PDA

View Full Version : Is LeBron James' 2013-14 season the most efficient start ever? - ESPN

Hoopz2332
11-19-2013, 03:51 PM
LeBron James has a higher shooting percentage when his shot is contested.

Just when we thought LeBron James couldn't possibly take his game to the next level, he raises the bar even higher. At the Miami Heat's media day before the season, James confidently declared that he improved his game during the offseason. This, after falling one vote shy of becoming the first unanimous MVP in NBA history.

"I know you guys are tired of hearing me say this," James told the room of reporters, "but I got better."

Ten games in, it's hard to disagree.

After shooting a career-high 56.5 percent last season, James has toyed with opponents in the early going, making a ridiculous 62.2 percent of his shots from the floor. For someone who shoots as often as he does, his conversion rate is almost unfair. Consider this: Of the 18 players who have fired at least as many field goal attempts as James has this season, only one has even shot more than 50 percent (Blake Griffin, 57.2 percent).

Actually, James could go 0-for-40 against the Atlanta Hawks on Tuesday night, and he still would be shooting at least 50 percent. That's how efficient he has been. Which brings us to our next question: Is this the hottest shooting start we've ever seen?

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9999490/nba-lebron-james-2013-14-season-most-efficient-start-ever

More indetail from the insider

[quote]Leveling the playing field

What this means is James is currently shooting nearly as proficiently as a 7-foot-2, 300-pound monster who almost exclusively resided inside the paint. Thing is, James has taken almost half of his shots beyond 10 feet, which flies in the face of the archaic notion that James' game is all dunks and layups. In reality, the guy is shooting 15-of-29 (51.7 percent) from 3-point range, which shouldn't be possible for a human freight train.

In fact, James' average shot distance this season is 10.1 feet from the basket. O'Neal's average shot distance in 1997-98, the first season the league started tracking these things, was 3.4 feet, less than half the distance of James' average try. So let's put them on a level playing field, shall we? For that, I'll bring in effective field goal percentage, which accounts for the added value of the 3-pointer and does a better job of measuring shot efficiency.

And what did I find? James tops them all in efficiency. With an effective field goal percentage of 66.8 percent, James owns the most efficient 10-game start among a star-studded batch of nearly 1,000 player seasons. Adjusting for his 3-point range, James is effectively shooting 66.8 percent on 2s, which just barely tops Shaq's rate and all of the others on the list.

LeBron in space

What we're seeing is the answer to the question, "What if you gave LeBron James space to operate?" Heat coach Erik Spoelstra designed Miami's "pace-and-space" offense to maximize James' freakish athleticism and ever-growing skill set. Spread the floor, move the ball and attack before the defense can react. It's no coincidence that James is shooting 62.2 percent while being assisted on a career-high 54.9 percent of his shots. By comparison, James was assisted on just 32.3 percent of his shots during his first season in Miami and 37.2 percent of his shots in Cleveland.

And believe it or not, yes, James still is adding weapons to his loaded arsenal. Take for instance James' fadeaway (

Hoopz2332
11-19-2013, 03:55 PM
High-volume efficiency

To tackle that question, we first have to draw some lines in the sand. What makes James' start so bananas is that he's doing this as a No. 1 scoring option, not a dunking role player. Sure, DeAndre Jordan and Andre Drummond each has shot better from the floor this season, but they also are shooting just a handful of times per game. James has averaged more shots than those two combined.

To weed out supporting cast members, I pulled up the Basketball-Reference.com database, which goes back to the 1985-86 season and looked at the 936 times a player has shot at least 150 field goal attempts in his first 10 games in a season (James has 164).

What did I find? Only one player has managed to top James' ridiculous start: Shaquille O'Neal. Yes, O'Neal is the only "go-to" scorer of the past 30 years who has matched James' field goal percentage in his first 10 games in a season. He has topped James twice -- 66.7 percent in 1995-96 and 62.6 percent in 1993-94. Michael Jordan never did it. The closest Kobe Bryant has come is 52.8 percent, which he did last season, and that's almost 100 percentage points below James' current rate.

Leveling the playing field

What this means is James is currently shooting nearly as proficiently as a 7-foot-2, 300-pound monster who almost exclusively resided inside the paint. Thing is, James has taken almost half of his shots beyond 10 feet, which flies in the face of the archaic notion that James' game is all dunks and layups. In reality, the guy is shooting 15-of-29 (51.7 percent) from 3-point range, which shouldn't be possible for a human freight train.

O'Neal's efficiency derived from an average shot distance of 3.4 feet; LeBron James has been shooting from 10.1 feet away.
In fact, James' average shot distance this season is 10.1 feet from the basket. O'Neal's average shot distance in 1997-98, the first season the league started tracking these things, was 3.4 feet, less than half the distance of James' average try. So let's put them on a level playing field, shall we? For that, I'll bring in effective field goal percentage, which accounts for the added value of the 3-pointer and does a better job of measuring shot efficiency.

