PDA

View Full Version : Right now, who is the most overrated player currently playing in the league?

hawkfan
11-26-2013, 12:04 AM
Right now, who is the most overrated player currently playing in the league?

Heavincent
11-26-2013, 12:05 AM
Dwight Howard

moe94
11-26-2013, 12:07 AM
LMA and Curry

EnoughSaid
11-26-2013, 12:08 AM
Carmelo Anthony. Actually people hate so much on Melo so I don't even know. :lol

miggyme1
11-26-2013, 12:09 AM
Russell westbrook,kevin durant,james harden,dwade,stephen curry,kyrie irving, and last but not least dwight howard.

Le Shaqtus
11-26-2013, 12:10 AM
Irving has been especially mediocre so far this season. He was stellar last season but he's been off to a really slow start, it's like he's an SG playing PG right now, no feel for his game.

Cone
11-26-2013, 12:12 AM
kevin love

BigTicket
11-26-2013, 12:13 AM
Derrick Rose

The press still talks about him as if he's an MVP level player, but those days are long gone. He will never make another allstar team.

TaLvsCuaL
11-26-2013, 12:15 AM
probably Klay Thompson in the last few weeks

Psycho
11-26-2013, 12:18 AM
Derrick Rose. Oh wait.

RoundMoundOfReb
11-26-2013, 12:18 AM
Kyrie Irving. And I really like him, but he is overrated.

TylerOO
11-26-2013, 12:19 AM
Kyrie. Rudy Gay

Heavincent
11-26-2013, 12:21 AM
Hard to disagree about Irving being overrated. He has to start winning some games sooner or later.

fpliii
11-26-2013, 12:23 AM
Tony Parker or Stephen Curry

roffie
11-26-2013, 12:24 AM
kyrie and howard

dont get me wrong they are good players but their names are actually bigger than the players they are lol

Greg Oden 50
11-26-2013, 12:25 AM
Right now, who is the most overrated player currently playing in the league?

lebron james

Mr. Jabbar
11-26-2013, 12:25 AM
Dwight Howard

rest is debatable

Heavincent
11-26-2013, 12:26 AM

Why Curry?

moe94
11-26-2013, 12:29 AM
Why Curry?
People think he's better than Westbrook and some go as far as to say he's clearly the second best PG in the league.

fpliii
11-26-2013, 12:31 AM
Why Curry?

Just don't think he's a top tier guard. Definitely top 10 at his position, but not one of the best of the best IMO.

I think part of it is just having trouble coming to terms with the fact that the three is such a huge weapon in today's game. Even though I starting watching a decade or so after it was introduced, it still feels like a gimmick to me. He's definitely the best shooter in the game, though.

I think his handles are overrated as well, and I think the deficiencies in his defense are understated.

I may be (and probably am) off base, but this is just how I feel at the present time.

:confusedshrug:

k0kakw0rld
11-26-2013, 01:05 AM
probably Klay Thompson in the last few weeks
He leads his team in scoring. He is a scorer and that is what he is doing...Scoring! I don't see nothing wrong with that.

I.R.Beast
11-26-2013, 01:09 AM
Irving has been especially mediocre so far this season. He was stellar last season but he's been off to a really slow start, it's like he's an SG playing PG right now, no feel for his game.

Kyrie is trying to set the table... Makes no sense... this true PG bs is ruining point guards..he can score 5 a night he needs to just do that and make the plays that are there to be made.. the cavaliers stand a better chance with kyrie scoring. THey arent loaded with talent for him to try to be passive like chris paul.

The JKidd Kid
11-26-2013, 01:10 AM
Kyrie is trying to set the table... Makes no sense... this true PG bs is ruining point guards..he can score 5 a night he needs to just do that and make the plays that are there to be made.. the cavaliers stand a better chance with kyrie scoring. THey arent loaded with talent for him to try to be passive like chris paul.

LMAO at Chris Paul being passive. Passive and passing are two different things.

