PDA

View Full Version : Why wouldn't you draft Wiggins no. 1?

fandarko
11-24-2013, 06:15 AM
I know it's now a very original topic, but nonetheless.

If you're a NBA franchise lucky enough (having tanked or not this season) to end up with the first pick next June, what would be the reasons to go against the hype and pick somebody else?

Wiggins is the most hyped clear-cut no.1 prospect since Lebron and Oden, but is it really such a no-brainer?

In which scenario would you go for Parker or Randle - specific team needs, disbelief as to Wiggins true potential (superstar or all star), amid fan pressure or marketing considerations (if you are not the Jazz, that is)?

Explain.

BlazerRed
11-24-2013, 06:17 AM
ATM the hype has changed from how it used to be due to their play in college. The hype isn't all for Wiggins now, I'd say Parker especially has caught up, and Randle is also getting a lot of hype.

moe94
11-24-2013, 06:23 AM
Wiggins is the most hyped clear-cut no.1 prospect since Lebron and Oden, but is it really such a no-brainer?

Explain.

But that's wrong. Also, Durant was almost as hyped as Oden and a lot of people wanted him to go first.

Howard
Davis
Griffin
Wall

Were all clear cut. Moreso than Wiggins considering the Parker/Randle thing.

Xiao Yao You
11-24-2013, 06:38 AM
Because you decide someone else is actually better despite the hype.

CJ Mustard
11-24-2013, 06:58 AM
ATM the hype has changed from how it used to be due to their play in college. The hype isn't all for Wiggins now, I'd say Parker especially has caught up, and Randle is also getting a lot of hype.
Randle is dominating the college game but he's not long (6'11 wingspan) or super athletic. He's just bigger and stronger than most college kids. There's a high likelihood his game won't translate at all to the pros. For that reason I wouldn't even consider taking him over Wiggins or Parker, regardless of what he does in college.

Random_Guy
11-24-2013, 07:27 AM
Randle is dominating the college game but he's not long (6'11 wingspan) or super athletic. He's just bigger and stronger than most college kids. There's a high likelihood his game won't translate at all to the pros. For that reason I wouldn't even consider taking him over Wiggins or Parker, regardless of what he does in college.
this, its easy to play under the basket if you can just push your way to the hoop. Wont work as well in pro ball since the defenders are much stronger than your average college defenders.

HylianNightmare
11-24-2013, 07:50 AM
because you can get parker instead

GOBB
11-24-2013, 08:37 AM
this, its easy to play under the basket if you can just push your way to the hoop. Wont work as well in pro ball since the defenders are much stronger than your average college defenders.

Julius Randle can play facing the basket and put the ball on the floor. How many PFs can defend his skill set again? His ball handling is better than most PFs in the NBA. That alone gives him an advantage along with him having range. His skill set works in the pros. :confusedshrug:

He's more athletic than Boozer, Aldridge, Thad Young, Monroe, Millsap, Zach Randolph, David Lee, Kevin Love etc etc Who is more athletic at the position than Randle in the pros?

GOBB
11-24-2013, 08:40 AM

If you're a NBA franchise lucky enough (having tanked or not this season) to end up with the first pick next June, what would be the reasons to go against the hype and pick somebody else?

In which scenario would you go for Parker or Randle - specific team needs, disbelief as to Wiggins true potential (superstar or all star), amid fan pressure or marketing considerations (if you are not the Jazz, that is)?

Explain.

Because Julius Randle can be a double double threat at the next level and he compliments Noel perfectly.

BoutPractice
11-24-2013, 08:47 AM
Because there's a strong argument to be made for Embiid as the higher ceiling player - although the bust potential is also, in a way, larger. It's the sort of move that could either make you look like a genius or get you fired. Or alternatively, it could be a Hakeem/Jordan situation (all things kept in proportion, they're not as good as those two) where each pick 'made sense'.

GOBB
11-24-2013, 08:59 AM
Because there's a strong argument to be made for Embiid as the higher ceiling player - although the bust potential is also, in a way, larger. It's the sort of move that could either make you look like a genius or get you fired. Or alternatively, it could be a Hakeem/Jordan situation (all things kept in proportion, they're not as good as those two) where each pick 'made sense'.

