PDA

View Full Version : Will Rose be the first MVP not in the HOF ?

BigTicket
11-23-2013, 04:59 AM
Until now this has been the one constant for the HOF, if you won an MVP, you will get in. But if you look at Rose's resume, would you really vote for him to enter the HOF ?

He has one good season where he won the MVP, and even that wasn't very spectacular (25/4/8 on 45%FG). Other than that he has two decent allstar seasons, and the way he is looking right now he might never have any more of those.
Also, he's never really done much in the playoffs, or been a good defender.

He's still only 25 so he could come back and do a lot more, but honestly I just don't think he will get his explosiveness back, and without that he is just not a superstar or a HOFer.

kamil
11-23-2013, 05:11 AM
Not with his glass knees.

I've never really been gung-ho about the guy myself. I get that he's an explosive monster and guards have always been my favourite players, but I just dont get the vibe from him that he can and WILL just absolutely take over a game. I suppose that being a Bulls fan for so many years since the Jordan days you kind of get spoiled and expect something better.

I hope for the best though.

josh99
11-23-2013, 05:17 AM
It really depends on if he can ever play healthy again, hopefully he doesn't end up being the next T-Mac.

yobore
11-23-2013, 09:27 AM
If his career was over tday he wouldn't make it. I also think Roy had a better peak but won't ve remembered at all compared to rose because of where they played

Fox
11-23-2013, 09:29 AM
Rose in the HOF? You've got to be kidding

Brook(lyn)Lopez
11-23-2013, 09:45 AM
No, he's done as a star player and his peak was very short due to injuries.

Not that being a star player means much in terms of HOF chances.
They let any old "very good" player in the Hall nowadays.

Not like NFL or MLB Hall of Fame which is League specific and you almost always have to be the best of the best of your era to get in.

Kblaze8855
11-23-2013, 10:13 AM
There are hall of famers who made less all star games than Rose has already. And none of them were MVPs or all NBA. And im not talking college greats who didnt translate either.

Rose returns to 2012(not even 2011) form for any sustained period of time hes going to the HOF.

And if he doesnt...if he becomes a player on the level of say...Rod Strickland..or NVE...for a good while? hes still probably going. Just a take a while Bob Mcadoo style.

I suspect there will never be an NBA MVP who doesnt make the hall of fame.

Im not sure there is even a runner up who wont make it. They all have so far.

There are barely any all NBA first teamers not in the hall. I can only think of 6 who were all nba first team....could be in...and arent yet.

6 maybe 7. And there are 5 a year for 65 years.

Hes going. The only guy in the conversation for best points in the last 3-4 years I dont think is a near lock is Deron Williams. He needs a strong middle career.

Rondo has the ring and more fame id say.

Paul is paul. Probably gonna go down as the best of his time.

Westbrook is gonna be a 10 time all star and has made the finals and may make several more.

Rose is an MVP/all nba first team.

Deron is the only one who has a good sized hole in the resume.

Real Men Wear Green
11-23-2013, 10:13 AM
Guys have come back from one major knee injury. But two in a row that basically kill two consecutive seasons? That's both huge injury as well as huge rust. I'm reminded of how Arenas went from Agent Zero to just zero. It looks bad.

Nero Tulip
11-23-2013, 10:58 AM
You guys overrate how hard it is to get in the HOF.

guy
11-23-2013, 11:25 AM
It really depends on if he can ever play healthy again, hopefully he doesn't end up being the next T-Mac.

Like I said in the other thread, T-Mac was still one of the best players in the league in his 11th season. Not even close to the same situation. Even Grant Hill's wasn't as bad as this would be. This would be more like Brandon Roy or Bill Walton.

Locked_Up_Tonight
11-23-2013, 11:30 AM
You guys overrate how hard it is to get in the HOF.

Considering there are 340 members. And at least 1/3 to 1/2 of those are coaches and contributors.

The Hall is a pretty select group.

guy
11-23-2013, 11:51 AM
Considering there are 340 members. And at least 1/3 to 1/2 of those are coaches and contributors.

The Hall is a pretty select group.

So 170-220 players are in the HOF? I would say even if Rose were to retire tomorrow, he'd be considered a top 170 player of all-time.

Locked_Up_Tonight
11-23-2013, 11:56 AM
There are barely any all NBA first teamers not in the hall. I can only think of 6 who were all nba first team....could be in...and arent yet.

6 maybe 7. And there are 5 a year for 65 years.

Latrell Sprewell
Ed Sadowski
Truck Robinson
Howie Dallmar
Gus Williams
Gene Shue
Stan Masiak
Bones McKinney
Alex Groza
Larry Foust
Ralph Beard
Marques Johnson
Anfernee Hardaway
Bob Feerick
Paul Westphal
Mark Price
Max Zaslofsky
Sidney Moncrief
George McGinnis
Tim Hardaway

BigTicket
11-23-2013, 11:59 AM
So 170-220 players are in the HOF? I would say even if Rose were to retire tomorrow, he'd be considered a top 170 player of all-time.

There are actually only 98 NBA players in the HOF.

demons2005
11-23-2013, 12:01 PM
If Brandon Roy is a maybe Derrick rose is a definitely x 10. People here are such hypocrites. Rose >>> Roy career wise and accomplishment wise

Real Men Wear Green
11-23-2013, 12:07 PM
If Brandon Roy is a maybe Derrick rose is a definitely x 10. People here are such hypocrites. Rose >>> Roy career wise and accomplishment wise
I think he may need to come back and make a few more ASGs. Regardless let's see what happens with Grant Hill. If Hill makes it i like Rose's chances more because it shows there's a sympathyvote fire guys that would jabber made it with good health. If he doesn't i don't see Rose making it because Hill's career pre-injury was on part with Rose.

guy
11-23-2013, 12:27 PM

Roy is not even close to a maybe.

jlip
11-23-2013, 12:42 PM

There are actually only 98 NBA players in the HOF.

