PDA

View Full Version : So what s wrong with being a player fan first and then a team fan?

livinglegend
11-22-2013, 12:08 AM
What s wrong with supporting a player throughout his career and staying loyal to him wherever he goes? I am a Lebron fan first and then a Miami Heat fan.
Why members on this forum act like being a player fan first is a bad thing?

leMVP
11-22-2013, 12:10 AM
The people who criticize this so called (stanism) are also player stans but are jealous beacause their player sucks.

Jameerthefear
11-22-2013, 12:11 AM
you chase around another man wherever he goes. loser.

Budadiiii
11-22-2013, 12:11 AM
Nothing particularly wrong with being a beta male. Just the way you are.

KobeClutchAsFK
11-22-2013, 12:12 AM
Do whatever makes you happy.

livinglegend
11-22-2013, 12:13 AM
Do whatever makes you happy.

I am not asking advice. I just want to know why members on here hate the player only fans a lot.

livinglegend
11-22-2013, 12:14 AM
you chase around another man wherever he goes. loser.

What so ''loser'' about that?

KobeClutchAsFK
11-22-2013, 12:15 AM
I am not asking advice. I just want to know why members on here hate the player only fans a lot.

Probably because often they make stupid-ass threads.

russwest0
11-22-2013, 12:16 AM
LeBron fan first, Heat fan second.

Don't know i've ever heard something so stupid. You are just a LeBron fan. If he went to the Bobcats you'd be a bobcat fan second.

So much fail in this thread

livinglegend
11-22-2013, 12:17 AM
Probably because often they make stupid-ass threads.
They actually act like player only fans are 'morally' wrong.
I dont get their logic.

Inferno
11-22-2013, 12:17 AM

What team will you follow when LeBron retires?

livinglegend
11-22-2013, 12:19 AM
What team will you follow when LeBron retires?
Who cares?
It has nothing to do with the topic.

livinglegend
11-22-2013, 12:20 AM
LeBron fan first, Heat fan second.

Don't know i've ever heard something so stupid. You are just a LeBron fan. If he went to the Bobcats you'd be a bobcat fan second.

So much fail in this thread

You re right, id be a Bobcats fan second because I am a Lebron fan. Anything wrong with that?

Jameerthefear
11-22-2013, 12:21 AM
Do I need to explain? You follow around a grown man, worshiping the ground he walks on.

Inferno
11-22-2013, 12:24 AM
Who cares?
It has nothing to do with the topic.

Well, that's the issue I have with player-first fans. What do they do when said player retires? Just latch onto another player? Maybe I don't understand, but I see no enjoyment in that. :confusedshrug:

Also, it's a lot more gratifying (IMO) to stick with a team as it drafts and rebuilds into a solid team instead of following the best player in the world around, as he instantly makes whichever team he joins a contender :confusedshrug: Where's the satisfaction in that? Do you want to see another man succeed that much?

livinglegend
11-22-2013, 12:24 AM
Do I need to explain? You follow around a grown man, worshiping the ground he walks on.
You follow cartoons! :oldlol:

bdreason
11-22-2013, 12:25 AM
Player fans are often seen as front-runners and ship-jumpers.

ZMonkey11
11-22-2013, 12:26 AM
What ties do you have with this guy? Did he save your parents from a burning house?

Often, a person follows a team because they are born in the general vicinity. Or they moved there as a child. They have an IDENTITY with that team.

Following a great player is jumping on a VERY convenient bandwagon.

I'm pretty sure you already knew this answer and are looking for other stans to justify your worship of a false god.

livinglegend
11-22-2013, 12:32 AM
Well, that's the issue I have with player-first fans. What do they do when said player retires? Just latch onto another player? Maybe I don't understand, but I see no enjoyment in that. :confusedshrug:

Also, it's a lot more gratifying (IMO) to stick with a team as it drafts and rebuilds into a solid team instead of following the best player in the world around, as he instantly makes whichever team he joins a contender :confusedshrug: Where's the satisfaction in that? Do you want to see another man succeed that much?