And what did I find? James tops them all in efficiency. With an effective field goal percentage of 66.8 percent, James owns the most efficient 10-game start among a star-studded batch of nearly 1,000 player seasons. Adjusting for his 3-point range, James is effectively shooting 66.8 percent on 2s, which just barely tops Shaq's rate and all of the others on the list.

SacJB Shady
11-19-2013, 03:59 PM
Iguodala is having a similar sEason, shooting 61 percent. And even though his points are less than Lebron's, with an 8-3 record in the west, his impact has been of similar value

DMAVS41
11-19-2013, 04:07 PM
Yea, but it doesn't count apparently because he stat pads...whatever the **** that even means.

inclinerator
11-19-2013, 04:13 PM
simply amazing

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
11-19-2013, 04:14 PM
The term stat padding is commonly used in sports to describe an action that improves a player's statistics despite being of little benefit to his or her team or its chance of winning. An example would be a football player throwing long passes with an empty backfield on first down in the fourth quarter of a game in which his team was already leading by a large margin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stat_padding

:confusedshrug:

DMAVS41
11-19-2013, 04:16 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stat_padding

:confusedshrug:

And you are saying that is what Lebron is doing?

SacJB Shady
11-19-2013, 04:17 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9999490/nba-lebron-james-2013-14-season-most-efficient-start-ever

More indetail from the insider

MOST EFFICIENT 10-GM STARTS
Over his first 10 games, LeBron James has the hottest shooting start since 1986 after accounting for the extra value of 3s (min. 150 shots):

Lebron 14- 66.8%
Shaq 96- 66.7%
Shaq 94: 62.7%
Barkley 88: 62.3%
Shaq 95: 61.4%

Find the insider for more

Iguodala 72.8 pct. Iggy has had the most efficient start ever.

He's shooting 60.9 percent from the field and his 72.2 true shooting and 72.8 effective field-goal percentage both lead the league. These percentages are bound to come back to earth over the next few weeks, but the quality of looks he's getting from, and creating for his teammates, and denying the opposition is a real thing that should stay consistent over the course of the season.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1856797-breaking-down-andre-iguodalas-versatility-for-golden-state-warriors

lebeast666
11-19-2013, 04:20 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Y9L86e4.png

LeBron √

Shaq √

MJ √

Kobe http://i.imgur.com/EGy8xBw.png

SacJB Shady
11-19-2013, 04:22 PM

LeBron √

Shaq √

MJ √

Iggy has the highest ever and leads the league. The only difference is he's taken a little less than min requirement.

lakerspng
11-19-2013, 04:23 PM
the obsession with statistical efficiency is ruining professional sports. Thank you fantasy sports for ruining the perspective and context of actual sports.

I say this not to downplay LeBron's dominance, but because of ESPN's implications that statistical efficiency is the end all be all. LeBron's a badass, no doubt about it, but I am so sick of people qualifying a player's game by statistical analysis.

jimmy77x
11-19-2013, 04:24 PM
Lebron's FG % is as unimpressive as get gets. Nothing to see here but Blatant stat padding and severe FG% protecting:sleeping :sleeping

edit ^^^^correct, the obsession with " efficiency" by the new generation lebron stat nerds and BSPN has become extremely annoying.

Spaulding
11-19-2013, 04:25 PM
Iguodala is having a similar sEason, shooting 61 percent. And even though his points are less than Lebron's, with an 8-3 record in the west, his impact has been of similar value

Are you really saying iguodala is MVP?

SacJB Shady
Lebron's FG % is as unimpressive as get gets. Nothing to see here but Blatant stat padding and severe FG% protecting:sleeping :sleeping

and Iggy has the highest percentage

lebeast666
Iggy has the highest ever and leads the league. The only difference is he's taken a little less than min requirement.

Which is why he isnt on there. Iggy aint even the number 1 option on his team. He only takes a select few shots whereas LeBron has to lead his team.

SacJB Shady
11-19-2013, 04:26 PM
Are you really saying iguodala is MVP?

uhhh yea, arguably through the first 11 games. You have to watch every game to agree though.

SacJB Shady
11-19-2013, 04:26 PM
Which is why he isnt on there. Iggy aint even the number 1 option on his team. He only takes a select few shots whereas LeBron has to lead his team.

hey a percentage is a percentage

Uncle Drew
11-19-2013, 04:28 PM
False: Quincy Miller leads the league with 150% eFG%.

FYI: No one gives a **** about Iguodala.

Hoopz2332
11-19-2013, 04:29 PM
Iguodala 72.8 pct. Iggy has had the most efficient start ever.

He's shooting 60.9 percent from the field and his 72.2 true shooting and 72.8 effective field-goal percentage both lead the league. These percentages are bound to come back to earth over the next few weeks, but the quality of looks he's getting from, and creating for his teammates, and denying the opposition is a real thing that should stay consistent over the course of the season.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1856797-breaking-down-andre-iguodalas-versatility-for-golden-state-warriors

min 150 shots. Iggy doesn't have the volume..he's at 56-92-->http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/2386/andre-iguodala

lebron is 102-164 --> http://espn.go.com/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/1966/lebron-james

Hoopz2332
11-19-2013, 04:31 PM

LeBron √

Shaq √

MJ √

:applause: :oldlol:

DMAVS41
11-19-2013, 04:31 PM
Not to that extent, but yes, he does stat-pad. I thought that was common knowledge? :confusedshrug:

What you see as stat padding...objective fans see as smart basketball. The goal is to miss as few shots as possible as a team. You shoot better than the other team...and your chances of winning goes way up.