Also some of the NBA players that are there are in partially due to their college and/ or international careers, not just their NBA careers.

STATUTORY
11-23-2013, 12:45 PM
the standards for HOF is increasing over time, people shouldn't cite some obscure HoF from the 60s with questionable pedigree as to why Rose would get the nod. Guys like Kevin Johnson aren't in the HOF and Rose isn't clear cut above him if his peak has truly ended, which i believe is true

Kblaze8855
11-23-2013, 01:03 PM
Latrell Sprewell
Ed Sadowski
Truck Robinson
Howie Dallmar
Gus Williams
Gene Shue
Stan Masiak
Bones McKinney
Alex Groza
Larry Foust
Ralph Beard
Marques Johnson
Anfernee Hardaway
Bob Feerick
Paul Westphal
Mark Price
Max Zaslofsky
Sidney Moncrief
George McGinnis
Tim Hardaway

Bolded the ones who came to mind. I thought Sidney made it a couple years ago. And I knew Tim was a finalist last year. He will make it soon. George and the 50s guys are the ones I forgot.

I mean...Bones Mckinney? He had to be in the BAA.

Anyway...it makes my point. There arent many. Though to the credit of the "He wont make it" crowd most of them had injuries or other issues limit them.

But none of them were MVPs either. Penny and Jermaine Oneal I suspect are the only people to finish top 3 in MVP voting not in or terribly likely to go. Spencer Haywood just got in didnt he? I expect Zo to make it.

Grant was thirdi n 98 I wanna say so maybe add him? Melo is going, Dwight is going, Durant, Wade, and probably Tmac...

Get to #4 it gets murky. Peja came in 4th. Though I bet he makes it too. Few ASG...all NBA second team...couple european player of the years...02 WC over USA. I think top 5 in threes in the NBA.

L.Kizzle
11-23-2013, 01:11 PM
MVP Awards is a lock for a Hall of Fame career.

Case closed.

ILLsmak
11-23-2013, 01:16 PM
I think he may need to come back and make a few more ASGs. Regardless let's see what happens with Grant Hill. If Hill makes it i like Rose's chances more because it shows there's a sympathyvote fire guys that would jabber made it with good health. If he doesn't i don't see Rose making it because Hill's career pre-injury was on part with Rose.

Explain this sentence to me.

-Smak

Real Men Wear Green
11-23-2013, 01:22 PM
Explain this sentence to me.

-Smak
Cell phone post, should have checked it more carefully. What I meant to write:

I think he may need to come back and make a few more ASGs. Regardless let's see what happens with Grant Hill. If Hill makes it I like Rose's chances more because it shows there's a sympathy vote for guys that would have made it with good health. If he doesn't I don't see Rose making it because Hill's career pre-injury was on par with Rose.

secund2nun
11-23-2013, 01:48 PM
He is not a HOF caliber player.

Tmuston Beltics
11-23-2013, 01:58 PM
Depens how much Adidas is willing to pay

kshutts1
11-23-2013, 02:02 PM
Latrell Sprewell
Ed Sadowski
Truck Robinson
Howie Dallmar
Gus Williams
Gene Shue
Stan Masiak
Bones McKinney
Alex Groza
Larry Foust
Ralph Beard
Marques Johnson
Anfernee Hardaway
Bob Feerick
Paul Westphal
Mark Price
Max Zaslofsky
Sidney Moncrief
George McGinnis
Tim Hardaway

:applause:

I don't know how you did this research, but I've literally never seen such a long list of players of whom I've NEVER heard.

I bolded all the ones that I knew. Everyone else sounds like a baseball or soccer player, or someone else equally unimportant in my life.

Edit: A few more are faintly ringing a bell in my tiny brain. But prior to this post I would probably say that I recognized the name, but wouldn't be able to place it with basketball.

dunksby
11-23-2013, 02:28 PM
:applause:

I don't know how you did this research, but I've literally never seen such a long list of players of whom I've NEVER heard.

I bolded all the ones that I knew. Everyone else sounds like a baseball or soccer player, or someone else equally unimportant in my life.

Edit: A few more are faintly ringing a bell in my tiny brain. But prior to this post I would probably say that I recognized the name, but wouldn't be able to place it with basketball.
I like Rose but if he cannot make a big comeback how many people do you think would remember his name in 20 years?

b0bab0i
04-01-2015, 06:56 PM
Bump

ShawkFactory
04-01-2015, 07:10 PM
DON'T EVEN

Height Freak
04-01-2015, 07:15 PM
Rose in the HOF? You've got to be kidding

THIS.

Akhenaten
04-03-2015, 03:11 PM
http://i.imgur.com/XDKEVQx.jpg

SaltyMeatballs
04-03-2015, 04:21 PM
It's possible.

ImKobe
04-03-2015, 04:21 PM
At this pace, yes.

DMAVS41
04-03-2015, 04:30 PM
No, he'll make it unless he never plays again.

If he retired tomorrow he definitely would not make it.

My guess is that he has a handful of decent seasons later on in his career or some good stretches that is enough to get it.

He won't deserve it though...

jzek
04-03-2015, 04:32 PM
It's impossible to NOT be in the HOF once you've won the MVP.