PDA

View Full Version : LeBron is a candidate for TIME's Person of the Year

DuMa
11-27-2013, 12:45 AM
http://poy.time.com/2013/11/25/vote-now-who-should-be-times-person-of-the-year/slide/lebron-james/

a basketball player winning this would be amazing. represent your sport :cheers:

moe94
11-27-2013, 12:45 AM
LeBron isn't the most popular, though. Not in the US and certainly not world wide.

russwest0
11-27-2013, 12:46 AM
what will they think of next...

Jameerthefear
11-27-2013, 12:46 AM
Nah. There are much more deserving candidates.

DuMa
11-27-2013, 12:52 AM
Nah. There are much more deserving candidates.
http://i.imgur.com/mAKxihb.png

yes because we want Miley to win it.

outbreak
11-27-2013, 12:53 AM

:biggums:
jameer didn't even mention Miley? there is much more deserving people than entertainers.

CelticBaller
11-27-2013, 12:54 AM
Miley winning it would be the biggest troll :lol

moe94
11-27-2013, 12:56 AM
:biggums:
jameer didn't even mention Miley? there is much more deserving people than entertainers.

Like who? A politician? :oldlol:

I'd rather Miley win, for the joke of it all. In fact, I really want her to win it. She pretty much ran the year in terms of popular culture.:confusedshrug:

Jameerthefear
11-27-2013, 12:56 AM

if miley wins it will completely invalidate award imo. much more amazing people out there.

KingBeasley08
11-27-2013, 12:59 AM
From what I understand the readers have their own results. TIME picks their own winner who'll be on the cover

Snowden is a lock IMO

Marchesk
11-27-2013, 01:01 AM
if miley wins it will completely invalidate award imo. much more amazing people out there.

Like Vladimir Putin. Or the Republican House members. They collectively deserve an award.

moe94
11-27-2013, 01:01 AM
From what I understand the readers have their own results. TIME picks their own winner who'll be on the cover

Snowden is a lock IMO

So, basically, we do what we want, regardless, but vote anyway so it looks like you're interacting?

JimmyMcAdocious
11-27-2013, 01:02 AM
Jimmy Fallon > LeBron

Marchesk
11-27-2013, 01:07 AM
Did the Miley chicken just disappear? I almost threw up. :eek:

inclinerator
11-27-2013, 01:09 AM
wat did i post wrong! those werent against the rules!

KingBeasley08
11-27-2013, 01:10 AM
So, basically, we do what we want, regardless, but vote anyway so it looks like you're interacting?
Yup

PieceOfFelt
11-27-2013, 01:11 AM

It's not an award. Do a little research on the matter before you say such silly things.

PieceOfFelt
11-27-2013, 01:23 AM
time.com polls are very much indicative of the intelligence level of the average American...

russwest0
11-27-2013, 01:25 AM
wat did i post wrong! those werent against the rules!

mods are being f*ggots

PieceOfFelt
11-27-2013, 01:27 AM
mods are being f*ggots

They've grown weary of your incessant trolling.

russwest0
11-27-2013, 01:27 AM
They've grown weary of your incessant trolling.

Says the guy who called 90s basketball a disgrace :lol :lol :lol

PieceOfFelt
11-27-2013, 01:29 AM

I was mainly speaking of the late 90's which is widely regarded by educated basketball fans as a horribly watered-down era. Also, an era in which one on one "look at me" basketball took over.

moe94
11-27-2013, 01:30 AM
He wouldn't be the first one. The expansion that diluted the talent and all that jazz...it's a diamond dozen argument in this doggy dogg world.

Heavincent
11-27-2013, 01:43 AM
a basketball player winning this would be amazing. represent your sport :cheers:

No.

FiveRings
11-27-2013, 01:49 AM
mods are being f*ggots
Any disrespect towards Miley Cyrus will not be tolerated :no:

pauk
11-27-2013, 01:53 AM
voted Miley!

kamil
11-27-2013, 01:59 AM
If MJ never got it, LeBron* won't. There's a slim to none chance that LeBron* will match MJ's impact on the game and become an icon of such magnitude. Not impossible, just 1 in a billion chances that'll happen.

KyrieTheFuture
11-27-2013, 02:12 AM
Honestly I'd be incredibly disappointed if LeBron won because he's just an entertainer. Someone who did something relevant should win this award.

RoundMoundOfReb
11-27-2013, 02:13 AM
Nothing against LeBron, but he doesn't deserve this.

inclinerator
11-27-2013, 02:17 AM
Honestly I'd be incredibly disappointed if LeBron won because he's just an entertainer. Someone who did something relevant should win this award.
obama was on the cover tho

moe94
11-27-2013, 02:23 AM
How edgy.

Heavincent
11-27-2013, 02:34 AM

Continuing the destruction of America is pretty relevant, just not in a good way.