Did you read the article? The dude is shooting better when he's shots are contested...and there are a lot of those. A player that stat pads isn't scoring 27 plus and taking that many contested shots.

He just doesn't settle...like ever. He tries to get the best shot for himself or his team every single time down the court.

It looks odd because literally no other stars have done that from the perimeter ever. We are trained to think it's a positive to see guys like Kobe, TMAC, Rose, Melo...etc. Come down and jack a shot 6 seconds into the shot clock.

The way you describe his stat padding for efficiency. You could accuse guys like Kobe and Melo for stat padding their ppg. I could sit here and say;

"Yea, they score a lot, but they are just trying to score a lot...they are stat padding because look at how many shots and possessions they use up for themselves. Total stat padding..."

Works exactly as well as your stance if you turn it into stat padding for ppg and not efficiency.

And trust me, all coaches would rather have a guy stat padding his efficiency than his ppg totals...LOL

SacJB Shady
11-19-2013, 04:33 PM
False: Quincy Miller leads the league with 150% eFG%.

FYI: No one gives a **** about Iguodala.

I'm not talking about Miller, but the fact is Iggy is providing mvp type impact and through 11 games has been as good as lebron

inclinerator
11-19-2013, 04:39 PM
I'm not talking about Miller, but the fact is Iggy is providing mvp type impact and through 11 games has been as good as lebron
no,

Hoopz2332
11-19-2013, 04:39 PM

:biggums:

iggy

http://i.imgur.com/CCSbDGK.png

lebron

http://i.imgur.com/nGcivNz.png

:coleman:

kamil
11-19-2013, 04:42 PM
And you are saying that is what Lebron is doing?

Is that a trick question?

KingBeasley08
11-19-2013, 04:44 PM
Unreal. Gonna tell my kids about Lebron

Greatest player of our generation :bowdown:

FKAri
11-19-2013, 04:45 PM
I love Lebron and all but we see this shit every year regarding Lebron. "is this his best statistical season?". blah blah blah. He'll come back down to earth.

SacJB Shady
11-19-2013, 04:47 PM
:biggums:

iggy

http://i.imgur.com/CCSbDGK.png

lebron

http://i.imgur.com/nGcivNz.png

:coleman:

just shows outside of shot attempts, iggy compares to the greatest player of all time. Amazing. assist, rebounds, defense not far off either.

DirkNowitzki41
11-19-2013, 04:47 PM
No one else comes close to having as much impact on the game than LeBron. Easily the MVP.

Kevin freaking Love for mvp? :roll: :roll:

Not even close

DMAVS41
11-19-2013, 04:50 PM
just shows outside of shot attempts, iggy compares to the greatest player of all time. Amazing. assist, rebounds, defense not far off either.

Is this supposed to be a joke? The dude is averaging 13 less ppg...

You can't compare two players with that big of a difference in volume. Iggy is really good man, but he's multiple levels below Lebron and the other elite players in the league.

Hoopz2332
11-19-2013, 04:50 PM
I love Lebron and all but we see this shit every year regarding Lebron. "is this his best statistical season?". blah blah blah. He'll come back down to earth.

Coming back to earth for lebron is still better than everyone else:oldlol: At the height of lebron turning it up another notch last year he was at 58fg%..when he came back down to earth, he "dropped" to 56 Fg%:applause:

DirkNowitzki41
11-19-2013, 04:51 PM
Coming back to earth for lebron is still better than everyone else:oldlol: At the height of lebron turning it up another notch last year he was at 58fg%..when he came back down to earth, he "dropped" to 56 Fg%:applause:
:applause:

riseagainst
11-19-2013, 04:53 PM
Lebron is pretty good. But if he doesn't average 60%FG this season, then he's place on the list will drop to top 200.

DMAVS41
11-19-2013, 04:54 PM

Yea...I don't get that argument either.

Like the playoffs last year for Lebron. dude fasces the best defense, 3rd best defense, 6th best defense, and 12th best defense all while seeing his offensive help from his teammates decline...and he puts up 26/8/7 on 59% TS and you hear that used as evidence that he stat padded in the regular season.

I really don't think people understand simple concepts anymore. 59% TS is amazing against that kind of defense given the help Lebron had. Again...amazing.

unbreakable
11-19-2013, 05:00 PM
whats impressive or new here? if you play with one of the most stacked teams in NBA history, youre gonna have an easy time :confusedshrug:

RoundMoundOfReb
11-19-2013, 05:00 PM
Beyond the stats - It looks like his first step is back to Cleveland days and his post games is vastly improved. Definitely the best he's been as a player.