I.R.Beast
11-26-2013, 01:11 AM
Between Dwight and LeBron... LeBron is overrated because peple make it seem as though the gao between him and durant is huge when in fact LLBJ just plays on the best team in the league. Still probably the leagues best player but the margin is vastly overstated.

christian1923
11-26-2013, 01:12 AM
Deron Williams

The JKidd Kid
11-26-2013, 01:13 AM
Deron Williams

Nah we all know he sucks.

inclinerator
11-26-2013, 01:14 AM
Between Dwight and LeBron... LeBron is overrated because peple make it seem as though the gao between him and durant is huge when in fact LLBJ just plays on the best team in the league. Still probably the leagues best player but the margin is vastly overstated.
lebron

durant
rest of league

The JKidd Kid
11-26-2013, 01:16 AM
lebron

durant
rest of league

Lebron

Durant
CP3 and Healthy Dwight
Rest of league

PieceOfFelt
11-26-2013, 01:18 AM
I'd say the overrated players are those who do not impact both sides of the ball. Those players who are more volume scorers than anything. Also those guys who are sometimes labeled as selfish and who even divide locker rooms. I'm not sure who fits that criteria but that is probably the best description.

hawkfan
11-26-2013, 01:19 AM
lebron james

The guy who has won 2 championships in a row is overrated?

:wtf:

Marchesk
11-26-2013, 01:21 AM
How is Durant overrated when he's been the second best player in the league the past couple seasons?

Secondly, how is Lebron vastly better than Durant?

DirkNowitzki41
11-26-2013, 01:22 AM
love and kyrie

christian1923
11-26-2013, 01:23 AM
I still hear nets fans talk about him like he's a star. Blows my mind.

The JKidd Kid
How is Durant overrated when he's been the second best player in the league the past couple seasons?

Secondly, how is Lebron vastly better than Durant?

The only part of the game Dirant is better at is Free Throws and 3pt shooting. Lebron is a much better defender and head and shoulders over Durant when it comes to passing. Not to mention all the other parts of the game he's better at.

moe94

What the hell are you talking about? LeBron puts as many points on the table as Durant while scoring at a better efficiency and blowing him out of the water in every other facet of the game. The gap is noticeable. :coleman:

The JKidd Kid
11-26-2013, 01:24 AM
I still hear nets fans talk about him like he's a star. Blows my mind.

Well when he's healthy he is but he's never healthy so that's that.

DMAVS41
11-26-2013, 01:24 AM
On ISH...not sure...right now it might be Tyson Chandler

Normally it would be Rose, but hate to kick a man when he's down

JimmyMcAdocious
11-26-2013, 01:26 AM
Harden and Hibbert.

Djsonny
11-26-2013, 01:28 AM

at one point, he was one of my fav pgs. Until he passed sloan into retirement and took off, glad he sucks now

Legends66NBA7
11-26-2013, 01:31 AM
Roy Hibbert.

He might be the front runner for the DPOY, but this guys just doesn't consistently put up well enough numbers on the other end to get some of the praise he's getting. Case in point, there was a thread not long ago saying he was the best center in the league and in the previous game he got outplayed by Marc Gasol.

moe94
11-26-2013, 01:33 AM
Roy Hibbert.

He might be the front runner for the DPOY, but this guys just doesn't consistently put up well enough numbers on the other end to get some of the praise he's getting.

Maybe the Heat are shit, but he did whatever he wanted whenever he wanted. :confusedshrug:

OldSkoolball#52
11-26-2013, 01:36 AM
Hard to disagree about Irving being overrated. He has to start winning some games sooner or later.

Wins and losses arent attributed to players fool. Whether hes overrated or not has nothing to do with how many games the cavs win.

The reason hes overrated is because he dribbles around way too much. Dude needs to start running an offense instead of trying to be The Professor from And 1.

See? Thats how you apply a RELEVANT criticism to a player, without being so stupid as to simply judge him by "durrr did the team is winning or no?"

moe94
11-26-2013, 01:38 AM
The reason hes overrated is because he dribbles around way too much. Dude needs to start running an offense instead of trying to be The Professor from And 1.

Your post. Your avatar. The irony.

