PDA

View Full Version : Pierce and KG are missing Rondo

Donnybrook
11-23-2013, 01:05 AM
I never agreed with the people that would say KG and Pierce (and Allen too, I guess) "made" Rondo, or "make him look better than he is." Now we see KG and Pierce out there trying to play without a high level PG like Rondo on the court and see their lack of production.

I always believed this -and now it seems more evident- that Rondo was making the most out of KG and Pierce while playing together in Boston. Rondo was great at driving and dishing out to an open Pierce for an easy spot up 3, or kicking to KG for the easy 18 footer. Now, what we have, is Pierce and KG trying to create too much for Brooklyn, and that's not necessarily what they've been doing for the last 6 or so years (with the exception of Pierce to an extent).

TL;DR = Rondo made the most out of the Old Greats on the Celtics and was a huge factor in them being a contender. This is evident by the lack of production and large drop-off of the once major contributors on a contending team.

moe94
11-23-2013, 01:08 AM
I'm sure it has nothing to do with their advanced age, decreased role and minutes. It has everything to do with Rondo.

Donnybrook
11-23-2013, 01:14 AM
I'm sure it has nothing to do with their advanced age, decreased role and minutes. It has everything to do with Rondo.

No, I understand the effects that will have on their production. However, they're bodies weren't all that young last year, or the year before, etc., and it's not like KG hasn't played limited minutes on the C's in years prior, but Rondo made it easier for them to contribute considering their ages/health. I was only stating that Rondo seems to get underrated in the assumption that "KG and Pierce" made him, when, in reality, Rondo made it so easy for them.

The JKidd Kid
11-23-2013, 01:16 AM
No, I understand the effects that will have on their production. However, they're bodies weren't all that young last year, or the year before, etc., and it's not like KG hasn't played limited minutes on the C's in years prior, but Rondo made it easier for them to contribute considering their ages/health. I was only stating that Rondo seems to get underrated in the assumption that "KG and Pierce" made him, when, in reality, Rondo made it so easy for them.

Yes it's not like KG and Peirce both played excellent basketball after Rondo went down. They definitely didn't singlehandedly will their team to game 6 against the 2nd seed in the play offs. :facepalm

b1imtf
11-23-2013, 01:21 AM
Yes it's not like KG and Peirce both played excellent basketball after Rondo went down. They definitely didn't singlehandedly will their team to game 6 against the 2nd seed in the play offs. :facepalm
They didn't do it alone

Donnybrook
11-23-2013, 01:21 AM

If we're talking playoffs, when haven't the C's (including Pierce and KG) played great, individual basketball? That's what they're known for. I'm referencing their new roles on the Nets, compared to the ease and style of basketball they were playing on the C's and how big of an impact Rondo truly was in making that happen for them. Again, all I'm getting at is that Rondo has been underrated in that regard.

Geez, you people sure like to play devil's advocate. :hammerhead:

coin24
11-23-2013, 01:30 AM
So... Rondo >> Magic:confusedshrug:

Donnybrook
11-23-2013, 01:32 AM
So... Rondo >> Magic:confusedshrug:

Uhh... what? :biggums:

I<3NBA
11-23-2013, 01:40 AM
ever wonder if Mike Brown misses Lebron?

coin24
11-23-2013, 01:41 AM
Uhh... what? :biggums:

ESPNs next breaking cover story:oldlol:

ProfessorMurder
11-23-2013, 01:44 AM
ever wonder if Mike Brown misses Lebron?

Who's Mike Brown, and who's LeBron in this metaphor?

NYKFansCOM
11-23-2013, 04:13 AM
Although I do agree that Rondo did wonders for KG Pierce & ray I think we need to give a healthy dwill a fair chance at leading them..

Also consider that they are both a year older.. but in my opinion they can only succeed as far as dwill takes them

Last year he blew up in the second half of the season & was averaging like 23 a game or something like that

Real Men Wear Green
11-23-2013, 06:42 AM
This is more about age. Don't forget that they finished off last season just fine without Rondo. They would be better with Rondo setting them up right now but the players that they were would be getting it done with or without Rondo.

salwan
11-23-2013, 07:24 AM
rondo :bowdown:

iamgine
11-23-2013, 08:33 AM
I never agreed with the people that would say KG and Pierce (and Allen too, I guess) "made" Rondo, or "make him look better than he is." Now we see KG and Pierce out there trying to play without a high level PG like Rondo on the court and see their lack of production.

I always believed this -and now it seems more evident- that Rondo was making the most out of KG and Pierce while playing together in Boston. Rondo was great at driving and dishing out to an open Pierce for an easy spot up 3, or kicking to KG for the easy 18 footer. Now, what we have, is Pierce and KG trying to create too much for Brooklyn, and that's not necessarily what they've been doing for the last 6 or so years (with the exception of Pierce to an extent).

TL;DR = Rondo made the most out of the Old Greats on the Celtics and was a huge factor in them being a contender. This is evident by the lack of production and large drop-off of the once major contributors on a contending team.
Last season:

Pierce before Rondo injury: 19 PPG 54 TS% 5.7 RPG 3.8 APG 1.4 SPG
Pierce after Rondo injury: 18 PPG 59 TS% 7.1 RPG 6.1 APG 0.7 SPG

I see no evidence of what you're talking about.

Harison
11-23-2013, 08:50 AM
Both PP and KG played better with Rondo out, but mainly because they had to step up.

