PDA

View Full Version : The Use of the "N word"

Andrew Wiggins
11-22-2013, 12:50 PM
I believe this has been a highly controversial topic in the USA for a long time and I was in the country recently and watched the show First Take. I've seen the debate of the use of the word n*gga/er become a regular topic on the show. I find Stephen A. Smith's viewpoint and stance to be hilarious and outrageous. I'm interested to hear what everyone's viewpoints on the use of the word both publicly and privately

Thanks.

plowking
11-22-2013, 12:54 PM
What is SAS view exactly?

I kinda agree with Barkley's take on it. Its a common word used today, referring to friend, and it shouldn't be made a big deal of.

Budadiiii
11-22-2013, 12:54 PM
Who cares, n*gga?

I'm a white dude and the word is a big part of my vocabulary.

I wish a black dude would get offended so I could whoop his ass on the spot.

AI Thornton
11-22-2013, 01:14 PM

FatComputerNerd
11-22-2013, 01:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8ys8-sF1NU

kNicKz
11-22-2013, 01:30 PM

:roll:

tomtucker
11-22-2013, 01:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_0eauxtA9U

basketball

FatComputerNerd
11-22-2013, 02:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_0eauxtA9U

basketball

LOL!!!

FatComputerNerd
11-22-2013, 02:08 PM
"Django Unchained Every N-word"

-Probably NSFW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwkAFYdoADI

BrooklynZoo
11-22-2013, 02:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brfirwOPtkA

FatComputerNerd
11-22-2013, 02:43 PM
Harold and Kumar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrLavrmoWsc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbU6nUHR-O0

FatComputerNerd
11-22-2013, 02:49 PM
Chris Rock's take on it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iau-e6HfOg0

Andrew Wiggins
11-22-2013, 03:18 PM
What is SAS view exactly?

I kinda agree with Barkley's take on it. Its a common word used today, referring to friend, and it shouldn't be made a big deal of.

basically that white people have no right to say it, no right to dictate who can and who can't say it, and are the villain when it comes to the use of the word

black people can say it as they please, are the victims (referred to himself as a victim and the white man as a villain), and it's completely different and endearing when black people use it amongst themselves.

seems like an uneducated, belligerent point of view

ace23
11-22-2013, 03:24 PM
seems like an uneducated, belligerent point of view
It's not. Shut up.

knickballer
11-22-2013, 03:29 PM
It's not. Shut up.

u mad *****?

tomtucker
11-22-2013, 03:32 PM
Harold and Kumar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrLavrmoWsc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbU6nUHR-O0

funny thing about jordans.......you don

ROCSteady
11-22-2013, 03:34 PM
^ Sweet rebuttal, ace 23. I can't believe how meagerly the black community has moved forward collectively in major arenas of healthy life yet still get so fired up over a word that has taken on a consciousness on its own.

I never use the n word unless I'm quoting a song or someone else.

I think, as with all things spoken that offend people...

CONTEXT needs to be taken in account.

ace23
11-22-2013, 04:27 PM
u mad *****?
Personally, I don't give a **** who says it. It's all about context.

But to call SAS's stance uneducated and belligerent is a pretty uneducated stance in itself.

Andrew Wiggins
11-22-2013, 04:30 PM
Personally, I don't give a **** who says it. It's all about context.

But to call SAS's stance uneducated and belligerent is a pretty uneducated stance in itself.

calling himself the victim and the white man in CURRENT society the villain is hilarious and uneducated

using historical examples from before he was born as a means of justifying his use of the word and why people who had nothing to do with slavery have no right to comment on the use of the word? uninformed

Jameerthefear
11-22-2013, 06:20 PM
me and my super close friends say ***** to eachother all the time and he's white (i'm black). just how close we are. black kids nowadays don't care long as it's not with an er.

TheReal Kendall
11-22-2013, 06:32 PM
I don't care if white people say it as long as they not saying it in a disrespectful way or trying to mock/poke fun of black people.