Leftimage
11-19-2013, 05:02 PM

The thing is, he hasn't really ''come back down to earth'' since the start of the 12-13' season, as far as the regular season goes. It's just exhausting getting fed the ''first player with...'' ''only player to...'' ''Best player since...'' formula over and over from Sports Networks.

No matter what, casual fans & experts alike are extra excited when it comes to Lebron ''news'' because he's the best wing player since Michael Jordan.

SacJB Shady
11-19-2013, 05:02 PM
Is this supposed to be a joke? The dude is averaging 13 less ppg...

You can't compare two players with that big of a difference in volume. Iggy is really good man, but he's multiple levels below Lebron and the other elite players in the league.

I'd politely disagree with you. He's highly undervalued and is up there with the elite players in terms of things that matter.

LeGOAT
11-19-2013, 05:18 PM
I'd politely disagree with you. He's highly undervalued and is up there with the elite players in terms of things that matter.
Iguadala is a homeless mans Lebron.

SamuraiSWISH
11-19-2013, 05:22 PM
Not to that extent, but yes, he does stat-pad. I thought that was common knowledge? :confusedshrug:
He admitted it. Efficiency chubbies are for dorks.

SacJB Shady
11-19-2013, 05:26 PM
Iguadala is a homeless mans Lebron.

A homeless man can afford Lebron? what?

HurricaneKid
11-19-2013, 05:41 PM

Iggy is averaging 13ppg. Be reasonable.

russwest0
11-19-2013, 05:44 PM

link pls

DaSeba5
11-19-2013, 05:45 PM

edit ^^^^correct, the obsession with " efficiency" by the new generation lebron stat nerds and BSPN has become extremely annoying.

This is one of the worst arguments against LeBron. That doesn't make any sense.

HoopsFanNumero1
11-19-2013, 05:46 PM
link pls

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/kevin-durant-sometimes-doesn-t-want-chuck-low-220357263--nba.html

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1615870-kevin-durant-hires-analytics-expert-checks-lebron-james-stats-every-game

KingBeasley08
11-19-2013, 05:47 PM
One of my favorite arguments is that Lebron only takes lay ups. Well no shit, why wouldn't he :lol

He's one of the best finishers in history. Melo attempts a ton of shots near the rim but only shoots around 40% there.

It isn't as easy to slash the rim as Lebron makes it look

russwest0
11-19-2013, 05:49 PM

link please

DaSeba5
11-19-2013, 05:49 PM
One of my favorite arguments is that Lebron only takes lay ups. Well no shit, why wouldn't he :lol

He's one of the best finishers in history. Melo attempts a ton of shots near the rim but only shoots around 40% there.

It isn't as easy to slash the rim as Lebron makes it look

Because layups aren't part of the game obviously. He has to make jump shots only.

russwest0
11-19-2013, 05:52 PM
Because layups aren't part of the game obviously. He has to make jump shots only.

No but his mid range game is ass and in the playoffs it's why he sux a lot more

zoom17
11-19-2013, 05:52 PM

Lakers fans logic if he doesn't take a deep shots with multiple defenders on him than he is stat padding:roll: :roll: :roll:

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
11-19-2013, 05:54 PM
What you see as stat padding...objective fans see as smart basketball. The goal is to miss as few shots as possible as a team. You shoot better than the other team...and your chances of winning goes way up.

LeBron is a smart player who takes smart shots. Nobody is disputing that. It's just he passes up on quality shots (mostly jumpers, but still, quality shots).

Did you read the article? The dude is shooting better when he's shots are contested...and there are a lot of those. A player that stat pads isn't scoring 27 plus and taking that many contested shots.

Relevance? So because he scores 27+ on SOME contested shots, that means he doesn't cherry-pick? WTF? :oldlol:

It looks odd because literally no other stars have done that from the perimeter ever. We are trained to think it's a positive to see guys like Kobe, TMAC, Rose, Melo...etc. Come down and jack a shot 6 seconds into the shot clock.

It's well known that all those guys have padded their point totals at some point. Even most of these players' fans have admitted that.

It's OK to admit your favorite player stat pads, Gino.

zoom17
11-19-2013, 05:55 PM

Your obsessed with lebron every lebron thread that comes up you try to discredit it and you make yourself look like ass keep hating this guy has he continues to pile up rings Mvps :oldlol:

Trollsmasher
11-19-2013, 05:55 PM
Beyond the stats - It looks like his first step is back to Cleveland days and his post games is vastly improved. Definitely the best he's been as a player.
The first step coming back is the most scariest thing.

He is looking his best athletically he has ever looked since Cleveland and he still is not 100%

KobesFinger
11-19-2013, 05:56 PM
Only knock is his FT%

But I gotta hand it to him :applause:

Trollsmasher
11-19-2013, 05:57 PM
I don't get how can anybody accuse LeBron of "statpadding and passing up quality shots" when the Heat are playing like the most efficient offense of all time:facepalm

Element
11-19-2013, 06:00 PM

He sucks? Lol. His mid-range does usually turn to ass in the playoffs but it still hasn't stopped him from being better than any other player in the past 5 years :lol LeGreat don't even need a jumpshot

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
11-19-2013, 06:21 PM
I don't get how can anybody accuse LeBron of "statpadding and passing up quality shots" when the Heat are playing like the most efficient offense of all time:facepalm

That's right. The HEAT are playing like the "most efficient" offense. Basketball is a team sport, dork.

