PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else impressed by Blake Griffin this year?

Ken_Masters
11-22-2013, 06:23 PM
Last year i thought he took a step back. He didn't show me much. But this year i feel like he's more aggressive looking to get his. He's averaging 23 points on 56 percent shooting to go along with 11 rebounds per game. I'm impressed by Griffin this year. Anyone else agree?

CavaliersFTW
11-22-2013, 06:27 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-3ZzeUsHZAKY/UBxkUzVBexI/AAAAAAAABxk/YLE0K9uyTII/s640/1316798976_tyler-the-creator1.jpg

moe94
11-22-2013, 06:28 PM
No, only overrated dunk only scrubs can average 23/11 on great shooting.

Le Shaqtus
11-22-2013, 06:29 PM
Doesn't look any different from last year.

bdreason
11-22-2013, 06:29 PM
Last year his defense was vastly improved. This season he looks about the same as last year. I want to see him be more aggressive on the offensive post, which he has improved slightly this season. He needs to get to the point where he DEMANDS a double on the post for this Clippers team to be a true contender IMO.

STATUTORY
11-22-2013, 06:33 PM
Empty stats, what has changed?

Ken_Masters
11-22-2013, 06:36 PM
He has pretty good footwork. Kind of reminds me of Carlos Boozer in that department. He's excellent in the pick and roll and is now hitting the jumper on the pick and pop. Griffin is a very good player. He is trending upward in my opinion.

yobore
11-22-2013, 06:36 PM
Very.

Not sure what's going on or who to blame for the defense, but Griffin has upped his game in a big way. Much quicker to do what he's doing when gets the ball and he's shooting like David West from midrange.

Jameerthefear
11-22-2013, 06:37 PM
Yeah he's definitely gotten better.

The Real JW
11-22-2013, 06:40 PM
Improved from last year, but he needs to do more in the post to command some doubles.

steve
11-22-2013, 07:29 PM
Last year his defense was vastly improved. This season he looks about the same as last year. I want to see him be more aggressive on the offensive post, which he has improved slightly this season. He needs to get to the point where he DEMANDS a double on the post for this Clippers team to be a true contender IMO.

35% of his offense comes from the post which is one of the higher percentages in league and he scores consistently from his chances (.88 points per possession, one of the higher totals in the league). He needs to be much more consistent on defense but he has one of the most versatile offensive games in the league, even it doesn't look that polished.

Haymaker
11-22-2013, 07:31 PM
He still needs to work on his jumper. His release is slow as fvck.

scm5
11-22-2013, 07:32 PM

When will haters stop using the "empty stats" excuse for players like Griffin and Love?

moe94
11-22-2013, 07:47 PM
When will haters stop using the "empty stats" excuse for players like Griffin and Love?
It doesn't even make sense with Blake considering his team isn't even awful, nor is Love's this season.:confusedshrug:

andgar923
11-22-2013, 08:07 PM

Not sure if trolling but it's not off base.

Most of his points are created by Chris. Still has poor footwork, unreliable jumper, no patience and poor IQ in the post, lack of go to moves.

He has one move (a good one) the spin move he uses in the post, but that's it. He uses his strength and athleticism as he always has (which is good), simply doesn't know how to use it properly or consistently.

Not a bad player and slightly above average when all things are considered.

But not worthy of the hype he gets.

He gets superstar franchise hype by some when he still hasn't proven himself to coming close when it matters. Actually it's been the opposite with Griffin.

scm5
11-22-2013, 08:22 PM

Most of his points are created by Chris. Still has poor footwork, unreliable jumper, no patience and poor IQ in the post, lack of go to moves.

He has one move (a good one) the spin move he uses in the post, but that's it. He uses his strength and athleticism as he always has (which is good), simply doesn't know how to use it properly or consistently.

He gets superstar franchise hype by some when he still hasn't proven himself to coming close when it matters. Actually it's been the opposite with Griffin.

The logic here is amazing.

