, but the subsidiary players were just as recognizable.

The selfish individual play took more precedence in the 2000s. With a generation of players trying to replicate MJ's glorified statistics, and they do most of their damage ball in hand. Just look at the majority of LeBron's career, he pounded the rock in hand for the majority of the possession.

MJ could've easily went for 60+ in that game 1 of the '92 Finals, btw if he really wanted to. He missed half of the 2nd quarter that game, had 35 in 15 minutes, and wasn't forcing much of anything. He wasn't taking the ball down court himself and selfishly gunning. Then in the 2nd half blow out he barely played, and didn't look to score near as much.

CelticBaller
11-18-2013, 11:38 PM
That sucks. You missed out on the real NBA.
:lol

FindingTim
11-18-2013, 11:40 PM
the league is at a good place right now, but the 90's definitely had personality. Not just the slick kicks, but the players--

just off the top of my head:MJ, Hakeem, Malone, Barkley, Payton, Kemp, Stockton, Pippen, Dikembe, Reggie, Ewing, Hardaway, Mullin, Penny, 'Zo, D-Rob, Price, K-Johnson etc.

not to mention fun-to-watch, sub-superstar players like: Mashburn, G-Rob, Rod Strickland, Rik Smits, Rodman, Sabonis, Van Exel, Eddie Jones, Steve Smith, Glen Rice, Mookie!! etc.

But at the same time, you could make a pretty solid list of today's players.

SamuraiSWISH sums it up very well above: teams had more rapport. Outside of MJ, there seemed to be more focus on team identity rather than individual players' identity (like today's league)

But really, the difference comes down to one word: centers.

SamuraiSWISH
11-18-2013, 11:47 PM
team identity
Forgot about this too, summarized it perfectly.

Nevaeh
11-19-2013, 12:03 AM
Team play was very prevalent in the 90s. The league began more heavily marketing individual stars after MJ left. They needed to fill that void. But teams played with more rapport. I also like how teams, and coaches stuck around longer on one team. Developing better chemistry. Fans knew not just a team's main star player, but the subsidiary players were just as recognizable.

MJ could've easily went for 60+ in that game 1 of the '92 Finals, btw if he really wanted to. He missed half of the 2nd quarter that game, had 35 in 15 minutes, and wasn't forcing much of anything. He wasn't taking the ball down court himself and selfishly gunning. Then in the 2nd half blow out he barely played, and didn't look to score near as much.

I just looked up the stats to that game, and Jordan actually had 11 assists, more than the 6 or 7 that I actually thought it was. Here's his stat line.

39 points (35 in first half, NBA record)
6-10 from 3pt range
11 assists
2 steals
1 TO
1-1 FT

What was amazing for me were two things; the lack of freethrows (or the need for freethrows), and how he did most of this damage in the first half, just to prove a point to the media regarding the Clyde Drexler comparisons, who back then was more well known for his 3point shooting abilities (clyde went 0-2 from 3 this game, BTW).

If it's any wonder why guys from the 90s try and down play what Jordan to them back in the day, look no further than games like this.

:oldlol:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199206030CHI.html

SHAQisGOAT
11-19-2013, 12:10 AM

:applause:

Best decade/era.

sc19
11-19-2013, 12:25 AM
90s was terrible. It was bad and noncompetitive enough for Jordan to actually win rings coming from losing like crazy in the 80s.

KOBE143
11-19-2013, 01:39 AM
Actually, it was a watered down era.. If not for Kobe who save that era in the late 90s, that era would be the worst on par with the 60s.. NBA was better in the 00s because it was the best era of basketball, most commonly known by fans as the Kobe era.. :bowdown:

diamenz
11-19-2013, 01:50 AM
90s was terrible. It was bad and noncompetitive enough for Jordan to actually win rings coming from losing like crazy in the 80s.

i like turtles. who else likes turtles?

SamuraiSWISH
11-19-2013, 01:51 AM
i like turtles. who else likes turtles?
Ninja Turtles?

diamenz
11-19-2013, 01:53 AM
Ninja Turtles?

ninja turtles will do just fine.

sodapop
11-19-2013, 01:55 AM
My opinion, the 80's & early 90's:rockon: I miss the hardcore, working class, loyal fans of the NBA. What I mean, a fan of one team passed down from generations to the next, regardless if winning or losing. From October to June, the Bruins, Eagles hockey and Celtics basketball was it for me growing up. I didn't care about nothing else in sports. NBA basketball, if they weren't wearing the C's green, they meant nothing. Secondly, I miss the physicality. Third, I miss the team spirit many teams had back then. Last, I miss real rivalry. You knew blood will be drawn when the Celtics vs Lakers, 76ers vs Celtics, Denver vs Jazz, Bulls vs Pistons, Seattle vs Lakers, Heat vs Knicks. Again, my opinion..

Nevaeh
11-19-2013, 02:03 AM
:applause:

Best decade/era.

Lakers :5 Rings
Celtics:3 rings
Pistons:1 ring
76ers:1 ring

Damn, look at all of those teams winning Rings during the 80s. Sooooooo competitive.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Not directed at you SHAQ, more so at the notion that the 80s are perceived to be so much better due to "stacked teams" competing at the highest of levels, as if teams from the 90s just sat around twiddling their thumbs all game.

During the 80s, the League saw just 5 different teams make it to the Finals.
During the 90s, the League actually saw 10 different teams make to the Finals. Yet the 80s are considered more competitive?

http://www.nba.com/history/finals/champions.html

andgar923
11-19-2013, 03:27 AM

Wowsers... this shit was actually legit.

When I saw it came from 'Complex' I rolled my eyes because most of their shit is well... SHIT.

