PDA

View Full Version : The Science Behind Running Style Leading to Injuries (LeBron, Wade, Rose, Westbrook)

Big Cheese
11-25-2013, 01:38 PM
[Quote]How LeBron James and Dwyane Wade run

March, 3, 2011
Abbott By Henry Abbott

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0228/nba_g_ljames_foot_576.jpg
Many runners land on their heels, but an expert notes that LeBron James is an exception.

The other day, I wrote about how the book "Born to Run" has changed my running style.

Proponents of such changes make big claims -- that running the "right way" can make you faster, more efficient and less injury prone. It almost sounds like snake oil ... but it comes with a fairly big, and growing, body of evidence in support.

And yet very few NBA players seem to be part of the new running form movement.

Dr. Nicholas Romanov is one of the movement's high priests. He espouses a method of running called POSE, which you can learn about in this BBC report, for instance. His son and colleague Severin says they are also very proud of the work they do now with the U.S. military, advising soldiers how to travel long distances on foot, carrying heavy loads, while minimizing energy waste and injuries. You can learn a lot about their work from their YouTube channel.

While they have not worked with NBA players (and they are frank that they would love to) the Miami-based Romanovs are also basketball fans. Nicholas played for his university in the Soviet Union, and watched any film he could of the early NBA. (He says that Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain -- who were both trained in track and field -- were the only NBA players he has seen with truly excellent running form.) Severin is a long-time Heat fan, who often attends games, and has long had concerns about Dwyane Wade's running form.

The Romanovs have lots of ideas about how NBA players might move more efficiently to reduce injury and improve performance. But the most basic of their ideas is that, while players might not want to tinker with what they do on offense and defense, at the very least they might want to consider optimizing their stride when they are under no pressure running up and down the court. That's something they do a lot, but can work on without having it mess with their overall game.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0228/nba_g_waded_run_576.jpg
Dr. Nicholas Romanov says Wade's striking with his heel has potential to diminish the guard's career.

Dr. Romanov spent some time examining the photographs you see here, and e-mailed thoughts about the running forms of James and Wade:

On two pictures, of two great basketball players from Miami Heat and NBA, caught at the same moment of moving forward with the ball, we can see two different ways of running. It is possible to say, that it could look coincidental, but, at the same time, it is very likely that these pictures represent the underlying inefficiencies of each respective athlete in the way they move.

It is obvious that LeBron James' landing and keeping his body weight over the forefoot or ball of the foot presents a very dynamic body position moving forward with acceleration by falling forward from his support foot. From a physics point of view, his body is in a favorable position to harness the ever-present force of gravity most advantageously in order to move forward, or in any other direction.

This body position allows LeBron to use gratuitous forces like gravity, ground reaction force (GFR) and muscle-tendon elasticity to his advantage to engage his body weight into the action of moving. Consequently it allows him to reduce muscular tension and impact on all support tissues.

In contrast, Dwyane Wade is landing on the heel in front of the body with a dorsoflexed foot, which acts like a brake to his forward momentum with every stride.

Even at the first glance, these pictures are sending a quite simple and clear message: the first player is moving more efficiently and freer, and the second player inhibits his forward movement with every stride and game maneuver (moving sideways, changing directions). We can conclude that Dwyane Wade could be a far more efficient athlete if he could change his support more freely from the forefoot, a more favorable position for movement.

The other conclusion arriving from these pictures is that the second player (Dwyane Wade) has a higher chance to sustain an injury to his knee and ankle. Judging by his body position as he runs, we can infer that there is a lot of excess stress being placed on those parts of the body. His knee braces may be a result of his technique inefficiencies. This kind of movement could overload the foot and decrease ankle instability, not to talk of reducing the mobility level of the athlete.

Going through this short observation of running technique of elite basketball players, we can see that technique of running is not a privilege of athletes at the elite level, and that they are as vulnerable there as everyone else and, therefore, they need to improve their skill in this area.