So BG's rookie season of 23/12/4 on 50% was also because of CP3?

He had Baron Davis who was a great PG, but only played with Griffin for 43 games. He had Mo Williams for all of 22 games.

Damn, someone must have created all of those shots for Blake, how the hell did he score 23?!

Must be Eric Gordon with his 4apg or Bledsoe with 3.6.

Are you seriously going to act like BG played with CP3 his entire career and CP3 being the main reason why he's effective?

scm5
11-22-2013, 08:24 PM
35% of his offense comes from the post which is one of the higher percentages in league and he scores consistently from his chances (.88 points per possession, one of the higher totals in the league). He needs to be much more consistent on defense but he has one of the most versatile offensive games in the league, even it doesn't look that polished.

Didn't know this, thanks for pointing it out.

Griffin is seriously being underrated.

moe94
11-22-2013, 08:25 PM
Are you seriously going to act like BG played with CP3 his entire career and CP3 being the main reason why he's effective?

The fact that he thinks a rookie PF can randomly average 22/12/4 and be considered average is reason enough to never respond to such a post.

Fiasco
11-22-2013, 09:16 PM
Chris Paul creates all Blake's shots.

Now I've read everything.

Pacquiao
11-22-2013, 09:18 PM
Chris Paul is the most overrated piece of sh!t. Its not even funny anymore how overrated he is

andgar923
11-22-2013, 09:20 PM
The logic here is amazing.

So BG's rookie season of 23/12/4 on 50% was also because of CP3?

He had Baron Davis who was a great PG, but only played with Griffin for 43 games. He had Mo Williams for all of 22 games.

Damn, someone must have created all of those shots for Blake, how the hell did he score 23?!

Must be Eric Gordon with his 4apg or Bledsoe with 3.6.

Never did I state that his entire career/efficiency is due to other players manufacturing for him. I clearly stated that he has 'some' positive aspects to his game.

In the past teams didn't scout him as well.

People have always claimed that CP3 regressed him, they point to his past stats as proof that CP3 is somehow holding him back. They fail to understand that teams have figured him out. Which is why he suffers miserably in the playoffs, teams know how to play him.

CP3 does create plenty of great looks for him, that cannot be disputed.

People criticize him for a reason. We are not haters, and what we point out is legit... he's overrated, it's that simple.

CavaliersFTW
11-22-2013, 09:20 PM
Chris Paul is the most overrated piece of sh!t. Its not even funny anymore how overrated he is
According to ESPN people should be seriously considering whether or not he's better than Magic Johnson and Oscar Robertson :roll: :roll: :roll:

Seriously though, whoever wrote that article should be fired.

moe94
11-22-2013, 09:21 PM
According to ESPN people should be seriously considering whether or not he's better than Magic Johnson and Oscar Robertson :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Oscar played in a completely different era. Watch his footage. Dude is putrid in relation to day. I'm sorry.

Graviton
11-22-2013, 09:23 PM
Griffin has been beasting, he always rapes OKC every time they match up even going back to past 2 seasons. People giving all the credit to CP3 are retarded, yesterday Griffin gave Paul like 6 assists through his own offense to continue his irrelevant streak. Paul literally had to do nothing but make a simple pass and watch Blake drain ridiculous shots. The team has quality players all around that give CP3 the opportunity to pad his assists all he wants. But some people like to give the guy all the credit and shit on the quality players he works with. :wtf:

moe94
People criticize him for a reason. We are not haters, and what we point out is legit... he's overrated, it's that simple.

You are simply a tool.

You say something stupid, get told, then change your tune by saying how he wasn't scouted. Yeah, teams didn't prepare for him ALL YEAR TO THE POINT WHERE HE AVERAGED 23/12. That is some sound logic.

