PDA

View Full Version : Dirk just passed KG for 14th on the NBA all time scoring list

kentatm
11-25-2013, 10:32 PM
w/his 25,355 point that came on a FT

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/fan_shot_images/196603/tumblr_llq3xsgnze1qiaw26o1_400.png

:bowdown:

in range for this season are #13 Alex English at 25,613 and #12 John Havlicek at 26,395.

link (http://espn.go.com/nba/history/leaders)

moe94
11-25-2013, 10:35 PM
Where does Dirk rank all time? How many power forwards are ahead of him?

Duncan, for sure.

Who else, though? His career is actually better than Barkley, regardless of peaking nowhere near as high as him. Garnett's career is ruined by Minni, but he also peaked higher and has a championship to his name.

Malone has done way too much for Dirk to be rated higher. So, where does he rank?

MP.Trey
11-25-2013, 10:38 PM

Duncan, for sure.

Who else, though? His career is actually better than Barkley, regardless of peaking nowhere near as high as him. Garnett's career is ruined by Minni, but he also peaked higher and has a championship to his name.

Malone has done way too much for Dirk to be rated higher. So, where does he rank?

From OP...

link (http://espn.go.com/nba/history/leaders)

EDIT: Unless you're talking overall player ranking opinions, in which case, my bad. :facepalm

coin24
11-25-2013, 10:41 PM
:applause: :applause: :applause:

The mighty Dirkules

TaLvsCuaL
11-25-2013, 10:43 PM
Legend :bowdown:

Le Shaqtus
11-25-2013, 10:45 PM
Redirkulous :bowdown:

Donkey4trading
11-25-2013, 10:48 PM

Duncan, for sure.

"Garnett's career is ruined by minni"

:biggums:

Duncan
KG
Barkley
Malone
Mchale
Elvin Hayes
Bob Pettit
Dirk

BigTicket
11-25-2013, 10:49 PM
If he decides to play one more season after this one, he could probably go as high as 7th alltime in scoring.

moe94
11-25-2013, 10:50 PM

Yes, outside a couple seasons, he was irrelevant out there.

Donkey4trading
11-25-2013, 10:52 PM
Yes, outside a couple seasons, he was irrelevant out there.

What exactly made him irrelevant? :lol

JellyBean
11-25-2013, 10:56 PM
Congrats are in order for Dirk.:cheers: Great job

moe94
11-25-2013, 10:56 PM
Team success? Isn't that one of major factors in deciding career value? I mean, for what other reason is Duncan consensus best in his position?

Donkey4trading
11-25-2013, 10:58 PM
Team success? Isn't that one of major factors in deciding career value? I mean, for what other reason is Duncan consensus best in his position?

What exactly are you defining as team success?

Duncans the consensus best PF ever because..he's the best PF ever. As a rookie won FMVP and led his team to a title. The next year he misses the playoffs an they get swept in the first round.

moe94
11-25-2013, 11:03 PM
I don't even think he's better than KG and certainly not in a consensus fashion. Duncan is regarded so highly because of his rings. There have been much better offensive power forwards and KG was every bit the defender he was.

Donkey4trading
11-25-2013, 11:11 PM
I don't even think he's better than KG and certainly not in a consensus fashion. Duncan is regarded so highly because of his rings. There have been much better offensive power forwards and KG was every bit the defender he was.

Duncan's regarded highly because on his rings?

Since when did winning championships become a back handed way of calling somebody overrated?

Do you think they just hand out Championships? His level of play led teams to championships.

I'm starting to doubt you ever saw KG in a twolves uniform..please tell me about all these "better offensive power forwards who were just as good defensively"

You do realize your trying to make a claim that the 2004 MVP was irrlevant?

moe94
11-25-2013, 11:18 PM
Your reading comprehension needs work and I never said anything about KG's MVP or even alluded to it outside saying he had a couple good years in Minni, in terms of team success.

Donkey4trading
11-25-2013, 11:20 PM
Your reading comprehension needs work and I never said anything about KG's MVP or even alluded to it outside saying he had a couple good years in Minni, in terms of team success.

You said his career was ruined in Minnesota :durantunimpressed:

Which is like saying outside of 2007. Lebron was completely irrelevant before Miami outside of a couple years in Cleavland

fpliii
11-25-2013, 11:23 PM
What exactly are you defining as team success?