Well, it s like everything else in the world, it has a start and an end. It cant go on forever. When you follow a TV show, you enjoy all the seasons and at one point, it ends and you start a TV show. It s the same concept with players fans.

And as far as your 2nd paragraph is concerned, you find gratification in seeing a team being grow and I find gratification in seeing a player grow. I dont see anything wrong with that.

Fudge
:roll:

Jameerthefear
You follow cartoons! :oldlol:
I watch them, but I don't worship them.

livingby3's
11-22-2013, 12:33 AM
There's many reasons/ways to like basketball i guess, so you just can't say something is wrong based off your own idea.

Some may be rooting for a team in their own area, feels like there's a bond/ties between you and the team.
Some may like the style a certain team plays. Fast paced offense or hard nose team or such. Some like smart organization and the way they are managed. Some smart coaching, well coached team.
Some, like the OP, may like a player, recognize his skills and play style, and feel entertained watching him.

Different people like things for different reasons. Nothing morally right or wrong in the case of basketball. In the end i think it comes down to entertainment value versus basketball values the individual desires for

Inferno
11-22-2013, 12:34 AM
Well, it s like everything else in the world, it has a start and an end. It cant go on forever. When you follow a TV show, you enjoy all the seasons and at one point, it ends and you start a TV show. It s the same concept with players fans.

And as far as your 2nd paragraph is concerned, you find gratification in seeing a team being grow and I find gratification in seeing a player grow. I dont see anything wrong with that.

I guess I see what you mean. I can understand it, but I can never see myself having fun doing it :confusedshrug: To each his own, though :cheers:

Just curious, but do you live in a NBA city?

TaLvsCuaL
11-22-2013, 12:36 AM
Nothing wrong. There is Kobe/Lebron fans that are not even basketball fans.

andremiller07
You watch what you enjoy who cares if it's a player or a team? Why would other people even care if he's a player fan first? Do what makes you happy if you enjoy watching someone play no shame in that.

Mr. Jabbar
What do they do when said player retires? Just latch onto another player?

pretty much.. they take a huge leap from one di.ck to another never looking back

moe94
No one can explain logically why the are fans of any team. Why are you a fan? Geographical coincidence? Is that really it?

pretty much.. they take a huge leap from one di.ck to another never looking back

Says the guy whose entire gimmick is having Kobe's ***** lodged directly in his mouth at all times. I almost choked from the irony. Even as a troll account, that's pathetic.

livinglegend
11-22-2013, 12:38 AM
What ties do you have with this guy? Did he save your parents from a burning house?

Often, a person follows a team because they are born in the general vicinity. Or they moved there as a child. They have an IDENTITY with that team.

Following a great player is jumping on a VERY convenient bandwagon.

I'm pretty sure you already knew this answer and are looking for other stans to justify your worship of a false god.

You know which type of people seek identify themselves with teams? Weak and insecure people! I dont need to identity myself with other things or people to be in security. I dont need my hometown team to boost my ego. People who are insecure try to identify themselves in other things.
I follow Lebron because he is entertaining and this is what sports is all about.

livinglegend
11-22-2013, 12:40 AM
I guess I see what you mean. I can understand it, but I can never see myself having fun doing it :confusedshrug: To each his own, though :cheers:

Just curious, but do you live in a NBA city?

Actually, no i dont.

Fudge
11-22-2013, 12:40 AM
Yo I can't stop laughing.

Anybody else? :oldlol:

livinglegend
11-22-2013, 12:41 AM
I watch them, but I don't worship them.

And when did i say i worshipped Lebron?

livinglegend
11-22-2013, 12:42 AM
Yo I can't stop laughing.

Anybody else? :oldlol:

As always, you dont add anything to the conversation.

Mr. Jabbar
11-22-2013, 12:43 AM
Says the guy whose entire gimmick is having Kobe's ***** lodged directly in his mouth at all times. I almost choked from the irony. Even as a troll account, that's pathetic.

ima lakers fan first, every knowledgeable person here knows it, are you in that group?