PieceOfFelt
11-27-2013, 02:50 AM
People are under the mistaken impression that this is something to reward a person for something positive they've done. It is not an award and it does not have to be for something positive, hence Stalin and Hitler being names Person of the Year. It's merely someone or something that has influenced the events of the year.

russwest0
11-27-2013, 03:06 AM
People are under the mistaken impression that this is something to reward a person for something positive they've done. It is not an award and it does not have to be for something positive, hence Stalin and Hitler being names Person of the Year. It's merely someone or something that has influenced the events of the year.

I think I changed my mind, go ahead and give Bron the award

OldSkoolball#52
11-27-2013, 03:26 AM
Damn. Really thought this was my year.

NumberSix
11-27-2013, 03:41 AM
Should be Rouhani, Malala or the Pope.

NumberSix
11-27-2013, 03:45 AM
http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Disturbing%20Truths/bush-time_man_of_year_2000.jpg

Mr. Jabbar
11-27-2013, 04:41 AM
It's merely someone or something that has influenced the events of the year.

then my vote goes to ray allen

BoutPractice
11-27-2013, 05:37 AM
The most serious candidates in my opinion are Snowden and Pope Francis, with Rouhani and Xi Jinping as outside candidates. If they want to reward the "baddies" as they do every once in a while, it could be Putin or Al-Assad. Cyrus is a joke... some pop culture phenomenons do have historical importance, but certainly not this one.

Hoopz2332
11-27-2013, 06:15 AM
LeBron isn't the most popular, though. Not in the US and certainly not world wide.

actually he is

Even before this second NBA championship, LeBron's marketing strategists had completely redefined the dynamic between a sponsor and celebrity endorser, at least in the realm of the iconic athlete. The topic comes up not only because LeBron's second title leads us to look at his immediate future, on and off the court, but also because the perception in some quarters is that he had a relatively low commercial profile on television during the playoffs.

In this day and age, the bottom line means strengthening the brand, which may trump any other measurement in popular culture. And not many brands are as high profile as LeBron's these days, even though he still has his critics. With Forbes reporting LeBron's endorsement income at $42 million last year, he trails only Tiger Woods, Roger Federer ($65 million each) and Phil Mickelson ($44 million) in that category. But Forbes also reports that his second NBA title will probably mean a $5 million to $7 million increase in endorsement income in 2013 (and that estimate could be conservative given that NBA 2K14 is going to be LeBron's first video game cover). You wonder how much Peyton Manning's endorsement portfolio is worth? It was estimated by Forbes to be $12 million last year. Drew Brees: $11 million. Aaron Rodgers: $6 million. Usain Bolt: $24 million.

Yet, there's no risk in terms of the strategy. Forbes reports that LeBron is the highest-ranked athlete in the world and 23rd overall in terms of his "web rank," meaning he's ahead of Tiger, David Beckham, Kobe, Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi and, for that matter, Tom Cruise and Reese Witherspoon. Forbes ranks LeBron 15th in celebrity power, behind people like Jennifer Lopez, Oprah Winfrey and Justin Bieber, but ahead of every athlete except Tiger.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9420455/lebron-james-market-share

LeBron James is the Most Popular Western Celebrity on Chinese Social Media

Infographic: LeBron James is the Most Popular Western Celebrity on Chinese Social Media

Synthesio, a global social-media monitoring company, has created an infographic to tell us who are the top 25 most popular western celebrities on Chinese social media. It listened to the top 50 celebrities from Forbes’ “The World’s Most Powerful Celebrities” list, and monitored China’s top social-media sites, including Sina Weibo (China’s Twitter), Renren (China’s Facebook) and Tencent Weibo. As the infographic reveals, Chinese social-media users love NBA, basketball player LeBron James takes the top spot, followed by Rihanna and Justin Bieber, respectively. Lady Gaga and Taylor Swift round out the top five.

http://micgadget.com/34233/infographic-lebron-james-is-the-most-popular-western-celebrity-on-chinese-social-media/

LeBron James Is The NBA's Leading Shoe Salesman

LeBron James is in the hunt for a second straight NBA championship after leading the Miami Heat to an NBA-best 66 wins during the regular season. It has been a wildly successful 12-month run for King James, as he established himself as the NBA’s biggest star since Michael Jordan. James led the Heat on a 27-game winning streak. He added another NBA MVP trophy (for a total of four), an Olympic gold medal and his first title over the past year. The game’s most dominant player is also crushing the competition in stores, outselling his nearest rival’s signature sneakers 6-to-1.

Nike generated $300 million in U.S. retail sales in 2012 for James’ signature shoes, according to research firm SportsOneSource. Nike’s haul represents a 50% increase from sales of James’ kicks in 2011. “The first thing is the aesthetics. The shoes look great and his star stature continues to rise,” says SportsOneSource analyst Matt Powell. “The media attention on him helps him sell more footwear.”