Considering how much players run during their games, it is quite clear, the value of the efficient and skillful running in basketball. Developing running skill (technique) is very promising approach, which could extend their career, health, team success and fan

nathanjizzle
11-25-2013, 01:41 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/25570/how-lebron-james-and-dwyane-wade-run

From early october

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BV302eLCAAASEVg.png

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BV35smOCcAEQ_dN.png

From The Day of Rose's Injury

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BZvro3LCIAA9ucQ.png

:confusedshrug:

http://i44.tinypic.com/11bn1ox.jpg

this is the guy that wrote the article, he sure looks like he has alot of experience playing sports.

Boomerang
11-25-2013, 01:52 PM
Interesting, I try to picture what I do when I'm playing basketball, and I think most players do both.

When you acelerate and try to push the ball forward, you will be on your forefeet, like Lebron. When you are slowing down to trying to change directions, you will use the back.

Here's a pic of Wade i found, look at his backfoot.
http://images.morris.com/images/athens/mdControlled/cms/2011/04/19/816832115.jpg

It's the toes on the ground.
It's different when he's accelerating.

So this study is eh..

scm5
11-25-2013, 01:59 PM
I read a story one time about Stephen Curry's ankles and how his injuries could be attributed to the way he moves/stops rather than having weak ankles.

I can't find it, but I remember it pretty clearly. I think there's something to this.

kwajo
11-25-2013, 02:25 PM
Anyone who runs long distances knows this kind of thing already. I train as a long-distance runner and adventure racer and landing with your midfoot or forefoot is MUCH safer than heel-striking when it comes to reducing the chance of injury to your knees and ankles.

chocolatethunder
11-25-2013, 02:36 PM
I can try and shed a little light on this as I am a competitive runner. I didn't start running until and injury to my back made me have to stop playing basketball. A couple of things first.

Almost all (but there are a few exceptions) successful runners are midfoot/forefoot strikers. Steve Prefontaine was one of these exceptions as was Dathan Ritzenhein (but he is now a forefoot striker). From my own experience it most certainly does make a huge difference in terms of injury. Once I became a mid/forefoot striker I stopped getting injured. This is of course anecdotal, however there are several studies to support this.

Secondly, any competitive runner knows what POSE is and who Romanov is. I will say that he's not necessarily respected or revered in the running community. It's not that his message is bad but runners in general don't like the way he sells himself and his "technique."

This is very important. Photos don't really say that much about your running technique. Video is much more telling and in basketball this is important as someone already mentioned that slowing down you could very possibly be using your heels to slow down. Your foot goes through so many movements as you run that photos can be very misleading.

Shoes are a huge problem. Basketball shoes have a tendency to have a larger heel to toe drop than a trainer or certainly a racing flat. When you have a high heel to toe drop this will cause you to run on your heels because as you outstretch your front leg in your stride and you have a larger heel, your heel will hit first in a lot of cases.

PizzamanIRL
11-25-2013, 02:38 PM
Bullshit. So according to this guy, LeBron runs on his toes basically.

He suited his article by showing LeBrons foot taking off but shows the others in the landing part of a stride. I'm sure if there was a gif of the LeBron situation you would see he looks the same as the others when he is landing.

RoundMoundOfReb
11-25-2013, 02:40 PM
Interesting stuff.

OT, but is LeBron bow legged?

inclinerator
11-25-2013, 02:45 PM

He suited his article by showing LeBrons foot taking off but shows the others in the landing part of a stride. I'm sure if there was a gif of the LeBron situation you would see he looks the same as the others when he is landing.
most sprinters run on their toes or upper foot

ThickassGlasses
11-25-2013, 02:45 PM

Did you read anyone's post?

The majority of people don't want to land on their heels, there are exceptions just like there are exceptions to jumpshots (Reggie Miller anyone), but landing on your heel will cause more problems than you want to deal with.

That being said, I don't know how a strength and conditioning coach of a pro basketball team hasn't attempted to fix this issue.

