PDA

View Full Version : Who do you choose to start a franchise with: Stephen Curry or Kyrie Irving?

WWRWestbrookDo?
11-24-2013, 09:53 PM
We always get the obvious Durant vs LeBron comparisions or even Westbrook vs Rose but I think Curry vs Irving would be a good comparison.

Curry
Pros
-probably the best shooter in the game
-good vision
-high basketball iq
-maximizes his abilities
-good handles
-3 pointers

Cons
-bad ankle
-doesn't get to the line as much as you would like
-when shot doesn't fall in the 4th. isn't explosive enough to get past 1st defender.

Irving
Pros
-good/great shooter/scorer
-able to get to the basket
-good playmaking skills
-clutch
-great handles

Cons
-injury prone?
-hasn't had a winning season yet
-no defense?

I think I would lean towards Irving. I would want someone that shoot and drive/get to the line in the 4th.

Rik Smits' Hair
11-24-2013, 09:57 PM
Curry. He's a lights out shooter. I could find a serviceable PG elsewhere.

The JKidd Kid
11-24-2013, 09:57 PM
Is this even a question? The only thing Kyrie has over Curry is marketing.

moe94
11-24-2013, 10:00 PM
One 12 game season turns Curry into the GOAT and Kyrie into overrated garbage.

Jameerthefear
I hear about Kyrie's leadership problems and idk if I want him to be my franchise player.

Brook(lyn)Lopez
You are screwed with either because Curry has glass ankles, and Irving is just... glass and really overrated, but he's slowly being exposed as a low impact player and a malcontent.

If either could stay healthy, it is easily Curry.

Jameerthefear
11-24-2013, 10:02 PM
You are screwed with either because Curry has glass ankles, and Irving is just... glass and really overrated, but he's slowly being exposed as a low impact player and a malcontent.

If either could stay healthy, it is easily Curry.
Curry doesn't have bad injury problems.

Dr. Cheesesteak
11-24-2013, 10:02 PM
Yes it is a question. Kyrie is more dynamic than Curry, too, not just more marketable. Though, Curry is pretty marketable in his own right.

I'd probably pick Kyrie. Now, I think if I were picking a team in some private league, I'd pick Curry. I'd rather have him on my team. But I'd rather have Kyrie for my franchise if I were to truly think about the big picture.

RedBlackAttack
11-24-2013, 10:03 PM
Something that needs to be taken into consideration... deep consideration...

Kyrie Irving is 21 years old. Curry is 25.

At Kyrie's age, Curry was still in college. Kyrie is averaging 22/6.5/4 in the NBA.

RedBlackAttack
11-24-2013, 10:04 PM
Interesting perspective. Only thing we know for sure is that both are better than Deron Williams.

The JKidd Kid
11-24-2013, 10:05 PM
Interesting perspective. Only thing we know for sure is that both are better than Deron Williams.

Yep DWills been sucking dick lately. Doesn't change the fact that Kyrie is more overrated than Blake Griffin ever was.

WWRWestbrookDo?
11-24-2013, 10:13 PM

Yes it is a real question. Have seen the 4th quarter when Curry can't get his shot to drop? He's unable to get to the line that's my concern with him.

moe94
11-24-2013, 10:17 PM
Yep DWills been sucking dick lately. Doesn't change the fact that Kyrie is more overrated than Blake Griffin ever was.
Show me another 20 year old PG that remotely approached Kyrie.

I'll wait for this list.

The JKidd Kid
11-24-2013, 10:19 PM
Yes it is a real question. Have seen the 4th quarter when Curry can't get his shot to drop? He's unable to get to the line that's my concern with him.

Have you seen Kyrie attempt to run an offense and create for others? He looks like he's never ran a pick and roll in his life. At least Curry is a legitimate PG, Kyrie is just a undersized SG with handles.

RedBlackAttack
11-24-2013, 10:21 PM
Well, the good part is Kyrie is still incredibly young. He's got four years to become as good as Curry is right now. That's a long time and the gap isn't that wide.