Please make that strong argument because unless he dominates college he has no chance goin #1 overall.

fandarko
11-24-2013, 09:00 AM

This

alenleomessi
11-24-2013, 09:31 AM
i watched every kansas game so far, and he seems like a coachable kid, loves his teammates, no ego issues, plays within the system, doesnt force anything, doesnt take bad shots, doesnt make bad passes, they only had one close game so far ( against duke, jabari parker, and he took over )... basically can get to the rim and score/get fouled whenever he wants
yes he is still raw and sometimes looks awkward out there but yet still so good
would probably be a top 15 player in the league right now

GOBB
11-24-2013, 09:36 AM
i watched every kansas game so far, and he seems like a coachable kid, loves his teammates, no ego issues, plays within the system, doesnt force anything, doesnt take bad shots, doesnt make bad passes, they only had one close game so far ( against duke, jabari parker, and he took over )... basically can get to the rim and score/get fouled whenever he wants
yes he is still raw and sometimes looks awkward out there but yet still so good
would probably be a top 15 player in the league right now

You're an idiot.

UConnCeltics
11-24-2013, 09:50 AM
I think Parker will be the best of the class, if the Celtics get a chance to take him I hope they do.

Wavves
11-24-2013, 10:18 AM
Please make that strong argument because unless he dominates college he has no chance goin #1 overall.

True. Embiid could be a #1 pick in many other drafts, but this one, little to no chance.

The JKidd Kid
11-24-2013, 10:21 AM
Why you would take Randle over Wiggins. He's a no nonsense player who always wants to put his team on his back, never backs down from a challenge and has a nonstop competitive motor and he will do anything to win. Also, the only players in the NBA that have his mix of speed and strength and will be able to guard him in the NBA are Lebron and Josh Smith. He has a great face up game, a great post game, handles the ball and runs like a 3, as strong and as big as a 4 and he has a great post up game and his range stretches all the way out to the 3pt line. The guy is an offensive beast and has that superstar mentality that Wiggins just doesn't have.

Why you would take Parker over Wiggins. He's a much more polished player on the offensive side and has the same mentality as Randle. He's athletic, can finish and run on the break, can post up, has a great jump shot, can create his own shot off the dribble, great spot up shooter and he wants to be good on the defensive end even though he isn't right now.

The only thing that Wiggins has over these guys is freak athleticism, he's not a more polished offensive player, not a more polished defensive player and is incredibly passive on the court and is constantly tuning in and out of the game.

IMO he could even drop to 4 or 5 depending on if Exum declares for the draft or if Embiid shows that he will be a dominant two way center instead of just having the potential to be, however I think Embiid is a step below the other 4 prospects.

Haymaker
11-24-2013, 10:31 AM
What I liked about Wiggins (In the Duke game) was his attitude. He wants to win, and showed that he's capable of willing his team to win. The kid can only get better and better with the right development. Here's hoping he doesn't get drafted by a wasteland team like the Wizards or Bobcats.

Purch
11-24-2013, 10:50 AM
Nearly every situation, to be completely honest. When I look at Parker I see a guy with a true Melo like refined offensive arsenal, but with very good ability to both pass, and play within the offense. For someone that young to have such an offensive arsenal, from the moment I saw him I knew he was the best player in this draft.

The JKidd Kid
11-24-2013, 10:57 AM
Nearly every situation, to be completely honest. When I look at Parker I see a guy with a true Melo like refined offensive arsenal, but with very good ability to both pass, and play within the offense. For someone that young to have such an offensive arsenal, from the moment I saw him I knew he was the best player in this draft.

Not to mention the desire to be good on defense and get his team mates involved, something that Melo never showed.

alwaysunny
11-24-2013, 11:24 AM
But that's wrong. Also, Durant was almost as hyped as Oden and a lot of people wanted him to go first.

Howard
Davis
Griffin
Wall

Okafor was the favorite to go #1 in 2004

IGOTGAME
11-24-2013, 11:28 AM
I don't see the Randle hype for number 1. His athletics is vastly overrated. He is a good prospect but enough to be number 1 in this draft.

The more I see of Embidd the more I like him better than Randle.