And yes, as someone mentioned and has been talked about to death in some threads, basketball shoes are horrible. They hold the ankle in place and force mobility to be generated in the next joint up the body, the knee. The ankle is made to be mobile, not stable. The knee is made to be stable, not mobile.

leMVP
11-25-2013, 02:49 PM
It's all about transmitting your body weight through your legs, when you jump don't land on your heels, land on your toes, this will lessens the impact on your knees and your spine.

chocolatethunder
11-25-2013, 02:52 PM
most sprinters run on their toes or upper foot
Of course and so do distance guys.

chocolatethunder
11-25-2013, 02:54 PM
http://i44.tinypic.com/11bn1ox.jpg

this is the guy that wrote the article, he sure looks like he has alot of experience playing sports.
That's not who wrote the article. This is who wrote it. Not that it makes a difference but at least this dude looks like a distance runner.
http://search.espn.go.com/henry-abbott/

NattyPButter
11-25-2013, 02:54 PM
Lebron and Westbrook run like track and field runners. I remember this guy on my track team blowing out his knee and he ran flat footed. Dude was kind of fast for a flat footed runner.

chocolatethunder
11-25-2013, 02:56 PM
Did you read anyone's post?

And yes, as someone mentioned and has been talked about to death in some threads, basketball shoes are horrible. They hold the ankle in place and force mobility to be generated in the next joint up the body, the knee. The ankle is made to be mobile, not stable. The knee is made to be stable, not mobile.
For sure. I can't really play anymore because of my back but when I play basketball I wear my XC flats to play in. No heel to toe drop and no arch support. Basketball shoes are awful.

BarberSchool
11-25-2013, 03:08 PM
For sure. I can't really play anymore because of my back but when I play basketball I wear my XC flats to play in. No heel to toe drop and no arch support. Basketball shoes are awful.What is the best cross trainer or mid-top court shoe, in terms of kinetic design, in your opinion ? Where do Air Max 90's fit in your equation ? How about Griffeys and Bo Jackson's ??

secund2nun
11-25-2013, 03:45 PM
Running on your heels is unnatural. We are naturally supposed to run with the front of our feets, so it does make a big difference. Heel running= injuries.

Mr. Jabbar
11-25-2013, 03:52 PM
traveling seems to be good for staying injury free too

secund2nun
11-25-2013, 03:54 PM
traveling seems to be good for staying injury free too

Getting carried by elite front courts also keeps you injury free :lol

Mr. Jabbar
11-25-2013, 03:57 PM
Getting carried by elite stacked teams also keeps you injury free :lol

no doubt dude

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
11-25-2013, 04:20 PM
The only problem I have with staying on tiptoes is that it reduces your ankle movement even more. Especially in bball shoes.

FKAri
11-25-2013, 04:52 PM
The only problem I have with staying on tiptoes is that it reduces your ankle movement even more. Especially in bball shoes.

The shoes need to change.

chips93
11-25-2013, 05:01 PM
the thing about wade's technique seems misguided.

he lands on his heel because he takes big huge strides. so it helps when hes trying to beat his man, if he can get his foot passed him.

if you want to land on your toes and not your heels, your stride just wont be as long.

so wade's running form might lead to injuries, but it does have its advantages.

chocolatethunder
11-25-2013, 05:12 PM
What is the best cross trainer or mid-top court shoe, in terms of kinetic design, in your opinion ? Where do Air Max 90's fit in your equation ? How about Griffeys and Bo Jackson's ??
I don't know anything about current basketball shoes unfortunately. I only know about running shoes anymore. Sorry about that.

buddha
11-25-2013, 05:13 PM
Running on your heels is unnatural. We are naturally supposed to run with the front of our feets, so it does make a big difference. Heel running= injuries.

this is true. if you try to run barefoot you will not be landing on your heels.

chocolatethunder
11-25-2013, 05:14 PM
the thing about wade's technique seems misguided.

he lands on his heel because he takes big huge strides. so it helps when hes trying to beat his man, if he can get his foot passed him.

if you want to land on your toes and not your heels, your stride just wont be as long.

so wade's running form might lead to injuries, but it does have its advantages.
Well overstriding isn't any good for you either but I actually don't know that Wade really lands on his heels. Those pics don't really say much to me.

