PDA

View Full Version : Is Marcus Camby a bust?

moe94
11-26-2013, 11:54 PM
I'm not saying he was a bad player or even close to it.

But considering what happened to those drafted after him, is he a relative bust? He might have reached his potential but his potential clearly wasn't good enough in comparison.

Myth
11-26-2013, 11:58 PM
No. This is ridiculous.

Meticode
11-27-2013, 12:02 AM
Is Marcus Camby a bust?
No.

cos88
11-27-2013, 12:02 AM
how random is this?

Meticode
11-27-2013, 12:03 AM
how random is this?
moe94 has been random as **** lately.

moe94
11-27-2013, 12:08 AM
No. This is ridiculous.

He's absolutely not top 5 from that draft and you can go as far as to say not even top 10.

11 players from that draft became all stars. Camby was not one of them. I think it's a legit question.

Meticode
11-27-2013, 12:13 AM
He's absolutely not top 5 from that draft and you can go as far as to say not even top 10.

11 players from that draft became all stars. Camby was not one of them. I think it's a legit question.
There's a line between being a bust and not living up to where you're drafted at. He's on the side of not living up to where he was drafted at, but you can hardly call a player who lead the league in blocks 4 different years and was Defensive player of the Year hardly a bust.

He's not a bust in my eyes.

fpliii
11-27-2013, 12:17 AM
idk mang

KungFuJoe
11-27-2013, 12:39 AM
Was Stacey Augmon a bust?

TheWatcher2
11-27-2013, 04:51 AM
Call it what you want, if bust is too harsh then whatever... I will say, that as a Raptor organization I would look back and grade our selection as definitely unsatisfactory. I won't forgive the raps for taking him over abdur rahim, (albeit a shorter career but clearly the better player on the road to their peek) not to mention the rest of the class which was lucky to have had numerous allstars, whilst Camby had what? a few bright spots over a lol long career (as jalen rose says, keep collecting those cheques)

Myth
11-27-2013, 05:15 AM
Call it what you want, if bust is too harsh then whatever... I will say, that as a Raptor organization I would look back and grade our selection as definitely unsatisfactory. I won't forgive the raps for taking him over abdur rahim, (albeit a shorter career but clearly the better player on the road to their peek) not to mention the rest of the class which was lucky to have had numerous allstars, whilst Camby had what? a few bright spots over a lol long career (as jalen rose says, keep collecting those cheques)

Abdur-Rahim didn't play a lick of defense. He was like a somewhat more perimeter oriented, poor-man's Zach Randolph. Shareef put up numbers, but his impact on the game was not nearly as big as the numbers.

fatboy11
11-27-2013, 01:00 PM
Bust for the Raptors? Yes. But they were weird. Traded him and Stoudamire way early into their Raptor careers.

Bust in general? No. Had a long and productive NBA career. DPOY winner and 4 times All-Defense.

Didn't live up that #2 billing but he wasn't Michael Olowakandi.

Genaro
11-27-2013, 01:04 PM
As people said before me, he didn't live up the expectations but far from being a bust.

iamgine
11-27-2013, 01:14 PM
Depends what you mean by bust.

If you mean he doesn't exceed/reach his projection then yes.

If you mean he's a total failure then no.

kshutts1
11-27-2013, 01:21 PM
Who would be picked over Camby in a redraft?

AI, Kobe, Allen, Nash, 'Toine?, Marbury?, Abdur-Rahim?, Peja?

Thorpesaurous
11-27-2013, 01:22 PM
You really can't blame them for not taking Kobe, he had outright said he wouldn't go anywhere but LA, and if the best you could do for Kobe was Vlade Divac, a young team like Toronto would much rather have a 20 y/o center.

The just had a ROY in Mighty Mouse at PG, so taking Steph or even Nash makes no sense. And Steph was very talented but extremely flawed in his approach, and even in a vacuum Camby is probably a better choice. Ray Allen had a better career at 5, but beyond that no one was notably better enough outside the few I covered to warrant saying he absolutely should not have gone where he did.
Personally I'd take Camby's difference on the defensive end over Shareef or Antoine. Jermain O'Neal I'd take, but not by enough to matter big picture.

longhornfan1234
11-27-2013, 01:54 PM
Who would be picked over Camby in a redraft?

AI, Kobe, Allen, Nash, 'Toine?, Marbury?, Abdur-Rahim?, Peja?

All of them...but Abdur.

kshutts1
11-27-2013, 02:01 PM
All of them...but Abdur.

Even considering their significantly shorter careers/impact years?

HurricaneKid
11-27-2013, 02:15 PM
Ugh. Leave it to ISH to completely ignore defensive contributions. Shareef? No. Peja? Steph? Ant? No, no, no. He is a defender first and foremost and he still had higher (and in some cases > double) career WS than all these guys.

Kobe wouldn't have played in Toronto, AI was a clone of their best player (and a perfect example of why you always take the best player on the board), Nash was a late pick from Santa Clara (and if they weren't taking AI he would never have been a 2nd rd consideration for them), and Allen is an undersized shooter. Who knew he would become the best shooter ever?

Camby was a GREAT defender and there is a reason he played in the league for almost 20 years.

VIP2000
11-27-2013, 06:16 PM
Ugh. Leave it to ISH to completely ignore defensive contributions. Shareef? No. Peja? Steph? Ant? No, no, no. He is a defender first and foremost and he still had higher (and in some cases > double) career WS than all these guys.

Kobe wouldn't have played in Toronto, AI was a clone of their best player (and a perfect example of why you always take the best player on the board), Nash was a late pick from Santa Clara (and if they weren't taking AI he would never have been a 2nd rd consideration for them), and Allen is an undersized shooter. Who knew he would become the best shooter ever?

Camby was a GREAT defender and there is a reason he played in the league for almost 20 years.

If you're gonna talk about defense, than I would rather take Jermaine O'Neal from the same draft. His offensive prime was short, but he was a great defender in his career. An MVP candidate at one point.

But obviously, at the time, no one would have taken him that high up.

11-27-2013, 07:17 PM
I remember in 1996 the debate in college was who was the better NBA prospect. Tim Duncan or Marcus camby?

In college camby did win more POY awards than Duncan by a small margin but his team went farther in the NCAA tournament that year (final4 berth).

I think camby would be somewhat of a bust if he was compared to Duncan's nba career in hindsight 20/20 our course

Lebron23
06-03-2015, 09:05 AM
He won the NBA Defensive Player of the Year Award. And he was a 12/12 type of player during his prime.

Taller than CP3
06-03-2015, 10:36 AM
He has been extremely useful in NBA 2K for the past 15 years.