I was at a halloween party in the complex I just moved in and it was mostly white people and maybe like 3 blacks including myself but the other black dudes where just token black guys that you could tell grew up around nothing but whites.

Anyway though everybody was drunk/high but me cause I had just got off. All of a sudden I hear this country chick call her white friend nikka and then it was like the music stopped and everybody got quiet and looked at me. I was laughing and was like I don't care about that word just don't say the "er" and we good.

Then later that night they played a bunch of rap music and was trying to freestyle and they where saying nikka like it was nothing but honestly I don't care.

It was funny watching them but like Chuck said just watch what nikka you say it around cause some aren't cool with it.

Go Getter
11-22-2013, 06:51 PM
me and my super close friends say ***** to eachother all the time and he's white (i'm black). just how close we are. black kids nowadays don't care long as it's not with an er.
:facepalm

Go Getter
11-22-2013, 06:51 PM
I don't care if white people say it as long as they not saying it in a disrespectful way or trying to mock/poke fun of black people.

I was at a halloween party in the complex I just moved in and it was mostly white people and maybe like 3 blacks including myself but the other black dudes where just token black guys that you could tell grew up around nothing but whites.

Anyway though everybody was drunk/high but me cause I had just got off. All of a sudden I hear this country chick call her white friend nikka and then it was like the music stopped and everybody got quiet and looked at me. I was laughing and was like I don't care about that word just don't say the "er" and we good.

Then later that night they played a bunch of rap music and was trying to freestyle and they where saying nikka like it was nothing but honestly I don't care.

It was funny watching them but like Chuck said just watch what nikka you say it around cause some aren't cool with it.
:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

Go Getter
11-22-2013, 06:53 PM
calling himself the victim and the white man in CURRENT society the villain is hilarious and uneducated

using historical examples from before he was born as a means of justifying his use of the word and why people who had nothing to do with slavery have no right to comment on the use of the word? uninformed
:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

:biggums:

TheReal Kendall
11-22-2013, 06:54 PM
:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

Why the :facepalm ?

Jameerthefear
11-22-2013, 07:00 PM
:facepalm
What?

Go Getter
11-22-2013, 07:01 PM
Why the :facepalm ?
If you don't know by know you'll most likely never know...

TheReal Kendall
11-22-2013, 07:06 PM

Cause I'm black and I don't care about the word?

I'm assuming you're black from your other thread.

Like I said though as long as they don't say er or mocking blacks I'm good.

I'm from Alabama so I've been in a lot racist situations and I've been in many fights as a kid because of the word.

At the end of the day it's just a word and it doesn't have any power over me.

Life is too short to get worked up over a word.

tomtucker
11-22-2013, 07:12 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTcu7MCtuTs

Jameerthefear
11-22-2013, 07:21 PM

I'm from Alabama so I've been in a lot racist situations and I've been in many fights as a kid because of the word.

this.

chips93
11-22-2013, 07:30 PM

why not educate us, friend?

-p.tiddy-
11-22-2013, 07:32 PM
I grew up around a lot of whigga type white dudes mixed with blacks and mexicans...some of my white friends threw around ngga all the time and for the most part our black friends didn't care at all...sometimes they called us nggas too

The only time I threw that word around though was drunk rappin along to lyrics...even as a youngster I thought the whites that threw that word around on a regular looked like posers and all around just stupid.

it's probably much easier for a white dude to pull off at a young age...pretty sure all of my white friends that used to throw that word around no longer do. Maybe they finally looked in the mirror and said "okay, wtf am I doing?"

KobesFinger
11-22-2013, 07:41 PM
It no longer bothers or offends me but I do cringe when non-blacks say it. Worst one is white girls singing "My *****", sounds like they're arguing over whose slave is whose.

And if you have to ask a black person "can I say it?" then you probably shouldn't say it

HarryCallahan
11-22-2013, 07:54 PM
Don't become a n*gger to the word nigguh.