OldSkoolball#52
11-26-2013, 01:39 AM
love and kyrie

^ Was originally going to type exactly this .

But now that I see everyone else putting Kyrie, I guess hes not really as overrated by others as I thought.

So Ill just go with Love. People are callin him an MVP candidate. Lulz.

I.R.Beast
11-26-2013, 01:39 AM
Deron Williams
you gotta be healthy to be overrated...he's overinjured

OldSkoolball#52
11-26-2013, 01:43 AM
Your post. Your avatar. The irony.

Rofl bro.

Im not a fan of Iverson. That picture is my avatar because hes holding an inexplicable amount of cards in his hand and has a completely confused look on his face. The picture just strikes me as hilarious.

I.R.Beast
11-26-2013, 01:46 AM
What the hell are you talking about? LeBron puts as many points on the table as Durant while scoring at a better efficiency and blowing him out of the water in every other facet of the game. The gap is noticeable. :coleman:

Durant plays on a two man team with a shitty bench...smh... he doesnt have the luxury LBJ has to play with all those shooters plus wade and bosh...ray allen coming off the bench etc... Durant still has to take the bad shots that comes with being a superstar ...LBJ doesnt have to because the heat are loaded... You people on this board don't even understand how FG%age gets inflated the more talent you're surrounded with.

News flash...wade bosh and LBJ are all shooting at least 50%... they inflate each other percentage by eliminating the need to force anything on offense, eliminating double teams and opening up scoring avenues for one another.... Durant has westbrook and noone else that can take pressure off of him offensively and he will most likely still end up shooting at least 48% on the season.... that is truly impressive...

Genaro
11-26-2013, 01:46 AM
Harden

I would say Dwight but everyone knows his lack of post game.

moe94
11-26-2013, 01:49 AM
Durant has westbrook and noone else that can take pressure off of him offensively and he will most likely still end up shooting at least 48% on the season.... that is truly impressive...

I had no idea having another top 10 offensive force did nothing for your shooting percentages. I had no idea having a top 5 perimeter defender on your team didn't let you relax on defense in order to focus on offense.

Al Thornton
11-26-2013, 01:50 AM
james harden
kyrie irving (not as much anymore but last season was the most overrated)

Quickening
11-26-2013, 01:51 AM
Kobe when healthy

moe94
11-26-2013, 01:52 AM
What we learned from this thread: Kyrie has a terrible reputation here. Dwight gets little to no respect. Harden is also hated.

inclinerator
11-26-2013, 01:53 AM
Durant plays on a two man team with a shitty bench...smh... he doesnt have the luxury LBJ has to play with all those shooters plus wade and bosh...ray allen coming off the bench etc... Durant still has to take the bad shots that comes with being a superstar ...LBJ doesnt have to because the heat are loaded... You people on this board don't even understand how FG%age gets inflated the more talent you're surrounded with.

News flash...wade bosh and LBJ are all shooting at least 50%... they inflate each other percentage by eliminating the need to force anything on offense, eliminating double teams and opening up scoring avenues for one another.... Durant has westbrook and noone else that can take pressure off of him offensively and he will most likely still end up shooting at least 48% on the season.... that is truly impressive...
2 7 footers to defend the paint helps

RoundMoundOfReb
11-26-2013, 01:54 AM
Melo is also a candidate but people have come back down to earth on him. Dude got an MVP vote over Durant last year.

Legends66NBA7
11-26-2013, 02:00 AM
Melo is also a candidate but people have come back down to earth on him. Dude got an MVP vote over Durant last year.

Aren't posters claiming Tyson Chandler is better than him ?

1987_Lakers
11-26-2013, 02:11 AM
I agree with Irving.

Stats overrate K. Love the most though.

Heavincent
11-26-2013, 03:06 AM
Wins and losses arent attributed to players fool. Whether hes overrated or not has nothing to do with how many games the cavs win.

See? Thats how you apply a RELEVANT criticism to a player, without being so stupid as to simply judge him by "durrr did the team is winning or no?"

I'm not saying he has to make a deep playoff run moron. I'm saying he should at least be able to lead his team to a lower seed in the shitty eastern conference. A star player shouldn't be ending up with 20 wins every year.