ZMonkey11
11-22-2013, 12:43 AM
You know which type of people seek identify themselves with teams? Weak and insecure people! I dont need to identity myself with other things or people to be in security. I dont need my hometown team to boost my ego. People who are insecure try to identify themselves in other things.
I follow Lebron because he is entertaining and this is what sports is all about.

lol. ok. Why ask a question then get butt hurt? You didn't want a conversation, you wanted to battle. I really hope you are 15 or younger because that could explain things.

Fudge
11-22-2013, 12:44 AM
As always, you dont add anything to the conversation.
Sorry, i'll stop.

You shouldnt've made a thread about it honestly. Really no need to prove anything to anybody on here. Just making matters worse. JS doe.

TheMilkyBarKid
11-22-2013, 12:45 AM
Come on man, youre one if the biggest kobe dickriders on here.

Mr. Jabbar
11-22-2013, 12:46 AM
Come on man, youre one if the biggest kobe dickriders on here.

its hard not to like kobe but i was a laker fan first and that aaint changing in this lifetime

TonyMontana
11-22-2013, 12:46 AM
What s wrong with supporting a player throughout his career and staying loyal to him wherever he goes? I am a Lebron fan first and then a Miami Heat fan.

The reason people hate on player only fans is the same reason people hate on anything else.

Jealousy.

a fan who roots for a basketball behemoth such as LeBron is ALWAYS going to have a fun time watching basketball. Meanwhile these little peasents continue to watch their Orlando Magic and Sacramento Kings games somehow thinking that wasting their time with such garbage is actually a positive. "Yeah I'm a true fan! I watched every game when the team won 15 games!". Lol why would anyone care that you wasted your time watching that shit? Pathetic.

The truth is they are miserable. They see the fan enjoying the games watching LeBron or another iconic figure and they become mad as hell because they are stuck with their shitty, irrelevant team.

Mr. Jabbar
11-22-2013, 12:47 AM
they become mad as hell because they are stuck with their shitty, irrelevant team.

how would a dick rider know the real value of a championship if they celebrate every year?

livinglegend
11-22-2013, 12:48 AM
lol. ok. Why ask a question then get butt hurt? You didn't want a conversation, you wanted to battle. I really hope you are 15 or younger because that could explain things.

I dont see what made my post ''butt hurt'', but still if that s your interpretation, i cant do anyting about it.

Fudge
11-22-2013, 12:49 AM
TonyMontana thinks he's cool cuz he roots for LeBran. :oldlol: Teach me your ways brother!!!

livinglegend
11-22-2013, 12:50 AM
how would a dick rider know the real value of a championship if they celebrate every year?

As far as I remember, Lebron has 2 championship in 11 seasons.

moe94
11-22-2013, 12:51 AM

How could a dick rider who gets handed players to his team so they're always relevant know the meaning of hardship?

TonyMontana
11-22-2013, 12:51 AM

Mood: Mad

Meanwhile on championship cruise.....

http://www.cruisecrazies.com/forums/uploads/0be362c0b1e8b5819edc0d7b6e619e5b.jpg

http://bunow.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/LeBron-James-MVP-trophy.jpg

Hope your having fun watching the Lakers 5-7 season. :roll:

Mr. Jabbar
11-22-2013, 12:52 AM
As far as I remember, Lebron has 2 championship in 11 seasons.

lets not forget his actual fanbase dates from july 2010

Fudge
11-22-2013, 12:53 AM
Can i like root for LeBran too so I could be cool like you guys?

Mr. Jabbar
11-22-2013, 12:54 AM
Mood: Mad

Meanwhile on championship cruise.....

http://www.cruisecrazies.com/forums/uploads/0be362c0b1e8b5819edc0d7b6e619e5b.jpg

http://bunow.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/LeBron-James-MVP-trophy.jpg

Hope your having fun watching the Lakers 5-7 season. :roll:

http://imageshack.us/a/img96/4695/r301.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img202/5235/bjpd.png

Fudge
11-22-2013, 12:55 AM
How could a dick rider who gets handed players to his team so they're always relevant know the meaning of hardship?
Dat irony. :oldlol:

moe94
11-22-2013, 12:56 AM
Dat irony. :oldlol:

What does irony even mean? Explain it? Considering you have no idea what team I root for, you're a tool.

I'm not a Heat fan.

