PDA

View Full Version : Mike D'Antoni is a good coach

Teanett
11-25-2013, 09:17 AM
:applause:

iDunk
11-25-2013, 09:49 AM
Only if he has the type of roster that will play to his system. He's the worst coach in history at adjusting.

The defense this season is shocking with a past his prime Gasol playing Center though.

Nelson14
11-25-2013, 10:18 AM
like stated, with the right pieces or players that he can just adjust to play the role that he needs he can be a very good coach. i am happy to see the lakers doing alright, i can't wait to see it when cutebe comes back

Teanett
11-25-2013, 10:23 AM
Only if he has the type of roster that will play to his system. He's the worst coach in history at adjusting.

The defense this season is shocking with a past his prime Gasol playing Center though.

or it might be melo and dwight (and possibly kobe) who are unwilling to adjust?

niko
11-25-2013, 10:41 AM

His style marginalizes star players and defense. It's basically a moneyball philosophy, shoot more, get more possessions than the other team, and therefore you can win with a lower % of efficiency because 3's are worth more than 2's and you get more shots off. The problem is since it doesn't emphasize defense it goes to hell when games are important. It also goes to hell because when things slow down to 1 on 1, he's essentially made his star scorers stretch 3's or 4's. If he was the Pacer coach for example, George would be parked on the 3 point line waiting for Hill (a weaker player) to give him the ball.

It works much better as an underdog philosophy, and in the regular season.

Fresh Kid
11-25-2013, 10:47 AM
he had his time with phoenix when nash and young amare was there, now it would be hard to lead his team to tha damn semis:lol

imdaman99
11-25-2013, 10:55 AM
he does better with scrubs than stars. well nash was a star, but he played his system perfectly.

iDunk
11-25-2013, 11:10 AM
That's a big list of players though.

D'Antoni doesn't mesh well with stars in general (with the exception of Nash/Amare)

gts
11-25-2013, 12:32 PM
:lol Bitter Knicks fans in this thread

niko
11-25-2013, 12:55 PM
:lol Bitter Knicks fans in this thread
What has anyone said false? He does better with weaker players. Big stars he has issues with. He sees no value in defensive bigs or iso players.

He's not a bad coach but his limitations are real. He will play his guys into the ground, and he doesn't think defense is important.

Teanett
11-25-2013, 01:36 PM
That's a big list of players though.

D'Antoni doesn't mesh well with stars in general (with the exception of Nash/Amare)

melo and dwight have clashed with other coaches before.
other players who played well under d'antoni include marion and joe johnson; both are not known as "d'antoni-players".
i dont think it has anything to do with his so called "system".
stan van gundy played high pick'n'roll small ball with dwight in orlando and they were successful too.

Droid101
11-25-2013, 01:42 PM
What has anyone said false? He does better with weaker players. Big stars he has issues with. .
Yeah, Steve Nash and Amar'e Stoudemire were always known as weak role players.

Rooster
11-25-2013, 01:56 PM
Yes he is but one vital thing that I don't like about him is he does not adjust and that's very important in the playoff. He is really stubborn to do it and you can get away with that in long regular season but in the playoff, good teams will make you pay.

niko
11-25-2013, 02:03 PM
Yeah, Steve Nash and Amar'e Stoudemire were always known as weak role players.
They fit his system. If you don't fit , he can't use you.

tomtucker
11-25-2013, 02:07 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-sdYIGsZ8dHg/TpPwRiDI2VI/AAAAAAAABVM/1MVvqN22iiE/s1600/meralcosucks+government+is+great+for+me+to+poop+on .jpg

El Kabong
11-25-2013, 02:10 PM
If you guys can find it, you should read a book called "Sevens Seconds or Less" by Jack McCallum. Book about D'Antoni and him coaching the Suns in 05-06.

Teanett
11-25-2013, 02:30 PM
They fit his system. If you don't fit , he can't use you.

let me rephrase that:
if you're unselfish, you can play in the system.