TheMarkMadsen
11-19-2013, 06:28 PM
How many times have you seen people on this board say "regular season doesn't matter"

DMAVS41
11-19-2013, 06:58 PM
LeBron is a smart player who takes smart shots. Nobody is disputing that. It's just he passes up on quality shots (mostly jumpers, but still, quality shots).

Relevance? So because he scores 27+ on SOME contested shots, that means he doesn't cherry-pick? WTF? :oldlol:

It's well known that all those guys have padded their point totals at some point. Even most of these players' fans have admitted that.

It's OK to admit your favorite player stat pads, Gino.

First of all, Lebron is not even one of my 10 favorite players.

2nd...those aren't great shots for Lebron! If they were, teams wouldn't be trying to hand him open 17 footers. THAT IS WHAT THE DEFENSE WANTS!

Don't you get it? You are just assuming all these guys have the same skillset. They don't. It would be one thing if guys like Kobe and Melo were passing up open jumpers at times...that is a much better shot for them based on their skillset and style. Lebron knows he can do better. He can either get to the rim...get to his comfort zone better...or set up a teammate in ways literally no other player in the league right now can.

That isn't stat-padding at all.

DMAVS41
11-19-2013, 07:00 PM
That's right. The HEAT are playing like the "most efficient" offense. Basketball is a team sport, dork.

Yep...and if Lebron was taking 5 more long jumpers a game...the supposed "quality shots" you keep talking about.

They wouldn't be playing the most efficient team offense ever.

So how again is that stat padding?

It literally makes no sense. If one players passes up a quality shot for a better quality shot...it's simply smart. And all the evidence is that Lebron's style of play right now is what is absolutely best for his team. It's an embarrassment of evidence in favor of Lebron's style right now.

Trollsmasher
11-19-2013, 07:09 PM
You don't really get it, do you?

RoundMoundOfReb
11-19-2013, 07:15 PM
Yet you accuse him of stat padding which implies he's doing something that isn't beneficial for the team.

WindmiLL
11-19-2013, 07:29 PM
Poor kuniva getting owned by DMAVS41. Nothing new really since all he does on here is repeating what's suppossed to be common knowledge on ISH. About lebron, Kobe and other players or about basketball in general. Freakin parrot :lol

SamuraiSWISH
11-19-2013, 07:32 PM
Poor kuniva getting owned by DMAVS41.
Are you one of his brothers? Or Gino himself? All you do is parrot him, and chime in on LeBron thread topics. You're a clown ass stan of the guy, so why the VC avatar? You never post, only to knob slob and defend LeBron.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
11-19-2013, 07:45 PM
Yet you accuse him of stat padding which implies he's doing something that isn't beneficial for the team.

Correct. LeBron's efficiency is overrated. The team would be just as good with him shooting 50%. They're stacked. Duh. :oldlol:

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
11-19-2013, 07:49 PM
First of all, Lebron is not even one of my 10 favorite players.

2nd...those aren't great shots for Lebron! If they were, teams wouldn't be trying to hand him open 17 footers. THAT IS WHAT THE DEFENSE WANTS!

Don't you get it? You are just assuming all these guys have the same skillset. They don't. It would be one thing if guys like Kobe and Melo were passing up open jumpers at times...that is a much better shot for them based on their skillset and style. Lebron knows he can do better. He can either get to the rim...get to his comfort zone better...or set up a teammate in ways literally no other player in the league right now can.

That isn't stat-padding at all.

You're essentially saying LeBron doesn't have a jumpshot. You know that, right?

It's hilarious that these shooting percentages will drop down considerably come the postseason.

Are you one of his brothers? Or Gino himself? All you do is parrot him, and chime in on LeBron thread topics. You're a clown ass stan of the guy, so why the VC avatar? You never post, only to knob slob and defend LeBron.

Dude doesn't contribute anything to these boards. Just follows me around. hahaha.

SamuraiSWISH
11-19-2013, 07:53 PM
Dude doesn't contribute anything to these boards. Just follows me around. hahaha.
And myself. Him and that "Simple Jack" clown.

NumberSix
11-19-2013, 08:08 PM
This is the one thing about LeBron that really annoys me, and it comes up CONSTANTLY. Overly specific criteria collections of stats. I mean, "the most efficient shooting in the first 10 games of a season with a minimum of 150 shots"..... Who cares? Do we really need a fcuking stat for this?

plowking
11-19-2013, 08:17 PM
Correct. LeBron's efficiency is overrated. The team would be just as good with him shooting 50%. They're stacked. Duh. :oldlol:

You realize that doesn't make sense?