RoundMoundOfReb
11-22-2013, 12:56 AM
Mr jabbar vs Tony Montana in the most epic troll battle ish has ever seen :applause:

Jameerthefear
11-22-2013, 12:57 AM
This is just pitiful. Two grown ass mean latching on another's achievements like he gives a flying fvck about them.

moe94
11-22-2013, 12:59 AM
This is just pitiful. Two grown ass mean latching on another's achievements like he gives a flying fvck about them.

You described the existence of every Kobe/LeBron/Jordan stan in the world.

Realistically, you can extend that to the accomplishments of teams. It's every bit as pointless.

Mr. Jabbar
11-22-2013, 01:01 AM
Mr jabbar vs Tony Montana in the most epic troll battle ish has ever seen :applause:

montana started strong but dissapeared as the post clock expired :rolleyes:

actually, he dissapeared in the 4th page

Fudge
11-22-2013, 01:02 AM
What does irony even mean? Explain it? Considering you have no idea what team I root for, you're a tool.

I'm not a Heat fan.
I aint no dictionary. Not my fault your dumbs doesn't know what irony means. :roll:

You're talking about hardships and having teams handed to ____ on a silver platter in a ****ing LeBron thread in response to a Kobe fan. Holds no weight :oldlol: Ignorant comeback by an ignorant poster, yea? Dat's DAT irony.

Droid101
11-22-2013, 01:17 AM
LeBron is a great player, but I wouldn't describe him as "entertaining."

fpliii
11-22-2013, 01:18 AM
It gets boring after a while. I got into the NBA as a Shaq stan from when he came into the league, but now I'm all about the purple and gold.

Deuce Bigalow
11-22-2013, 01:23 AM
Being a Mikan stan back in the day when I first started watching basketball led me to becoming a Laker fan for life. It's been a roller coaster ride for the past 60+ years with the highs of 16 titles and dealing with the lows of Mikan taking an arrow to the knee that ended his career and Wilt choking away two titles.

AintNoSunshine
11-22-2013, 01:30 AM
Nothing particularly wrong with being a beta male. Just the way you are.

Seriously tho, there's nothing more beta than going around labeling what's alpha and what's beta:facepalm

secund2nun
11-22-2013, 01:35 AM
montana started strong but dissapeared as the post clock expired :rolleyes:

actually, he dissapeared in the 4th page

Mr. Jabbar was exposed when he failed to advance past the first page of the thread all 3 times when he did not have any elite front page posters with him.

KOBE143
11-22-2013, 01:36 AM
Im Lakers fan first.. Im not even a fan of a player before then I saw Kobe for the first time in my life in 2006.. Thats when started becoming a Kobe fan because its the first time I saw a man so cute and sexy and I kinda feel like he's hiding something delicious in his body that many people want to know.. Until now, Im still searching for it..

Fudge
11-22-2013, 01:37 AM
Mr. Jabbar was exposed when he failed to advance past the first page of the thread all 3 times when he did not have any elite front page posters with him.
:facepalm

...just no.

Why are LeBran stans so terrible with comebacks?

Deuce Bigalow
11-22-2013, 02:03 AM
Im Lakers fan first.. Im not even a fan of a player before then I saw Kobe for the first time in my life in 2006.. Thats when started becoming a Kobe fan because its the first time I saw a man so cute and sexy and I kinda feel like he's hiding something delicious in his body that many people want to know.. Until now, Im still searching for it..
His black mamba

http://i.imgur.com/cCcngtY.gif

Legends66NBA7
11-22-2013, 02:20 AM
I'm surprised people honestly care about either. The tables can be turned on the other asking why someone hates on a player fan to "Why do you care ? What are you going to do about it ?".

It's tiring and played out.

Mr. Jabbar
11-22-2013, 02:24 AM
I'm surprised people honestly care about either. The tables can be turned on the other asking why someone hates on a player fan to "Why do you care ? What are you going to do about it ?".