OhNoTimNoSho
11-25-2013, 07:55 PM
This is some armchair theoretical science bullshit, They are world class athletes trained by world class trainers, everything they do is already the best.

Dr. Romanov spent some time examining the photographs you see here, and e-mailed thoughts about the running forms of James and Wade:

Wow the whole article is based on some random "Dr" looking at 2 f*cking pictures. Thats right 2. Pictures. Like static photographs. And emailing some thoughts. Oh hes also promoting his website about running correctly.

I hope none of you believe this shit.

rknine15
11-25-2013, 10:21 PM
It's called forefoot running....

catquickspider
11-25-2013, 10:31 PM
I tend to use the forefoot technique when accelerating and stopping. It comes naturally though.

I think there might be other factors than just forefoot technique when it comes to basketball since a player does not run straight all the time and there is a lot of changes in speed.

I did notice that Rose is very reckless with his body compared to other players. I also do not think that that is the main or only reason why Lebron gets injured less. Size and strength is a major factor there.

CavaliersFTW
11-25-2013, 11:03 PM
This is some armchair theoretical science bullshit, They are world class athletes trained by world class trainers, everything they do is already the best.

Wow the whole article is based on some random "Dr" looking at 2 f*cking pictures. Thats right 2. Pictures. Like static photographs. And emailing some thoughts. Oh hes also promoting his website about running correctly.

I hope none of you believe this shit.
No - a lot of professionals have bad habits. These guys aren't perfect and there is nothing 'armchair' about the risks of heelstriking vs toe striking. I used to get chronic shinsplints and frequent running and impact related injuries all the time before I realized 2 years ago that I always landed on my heels instead of my toes. I ran Track and Field in a competitive region in Ohio and not a single Track and Field coach I ever talked too about my shinsplints suggested toe vs heel striking as a possible cause for my shinsplints because it is still a relatively new problem in the world of running and sports and I'll get to why in the 2nd paragraph (...hint... it's caused by modern shoes). Sprinters naturally run on their toes, I did too, however when I was slowing down I tended to slow down with my heels. I also couldn't run long distances without developing injury because I wore typical thick padded running shoes commonly sold today in shoe stores erroneously assuming cushion alleviated stress because that is what is pushed and marketed. Thick padding just encourages young athletes like me - to feel okay with landing on my heals which took me years to figure out was horrible for my legs and was the source of my problems. Modern sports shoes eliminate what would otherwise be sharp pain running up your legs if you tried to stop or pound on your heels if you were say, attempting the same athletic moves au natural (totally barefooted). I changed the way I landed on my feet 2 years ago and have never had impact and leg issues since - not once. Where as the entire 10 years prior I couldn't do more than 3 weeks of training before I'd need to be taking ice baths just to alleviate my shin splints.

There's a reason our feet are shaped the way they are shaped, we're supposed to land on the front pads of our feet first and roll inwards never are we supposed to be landing on our heels unless we are walking. The more cushiony the shoe the more numb you are to lower leg stresses and the more bad habits are likely to have. That's why minimalist shoes are becoming very prominent - athletics shoes never used to have a ton of padding until around the 1980's, however human feet and legs have evolved to run and perform athletics without tons of padding for the first half million years or so us anatomically 'modern' humans have been around. Any intervention between our feet and the solid ground beneath us (like say, a thickly padded shoe) leads to very very bad habits. You can still run with good form and learn how to land on your feet the correct ways with padded shoes, but if your never taught this from the start and grow up wearing this thickly padded shoes that encourage horrible form like say, me, your just going to pick up bad habits and never realize it. 'Experts' aren't even guarantee'd to recognize these problems because these problems are essentially still NEW because shoes never used to be the way they are today.

plowking
11-25-2013, 11:08 PM
The pictures used to so call "prove" this are so meh.

They have a picture of Rose where it looks like he is about to come to a dramatic deceleration, and change of direction, while for the others its different.

Of course hes going to plant his heel, everyone does when coming to that kind of stop.

bond10
11-25-2013, 11:12 PM
Here's a cool article related to this:

http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/forefootdominance.html