ROCSteady
11-22-2013, 08:47 PM
I grew up around a lot of whigga type white dudes mixed with blacks and mexicans...some of my white friends threw around ngga all the time and for the most part our black friends didn't care at all...sometimes they called us nggas too

The only time I threw that word around though was drunk rappin along to lyrics...even as a youngster I thought the whites that threw that word around on a regular looked like posers and all around just stupid.

it's probably much easier for a white dude to pull off at a young age...pretty sure all of my white friends that used to throw that word around no longer do. Maybe they finally looked in the mirror and said "okay, wtf am I doing?"

Agreed. Thanks for the perspective from Dally.

It's corny as shit when white people use that word, in a mocking fashion or when trying to be serious.

If the white folk that are actually serious and think that culturally they are 'down' to use it and don't grow out of it...

Well then it's possible they are a static strain on society for their life

plowking
11-23-2013, 01:41 AM

Good outlook. Don't let things work you up.

Go Getter is just a f@ggot. Don't dare utter a word about racism or race around him or he'll explain how his view is the only correct one.

Patrick Chewing
11-23-2013, 02:16 AM
n*gga please

miller-time
11-23-2013, 03:02 AM
I came up with an idea yesterday I call "word stagnation." Most words tend to be derivations of other words and no word is safe from having its definition changed over time. Except offensive words in the modern world. In modern western society it seems that once a word is deemed offensive that word becomes locked in its definition. Instead of being like other words which are malleable and ever changing, the definition for an offensive word has stagnated.

I thought of the idea yesterday when I was reading about Sia and her response to Rap God. Essentially she said that she knows Eminem is not homophobic but she didn't think that his use of the word ****** was acceptable - even though she also acknowledge that his intended definition of the word was not a pejorative against homosexuals. Why is that the case? I'm not too sure, maybe people are afraid of history being white washed, maybe they don't want the offensive word hidden and used in plain sight, maybe they just love the struggle (not necessarily playing victim, but people do have a penchant for the drama)?

I think it is kind of ridiculous to hold words in such locked definitions. It is much better to either let them fall into disuse or to change meanings. I'm sure there are words we use to day that were at one time offensive and we don't even know it, and there are multitudes of words that were offensive that we have completely forgotten about. As long as a word has stagnated it will always carry power and with it controversy, segregation, and offense. Should white people say it? Who cares. Let them say it with the a on the end and let the word with the er on the end fall into disuse.

Bucket_Nakedz
11-23-2013, 03:06 AM
this is how feel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNlRlmAQmj0)

tomtucker
11-23-2013, 04:18 AM
http://www.quickmeme.com/img/70/700de835a7c519650d62b8239cbecea58d0a083ddaf4aabb94 f824df9eec9b7f.jpg

:confusedshrug:

andremiller07
11-23-2013, 04:45 AM
It should be a non issue and yet it is, imo if someone is racist to you than you have every right to be racist back and it that case the "N" word is fine. I can't understand why this is such a big topic all over ESPN now out of all the things in the world this shit is being brought up for no reason..........

guy
11-23-2013, 11:36 AM
http://www.quickmeme.com/img/70/700de835a7c519650d62b8239cbecea58d0a083ddaf4aabb94 f824df9eec9b7f.jpg

:confusedshrug:

You'd have to be a fool if you think Eminem doesn't use the word. Maybe not anymore cause he's like 40 and probably more mature, but he definitely used it when he was younger.

guy
11-23-2013, 11:47 AM
I'm not black, but from my perspective, every side of this argument is so ridiculously overblown. First of all, for the people that have a problem with black saying the word and then having a problem when non-blacks say it, why the hell do you care so much? Is it really that hard to just not say n**ga? Do you really feel like you're losing that much by not saying n**ga?