Then you say absolutely nothing that has any objective basis and throw around your opinion as if it's fact. Just stop.

russwest0

I know. Melo gets shit on for losing in the 2nd round, but damn, at least he can get his team there :roll: :roll:

CavaliersFTW
11-22-2013, 09:24 PM
Oscar played in a completely different era. Watch his footage. Dude is putrid in relation to day. I'm sorry.
'watch his footage'

I can, and do

Can you? Do you?

Pacquiao
11-22-2013, 09:27 PM
I know. Melo gets shit on for losing in the 2nd round, but damn, at least he can get his team there :roll: :roll:

Melo lead his team to the West Finals. CP3 has done nothing. He dominates the ball to rack up the assist. Hope Memphis kick his overrated small @ss in the 1st round so this CP3 fans will overrate him again

russwest0
11-22-2013, 09:29 PM
Start of each season:

"CP3 is da best PG in da league!!!!"

Playoff time:

"(Insert other PG here) is da best PG in da league!!!"

I've been watching it happen now for the last 5 years or so. The cycle always repeats itself too, shit is hilarious, you think these clowns would learn by now.

moe94
11-22-2013, 09:29 PM
'watch his footage'

I can, and do

Can you? Do you?

You're going to sit there and tell me you'd take Oscar Robertson as he was over Chris Paul today? :oldlol:

Fiasco
11-22-2013, 09:31 PM
Never did I state that his entire career/efficiency is due to other players manufacturing for him. I clearly stated that he has 'some' positive aspects to his game.

People have always claimed that CP3 regressed him, they point to his past stats as proof that CP3 is somehow holding him back. They fail to understand that teams have figured him out. Which is why he suffers miserably in the playoffs, teams know how to play him.

Griffin's stats suffered because he and Paul play at polar opposite paces. Is it really a surprise the team accommodated CP3? Not to mention his minutes went down measurably after his rookie season.

What is also indisputable is Blake having adjusted to CP3s game while being able to create for himself and others.

You're criticizing the wrong things imo. I'm really not going to bother arguing the idea of someone averaging 23/11 on 58% from the field being "overrated".

coin24
11-22-2013, 09:34 PM

This :applause:

Whoever is saying he improved has not watched many clipper games:oldlol:

moe94
11-22-2013, 09:35 PM
The great Oscar Robertson!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x7V5bTsm5A

Peep that crisp jumper and those ridiculous handles. He was just out of this world with his triple double average coming in the fastest pace in the history of the game. His playoff heroics and leadership mentality put Paul to shame. All his rings where he was the number 1 option are just too much for Paul to overcome.

scm5
11-22-2013, 09:39 PM

BG didn't regress nor did teams figure him out. CP3 changed the pace of the Clippers. They went from a pace of 92.8 to 89.2.

BG's FG% went up, FGA went down but mainly because he played less minutes. BG's minutes decreased the previous two years with CP3, but his production remained the same (per 36/PER).

His rebounding numbers took a hit with the development of DJ. That's to be expected and would have happened to even the best of rebounders.

He is far from overrated. His defense was criticized earlier in his career and that was founded. He's actually a good defender now.

CavaliersFTW
11-22-2013, 09:39 PM
The great Oscar Robertson!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x7V5bTsm5A

Peep that crisp jumper and those ridiculous handles. He was just out of this world with his triple double average coming in the fastest pace in the history of the game. His playoff heroics and leadership mentality put Paul to shame. All his rings where he was the number 1 option are just too much for Paul to overcome.
That's all you've seen of Oscar? Seriously? Those clips aren't reflective of Oscars abilities. I'm sorry - one of these days my Youtube channel is going to have an Oscar mix that will do him justice - if that's your source for judging whether or not Oscar was any good than I just feel sorry for you.

moe94
11-22-2013, 09:42 PM
That's all you've seen of Oscar? Seriously?
I'm using the same retarded contradictory logic that has been permeating in these threads that feature Chris Paul. He's quite clearly the best PG in the league but people want to pretend otherwise and I find that pathetic. Simple as that.