It's tiring and played out.

its the never ending battle between team fans and player fans

http://imageshack.us/a/img9/5191/qd8r.jpg
*montana is the guy in the left

TheMilkyBarKid
11-22-2013, 02:46 AM
its hard not to like kobe but i was a laker fan first and that aaint changing in this lifetime
If I were a laker fan I wouldn't ride kobes knob like you do. I'd be pretty shitty at him for creating conflict in the early 2000's team which led to shaq leaving. I'd still appreciate all Kobe has done but I'd be pissed off at what he wasted, he would've got his turn as the man. He just needed to wait.

RagaZ
11-22-2013, 03:49 AM
It is like when 13 year old girls follow Justin Bieber.

SpanishACB
11-22-2013, 06:00 AM
there's nothing wrong.

there's sports fans, those who support the team of their city or a different team for whatever strong reasons.

then there's groupies.

you, the OP, are just a groupie and there's nothing wrong with that.

but you're better off in Lebron's facebook than this forum, so get the **** out diva.

Myth
11-22-2013, 06:23 AM
I hate how much player fans jump around, and they tend to jump around only among top players, which is pretty much front running. It ends up sounding similar to somebody saying "What's wrong with being a fan of a top level team first, but once that team starts sucking, I start rooting for another top level team." However, that isn't a perfect parallel, because some player fans do stay loyal to fans (like many Kobe fans), but the ones that stay loyal become annoying by living in the past and always talking about the past.

niko
11-22-2013, 08:23 AM
There's nothing wrong with it, but it gives you a perspective that makes you utterly useless to talk to about the team, anything. I almost feel like you need to stay out and let the men talk.

IF a Lebron (not a Heat) fan says they'll beat the Knicks, what does that mean and why should anyone care? You don't even have a team.

lpublic_enemyl
11-22-2013, 08:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUS-MaW_yAE

Tmuston Beltics
11-22-2013, 08:34 AM

You do the same thing except you worship a company which is weird :pimp:

dr.hee
11-22-2013, 08:40 AM
You do the same thing except you worship a company which is weird :pimp:

Not your best try. There's a difference between "worshipping" and "rooting for".

Uncle Drew
11-22-2013, 08:57 AM
Can i like root for LeBran too so I could be cool like you guys?
Lets all root for Bron Bron. We da bess! :rockon:

gasolina
11-22-2013, 08:57 AM
So many pages in and still no mention that TEAMS win games and not the players? I'd be ecstatic if the grizzlies win even if zbo shoots 4/13.

I remember in 2011 where lebron fans were glad they lost so wade don't get the fmvp because their idol was choking. Pathetic

Tmuston Beltics
11-22-2013, 09:00 AM
Not your best try. There's a difference between "worshipping" and "rooting for".

oh so how can you tell he does the latter?

CelticBaller
11-22-2013, 09:23 AM
Only betas are front running fans

livinglegend
11-22-2013, 09:58 AM
Only betas are front running fans

this has nothing to do with front running.
You can be Perkins fan first, that wouldnt make you a front runner.
I dont get why you associate player fans to frontrunning.

livinglegend
11-22-2013, 09:59 AM
there's nothing wrong.

there's sports fans, those who support the team of their city or a different team for whatever strong reasons.

then there's groupies.

you, the OP, are just a groupie and there's nothing wrong with that.

but you're better off in Lebron's facebook than this forum, so get the **** out diva.

So you are telling me that player fans arent sport fans?
They dont appreciate the game of basketball?
They cant appreciate the way a player plays, his skills, his determination, his overall style of play...?

livinglegend
11-22-2013, 10:08 AM
There's nothing wrong with it, but it gives you a perspective that makes you utterly useless to talk to about the team, anything. I almost feel like you need to stay out and let the men talk.

IF a Lebron (not a Heat) fan says they'll beat the Knicks, what does that mean and why should anyone care? You don't even have a team.

You, as a team fan , do you stay out of the threads that compare players? Do you ignore threads like ''Who is the better player George or Melo?'' ?

