PDA

View Full Version : Can you construct a team that can contend 4-on-5?

fpliii
11-27-2013, 04:31 PM
You can choose any players from today's game, and get a full bench, but can only play 4 guys at a time.

If that's too difficult, you can use any one legend from league history on your squad.

SamuraiSWISH
11-27-2013, 04:33 PM
Shaq
Bird
Jordan
LeBron

Bench:
Hakeem
Garnett
Kobe
Pippen

TaLvsCuaL
11-27-2013, 04:34 PM
5 decent players can destroy 4 superstars easily.

moe94
11-27-2013, 04:35 PM
Impossible. Regardless of what combination you use, overcoming the fact that you're a man down is impossible.

EnoughSaid
11-27-2013, 04:39 PM
Impossible. Regardless of what combination you use, overcoming the fact that you're a man down is impossible.

This exactly. You know how exhausted a 4 man squad would get if they actually tried to cover all 5 guys on defense? They wouldn't make it through a quarter, much less a game. Constantly moving, switching, etc. On the offensive end one guy would be free to roam and just disrupt everything too, which would make converting baskets much more difficult. A team of LeBron, Durant, Paul and Howard would not beat a starting 5 of a decent team.

JimmyMcAdocious
11-27-2013, 04:41 PM
I could build a team that could score 4v5. Defensively they would get wrecked every time down the floor if there's any ball movement whatsoever between the 5.

I got it.

I'll steal Swish's team:
Shaq
Bird
Jordan
LeBron

vs

Melo
Melo
Melo
Melo
Melo

I<3NBA
11-27-2013, 04:41 PM
only when the team that has 5 players has Melo on it.

fpliii
11-27-2013, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the responses so far, but I see a few people are selecting multiple retired legends. As I said in the OP:

You can choose any players from today's game, and get a full bench, but can only play 4 guys at a time.

If that's too difficult, you can use any one legend from league history on your squad.

:cheers:

inclinerator
11-27-2013, 04:47 PM
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=312961

SamuraiSWISH
11-27-2013, 04:55 PM
Why do I need 5 players if I have dominant, versatile bigs (Hakeem, Duncan, Garnett) defending the paint, and a long, athletic wing player who can guard all five positions roaming around causing massive havoc (LeBron or Pippen) to accompany a big guard who can roam, but lock people up including small guards on an individual level (Jordan or Kobe)?

NugzFan
11-27-2013, 04:56 PM
OP also probably thinks that Duke could beat the Jazz

moe94
11-27-2013, 04:58 PM
Why do I need 5 players if I have dominant, versatile bigs (Hakeem, Duncan, Garnett) defending the paint, and a long, athletic wing player who can guard all five positions roaming around causing massive havoc (LeBron or Pippen) to accompany a big guard who can roam, but lock people up including small guards on an individual level (Jordan or Kobe)?

Are you retarded? What are you going to do when they can easily always double someone without losing anything? Or how are you going to stop perimeter shooters? Better yet, who's going to shoot on that team? :oldlol:

fpliii
11-27-2013, 05:09 PM
OP also probably thinks that Duke could beat the Jazz

Also? In reference to what? I never said I do or don't believe that a 4-man team could contend, just looking to drive discussion. No need to be confrontational, watch your tongue.

scm5
11-27-2013, 05:18 PM
Jordan
Lebron
Rodman
Hakeem

That team would shit on any realistic 5 man squads.

I chose Rodman over Pippen because he had unreal stamina and because you really want to limit the number of possessions your opponents have when you're playing 4v5 and his rebounding would accomplish this.

NugzFan
11-27-2013, 05:19 PM
Also? In reference to what? I never said I do or don't believe that a 4-man team could contend, just looking to drive discussion. No need to be confrontational, watch your tongue.

Sorry I was just extrapolating the stupidity of this thread to other basketball related ideas.