I love how bent out of shape some people get at the mere mention of wins and losses when talking about individual players.

And yeah, "He dribbles around too much" is such a deep and insightful analysis. Nicely done. Did you study under Greg Popovich or Phil Jackson?

russwest0
11-26-2013, 03:14 AM
The only part of the game Dirant is better at is Free Throws and 3pt shooting. Lebron is a much better defender and head and shoulders over Durant when it comes to passing. Not to mention all the other parts of the game he's better at.

LeBron is not a better defender, this much has been proven with countless statistics all saying the same thing. I'd love to see LeBron hold Kobe to 3-21 shooting in the 4th quarter of the playoffs. We all know Kobe would shit on LeBron in crunch time.

Durant is a better scorer and defender
LeBron is the better passer
They are even with rebounding (although Durant is better this year)

Durant is averaging 30/6/7 this year playing in the Western Conference... He is shitting on LeBron in terms of who is better.. We'll see if the trend continues.

Let us not forget that Gregg Popovich has called Durant the best player on the planet. But hey, what does he know. Not like Durant absolutely destroyed the Spurs while LeBron was begging for Ray Allen to make a shot to beat them

bdreason
11-26-2013, 03:56 AM
The guy that just got 24m per year at the age of 36.

RoundMoundOfReb
11-26-2013, 03:58 AM
Aren't posters claiming Tyson Chandler is better than him ?
Last year he was overrated.

[GR]
11-26-2013, 06:01 AM
Which he flat out deserved. Westbrook's injury exposed Durant. Westbrook has always been the driving force of that team.

moe94
11-26-2013, 06:03 AM
']Which he flat out deserved. Westbrook's injury exposed Durant. Westbrook has always been the driving force of that team.
If Durant went down, they would have plummeted much much harder.

RoundMoundOfReb
11-26-2013, 06:05 AM
']Which he flat out deserved. Westbrook's injury exposed Durant. Westbrook has always been the driving force of that team.
No he did not. Westbrook got hurt in the playoffs first of all irrelevant to a regular season award. Even if you think Durant sucks, Paul and Westbrook (driving force of a 60 win team) deserved it over Melo. We haven't even brought up LeBron who really should've won it unanimously :oldlol: BTW, i can't help but laugh at the irony of the argument of "getting exposed" in the playoffs being used in favor of Carmelo Anthony.

RoundMoundOfReb
11-26-2013, 06:07 AM
LeBron is not a better defender, this much has been proven with countless statistics all saying the same thing. I'd love to see LeBron hold Kobe to 3-21 shooting in the 4th quarter of the playoffs. We all know Kobe would shit on LeBron in crunch time.

Durant is a better scorer and defender
LeBron is the better passer
They are even with rebounding (although Durant is better this year)

Durant is averaging 30/6/7 this year playing in the Western Conference... He is shitting on LeBron in terms of who is better.. We'll see if the trend continues.

Let us not forget that Gregg Popovich has called Durant the best player on the planet. But hey, what does he know. Not like Durant absolutely destroyed the Spurs while LeBron was begging for Ray Allen to make a shot to beat them
Durant is a marginally better scorer, LeBron is pretty much clearly better at everything else.

chazzy
11-26-2013, 06:11 AM
Even if you think Durant sucks, Paul and Westbrook (driving force of a 60 win team) deserved it over Melo.
Westbrook did not deserve MVP votes over Melo last year. 29/7/3 on 56 TS%, led the Knicks to the 3rd best offense in the league. Durant had a historic season, WB wasn't the driving force of that team.

RoundMoundOfReb
11-26-2013, 06:13 AM
Westbrook did not deserve MVP votes over Melo last year. 29/7/3 on 56 TS%, led the Knicks to the 3rd best offense in the league. Durant had a historic season, WB wasn't the driving force of that team.
I agree. I was just using [GR]'s argument against him since he said Westbrook was the driving force of the Thunder.

kshutts1
11-26-2013, 08:32 AM
I've long stated that Durant is the most overrated player.