Second, its a word. I don't understand why people have such a problem with it. Its not the same word as n***er. Different meaning, different spelling, different sounding. People say it should be outlawed because of what its derived from, but I guarantee there are other regular everyday words used that were derived from a negative word as well. Still, like I said, I'm not black so I'm not as sensitive obviously toward it.

Third, the idea of trying to outlaw it EVEN PRIVATELY is ridiculous. Don't say it on twitter, in interviews, etc. But in the locker room? You should be able to say whatever the hell you want privately in a situation until someone who has a problem with it confronts you about it.

-p.tiddy-
11-23-2013, 01:19 PM
Agreed. Thanks for the perspective from Dally.

It's corny as shit when white people use that word, in a mocking fashion or when trying to be serious.

If the white folk that are actually serious and thick that culturally they are 'down' to use it and don't grow out of it...

Well then it's possible they are a static strain on society for their life
I had some white friends that were seriously 'bout it' though...every bit as 'real' as my black friends...not scared of anyone or anything... those white friends usually grew up in poor homes and I imagine awful parenting.

One of them threw around 'ngga' every other word... Claimed blood... Went to prison for a few years on gun charges, and I always wondered if the blacks in prison accepted him and let him say ngga like he was one of them... maybe they did, or maybe he got his ass beat every other day, idk. I grew out of touch with him.

He was murdered in his apartment a couple years after his release... so I know he made plenty of enemies.

tomtucker
11-23-2013, 02:15 PM
http://worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhl4f7L3e1NN2cg06l

Wiz Khalifa The Use of the "N word"

Pointguard
11-23-2013, 03:01 PM

The word was used at lynchings, murders, and one of humanities worse crimes on a people. It was a property term that was linked to hate, abuse and criminal activity even within our lifetimes. That's why it offensive. The history is rarely taught, so its an open wound with a bunch of ignorance running rampant about it, including waaay to many young Black people. I doubt there is a word that has more hate or a more demonic history attached to it in American history.

Just as Indians don't like words and images about them just used as sports names without people knowing about their history. Even when the negative connotation is hard to figure. When Jesse Jackson ran for President he called NY Hymietown. Hymie means life in Hebrew, But Blacks used the word to distinguish Jews from other White people. They were often political friends to Blacks but were known to be very frugal and go hard at the dollar - Hymie was a term that at its worse meant the cheap guys claiming their dollars. So the then Urban Dictionary (which didn't really exist at this time) had this term Hymie in it and there was considerable pressure on Jesse Jackson to apologize. And this was based on what the word meant in the ghetto more so than what it meant to other Jews - as it mean life in Hebrew.

It did link a perception of them in a group that the Jewish people didn't like so they put pressure on Jesse Jackson. Some people just aren't down for people to be throwing around their culture, history or values in any way without proper education or understanding of it - and I can appreciate that. I do think its a way to garner proper respect and more understanding. If you care enough to educate yourself I doubt that people will be as lazy and careless with their language in addressing people in ways less than respectful or without any standard.

If nobody is the custodian of culture it can't be preserved. People are right to want it not get crazy.

fsvr54
11-23-2013, 03:49 PM
I grew in in predominantly latino areas, and EVERY youngin used/uses nikka, I don't know about gringos but its very common in hispanic communities.

ROCSteady
11-23-2013, 04:49 PM
I had some white friends that were seriously 'bout it' though...every bit as 'real' as my black friends...not scared of anyone or anything... those white friends usually grew up in poor homes and I imagine awful parenting.

One of them threw around 'ngga' every other word... Claimed blood... Went to prison for a few years on gun charges, and I always wondered if the blacks in prison accepted him and let him say ngga like he was one of them... maybe they did, or maybe he got his ass beat every other day, idk. I grew out of touch with him.

He was murdered in his apartment a couple years after his release... so I know he made plenty of enemies.