I'd agree Curry is the better overall player right now. He's been phenomenal the last season and a half. But guys rarely come basically out of high school as prepared for the NBA as Kyrie Irving.

He's trying to work himself into becoming a more complete overall player this year and it has resulted in some bumps in the road (plus learning a new system). But, if going through a rough stretch results in better defense and better playmaking, it's worth people calling him overrated for now.

Btw, a guy like Klay Thompson who can stretch the floor and keep defenses honest is really what Kyrie needs for the player he is right now. The lack of shooting on the current Cavs roster outside of Irving has made for tough going for Kyrie trying to slash to the basket.

JimmyMcAdocious
I like Curry's game better. But I would choose Kyrie because he has more trade value and I would build off what I get back for him.

Dr. Cheesesteak

At Kyrie's age, Curry was still in college. Kyrie is averaging 22/6.5/4 in the NBA.

Show me another 20 year old PG that remotely approached Kyrie.

I'll wait for this list.
forgot to mention this too, in regards to the big picture consideration. I love Curry, but I think his ceiling has been reached. He's an elite shooter who can run a decent point. I think Kyrie has yet to reach his potential (clearly, I'm sure we all do here), which of course most ppl project to be in the god-tier.

RedBlackAttack
11-24-2013, 10:28 PM
I'm not sure why people talk about Kyrie and Curry as if they're at the same stage of their respective careers. They're not even close, really.

Kyrie was younger than many guys taken in this past draft.

chips93
11-24-2013, 10:29 PM
Have you seen Kyrie attempt to run an offense and create for others? He looks like he's never ran a pick and roll in his life. At least Curry is a legitimate PG, Kyrie is just a undersized SG with handles.

:roll:

oh you gotta be kidding me. kyrie gets tunnel vision at times but hes amazing in the pick and roll.

moe94
11-24-2013, 10:32 PM
I'm not sure why people talk about Kyrie and Curry as if they're at the same stage of their respective careers. They're not even close, really.

Kyrie was younger than many guys taken in this past draft.

Kyrie at 20 is comparable to 25 year old Curry.

RedBlackAttack
11-24-2013, 10:35 PM
Exactly.

The kid put up 23/6/4/1.5 on 45/40/85 as a 20 year old. Do people understand how rare that is for a point guard?

He came into the league at 19, just started his third season and has a career average is 21 points a game on 46% shooting. That's a pretty unique talent.

Cali Syndicate
11-24-2013, 11:22 PM

Would you say two or even three seasons playing division 1 ball is an equivalent to two seasons in the nba?

Who would you say has had the better learning curve, 21 year old Kyrie or 21 year old curry?

moe94
11-24-2013, 11:27 PM
Would you say two or even three seasons playing division 1 ball is an equivalent to two seasons in the nba?

Who would you say has had the better learning curve, 21 year old Kyrie or 21 year old curry?

Now we're faulting people for being NBA ready at a quicker rate?

Cali Syndicate
11-24-2013, 11:41 PM
Now we're faulting people for being NBA ready at a quicker rate?

Curry was an exceptionally good player at age 21. He made significant strides in becoming a more well rounded pg in his second and third season, more so than he ever would have staying a fourth or fifth season in division 1.

Irving made huge strides from his rookie to sophomore season, strides he feasibly wouldn't have made had he stayed at duke.

Irving at his age is better than curry was, I'm not arguing that point. Nba serves as a far more favorable learning junction for players. That's all I was getting at.

WWRWestbrookDo?
11-24-2013, 11:46 PM

Don't forget Kyrie still has a lot of room to grow. He's barely 21

Sarcastic
11-24-2013, 11:48 PM
Kyrie is the better player, so him.

moe94
11-24-2013, 11:49 PM
Speaking of guard growth, is Tyreke Evans the GOAT tease? Just what happened there?

G-train
11-24-2013, 11:49 PM

Well Kyrie is 21 and having a worse season than 21 year old Curry.

So all you can really do is compare them right now as players, and Curry is better.