This was actually on point. :applause:

Round Mound
11-19-2013, 03:28 AM
80s > All Eras

Legends66NBA7
11-19-2013, 03:41 AM
Reason #2 was "The Players were more mature players"... then it went on to say "There were more lunatics in the 90's"...

So there were more mature players and lunatics in the 90's ? Little confusing, but some of the points were valid , while some are just preference.

Chrono90
11-19-2013, 03:51 AM
no flops.

11-19-2013, 03:57 AM
For me being nostalgic and 90s nba has a special place in my heart.

Generally the nba has always been top heavy compared to other sports. Heck look at the celts and bill Russell's reign of 11 rings. The 80s were always about the Lakers and Celts and some pistons and 76ers. The 90s were mostly bulls and 2 titles with the rockets. Etc...

But I do think the 90s had better centers as mentioned by many.

andgar923
11-19-2013, 04:02 AM
Reason #2 was "The Players were more mature players"... then it went on to say "There were more lunatics in the 90's"...

So there were more mature players and lunatics in the 90's ? Little confusing, but some of the points were valid , while some are just preference.

He meant mature in relation to 'basketball' not personally.

Legends66NBA7
11-19-2013, 04:03 AM
He meant mature in relation to 'basketball' not personally.

Reading over it again, I got it.

Long night. :oldlol:

Nevaeh
11-19-2013, 04:12 AM
no flops.

I'm Pro 90s, but Dennis Rodman said to tell you "hi".
http://www.ezboard.com/images/emoticons/laugh.gif

With that, Pip=Greatest Charge taker to ever play.

andgar923
11-19-2013, 04:18 AM
Why I think the 90s (basketball only) was the best.

It was a combination of the best of 80s and 2k era.

It was a clear evolution of the sport, not in terms of media attention and global impact but the way the game was played.

You had 80s fundamentals, team play, coaching, toughness, rules,
You had the 2k era athleticism, nutrition, evolution of certain skills

You combine the best of the best attributes and that's what you get.

The 80s also saw drug abuse (early 80s), players didn't take care of their bodies properly (society and medicine as a whole was backwards.... people thought Coca Cola was actually good for you, smoking wasn't bad, etc.etc.)

The 2k era saw the decline of 'team' play and younger immature (ball related) players with lack of experience. No true veteran leadership (something that even Tmac addressed on Open Court), watered down rules that inflate stats.

Legends66NBA7
11-19-2013, 04:21 AM
I'm Pro 90s, but Dennis Rodman said to tell you "hi".
http://www.ezboard.com/images/emoticons/laugh.gif

With that, Pip=Greatest Charge taker to ever play.

Vlade Divac was a flopper too. Hell, he might be the king of flopping from all big men.

KyleKong
11-19-2013, 04:24 AM
Not sure if trolling or serious but, I'll take the bait.

LeShortcut is a contributing factor to a shitty era.

Don't be mad.

http://i.imgur.com/7EcYjOT.png

Nevaeh
11-19-2013, 04:32 AM
Why I think the 90s (basketball only) was the best.

It was a combination of the best of 80s and 2k era.

It was a clear evolution of the sport, not in terms of media attention and global impact but the way the game was played.

You had 80s fundamentals, team play, coaching, toughness, rules,
You had the 2k era athleticism, nutrition, evolution of certain skills

You combine the best of the best attributes and that's what you get.

The 80s also saw drug abuse (early 80s), players didn't take care of their bodies properly (society and medicine as a whole was backwards.... people thought Coca Cola was actually good for you, smoking wasn't bad, etc.etc.)

The 2k era saw the decline of 'team' play and younger immature (ball related) players with lack of experience. No true veteran leadership (something that even Tmac addressed on Open Court), watered down rules that inflate stats.

Yeah, it seemed like the League basically panicked during the mid 00s, with those rule changes that basically made EVERYBODY soft. The guys that wanted to play tough D, but weren't allowed to, combined with soft-minded perimeter players now looking for the whistle on every play, made for some tedious ass boring match ups..

It was like that "balance" you mentioned was thrown so out of wack, that it looked like the League would never recover. Fortunately it's starting to level out again, but the 90s will always be looked at as the "perfect storm" for the League, IMO. The fact that it was the most popular era for the NBA was no fluke either.

Nevaeh
11-19-2013, 04:37 AM
Vlade Divac was a flopper too. Hell, he might be the king of flopping from all big men.

True, but his "floppestry" didn't really kick in until his King days in the early 00s, which in turn inspired Derek Fisher to go from a "gutsy defender" to a flop call seeker himself. Divac, more than anybody, also contributed to the "soft euro" stereotype that overseas players are still trying to overcome.

andgar923
11-19-2013, 04:49 AM
Yeah, it seemed like the League basically panicked during the mid 00s, with those rule changes that basically made EVERYBODY soft. The guys that wanted to play tough D, but weren't allowed to, combined with soft-minded perimeter players now looking for the whistle on every play, made for some tedious ass boring match ups..

It was like that "balance" you mentioned was thrown so out of wack, that it looked like the League would never recover. Fortunately it's starting to level out again, but the 90s will always be looked at as the "perfect storm" for the League, IMO. The fact that it was the most popular era for the NBA was no fluke either.

I don't blame today's players for being soft 'as much'. YES some are soft, but some are taking advantage of the rules, and that I don't blame them for. Luckily the league has tried to address this with fines, hopefully the league will get back on track 3 years from now

moaz
11-19-2013, 05:38 AM
My main reason:

There were no bball internet message boards (at least for the most part)

tomtucker
11-19-2013, 07:41 AM
the one thing current nba has, is better tv quality.........you can better see the details

Kovach
11-19-2013, 07:59 AM
classic rosy rememberance, half of the teams were just unwatchable back then. the talent per team is much higher now
:roll: Modern league has at least 10 early 90's Minnesota Timberwolves :lol