Also, no, nothing from Big O has ever impressed me, including his video game stats, which are more a product of his era than anything else.

andgar923
11-22-2013, 09:48 PM
Griffin's stats suffered because he and Paul play at polar opposite paces. Is it really a surprise the team accommodated CP3? Not to mention his minutes went down measurably after his rookie season.

What is also indisputable is Blake having adjusted to CP3s game while being able to create for himself and others.

You're criticizing the wrong things imo. I'm really not going to bother arguing the idea of someone averaging 23/11 on 58% from the field being "overrated".

Blake suffers cause his game hasn't progressed much, that's why he's being criticized, that's why they've lost in the playoffs.

If you watch the Clips and know anything about ball you'd clearly see Blake not understand the concept of team ball. He doesn't know how or when to set screens. His jumper is inconsistent, so much so that teams give him that shot on purpose. His post game is infant, with only a spin move. It consists of him throwing himself and hoping the ball goes in... at times it does, at times it doesn't. But it's not based on any footwork and balance. Speaking of, he still has very bad balance, jumps off the wrong foot when making moves which is why he gets criticized by basically everybody that knows anything about basketball.

Yes the stats look good (still early in the season) but there's a reason why they're referred to as 'empty'.

Having to "adjust"? they've been playing together for 2 seasons (or is it 3?), CP3 is an all time (arguably top 10 all time) PG that makes incredible passes and is one of the smartest PGs in the game. This again comes down to Blake not knowing how to set screens properly.

Again, I don't have any stats but based on what I've seen both live and on tv, CP3 creates 6/10 easy shots for him. Nothing wrong with saying that. Stockton set up Malone beautifully. I don't see how that's such an insulting statement. CP3 just happens to make Griffin's efficiency look great on paper. Get him on an iso and it'll drop a significant amount (say about 45% depending on the spot).

Griffin will be truly judged come playoff time.

He may get all of the great looking empty stats during the regular season. But I want to see how he does when it counts the most.

Btw... ya'll do know Barnes was calling Blake a p@ssy right?

That's another part of his game that annoys some of us Clipper fans.

I'm at work baby love you criticizing his lack of development as a player. I watch him play and not look at the box scores.

CavaliersFTW
11-22-2013, 09:51 PM
I'm using the same retarded contradictory logic that has been permeating in these threads that feature Chris Paul. He's quite clearly the best PG in the league but people want to pretend otherwise and I find that pathetic. Simple as that.

Also, no, nothing from Big O has ever impressed me, including his video game stats, which are more a product of his era than anything else.
Who the **** even said anything about stats? Big O is a better player than Chris Paul - and it's really not even close. Your talking about a 5-11 guy who has excellent court awareness and handles and that's about it vs a guy who was basically built like the pickup-truck version of Michael Jordan. A 6-6 220lb player who could do anything with a basketball and was skilled and aware enough to play the point guard position better than any of his peers and good enough that people today still speak of him as candidate of 'best all around player ever' and/or 'best point guard ever'. Trying to compare Chris Paul to Oscar is like trying to compare Chris Paul to Lebron James or Magic Johnson. Oscar is that class of elite player. Chris Paul is not.

russwest0
11-22-2013, 09:53 PM

Chris Paul quite clearly the best PG in the league?

How is he better than Westbrook again?

moe94
11-22-2013, 09:54 PM
Nostalgia clouds my judgement.

Let's just say Oscar amounted to nothing by himself and needed to be carried by arguably the greatest center of all time. When you make your mix that shows Oscar's true talents, I'll be eagerly waiting.

andgar923
11-22-2013, 09:55 PM
BG didn't regress nor did teams figure him out. CP3 changed the pace of the Clippers. They went from a pace of 92.8 to 89.2.

BG's FG% went up, FGA went down but mainly because he played less minutes. BG's minutes decreased the previous two years with CP3, but his production remained the same (per 36/PER).

His rebounding numbers took a hit with the development of DJ. That's to be expected and would have happened to even the best of rebounders.