Duncans the consensus best PF ever because..he's the best PF ever. As a rookie won FMVP and led his team to a title. The next year he misses the playoffs an they get swept in the first round.

Off by a year, good sir. :cheers:

Not that it changes your point per se, just wanted to point that out.

moe94
11-25-2013, 11:30 PM
You said his career was ruined in Minnesota :durantunimpressed:

Which is like saying outside of 2007. Lebron was completely irrelevant before Miami outside of a couple years in Cleavland

KG's prime on the Wolves was absolutely wasted. Why you cannot accept that is beyond me.

Pointguard
11-26-2013, 01:16 AM
Dirk's a great player and his consistency has him way up there. I really think he's got a shot at Hakeem in the 9 spot (26,960ish). But you never know, sometimes players just say they had enough. I can see him going three more years. Top ten is a great place to attain.

The JKidd Kid
11-26-2013, 01:19 AM
To anyone saying Dirk is better than KG:
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=308314

The game is more than just fadeaway jumpers.

DirkNowitzki41
11-26-2013, 01:20 AM

:biggums:

Duncan
KG
Barkley
Malone
Mchale
Elvin Hayes
Bob Pettit
Dirk

please dont tell me that is your ranking :facepalm

only Duncan is over him. everyone else is arguable. Pettit, hayes.. :coleman:

and damn, KG is very overrated

SCdac
11-26-2013, 02:21 AM
Did KG retire? lol... it's sad how bad the Nets are... I guess it's realistic to assume KG will never catch Dirk given their current averages, but it's possible.

Either way, Dirk is like a SF in a big man's body, the amount of points he's amassed in 3's and FT's alone is impressive. Definitely a great scorer and shooter, one of the best ever.

SCdac
11-26-2013, 04:09 AM
and to drive home the point I was making about "3's and FT's".... and put Dirk's incredible jump shooting in perspective, relative to every player in the league but more specifically other PF's and SF's…..

here's some stats I compiled after a couple bong hits, using some not so random players

Malone - 36.9k points
Dirk - 25.4 k points
Garnett - 25.4 k points
Duncan - 23.9 k points
Barkley - 23.8k points
Bird - 21.8k points
Lebron - 21.4k points
Webber - 17.2k points
Marion - 16.8k points
Durant - 12.6 k points
Love - 5 k points

Percentage of points from Made-3's:

Durant --- 17%
Dirk --- 16%
Love --- 16%
Lebron --- 15%
Marion --- 13%
Bird --- 9%
Barkley --- 7%
Webber --- 5%
Garnett --- 2%
Malone --- 1%
Duncan --- less than 1%

Percentage of points from Made-FT's:

Love --- 28%
Durant --- 27%
Barkley --- 27%
Malone --- 27%
Dirk --- 25%
Lebron --- 23%
Duncan --- 23%
Garnett --- 19%
Bird --- 18%
Webber - 15%
Marion --- 14%

Really highlights how much of Dirk's scoring has not necessarily come from 2 point-FG's, but rather his efficient FT shooting and proficiency in long range shooting. It's incredible no less because he gets to the line at a great rate, hits them in the clutch, and you can't back off of him beyond the arch. Having said that, it also sheds light on the scoring of other players like Bird and Duncan, who've totaled an amazing amount of points on "regular buckets". It'll be interesting to see if Kevin Durant, given his FT and 3PT shooting, can climb just as high as Dirk, and if Kevin Love can ever stay healthy for a whole season.

francesco totti
11-26-2013, 04:31 AM
Malone, Barkley came up against Jordan. Duncan wouldnt have won if he came up against jordan too... altho granted he made more finals then those players.

I still rank duncan number 1 though. I would clearly take Dirk over KG though.

Real Men Wear Green
11-26-2013, 07:23 AM
He wasn't. What did happen though is a unique punishment that handicapped Minnie's ability to build a great supporting cast during some of KG's best years. Stern took 5 first round draft picks from the Wolves for signing Joe Smith to a deal that violated the CBA. That's why they only had one year with a realistic shot at the title, the Cassell/Spree/Garnett team.

gts
11-26-2013, 02:22 PM
So if KG scores 10 points or more tonight who's going to make the "KG just passed Dirk for 14th on the NBA all time scoring list" thread?