IGOTGAME
11-25-2013, 02:32 PM
let me rephrase that:

not true. certain skill sets don't fit(wing slasher/scorer or low post players of all positions). Michael Jordan would hate it there. Any wing player that is a scorer would not succeed or would play below there talent level under Mike D.

Teanett
11-25-2013, 02:52 PM
not true. certain skill sets don't fit(wing slasher/scorer or low post players of all positions). Michael Jordan would hate it there. Any wing player that is a scorer would not succeed or would play below there talent level under Mike D.

i dont know. joe johnson and marion did well. michael jordan would thrive in it if he would commit to it.
it's a fast paced offense that favors athleticicm and creates space and mismatches, wether you exploit that by shooting threes or going to the basket is up to the player.
you would have to be willing to share the ball and share shots.

it definately doesnt feature many isos or post ups, but because of defenive rule changes, 90's style basketball would not be as effective.

Real Men Wear Green
11-25-2013, 03:13 PM
He took a team with the best sg, the best center, and a number of quality roleplayers to the 8th seed. That isn't good coaching, a good coach gets the most out of his team.

niko
11-25-2013, 03:17 PM
let me rephrase that:
No, not true. If you are a defensive minded player with a crappy jumpshot, it's a problem. And his system isn't perfect, but it is never tweaked. I don't even mind his system if he tweaked it if necessary, but he acts like tweaking it would be an insult to even consider.

Teanett
11-25-2013, 03:24 PM
No, not true. If you are a defensive minded player with a crappy jumpshot, it's a problem.

tyson chandler
shawn marion
jordan hill

niko
11-25-2013, 03:28 PM
tyson chandler
shawn marion

I know your trolling the Knicks requires repping anything anti Knick, but the Knicks under D'Antoni ranged from garbage to average, and in doing so he broke some of our players with his ridiculous minutes. He can be the greatest coach in the world to you, and knowing full well how much Woodson seems in over his head at times, i still like him more than MDA.

Teanett
11-25-2013, 03:36 PM
I know your trolling the Knicks requires repping anything anti Knick, but the Knicks under D'Antoni ranged from garbage to average, and in doing so he broke some of our players with his ridiculous minutes. He can be the greatest coach in the world to you, and knowing full well how much Woodson seems in over his head at times, i still like him more than MDA.

eh, this has nothing to do with woodson.
although it could, but i dont even want to compare the lakers style of play to the knicks pick up game offense...

d'antoni didnt "break" any player with his ridiculous minutes. sure, his style of basketball is physically demanding, but maybe some players arent in good enough shape to play it? *cough...melo*

RoundMoundOfReb
11-25-2013, 03:43 PM
He's terrible at ego-management.

Mr. Jabbar
11-25-2013, 03:43 PM
if u bet against the lakers

niko
11-25-2013, 03:58 PM
eh, this has nothing to do with woodson.
although it could, but i dont even want to compare the lakers style of play to the knicks pick up game offense...

d'antoni didnt "break" any player with his ridiculous minutes. sure, his style of basketball is physically demanding, but maybe some players arent in good enough shape to play it? *cough...melo*
Melo was fine. Amare completely cracked from 40 mpg. He broke Lin down when he was the best thing that Knicks had. We played a 7/8 man rotation 40mpg even if the game was decided.

I told you that you are just trolling, you didn't even watch the Knicks if you can't come up with one player he broke down considering how big the names are of the two he broke.

Teanett
11-25-2013, 04:16 PM
Melo was fine. Amare completely cracked from 40 mpg. He broke Lin down when he was the best thing that Knicks had. We played a 7/8 man rotation 40mpg even if the game was decided.

I told you that you are just trolling, you didn't even watch the Knicks if you can't come up with one player he broke down considering how big the names are of the two he broke.

you're talking our of you kunt, niko.
amar'e knees broke when he was 23. d'antoni never played him 40mpg, not even in phoenix.
jeremy lin? it's d'antoni's fault lin got injured? a 23 year old broke down by playing basketball for two months???

what else, niko?
you wanna blame him for tracy mcgrady and antonio mcdyess too? how bout 9/11??? you lil pussey.

i just respect the man for what he's done with phoenix and with the lakers now. after all, one can credit him for revolutionizing how basketball is played today AND he coached the knicks to their 1st playoffs in a decade.