G-train
11-24-2013, 11:50 PM
Don't forget Kyrie still has a lot of room to grow. He's barely 21

Stretching 'barely'

WWRWestbrookDo?
11-24-2013, 11:51 PM
I like Curry's game better. But I would choose Kyrie because he has more trade value and I would build off what I get back for him.

How many franchise players do you have on your list ...better than Curry and Irving??????????

WWRWestbrookDo?
11-24-2013, 11:52 PM
Stretching 'barely'
okay he's 21.

Cali Syndicate
11-24-2013, 11:58 PM

So all you can really do is compare them right now as players, and Curry is better.

At 21, rookie Curry had a 42 point game, almost a triple double. A 36 point game, triple double. Five 30 point double-doubles and eight 20 point double-doubles. Rookie curry was pretty amazing. Overlooked a bit, probably cause no one watches golden state.

no pun intended
11-24-2013, 11:58 PM
The one who made a playoff run.

Darius
11-25-2013, 12:18 AM
This is a good question.

Curry is better now but Kyrie is 4 years younger.

Curry also has a much better team around him.

I'd take Irving.

Meticode
11-25-2013, 12:28 AM
I feel Irving is overall the better player, but Curry is in a better position to excel so he's going to be more efficient right now. Curry has a capable shooter in Thompson and a legit second option with David Lee getting 20/10 a game. Right now the Cavaliers have nothing remotely close to that.

outbreak
11-25-2013, 12:29 AM
injuries aside probably curry, factoring in injuries and age I'd take Kyrie

fpliii
11-25-2013, 12:31 AM
I'm really not a Curry guy, IMO he's been severely, severely overrated for the past year +.

I might just be having some difficulty coming to terms with the fact that the three has become the weapon it is in today's league, though.

Until I have an awakening of some sort, give me Kyrie.

RedBlackAttack
11-25-2013, 12:58 AM
Based on what? Who was "better" is pretty arbitrary, but Curry 14 games into his season at 21 was averaging 10.2 points, 5 assists and 3 rebounds on 45/75/42. His team was 5-9.

Kyrie is averaging 21.4 points, 7 assists and 4 rebounds on 43/81/35. His team is 4-10.

The respective numbers really aren't close (nor is the defensive attention each drew) and team records were nearly identical. Unless you are comparing Curry's complete 2009-10 season to 14 games of Kyrie in 2013, which would make no sense.

RedBlackAttack
11-25-2013, 01:07 AM
At 21, rookie Curry had a 42 point game, almost a triple double. A 36 point game, triple double. Five 30 point double-doubles and eight 20 point double-doubles. Rookie curry was pretty amazing. Overlooked a bit, probably cause no one watches golden state.
We are 14 games into this season and Irving already has games of 41 points (with a buzzer beater to win), 39 points/12 assists/5 rebounds, 29/8/6, 28/6, 18/10, 10/9...

Come on, guys... I know people love a good comparison, but Curry was not as good as Kyrie at 21. Not many guys are, in fairness.

moe94
11-25-2013, 01:34 AM
Come on, guys... I know people love a good comparison, but Curry was not as good as Kyrie at 21. Not many guys are, in fairness.

This place legit believes Tony Parker and Rondo have cases for best PG.:oldlol:

jdm_dc_fan
11-25-2013, 02:30 AM
From the words of uncle drew, "The one who gets buckets." Curry.

Inferno
11-25-2013, 02:50 AM
Curry. But why has Kyrie become so hated on this board?

moe94
11-25-2013, 02:53 AM
The vast majority of the users here correlate team wins with individual talent. The other ones use stats and he seems to have regressed. He's getting shit on from two sides.

Uncle Drew
11-25-2013, 02:55 AM
Kyrie getting haters is nothing but a good sign. Good players get hated. So the more haters he gets, the better he is.

WWRWestbrookDo?
02-17-2014, 12:50 AM
probably not fair to bump this now since Irving just won the MVP for the all star game. But I think a lot of people don't get to watch Irving and just go by sh!tty streams or what they read or highlight videos.

People that chose Curry do you still go with Curry (your only lying to yourself if you had to check what you initially answers haha)

I still can't decide.