2LeTTeRS
11-22-2013, 10:23 AM
I agree with OP. I grew up in NC in a city (Greenville) 4 hours away from the team I rooted for. I didn't care that they had a horrible owner and had management that was good at assembling talent but had absolutely no regard to character; I supported regardless. And when I say regardless I mean through a chain of events that embarrassed the city including:

- a player (Bobby Phills) dying while racing his teammate on the highway;
- supposedly moral owner George Shinn involved in sex scandal,
- a team leading the league in arrests;

And all this happened while our football team had a guy (Rae Caruth) who murdered his pregnant girlfriend and the very next year had a player (Fred Lane) get killed by his wife. While I'll admit these incidents did sour some of the fan-base; there were still die-hards like me that steadfastly supported the team. And how did the team reward us? By leaving in the middle of the night in '02 for "brighter pastures" in New Orleans.

So since then I've had the perspective that teams are merely business entities that have convinced people they are "a part of the community." At the end of the day to me they are businesses just like any other. I have a little fondness for the new NC team the Bobcats; but for the most part I support the players/teams that can hold my interest and play the game the right way.

To quote my self the last time this was discussed >>>>

Actually I think we'd be much better off classifying fans as "reasonable person" vs. "fanatic"; instead of "team fan" vs. "player fan. Its so funny to me how player fans are perceived because of a few bad apples. I'll admit there are some horrible player fans but I always find it funny player fans who go too far define the whole "player fan" fan-base; but die-hard team fans who belittles any and every other teams are routinely excused.

JordanL
11-22-2013, 10:31 AM
I'll assume you want a serious answer, which may be a bad assumption, I don't know.

I'm a basketball fan first, a Blazer fan second, and a Lillard fan third. When Brandon Roy played for the Blazers, I was definitely a fan of Roy, and to be honest I still am. I hoped he did well in Minnesota when he had the chance, but not at the expense of my team.

You see, I first got into basketball because I used to love shooting hoops in my drive way. Michael Jordan, Charles Barkley, Clyde Drexler, John Stockton, Magic Johnson... they were all superhuman and incredible to me when I was young, but that was partly because before I ever sat down to watch the playoffs, I'd stand my white, uncoordinated ass on that free-throw line and spend hours enjoying myself trying to get the ball through the hoop.

So where am I going with this? Player fans aren't usually fans of basketball.

They don't understand or care about how impressive it is for the team of five players to pull off that double down pick set that was actually a decoy for the clear on the weak side.

They don't understand or care about how critical the work that "role-player" center does altering shots, or making other players hesitate, and how their favorite player is the one to capitalize on it.

They don't understand or care about how much basketball really is a team sport.

And that's the thing, basketball really IS a team sport. Your favorite player is great, probably. But so much of what makes him great is having teammates that can fill their spots well.

In my experience, "player fans" appreciate the work other players do less than the player they are a fan of. So you're a Lebron fan, that's awesome. Don't you think that Lebron is genuinely a fan of basketball itself? Or of his teammates? Or of the organization?

So much of what makes him successful are those things, and he knows that and appreciates it, so why shouldn't you?

I can't ever seem to have a conversation about basketball with a player-fan, and that to me means they may as well be Speak-N-Spells. I don't give a **** that you only like a player, that's great, awesome. But why do you give a **** about basketball?

If you don't, it doesn't matter whether it's "morally" right or wrong, talking to you isn't worth my time or effort.

livinglegend
11-22-2013, 10:51 AM
I'll assume you want a serious answer, which may be a bad assumption, I don't know.

I'm a basketball fan first, a Blazer fan second, and a Lillard fan third. When Brandon Roy played for the Blazers, I was definitely a fan of Roy, and to be honest I still am. I hoped he did well in Minnesota when he had the chance, but not at the expense of my team.

You see, I first got into basketball because I used to love shooting hoops in my drive way. Michael Jordan, Charles Barkley, Clyde Drexler, John Stockton, Magic Johnson... they were all superhuman and incredible to me when I was young, but that was partly because before I ever sat down to watch the playoffs, I'd stand my white, uncoordinated ass on that free-throw line and spend hours enjoying myself trying to get the ball through the hoop.

They don't understand or care about how impressive it is for the team of five players to pull off that double down pick set that was actually a decoy for the clear on the weak side.

They don't understand or care about how critical the work that "role-player" center does altering shots, or making other players hesitate, and how their favorite player is the one to capitalize on it.