CeltsGarlic
11-27-2013, 05:21 PM
Jordan
Lebron
Rodman
Hakeem

I chose Rodman over Pippen because he had unreal stamina and because you really want to limit the number of possessions your opponents have when you're playing 4v5 and his rebounding would accomplish this.
http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/1375735945_black-guy-laughing-on-boat-gif.gif

Owl
11-27-2013, 05:37 PM
You couldn't with just todays players.

Hell you couldn't with a collection of all time all time players, but the specification puts a premium on mobility and defensive versatility and no offensive liabilities or ball hogs so the likes of

David Robinson
Garnett
Pippen
LeBron

Would be your best shot.

If you had to pick today:
LeBron is a given. Ibaka? George? Deng? Oladipo? Noah? Iguodala? Carter-Williams?

moe94
11-27-2013, 05:44 PM
David Robinson
Garnett
Pippen
LeBron

Would be your best shot.

That was my first thought, too. I had Dream instead of the Admiral, though.

Owl
11-27-2013, 05:44 PM
Jordan
Lebron
Rodman
Hakeem

The rebounding commited Rodman was usually an offensive liability. So you're committed to playing 3 versus 5 on offense.

So whilst you do need all 4 to be commited rebounders (as much as possible) because you're a man down on the boards and so you can't box out everyone (one reason why no 4 man lineup would "shit" on any competent team using five men at a time) you can't afford an offensive liability.

scm5
11-27-2013, 05:46 PM
The rebounding commited Rodman was usually an offensive liability. So you're committed to playing 3 versus 5 on offense.

So whilst you do need all 4 to be commited rebounders (as much as possible) because you're a man down on the boards and so you can't box out everyone (one reason why no 4 man lineup would "shit" on any competent team using five men at a time) you can't afford an offensive liability.

You can when you have Jordan, Lebron, and Hakeem.

OldSkoolball#52
11-27-2013, 05:48 PM
only when the team that has 5 players has Melo on it.

:roll:

SamuraiSWISH
11-27-2013, 05:48 PM
Are you retarded? What are you going to do when they can easily always double someone without losing anything? Or how are you going to stop perimeter shooters? Better yet, who's going to shoot on that team? :oldlol:
You need to get laid. You're so angry when you're on your period. I'm responding to the OP's hypothetical. Chill out. That team I presented would most likely have the best opportunity. You don't post for damn near 5 years then you just pop on the scene, instigating, talking shit. Calm down.

moe94
11-27-2013, 05:51 PM
You need to get laid. You're so angry when you're on your period. I'm responding to the OP's hypothetical. Chill out. That team I presented would most likely have the best opportunity. You don't post for damn near 5 years then you just pop on the scene, instigating, talking shit. Calm down.

It's the Internet. No one is mad. If the word "retarded" gets you crying, just log off.

"this team realistically shits on any starting 5"

Retarded statement.

This thread was made for discussion. Clearly you cannot handle it.

OldSkoolball#52
11-27-2013, 05:52 PM
From today's game, the closest you could come in my opinion would be

Howard
Duncan
Lebron
George

You'd have to have the best two-way players in the game because they'd have to cover a LOT of ground defensively. Originally I had Paul instead of Howard because he's a more balanced player but I think in this scenario you have to have Dwight's size/rim protection.

Even then they could not legitimately contend for anything. I'm not sure they could even win a game although basketball can be very streaky so they could get lucky here or there. But definitely not on a consistent basis.

tpols
11-27-2013, 05:56 PM
If the team with 5 players on it has four elite shooters and one big man who can hit the midrange jumper and defend it's gonna be real tough.

Curry
Irving
Durant
Ryan Anderson
Brook Lopez/Lamarcus Aldridge/Ibaka

How will they stop that? All knockdown shooters and someone will always have an open look. Cant trap effectively down one man.. will leave huge holes, and Kyrie can break traps with the best of them.