I'm not saying whites that use it are fake. Just the ones who perpetually use it are probably involved in criminal culture as you corroborated. Thus...

a strain on society. The word is more socio-economic/cultural than racial these days. The corny white folk that say it as teens and rock Hollister in the suburbs are just embarrassing

Go Getter
11-23-2013, 05:23 PM

You think Malcolm, Martin, Garvey, Huey, or any proud black man would let their white friends call them the n-word?
:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

I go to an all white, mostly Mormon, ultra conservative school. My two dearest mentors are both white women and I consider both to be my "Utah mother(s)."

I could not have gotten to where I'm at if I despised white people or didn't take the abundance of kindness and wisdom presented to me by people of different races so please don't turn this into a racial issue--it's an issue of pride.

On the flip side there have been some very disrespectful moments in my educational journey. I don't get worked up over a word and I've been called every variation of the n-word, including the insulting kind most notably at basketball games across Indiana and Wisconsin. I've never fought or lashed out over someone calling me an offensive word.

With that being said it is my POV that ya'll brothers have an ignorant/uneducated POV. From a proud brother's POV letting white people call you a the n word in any variation is bogus. I calmly explain to people that I feel like the word is disrespectful and I would prefer that people don't refer to me as that. I can't bar anyone from saying what they like to say and what other people say doesn't matter to me one bit. But then again I don't refer to black men as the n word in public myself I replaced the word with brother.

Again, I've never fought anyone for saying the n word around me or to me but I kindly explain to them that I don't like terms like that. I don't use racial slurs for other races as well. That's just how I roll...I'm not really going to go into it that deep but I hope you can see my POV.

Go Getter
11-23-2013, 05:32 PM
The only thing that I can't understand is why people get so mad when I say I'd prefer not to be called an n word in any variation. Where I'm from it doesn't go down like that people call you by your name and whites usually refrain from calling black men anything that sounds like the n word [unless they want trouble].

I don't like racial words like that. For any race. I don't use slurs for LGBTQ individuals as well I am trying to be a progressive person and accept people for who they are. If you think people saying the n word in jest is cool I accept your POV too...I just won't be around that type of stuff or entertain it.

Young black men letting white guys call them the n word seems surreal to me due to my upbringing.

Jameerthefear
11-23-2013, 05:39 PM
You think Malcolm, Martin, Garvey, Huey, or any proud black man would let their white friends call them their n-word?
:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

I go to an all white, mostly Mormon, ultra conservative school. My two dearest mentors are both white women and I consider both to be my "Utah mother(s)."

I could not have gotten to where I'm at if I despised white people or didn't take the abundance of kindness and wisdom presented to me by people of different races so please don't turn this into a racial issue--it's an issue of pride.

On the flip side there have been some very disrespectful moments in my educational journey. I don't get worked up over a word and I've been called every variation of the n-word, including the insulting kind most notably at basketball games across Indiana and Wisconsin. I've never fought or lashed out over someone calling me an offensive word.

With that being said it is my POV that ya'll brothers have an ignorant/uneducated POV. From a proud brother's POV letting white people call you a the n word in any variation is bogus. I calmly explain to people that I feel like the word is disrespectful and I would prefer that people don't refer to me as that. I can't bar anyone from saying what they like to say and what other people say doesn't matter to me one bit. But then again I don't refer to black men as the n word in public myself I replaced the word with brother.

Again, I've never fought anyone for saying the n word around me or to me but I kindly explain to them that I don't like terms like that. I don't use racial slurs for other races as well. That's just how I roll...I'm not really going to go into it that deep but I hope you can see my POV.
i don't let anyone call me a *****. that's just corny.

-p.tiddy-
11-23-2013, 06:12 PM
I'm not saying whites that use it are fake. Just the ones who perpetually use it are probably involved in criminal culture as you corroborated. Thus...

a strain on society. The word is more socio-economic/cultural than racial these days. The corny white folk that say it as teens and rock Hollister in the suburbs are just embarrassing
yep its cringe worthy anytime any white dude says it... real or fake

hell once a black man hits 40 he should probably abandon the word... Its really just for youngsters