And that's the thing, basketball really IS a team sport. Your favorite player is great, probably. But so much of what makes him great is having teammates that can fill their spots well.

In my experience, "player fans" appreciate the work other players do less than the player they are a fan of. So you're a Lebron fan, that's awesome. Don't you think that Lebron is genuinely a fan of basketball itself? Or of his teammates? Or of the organization?

So much of what makes him successful are those things, and he knows that and appreciates it, so why shouldn't you?

I can't ever seem to have a conversation about basketball with a player-fan, and that to me means they may as well be Speak-N-Spells. I don't give a **** that you only like a player, that's great, awesome. But why do you give a **** about basketball?

If you don't, it doesn't matter whether it's "morally" right or wrong, talking to you isn't worth my time or effort.

Basketball can be seen from different perspectives. You can see it from a team s point of view like you mentioned in your post. You appreciate the team working together, the role players, etc.

You can also see it from a player s perspective. You closely see how a player plays in a certain system, how he communicates with his team mates, how he overcomes certain challenges and certain opponents. And when he changes his team, you see how he integrates in a new system with new coach, new teammates, etc.

JordanL
11-22-2013, 10:54 AM
Basketball can be seen from different perspectives. You can see it from a team s point of view like you mentioned in your post. You appreciate all the team work, the role players, etc.

You can also see it from a player s perspective. You closely see how a player plays in a certain system, how he communicates with his team mates, how he overcomes certain challenges and certain opponents. And when he changes his team, you see how he integrates in a new system with new coach, new teammates, etc.

And I do, and you can appreciate all those things without riding a player's dick.

As I said, my experience is that player fans don't understand the game. But most people watching basketball don't. What makes player-fans annoying is that they are convinced they do.

livinglegend
11-22-2013, 10:57 AM
And I do, and you can appreciate all those things without riding a player's dick.

As I said, my experience is that player fans don't understand the game. But most people watching basketball don't. What makes player-fans annoying is that they are convinced they do.

I do agree that most player fans dont understand the game and they make other look bad, but there are some player fans that appreciate the game.

ripthekik
11-22-2013, 11:04 AM
What a coincidence you have all the lebron fans sticking up for being a players fan :lol

The guy above is right. These aren't basketball fans. They're casual fans just to see some heroics. They don't know crap about the game of basketball. They're also young teenagers with time to troll.

VIntageNOvel
11-22-2013, 11:44 AM
actually you can be both (player fans and team fans), you only need to follow a player who is loyal to his team, so you wouldn't need to jumpship :confusedshrug:

ZenMaster
11-22-2013, 11:57 AM

Good post and repped. It's tough to discuss basketball with player only fans when they talk about how their guy "out played" one of his own teammates completely ignoring the fact that it's 5 guys working TOGETHER vs 5 other guys doing the same.

RR#9
11-22-2013, 12:01 PM
There's nothing wrong with being a player fan. You can watch sports any way you want, they're just sports. Just because some people like rooting for players instead of teams doesn't mean they're a "worse" type of basketball fan, they just choose to follow a player instead of a team because that's the way they prefer following the sport.

2LeTTeRS
11-22-2013, 12:15 PM
Good post and repped. It's tough to discuss basketball with player only fans when they talk about how their guy "out played" one of his own teammates completely ignoring the fact that it's 5 guys working TOGETHER vs 5 other guys doing the same.

Not disagreeing with this; but take this board for instance -- have you tried talking to most of the Bulls fans here? They are the most obnoxious bunch you will find anywhere. Any other team that succeeds is lucky or being favored by the refs; while their players (especially Rose) are always blameless.

What makes that better? I still think we'd be much better off classifying fans as "reasonable person" vs. "fanatic"; instead of "team fan" vs. "player fan."

Jailblazers7
11-22-2013, 12:22 PM
Not disagreeing with this; but take this board for instance -- have you tried talking to most of the Bulls fans here? They are the most obnoxious bunch you will find anywhere. Any other team that succeeds is lucky or being favored by the refs; while their players (especially Rose) are always blameless.