Horatio33
11-24-2013, 11:29 AM

Howard
Davis
Griffin
Wall

Howard wasn't clear cut. It was flip flopping between Oakafor and him for months.

Go Getter
11-24-2013, 12:07 PM
I just don't know about players that don't come into the league with a clear cut skill.

Wiggins' main asset is his height/length/athleticism
Randle's main asset is his strength/intensity/athleticism

In the NBA I don't know if they can get by on just their god given talents because there are plenty of players that are uber athletic populating benches everywhere.

I'd take Parker because he has show the skillset [mostly a polished J] to become an extremely effective player in a league where shot makers are at a premium.

But then again I may be wrong--evaluating players is a tough job.

veilside23
11-24-2013, 12:16 PM
bookmarked this thread

BoutPractice
11-24-2013, 12:17 PM
I'm not saying he's going first. I'm saying that if I were in a position to draft I would consider taking him first this year already should he declare... on the bet that had he stayed another year, he would've improved enough to be considered at least as impressive a number 1 pick candidate than whoever is going to be number 1 in 2014 (and whoever it is, it's not going to be a 7 foot center). But it's a bet, and one that could backfire spectacularly, of course.

moe94
11-24-2013, 12:35 PM
Melo is the more polished offensive player and is a safer pick than LeBron. Melo's skills translate better to the NBA. Melo is going to win the rookie of the year.

Mayo is the more polished offensive player and is a safer pick than Rose. Mayo's skills will let him produce right away in this league. Mayo is going to win the rookie of the year.

Okafor is more ready for the NBA. Howard is a project. Okafor is proven against the top collegiate talent in the world and has NBA game right now!

Davis is Camby 2 - Electric Boolagoo, at best.

Crow is going to be a huge dish next season. :oldlol:

and one that could backfire spectacularly, of course.

The Hunger Games films have a longer history than his time with a basketball.

iamgine
11-24-2013, 01:30 PM

Explain.
The problem is he's not that clear cut as of right now. Parker and Randle has gained significant ground.

The JKidd Kid
11-24-2013, 02:13 PM
The problem is he's not that clear cut as of right now. Parker and Randle has gained significant ground.

Embiid is also beginning to make a serious case for that #1 pick. If you don't believe me, watch his highlights against Iona and tell me that Embiid isn't one of the best 2 way big man prospects we've seen.

Qwyjibo
11-24-2013, 02:18 PM
Embiid is also beginning to make a serious case for that #1 pick. If you don't believe me, watch his highlights against Iona and tell me that Embiid isn't one of the best 2 way big man prospects we've seen.
The skill gap between him and the other 3 is huge right now, IMO. He may have the highest ceiling but also the lowest probability of reaching it, compared to the other 3. I wouldn't risk it.

The JKidd Kid
11-24-2013, 02:23 PM
The skill gap between him and the other 3 is huge right now, IMO. He may have the highest ceiling but also the lowest probability of reaching it, compared to the other 3. I wouldn't risk it.

I disagree, I feel like Wiggins is the biggest project out of the top 5 in this draft. Embiid already has a decent post game and is a great rebounder and defender. He also has a good jump shot and runs the floor better than any center currently in the NBA. Wiggins still has an inconsistent jump shot, an inadequate handle, lack of defensive fundamentals and a questionable motor. He's probably the most athletic player we have seen in the last couple of years but that's really all he has going for him.

Le Shaqtus
11-24-2013, 02:28 PM
I would draft Wiggins purely on his potential, his body is perfect for the game and if develops the tools he can be the next big thing.

Grinder
11-24-2013, 02:28 PM
I've seen people throw around Lebron comparisons for Wiggins which I think is ridiculous. Apart from being freakishly athletic, there's not a ton of simliarities. Wiggins doesn't have anywhere near the passing ability and handles that Lebron had at that age.

The JKidd Kid
11-24-2013, 02:33 PM
I've seen people throw around Lebron comparisons for Wiggins which I think is ridiculous. Apart from being freakishly athletic, there's not a ton of simliarities. Wiggins doesn't have anywhere near the passing ability and handles that Lebron had at that age.

Or rebounding or defense or decision making or strength. There really is no comparison other than the fact that they were not inconsistent shooters, I'll give you that.