He's pretty clearly the second best player. He's not first, and he's not third. But all too often I see people trying to lump Durant in with Lebron... the gap is large enough that I consider that an extreme "overrate".

Other than him, some other poster already posted my thoughts... any high volume scorer that plays little to no D. Harden, Curry, Kobe, Love... all overrated by a lot.

Marchesk
11-26-2013, 10:38 AM
Durant is a marginally better scorer, LeBron is pretty much clearly better at everything else.

How is Lebron clearly better at rebounding? Did you know that Durant averages 0.1 more blocks than Lebron over his career? Lebron averages more turnovers, so he's better there.

fpliii
11-26-2013, 01:57 PM

Got negged for mentioning TP, ROFL. Posters desperate to discredit Duncan. I don't wanna hear Parker called a superstar, MVP candidate, or the Spurs best/most important player ever again after the Finals last season.

:facepalm

Almost forgot Harden. Not a huge fan of his game, and it's one that will be exposed in the playoffs for years to come. You need your offensive anchor to have a midrange/post game because good defenses in the postseason will take the three and drive away from you. He's also perhaps the worst/laziest defender at his position in the league.

Teanett
11-26-2013, 02:03 PM
iman shumpert.
his reputation and projected trade value are that of a potential all star but he's playing like a scrub.

RoundMoundOfReb
11-26-2013, 02:04 PM
How is Lebron clearly better at rebounding? Did you know that Durant averages 0.1 more blocks than Lebron over his career? Lebron averages more turnovers, so he's better there.
He averages more rebounds playing less minutes in a lower pace that's how. Shot blocking i'd give to Durant but you're getting too specific there. Defense overall LeBron is better. Durant averaged more turnovers last year and so far this year it's even.

SCdac
11-26-2013, 02:06 PM
take your pick

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/003/394/386/hi-res-182543931-dwight-howard-and-james-harden-13-of-the-houston_crop_650.jpg

tpols
11-26-2013, 02:07 PM
Got negged for mentioning TP, ROFL. Posters desperate to discredit Duncan. I don't wanna hear Parker called a superstar, MVP candidate, or the Spurs best/most important player ever again after the Finals last season.

:facepalm

Almost forgot Harden. Not a huge fan of his game, and it's one that will be exposed in the playoffs for years to come. You need your offensive anchor to have a midrange/post game because good defenses in the postseason will take the three and drive away from you. He's also perhaps the worst/laziest defender at his position in the league.
What did you learn from the Finals that makes you think Parker is overrated?

Duncan played great.. but so did every big man that went up against the Heat. David West and Roy Hibbert combined were 40/20 against the Heat. Hibbert's numbers damn near doubled.

Parker diod everything in his power to help his team win that series. Closed out game 1 with amazing clutchness.. Clutch plays to close game 6 out but then Manu and Kawhi choked it away at the line.. When Lebron went off to start that 4th quarter and give Miami their first concrete lead Parker hit the two consecutive shots in the clutch to get the lead back and leave Miami shook. Not much more he couldve done.:confusedshrug:

Parker was the primary ballhandler and creator against the best perimeter defense in the league while Manu was dribbling the ball off his own foot and Danny Green got shut down in the closeout games... Duncan wasnt creating anything offensively aside from a few good first halfs where he was getting buckets off offensive rebounds and bailout shots at the end of the shotclock.

fpliii
11-26-2013, 02:15 PM
What did you learn from the Finals that makes you think Parker is overrated?

Duncan played great.. but so did every big man that went up against the Heat. David West and Roy Hibbert combined were 40/20 against the Heat. Hibbert's numbers damn near doubled.

Parker diod everything in his power to help his team win that series. Closed out game 1 with amazing clutchness.. Clutch plays to close game 6 out but then Manu and Kawhi choked it away at the line.. When Lebron went off to start that 4th quarter and give Miami their first concrete lead Parker hit the two consecutive shots in the clutch to get the lead back and leave Miami shook. Not much more he couldve done.:confusedshrug:

Parker was the primary ballhandler and creator against the best perimeter defense in the league while Manu was dribbling the ball off his own foot and Danny Green got shut down in the closeout games... Duncan wasnt creating anything offensively aside from a few good first halfs where he was getting buckets off offensive rebounds and bailout shots at the end of the shotclock.