RoundMoundOfReb
11-19-2013, 08:20 PM

Please elaborate cause this makes no sense.

Trollsmasher
11-19-2013, 08:27 PM
kuniva is confused

Nobody here makes any sensible anti-LeBron argument so he has nobody with whom he can agree.

WindmiLL
11-19-2013, 08:41 PM
kuniva is confused

Nobody here makes any sensible anti-LeBron argument so he has nobody with whom he can agree.

You nailed the point of his existance. He's a parrot, agreeing with other poster's opinions all the time or saying things like ''Lebron is stat-padding'' just because that's supposedly common knowledge on ISH?

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
11-19-2013, 08:53 PM
Nearly every win from Miami this season, they've won comfortably. LeBron's 27ppg isn't even needed. His "insane" efficiency is seriously overrated.

plowking
11-19-2013, 08:55 PM
Nearly every win from Miami this season, they've won comfortably. LeBron's 27ppg isn't even needed. His "insane" efficiency is seriously overrated.

This argument is falling in on itself. :roll:

Graviton
11-19-2013, 09:12 PM
I thought everyone already knew Lebron was the overall most efficient and well rounded player in this league. I don't need any stats to tell me how good he is, his play does it alone. I don't understand why ESPN does this. The whole "Hey look at this Lebron guy, his percentages are legendary" story during every season. Are they trying to justify why he is a GOAT level talent by using numbers with a small sample size, hoping to convert his haters?

Any real NBA fan already understands his greatness, sucking his dick over regular season stats seems so idiotic when neither he or anyone else is even trying that hard 10 games in. The jizz fest should be saved for the playoff when the real Lebron is unleashed.

WindmiLL
11-19-2013, 09:16 PM

You got me. I'm Gino who really hates Kobe. I'm Pauk from Europe aswell. Panties smelling Silktheshocker too. :oldlol:

Why the VC avatar? Believe it or not, he's my favourite player of all time, it's just that Lebron is just 1 spot beneath him and since Lebron and Kobe are the biggest topics on this forum, of course I will mostly talk about him.

Young X
11-19-2013, 09:20 PM
Chris Paul averaged 26 on 69 EFG% in the 1st 9 games of 2010 before he got injured.

Shot 62% from the floor and 65% from 3.

9.3 assists to 2.2 turnovers compared to Bron's 6.9 assists to 3.9 turnovers.

144 ORTG compared to Bron's 123 ORTG.

Graviton
11-19-2013, 09:28 PM
Chris Paul averaged 26 on 69 EFG% in the 1st 9 games of 2010 before he got injured.

Did Paul hurt himself trying to pull of the legendary Doublereversenolook360tornado? :bowdown:

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
11-19-2013, 09:44 PM
This argument is falling in on itself. :roll:

Dude could coast ALL season and Miami would still probably be a 55-57 win team. Just the truth. :confusedshrug:

People get too excited over regular season numbers. I wanna see some of these super-saiyan percentages in the playoffs.

Graviton
11-19-2013, 09:46 PM
^ WTF does Westbrook have to do with Paul's injury? How insecure can one get. You bring up Paul in every thread then later on sprinkle it with Westbrook or another rival PG.

It's like you have that inferiority complex Kobe stans suffer from. You just have to insert Kobe/Paul into every thread hoping they stay relevant. But I am sorry to tell you no one is gonna care about Paul's efficiency in the regular season unless he gets out of the 2nd round for once. Lebron at least earned his hype.

Pursuer
11-19-2013, 10:08 PM

Yeah I remember that. He was just unreal from three.

Micku
11-19-2013, 10:50 PM
Yep...and if Lebron was taking 5 more long jumpers a game...the supposed "quality shots" you keep talking about.

They wouldn't be playing the most efficient team offense ever.

So how again is that stat padding?

It literally makes no sense. If one players passes up a quality shot for a better quality shot...it's simply smart. And all the evidence is that Lebron's style of play right now is what is absolutely best for his team. It's an embarrassment of evidence in favor of Lebron's style right now.

LeBron James, Wade, and Durant already admitted that they do stat pad on their FG%. I don't really see any reason to defend that they don't when they themselves already admitted it. That doesn't mean that they aren't looking for a quality shot or playing efficient for the best of team. Especially when the game is on the line.

But they also stat pad. They already said so, so whatever.

plowking
11-19-2013, 10:53 PM
LeBron James, Wade, and Durant already admitted that they do stat pad on their FG%. I don't really see any reason to defend that they don't when they themselves already admitted it. That doesn't mean that they aren't looking for a quality shot or playing efficient for the best of team. Especially when the game is on the line.

But they also stat pad. They already said so, so whatever.

The quote everyone refers to when talking about Lebron is something he said about not taking a 3, and instead driving in and getting a layup.
Hes talking about being more efficient on the court. Not stat padding.

KingBeasley08
11-19-2013, 10:58 PM
More players should stat-pad in the regular season. Wish other players could do this.

Micku
11-19-2013, 11:01 PM
The quote everyone refers to when talking about Lebron is something he said about not taking a 3, and instead driving in and getting a layup.
Hes talking about being more efficient on the court. Not stat padding.