Nets obviously could use Rondo because Deron is MIA and Livingston is nowhere near as good as Rondo.

The JKidd Kid
11-23-2013, 08:51 AM
If we're talking playoffs, when haven't the C's (including Pierce and KG) played great, individual basketball? That's what they're known for. I'm referencing their new roles on the Nets, compared to the ease and style of basketball they were playing on the C's and how big of an impact Rondo truly was in making that happen for them. Again, all I'm getting at is that Rondo has been underrated in that regard.

Geez, you people sure like to play devil's advocate. :hammerhead:

I'm talking about regular season buddy, you're thread has absolutely no basis.

ChuckOakley
11-23-2013, 09:08 AM
Last season:

Pierce before Rondo injury: 19 PPG 54 TS% 5.7 RPG 3.8 APG 1.4 SPG
Pierce after Rondo injury: 18 PPG 59 TS% 7.1 RPG 6.1 APG 0.7 SPG

I see no evidence of what you're talking about.
Because this goes beyond half a season.
PP had a poor playoffs (KG was OK) and if not for JR Smith they probably get swept by the Knicks. Meanwhile they barely made the playoffs.

Rondo kept these guys going as long as they did.
As did Doc and being in a system they knew.

Look how bad the Nets are with KG and PP. Look how bad the Celtics are without KG, PP, doc and Rondo.

Rondo continues to be the most unappreciated PG in the game by far.
Paul and maybe Curry are the only two I consider over him.

iamgine
11-23-2013, 09:38 AM
Because this goes beyond half a season.
PP had a poor playoffs (KG was OK) and if not for JR Smith they probably get swept by the Knicks. Meanwhile they barely made the playoffs.

Rondo kept these guys going as long as they did.
As did Doc and being in a system they knew.

Look how bad the Nets are with KG and PP. Look how bad the Celtics are without KG, PP, doc and Rondo.

Rondo continues to be the most unappreciated PG in the game by far.
Paul and maybe Curry are the only two I consider over him.
Umm...premise of the thread is Rondo made the most of PP and KG. Clearly the evidence says Pierce did better without Rondo. Why are we talking about playoff when currently PP and KG are bad in the regular season (which they were great without Rondo).

Maybe we could say they missed Doc and the system, but definitely not Rondo.

Element
11-23-2013, 10:02 AM
Umm...premise of the thread is Rondo made the most of PP and KG. Clearly the evidence says Pierce did better without Rondo. Why are we talking about playoff when currently PP and KG are bad in the regular season (which they were great without Rondo).

Maybe we could say they missed Doc and the system, but definitely not Rondo.

Pierce was pretty awful in the playoffs. He couldn't get any open looks, easy layups or even spot-up jumpers without Rondo anymore. Jeff Green was the best player for the C's for the majority of the time Rondo was down.

MMM
11-23-2013, 10:11 AM
Rondo definitely made their lives easier and extended their ability to play at the level they did for a long time. Yes Pierce played well last season but he was not able to maintain his production. Having Rondo getting you easy baskets in the flow of the game/transition would of left Pierce/KG with a lot more in the tank come the playoffs.

iamgine
11-23-2013, 10:47 AM
Pierce was pretty awful in the playoffs. He couldn't get any open looks, easy layups or even spot-up jumpers without Rondo anymore. Jeff Green was the best player for the C's for the majority of the time Rondo was down.
Maybe could use Rondo now, but in Celtics they individually played better without Rondo.

leMVP
11-23-2013, 12:12 PM
Rondo carried them on his back during their 2012 run to ECF.

He doesn't get credit for that because ppl here acknowledge the term "Boston's Big 3" which lasted from 2008-2010, and since then it was Rondo (their key player) surronded by Great players who know their rules.

Harison
11-23-2013, 12:38 PM
Rondo carried them on his back during their 2012 run to ECF.

Rondo never was the best player in Celtics, and in 2012 he anchored one of the worst offenses in NBA. (27th of 30)

The only reason Celtics were relevant and got to ECF was the defense (1st of 30). Guess who anchored that? 20/10 guy, who was the best big man in those Playoffs as well.

In case you one of those fans who doesnt care about D, a short stat to help you to understand what it is: KG on the bench meant Celtics were allowing 33 more points. Heat shot 85% FG with KG on bench, and 38% with him on court. Let this sink in.

MMM
11-23-2013, 12:46 PM
Rondo never was the best player in Celtics, and in 2012 he anchored one of the worst offenses in NBA. (27th of 30)

The only reason Celtics were relevant and got to ECF was the defense (1st of 30). Guess who anchored that? 20/10 guy, who was the best big man in those Playoffs as well.

The Celtics never had a consistent best player. I would say KG and Rondo were the closest thing to it. Rondo definitely was the celtics best player over the last few playoffs. In 2010 the Celtics don't get to the finals without his performance. One thing that gets ignored his how his extended mins elevated the bench players production. Guys like TA, Glen, etc had stretches with Rondo that were far superior to their regular season performance.

La Frescobaldi
11-23-2013, 12:50 PM
Garnett & Pierce should both retire, right now. Don't wait for the end of season.

For basketball reasons.

BlackWhiteGreen
11-23-2013, 12:54 PM
Garnett & Pierce should both retire, right now. Don't wait for the end of season.

For basketball reasons.

Atlanta would have a top 5 pick winging their way if that happened.