Nothing from the Finals made me think he was overrated per se, just confirmed it. A few clutch plays doesn't compensate for his struggles from the field the entire series. Duncan's defense almost won the series for them once again. KL was key in that he funneled players into the paint, but Timmy completely shut down the drive. Sure his O was great because Bosh was a sieve, but that's only part of the difference.

He's obviously an all-star and top 5-10ish at his position, but he shouldn't be close to the conversation for best PG, or in the MVP discussion. He was the best player on his team for some time (after 08ish until late in the 11-12 season IMO), but that team model wasn't enough to contend. It's not that he's not doing everything he could, it's just not enough. Miami has a great D, but there's more to it than that.

Nothing against him, but as I've said before, most posters overstating his impact have an agenda of some sort. He's great, but let's not go overboard here.

RoundMoundOfReb
11-26-2013, 02:16 PM
Tony Parker definitely is a good candidate for most overrated. Some people actually think he's better than Paul.

tpols
11-26-2013, 02:26 PM
Nothing from the Finals made me think he was overrated per se, just confirmed it. A few clutch plays doesn't compensate for his struggles from the field the entire series. Duncan's defense almost won the series for them once again. KL was key in that he funneled players into the paint, but Timmy completely shut down the drive.

He's obviously an all-star and top 5-10ish at his position, but he shouldn't be close to the conversation for best PG, or in the MVP discussion. He was the best player on his team for some time (after 08ish until late in the 11-12 season IMO), but that team model wasn't enough to contend. It's not that he's not doing everything he could, it's just not enough. Miami has a great D, but there's more to it than that.

Nothing against him, but as I've said before, most posters overstating his impact have an agenda of some sort. He's great, but let's not go overboard here.
To the first bolded.. I felt it was pop and the wing players that really made their defense effective against Miami. Pop's strategy playing Lebron involved great defense from Kawhi, and Green and Diaw.. even moreso than it did of Duncan. And thats what was keeping them in games.

To the second bolded it kind of was enough from what I saw. The Spurs shouldve won that series even w/ Parker's shooting percentages mainly because he led them into a great position to win in both of the only games that werent total blow outs.

I agree though hes not MVP level at all.. top 10-15 player in the league on the same tier as old Duncan though imo

fpliii
11-26-2013, 02:32 PM
To the first bolded.. I felt it was pop and the wing players that really made their defense effective against Miami. Pop's strategy playing Lebron involved great defense from Kawhi, and Green and Diaw.. even moreso than it did of Duncan. And thats what was keeping them in games.

To the second bolded it kind of was enough from what I saw. The Spurs shouldve won that series even w/ Parker's shooting percentages mainly because he led them into a great position to win in both of the only games that werent total blow outs.

I agree though hes not MVP level at all.. top 10-15 player in the league on the same tier as old Duncan though imo

I think this year, and from after 08 until late in 11-12 it was his team, and he was clearly better/more important than Duncan. I'm fine with top 10-15 for sure though.

SilkkTheShocker
11-26-2013, 02:33 PM
Tony Parker definitely is a good candidate for most overrated. Some people actually think he's better than Paul.

I don't know if he is underrated, but he ALWAYS gets a pass for coming up short in the playoffs as the supposed best player. Duncan is the king of getting passes though.

branslowski
11-26-2013, 03:59 PM
Chris Paul Chris Paul Chris Paul Chris Paul Chris Paul

The last 6yrs on (4on ISH though) has to be Tim Duncan. I have never seen a guy who can have tons of 13pt 8reb games a season over a span of 6 yrs be called top player in the game and player of a whole decade. He misses point blank range layups in the finals and not a word was said. I used to be a huge Duncan fan too, even had him as high as 2nd on my All Time Rankings a long time ago (When I didn't respect the 80's and anything before it lol) so I actually do like the guy but holy sh!t does this n!gga get overrated. Just sayin.