OldSkoolball#52
11-27-2013, 05:59 PM
If the team with 5 players on it has four elite shooters and one big man who can hit the midrange jumper and defend it's gonna be real tough.

Curry
Irving
Durant
Ryan Anderson
Brook Lopez

How will they stop that? All knockdown shooters and someone will always have an open look. Cant trap effectively down one man.. will leave huge holes, and Kyrie can break traps with the best of them.

I thought the purpose was to construct the four man team, and compare it against the five man squads that actually exist on each team today. Of course a "theoretical" team of five will beat a theoretical team of four.

tpols
11-27-2013, 06:06 PM
I thought the purpose was to construct the four man team, and compare it against the five man squads that actually exist on each team today. Of course a "theoretical" team of five will beat a theoretical team of four.
true lol

Guess it would come down to coaching then. Like Nets for example last year had reggie evans playing PF for a lot of the time, basically meaning it would be a 4 on 4 matchup anyway.

Spurs would rape this matchup so bad in the POs though.. so I dont see how any 4 man team could keep up with their ball movement and shooting.

Maybe Russell/Garnett/Pippen/Jordan historically would have the best chance for recovery but still..

Today maybe Wall/George/Lebron/Anthony Davis for recovery to shooters

boozehound
11-27-2013, 06:08 PM
close to impossible. Extra defender to double the ball or play the lanes or sit back and guard the rim. Obviously 4 nba'ers could kill a 5 man rec team, but against other nba players? The 4 person team would have trouble getting open shots and the other team would be wide open every possession with a good scheme

SamuraiSWISH
11-27-2013, 06:09 PM
It's the Internet. No one is mad. If the word "retarded" gets you crying, just log off.
You come across mad as fukk, I've seen you looking to instigate in countless threads. Sometimes myself, sometimes others.

Confrontational for no reason, just cause it's the internet doesn't mean you need to overcompensate by being so angry. Napoleon complex? Go bust a nut, release tension and come back. We didn't miss you since 2009, we'll be fine here on ISH until you get back.

This was a hypothetical thread discussing a hypothetical 4 man team that could compete with 5 players. I give a team, you focus on strictly my reply get mad and essentially argue the very merits of 4 v.s. 5. Take it up with the OP, not me. haha

Unless you just have a thing for me, and really want attention from me. It isn't the first time you single a post of mine out. I think I have a fan. FYI it's called sarcasm, you took the bait got mad and immediately kick into insult mode like an angry retard.

Like I said, you're mad. You took the bait. You quoted me, and I vaguely responded to your pissed off reply. And even then I'm positive that 4 man team could hang or beat a team. No where did I say it shits on every team. LOL @ putting words in my mouth.

Hop off my dick, moe. Find someone else on ISH to stan. You argumentative, sexually frustrated clown.

moe94
11-27-2013, 06:12 PM
What was that you were saying? Calm down? :roll:

Homey wrote an essay.

Nash
11-27-2013, 06:35 PM
team defence and rim protection seem very important in this scenario

TheReal Kendall
11-27-2013, 06:41 PM
:facepalm

Do you guys really think 4 > 5????

Have y'all ever played a pickup game of 5 vs 4???

LakersDaBEst
11-27-2013, 06:57 PM
I could build a team that could score 4v5. Defensively they would get wrecked every time down the floor if there's any ball movement whatsoever between the 5.

I got it.

I'll steal Swish's team:
Shaq
Bird
Jordan
LeBron

vs

Melo
Melo
Melo
Melo
Melo

You are fked. At least one melo will get hot and drop 200 on u

Doranku
11-27-2013, 06:57 PM
The 2011 Heat did a pretty good job of it in the finals when LeBron Houdini'd that shit.

BoutPractice
11-27-2013, 07:03 PM
No, but anyway I'm pretty sure the point of the thread is to come up with the "best possible" 4 on 5 team.