What makes that better? I still think we'd be much better off classifying fans as "reasonable person" vs. "fanatic"; instead of "team fan" vs. "player fan."

Yeah, I think that is why I find myself gravitating more toward non-marquee match-ups on LP because it is possible to discuss those games/teams on here with more reasonable people. It is more about the game and how it is being played when discussing teams that don't have players or fanbases that create polarization and fanaticism.

livinglegend
11-22-2013, 12:28 PM

This!
I think the reason why ''player fans'' are considered bad by most in here is because most of them are ''fanatic''.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
11-22-2013, 12:42 PM
Player fans and just player fans are grimey zealots. There are no exceptions, either.

chazzy
11-22-2013, 01:30 PM
Player fans are generally a little more insane and go at great lengths to put down their players teammates and other rivals. It's just a strange way to approach bball IMO

Fresh Kid
11-22-2013, 01:34 PM
player fans are not real fans of tha game. plain and simple az dat:no:

greymatter
11-22-2013, 02:29 PM
Absolutely nothing.

Not everyone is fortunate enough to have an NBA franchise in or near where they live. Who are people in Seattle to root for? Portland? Being one or the other doesn't make you stupid. There are retard homertards and retard stans. Hell, there are those who are a combination of both. See post directly above.

livinglegend
11-22-2013, 05:51 PM
player fans are not real fans of tha game. plain and simple az dat:no:
troll adding nothing new to the conversation, once again.

Lord Leoshes
11-22-2013, 06:05 PM

Nothing if you are a woman, or a gay man who is in love with that NBA player.
Or a man, or gay woman, who is in love with a WNBA player

Other wise what are you going to de when they retire, stop watching the NBA/WNBA all together?

Lord Leoshes
11-22-2013, 06:07 PM
Absolutely nothing.

Not everyone is fortunate enough to have an NBA franchise in or near where they live. Who are people in Seattle to root for? Portland? Being one or the other doesn't make you stupid. There are retard homertards and retard stans. Hell, there are those who are a combination of both. See post directly above.

well most of them root for the Heat cause of Ray, & Lewis.

The Real JW
11-22-2013, 06:10 PM
It's one thing to have a player you enjoy watching, but if you switch your "team fanhood" everywhere he goes then that's different. In other words, as long as your personal player faves don't dictate the team you follow and cause you to bandwagon everytime he gets traded or signs with a new team.

pauk
11-22-2013, 07:37 PM
Nothing wrong with that, as long as you are a reasonable, objective, rational fan....

97 bulls
11-22-2013, 08:40 PM
So many pages in and still no mention that TEAMS win games and not the players? I'd be ecstatic if the grizzlies win even if zbo shoots 4/13.

I remember in 2011 where lebron fans were glad they lost so wade don't get the fmvp because their idol was choking. Pathetic
This exactly. And to add, player fans tend to discredit their favorite players teammates in an effort to prop up their favorite player. That's what I find most annoying

Riley Martin
11-23-2013, 02:16 PM
teams don't get injured and miss whole seasons

ralph_i_el
11-23-2013, 02:21 PM
Because it's weird to nut ride a dude who will never know or care you exist.

inclinerator
11-23-2013, 02:35 PM
there's nothing wrong with it as probably over half this board does it

SpecialQue
11-23-2013, 02:44 PM
There's nothing wrong with it in and of itself, but most player fans here are obnoxious shit-slingers. I can't wait for Kobe to come back, but fvck has it been refreshing going into game threads this season without him and Dwight playing and seeing who the real Laker fans are, as well as not seeing Lebron trolls popping in to dissect Kobe's performance.

I've noticed that the majority of trolls here are all player fans. That can't be a coincidence.

Dro
11-23-2013, 02:46 PM
:applause: :applause: :applause:

livinglegend
11-23-2013, 02:48 PM

And it s not weird to nut ride 15 dudes. :facepalm

Big Cheese
11-23-2013, 02:57 PM
I dont see much wrong with being a player fan its just that most player 1st fans are associated with some of the worst most delusional psychopathic dickriding fans ever so most player 1st fans are hated.

If you are a player 1st fan but not a ****** I have no problem with you.