He is far from overrated. His defense was criticized earlier in his career and that was founded. He's actually a good defender now.

It's Blake supporters that have stated CP3 has hindered Blake, not me. I've stated the opposite actually.

And scouts have figured him out, it just so happens that some teams do a better job than others, and naturally they need the proper game plan and personnel. We see this in the playoffs (sadly).

Far from overrated?

There was talk of him being better than Malone!!! and this coming from mainstream media, you can just imagine the idiocy that interwidiots spewed.

He is a good power forward.

Not better than Malone

Not one of the best all time

And not at the franchise level of hype he's received.

I do understand that media attention and highlight reels has warped people's perception, and that's the problem. People base players on stats and highlights.

Dude's game and stats are at times on different worlds.

CavaliersFTW
11-22-2013, 09:57 PM
Let's just say Oscar amounted to nothing by himself and needed to be carried by arguably the greatest center of all time. When you make your mix that shows Oscar's true talents, I'll be eagerly waiting.
I'm 27, nostalgia clouds nothing. Common sense is my weapon of choice.

scm5
11-22-2013, 10:02 PM
It's Blake supporters that have stated CP3 has hindered Blake, not me. I've stated the opposite actually.

And scouts have figured him out, it just so happens that some teams do a better job than others, and naturally they need the proper game plan and personnel. We see this in the playoffs (sadly).

Far from overrated?

There was talk of him being better than Malone!!! and this coming from mainstream media, you can just imagine the idiocy that interwidiots spewed.

He is a good power forward.

Not better than Malone

Not one of the best all time

And not at the franchise level of hype he's received.

I do understand that media attention and highlight reels has warped people's perception, and that's the problem. People base players on stats and highlights.

Dude's game and stats are at times on different worlds.

Mmm, I barely see him on any Top 10 lists and his stats are good and he's a consistent performer.

andgar923
11-22-2013, 10:07 PM
I'm 27, nostalgia clouds nothing. Common sense is my weapon of choice.
http://media1.giphy.com/media/YzZ29cRg4hkrK/giphy.gif

Everything I ever thought I knew is not.

andgar923
11-22-2013, 10:11 PM
Mmm, I barely see him on any Top 10 lists and his stats are good and he's a consistent performer.

The talk of him being better than Malone has died down no doubt. Some of his champions have calmed down.

But that's why there's expectations and why he receives criticism. HIs game hasn't evolved much. It's been widely accepted that the Clippers go as far as he goes. CP3 can't carry the team on his own, he needs Blake to help him. He was the face of the Clips before CP3 got there and when Chris got there the ring talk emerged. Chris has held up his end, Blake has gone the opposite route.

People have concentrated on his game/evolution as we should.

It's not looking too bright for what I've seen thus far. Small small improvements but not enough to get over the hump (unfortunately).

SHAQisGOAT
11-22-2013, 10:26 PM
From what I've seen he improved as far as D, considerably

senelcoolidge
11-23-2013, 06:57 AM
Griffin's minutes were reduced a lot last season that's why his numbers look smaller. Some people don't understand the concept of minutes. There were a ton of games in which Griffin and Paul set out whole 4th quarters. It's evident for people that actually watch the Clippers and have followed Griffin to see that he has improved from season to season. He has added and improved on different facets of his game. The jumper has been a work in progress and it will continue to get better. His post game is inconsistent, sometimes it's great other times it looks awkward. A lot of this has to do with his confidence I think. Doc is really making a positive difference for Griffin and DJ. He is a lot more energetic on the defensive side. Even covering the other teams best player at time. Even his FT% is improving. With all of the hate he gets, Griffin will probably have a quiet Hall of Fame career.

devin112
11-23-2013, 08:39 AM
His jumpshot % is a lot better this year. All of the TNT analyst covering the Clipps/Thunder game gave him credit for improving his shot.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/22/the-extra-pass-busting-myths-surrounding-blake-griffin-and-thursdays-recaps/

[QUOTE]Griffin