If you're going to make it work somehow, you need versatile defenders who are amazing at rotations. So a Pippen and a Garnett type are pretty much a given. Then you need a guy who can create shots and shoot threes for offensive purposes, but also isn't a defensive liability... maybe one of today's versatile threes, a Paul George, or current LeBron... And then you need an ultimate rim protector to have your back, who also can rotate quickly and ideally can score against any type of coverage, even doubles ... the only one that fits the bill is Hakeem. Pippen/Garnett/George/Hakeem might keep the game somewhat interesting.

Overdrive
11-27-2013, 07:11 PM
Shaq - would demand constant double team and make the outnumbering obsolete.
LeBron, basically the same.
Durant
Avery Bradley, versatile defender for the 1 and 2.

Scoring wouldn't be the big deal. The opponent would'be decide who the guard 1v1 between Shaq and Lebron.

Suguru101
11-27-2013, 08:28 PM
What if the 5th guy on the other team was Joel Anthony? I would see a team with 4 superstars beating a team whose 5th guy is Joel Anthony for sure.

Sarcastic
11-27-2013, 09:04 PM
OP has been smoking too much weed, and anyone who thinks this is possible is retarded.

The closest comparison to this is the power play in hockey, and the team with 5 has a huge advantage in that situation, but at least the other team has a dedicated goalie to defend the net.

If this were to happen in basketball, you'd be asking Hakeem or Mutombo or any other rim protector to sprint up the court every possession to guard the rim, which they would not be able to do. The team with 5 players would just pressure the ball handler every time, and run layup drills on the 4 man team.

This isn't even remotely possible unless the level of talent is vast, and it was 4 all time greats vs a high school team. But if the 5 man team has NBA talent on it, they would DESTROY the 4 man team.

iamgine
11-27-2013, 09:29 PM
A team that could win many games isn't hard. A team that will contend though...hmm...

It has to be a full roster. I think we'll have to make 3 teams of legends just to have a chance. Everyone play their heart out for 16 minutes.

Lebron
Wade
Mchale
Hakeem

Pippen
Kobe
Duncan
Robinson

Payton
MJ
KG
Shaq

OldSkoolball#52
11-27-2013, 09:29 PM
This isn't even remotely possible unless the level of talent is vast, and it was 4 all time greats vs a high school team. But if the 5 man team has NBA talent on it, they would DESTROY the 4 man team.

I honestly wouldn't doubt that four Lebron's might be able to at least be up at the half against a team of the five lowest IQ players in the nba. In other words the Knicks.

:confusedshrug:

MetsPackers
11-27-2013, 09:35 PM
Lebron
Hibbert
Kobe
Durant

vs

Felton
JR Smith
Melo
Bargnani
Amare

Team of 4 wins easy

Edit: Damn I see this has already been discussed

iamgine
11-27-2013, 09:46 PM
Team of 5 will always have the advantage on offense and defense. One player will always be at least half open. Even Mario Chalmers can knock down open shots at a very high rate.

All it takes to beat a 4 man team is strategy, don't even need players too talented.

Fudge
11-27-2013, 09:48 PM
This current OKC team have been playing 4v5 for the past 3 seasons now. Where have you been?

Russell Westbrook
Thabo Sefolosha
Kevin Durant
Serge Ibaka
Kendrick Perkins

RoundMoundOfReb
11-27-2013, 09:50 PM
Team of 5 would pretty much always win but I would go:

Lebron
MJ
Pippen
Hakeem

Basically guys who can cover a lot of ground on defense and can guard players of a lot of varying sizes.

The Iron Fist
11-27-2013, 10:47 PM

We seen it in 06.

Check the Lakers roster. It was usually Kobe and three teammates. Kwame Brown is absolute shit and doesn't count as a teammate.

AintNoSunshine
11-27-2013, 11:18 PM
Jordan
Lebron
Rodman
Hakeem

3 on 5 on offense tho, replace rodman with garnett is better