IGOTGAME
11-25-2013, 06:12 PM
i dont know. joe johnson and marion did well. michael jordan would thrive in it if he would commit to it.
it's a fast paced offense that favors athleticicm and creates space and mismatches, wether you exploit that by shooting threes or going to the basket is up to the player.
you would have to be willing to share the ball and share shots.

it definately doesnt feature many isos or post ups, but because of defenive rule changes, 90's style basketball would not be as effective.

Lakers won several championship in the triple post offense. Although it is a continuity offense, it features a ton of isos. Guarantee those Kobe/Pau lakers win nothing with Mike D.

JM720
11-25-2013, 06:18 PM
No he's not. He know one way, and if he does not have the players to run it he's lost.

Blue&Orange
11-25-2013, 06:47 PM
I thought this was a joke thread, then i saw the op :lol

i just respect the man for what he's done with phoenix and with the lakers now. after all, one can credit him for revolutionizing how basketball is played today AND he coached the knicks to their 1st playoffs in a decade.

Yes i also respect utter failure with talent loaded teams.

This retard complains like the female he is about Melo iso's but had no problem with D'Antoni system, basically 4 guys behind the 3 point line and Amare ALWAYS ISOLATED on the paint. This retard thinks players moving away is ISO, but players not moving away because they are already away behind the 3pt line isn't ISO :roll:

Lebron stans and Kobe stans are already pathetic , but what about a D'Antoni stan? :roll: How pathetic and retard can you be?

ZenMaster
11-25-2013, 09:25 PM
I thought this was a joke thread, then i saw the op :lol

Yes i also respect utter failure with talent loaded teams.

This retard complains like the female he is about Melo iso's but had no problem with D'Antoni system, basically 4 guys behind the 3 point line and Amare ALWAYS ISOLATED on the paint. This retard thinks players moving away is ISO, but players not moving away because they are already away behind the 3pt line isn't ISO :roll:

Lebron stans and Kobe stans are already pathetic , but what about a D'Antoni stan? :roll: How pathetic and retard can you be?

That's not a system but a formation called 4-1, the system would be what those 4 players outside the 3pt line and the guy inside does together in a cordinated effort to create scoring opportunities.

Teanett
11-26-2013, 05:36 PM
Lakers won several championship in the triple post offense. Although it is a continuity offense, it features a ton of isos. Guarantee those Kobe/Pau lakers win nothing with Mike D.

never did i say he's a legendary coach like phil

HomieWeMajor
11-26-2013, 05:39 PM
He's responsible for the statpadding culture in the league right now.

Teanett
11-26-2013, 05:40 PM
That's not a system but a formation called 4-1, the system would be what those 4 players outside the 3pt line and the guy inside does together in a cordinated effort to create scoring opportunities.

and if you look around the nba the last couple of years, many teams deploy a variation of the 4-1 as a set starting point to their offense. some of the best teams do: heat, spurs, mavs, dubs

that's due to d'antoni's suns

Scholar
11-26-2013, 05:48 PM
Mike D'Antoni sucks at adjusting to his players. He expects the players to adjust their game to his system.

STATUTORY
11-26-2013, 05:52 PM
Mike D'Antoni sucks at adjusting to his players. He expects the players to adjust their game to his system.
he's a very dogmatic coach, a fundamentalist if you will. He has his own conception and vision of how a basketball team should operate and is completely inflexible in conforming or coaching to the personel he actually has on his roster. So if you allow him to select the players he wants, like the lakers did this offseason, then he can take a seemingly untalented squad and overachieve. But if you give him a thoroughbred team that doesn't fit his philosophy, then he will **** it up bad, see lakers last season.

So depends on what you need, he can be very good or very bad.

IncarceratedBob
11-26-2013, 06:13 PM
Steve Nash was created by MDA. Nash is a system PG, nothing more.