No, he was talking about from being 9-19. He was mad about it, and he wanted to make up for that to be 50%. Did you read the full article? Here:

His feet soaking in ice after a late December victory against Charlotte, LeBron James received a cold, unpleasant splash of water to the face. It came from the stat sheet that he had dropped in the bucket.

“Damn!”

James had just recorded 27 points, 12 rebounds, eight assists and four steals in a victory against the Bobcats, and yet one number struck him as entirely unacceptable.

“Nine for 19!”

Yes, nine for 19 – as in a shade under 50 percent.

“We were in Dallas,” Wade said, laughing as he recalled a Jan. 2 game in which he shot 9-for-21 and had the ball in his hands, far from the basket, with the clock winding down. “I was like, ‘Why did I just shoot that?’ But I had four seconds. I was like, ‘Damn.’ You have no choice when you have that much time. It would have looked bad.”

~http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sports/basketball/miami-heats-james-and-wade-play-the-percentages/nT2sZ/

LeBron was mad for not being 50%. Wade as well. If they weren't stat padding, it wouldn't even matter. They even kind'a praised Kobe for not caring about it. They admitted that they do stat pad for it. It's not that big of a deal since they also said that they want to be efficient and sometimes they are not aware of it. They aren't the only ones. Durant was like that as well. Chris Webber and Barkley made hints about it too.

Hoopz2332
11-26-2013, 06:47 AM
just put up

35 pts on 11/14 shooting

11/11 FT's

2/4 from Three

for the season

26.0 ppg on 15 shots per game

61 FG%

49 % from 3 on 3 three 3's attempted per game

80 FT% on 7 fta's

:rockon:

Doranku
11-26-2013, 08:21 AM
Who cares? This exact mentality that LeBron uses to achieve such a high FG% is why he would've walked away without a ring last year if it wasn't for Ray Allen saving his ass.

Dude picks and chooses his spots like no other in the regular season, which is why you see absurd field goal percentages against bottom-feeding scum like the Magic and Suns.

Last year, the Spurs took away these limited spots that LeBron deems worthy to shoot from and made LeBron look pathetic and lost out there on the court for the first 5 3/4 games.

These percentages really mean nothing, because they'll just plummet down to around the 47-48% mark in the playoffs.

CavaliersFTW
11-26-2013, 08:31 AM
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-3Jjc-qLasSo/UpSTJM2Q1cI/AAAAAAAAE2s/rw11GfeesYs/s800/Wilt%252018%2520for%252018.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-xu4tH-e73-I/UpSVVwzHKbI/AAAAAAAAE24/IfkEfq7Os8U/s800/Wilt%252026%2520of%252034%2520fg%2527s2.jpg

wfb
11-26-2013, 08:59 AM
Lebron haters are worst than Lebron fans on trolling. Jesus f*ck, you need to suck another d*ck.

Magic 32
11-26-2013, 10:07 AM
Last year, Kobe did this through the first 8 games...

26.03 ppg on 17 shots per game

55 FG%

52 % from 3 on 4.3 three 3's attempted per game

94.6 FT% on 6.3 fta's

Not bad for a 35 year old.

DMAVS41
11-26-2013, 11:27 AM
You're essentially saying LeBron doesn't have a jumpshot. You know that, right?

It's hilarious that these shooting percentages will drop down considerably come the postseason.

God you are stupid. I'm saying Lebron can almost always get himself or a teammate an even better shot. And YES! Part of Lebron is that he's not a great shooter. He's good, but he's not dirk or something.

What do the playoffs have to do with this? If Lebron played the best defenses all year then his numbers wouldn't Be the same.

I already showed you this...

TheReturn
11-26-2013, 11:32 AM
God you are stupid. I'm saying Lebron can almost always get himself or a teammate an even better shot. And YES! Part of Lebron is that he's not a great shooter. He's good, but he's not dirk or something.

What do the playoffs have to do with this? If Lebron played the best defenses all year then his numbers wouldn't Be the same.

Repped.

wfb
11-26-2013, 11:32 AM
DMAVS41

Shut up don't bring logic in any of ISH threads. Thread killer. :D

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
11-26-2013, 11:36 AM

Not my fault you can't articulate yourself. :oldlol:

Seriously, who is disputing any of the above? All of this is common knowledge.

Regular season numbers mean very little to me. His FG%, per usual, will drop to 47-48% in the playoffs. Truth.

TheReturn
11-26-2013, 11:47 AM

Seriously, who is disputing any of the above? All of this is common knowledge.

Regular season numbers mean very little to me. His FG%, per usual, will drop to 47-48% in the playoffs. Truth.
Against the best defensive teams in the league, averaging between 25 and 30 points on 47-48% shooting is bad how..?

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
11-26-2013, 11:51 AM
Against the best defensive teams in the league, averaging between 25 and 30 points on 47-48% shooting is bad how..?

Where in my post did I say it was "bad"? 47-48% isn't 60% is all.