The second best-selling active NBA pitchman is Kobe Bryant of the Los Angeles Lakers. His Kobe 8 signature shoes sold $50 million at U.S. stores last year. Bryant has been part of the Nike family since 2003. The 15-time All-Star was an Adidas athlete for the first six years of his career. Bryant’s shoe sales in the U.S. were down in 2012, but he is the NBA’s biggest star in China and his Nike sneakers sell briskly in Asia.

U.S. Retail Basketball Shoe Sales

LeBron James (Nike): $300 million

Kobe Bryant (Nike): $50 million

Carmelo Anthony (Jordan): $40 million

Kevin Durant (Nike): $35 million

Derrick Rose (Adidas): $25 million

John Wall (Reebok): $5 million

Dwight Howard (Adidas): $5 million

"America's Most Disliked Athletes"
February 5, 2013

Kobe Bryant

Guard, Los Angeles Lakers
Appeal: 27%
Always polarizing, and still feeling residual heat from a 10-year-old rape allegation that was never prosecuted. -

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/eddf45jmfd/kobe-bryant-4/

FKAri
11-27-2013, 09:20 AM
What influence has Lebron had on the world? He is an entertainer. Lebron plays a children's game with a ball. He has dedicated his life to becoming good at said game. I realize we are on a basketball forum but no one gives a shit about Lebron anymore then we do about TV characters. And he affects our lives even less. Meanwhile there are people who are changing the course of human history through, thought, invention, warfare, etc.

BoutPractice
11-27-2013, 09:58 AM
Again, I don't think you can generalize and call "entertainers" less relevant than say, politicians (they certainly are, on average, less harmful!). Someone like a Bob Dylan or a John Lennon was a pretty big deal, historically. Cultural change leads to change in people's everyday attitudes and thought patterns, it can have a huge influence on things like politics for instance. But LeBron specifically hasn't done anything that would bring about "cultural change".

NumberSix
11-27-2013, 10:03 AM
What influence has Lebron had on the world? He is an entertainer. Lebron plays a children's game with a ball. He has dedicated his life to becoming good at said game. I realize we are on a basketball forum but no one gives a shit about Lebron anymore then we do about TV characters. And he affects our lives even less. Meanwhile there are people who are changing the course of human history through, thought, invention, warfare, etc.
Its a magazine cover.

Sumter15
11-27-2013, 10:19 AM
For those surprised that Miley's winning, it seems like the results are being tampered with:

http://www.dailydot.com/news/time-person-of-the-year-miley-cyrus-rigged/

Lebron23
11-27-2013, 10:53 AM
Its a magazine cover.

this.

Dresta
11-27-2013, 11:20 AM

Putin and Assad.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Wavves
11-27-2013, 11:22 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lzD5NTs3l0

SilkkTheShocker
11-27-2013, 11:22 AM
"Leaving Cleveland will forever taint LeBron's Award chances!!!

:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

Greg Oden 50
11-27-2013, 12:45 PM
http://poy.time.com/2013/11/25/vote-now-who-should-be-times-person-of-the-year/slide/lebron-james/

weak era

KingBeasley08
11-27-2013, 12:54 PM
Putin and Assad.

:roll: :roll: :roll:
Assad wouldn't be a bad pick :confusedshrug:

Random_Guy
11-27-2013, 01:24 PM
:djparty :djparty :djparty :djparty
:party: :party: :party::party::party::party:

Mr. Incredible
11-27-2013, 01:46 PM
Da King gonna King

Knoe Itawl
11-27-2013, 03:49 PM
actually he is

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9420455/lebron-james-market-share

LeBron James is the Most Popular Western Celebrity on Chinese Social Media

http://micgadget.com/34233/infographic-lebron-james-is-the-most-popular-western-celebrity-on-chinese-social-media/

LeBron James Is The NBA's Leading Shoe Salesman

"America's Most Disliked Athletes"
February 5, 2013

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/eddf45jmfd/kobe-bryant-4/

Wasn't Kobe stans' big thing how popular he is in China? Daaamn Brony the better player AND took a big KB Stan source of pride- China popularity. :eek:

Greg Oden 50
11-27-2013, 04:00 PM
Da King gonna King
Quitter gonna quit :oldlol:

SpecialQue
11-27-2013, 04:41 PM
I voted for the Pope.

Heavincent
11-27-2013, 04:44 PM
Wasn't Kobe stans' big thing how popular he is in China? Daaamn Brony the better player AND took a big KB Stan source of pride- China popularity. :eek:

Do you ever stop thinking about Kobe?

FiveRings
11-27-2013, 05:06 PM
Da King gonna King
Kinging is getting less than 1 percent of the vote and showing that he's only 1 percent as popular as Miley Cyrus?

Would have liked to have seen prime MJ vs Miley. I think MJ would have come pretty close, or even possibly could have overtaken her.