TheReturn
11-26-2013, 11:56 AM
Where in my post did I say it was "bad"? 47-48% isn't 60% is all.
So what are you arguing then? His FG% is much higher because he's also playing terrible teams. During those games he only takes good/great shots, and get his teammates open looks to get their confidence up. I honestly don't get why people are hating on his selfless/efficient basketball in the regular season. Now if he's shying away from taking wide open jumpers against great defensive teams in the playoffs it's a different debate. But that's not what we're talking about here, is it?

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
11-26-2013, 12:01 PM
So what are you arguing then?

Feel free to re-read the thread.

TyroneNBAFan
11-26-2013, 12:05 PM

Haters are just nit picking at this point to be honest.

He's been at 28ppg on 50%FG the last 2 post seasons.

And his last 5 post seasons?
35ppg on 51%FG
29ppg on 47%FG
24ppg on 50%FG
30ppg on 50%FG
26ppg on 49%FG

Combined he's 28ppg on 49%FG

He isn't knocking down 57%, 61% of his shots like the past 2 regular seasons, but he's been the best scorer (based on combined volume and efficiency) the last 5 seasons.

TyroneNBAFan
11-26-2013, 12:12 PM

His FG% is around 49-50% "per usual" since he's hit his prime (2008-09) not 47-48%.

35ppg on 51%FG
29ppg on 47%FG
24ppg on 50%FG
30ppg on 50%FG
26ppg on 49%FG

Overall 28ppg on 49%FG. Still amazing volume and efficiency for the playoffs, against the best defenses.

Every other "elite scorer" besides Lebron and Durant come into the post season at about 45% and drop below that or even sub 40% FG (Rose, Kobe
and Melo for example).

Doranku
11-26-2013, 01:18 PM
His FG% is around 49-50% "per usual" since he's hit his prime (2008-09) not 47-48%.

35ppg on 51%FG
29ppg on 47%FG
24ppg on 50%FG
30ppg on 50%FG
26ppg on 49%FG

Overall 28ppg on 49%FG. Still amazing volume and efficiency for the playoffs, against the best defenses.

Every other "elite scorer" besides Lebron and Durant come into the post season at about 45% and drop below that or even sub 40% FG (Rose, Kobe
and Melo for example).

:roll: @ against the best defenses.

39 win Pistons
47 win Hawks
41 win Bulls
41 win 76ers
38 win Bucks
Bulls D-League squad

All since his "prime". LeBron's playoff stats are grossly overexaggerated due to him playing in historically weak Eastern Conferences year after year.

TyroneNBAFan
11-26-2013, 01:37 PM

39 win Pistons
47 win Hawks
41 win Bulls
41 win 76ers
38 win Bucks
Bulls D-League squad

All since his "prime". LeBron's playoff stats are grossly overexaggerated due to him playing in historically weak Eastern Conferences year after year.

You do realize the Bulls, Celtics and Pacers are the best defensive teams in the league overall during this time span right?

The only team that compares out West defensively has been Memphis the past couple seasons.

He's won 2 titles and made deep playoff runs vs. the best defenses in the league and beaten the top 2 teams in the West (OKC and SAS in the finals) over this time span.

At least TRY to see the whole picture and instead of being blinded with hate when trying to troll or whatever it is you call what you're doing.:facepalm :confusedshrug: :rolleyes: :sleeping

inclinerator
11-26-2013, 02:13 PM
Who cares? This exact mentality that LeBron uses to achieve such a high FG% is why he would've walked away without a ring last year if it wasn't for Ray Allen saving his ass.

Dude picks and chooses his spots like no other in the regular season, which is why you see absurd field goal percentages against bottom-feeding scum like the Magic and Suns.

Last year, the Spurs took away these limited spots that LeBron deems worthy to shoot from and made LeBron look pathetic and lost out there on the court for the first 5 3/4 games.

These percentages really mean nothing, because they'll just plummet down to around the 47-48% mark in the playoffs.
not really, lebron just lost confident in his shot, if he just kept shooting i gaurantee he wouldnt have been so horrible in the finals.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
11-26-2013, 02:15 PM

39 win Pistons
47 win Hawks
41 win Bulls
41 win 76ers
38 win Bucks
Bulls D-League squad

ROFL, dat "elite defense" doe.

OldSchoolBBall
11-26-2013, 02:29 PM
"Most efficient start" (as measured by this article) does not equal "best start." Not even close, actually.

aj1987
11-26-2013, 04:18 PM

39 win Pistons
47 win Hawks
41 win Bulls
41 win 76ers
38 win Bucks
Bulls D-League squad
12-13 of the teams that he faced since '08 had a top 10 defense. A lot of them were top 5 as well. Do you realize that more wins does not equal a good defensive team? The Pacers won 49 last season and they were the second best defensive team in the NBA. The '05, '06, '07, '08, '10 Suns won more than 50 games every year, but they were horrible defensively.

Round Mound
11-26-2013, 05:01 PM

LeBron √

Shaq √

MJ √

Barkley > Kobe :applause: