PDA

View Full Version : I am down and just want to vent.

Boomerang
11-28-2013, 11:40 AM
I finished law school in July, and as I was not the top 5% of the class I could not find a law-related job. I went to work temporarily at a distributor company owned by a family friend for a few months after.. and in the process I got to meet a high level director of a huge multinational corporate.

We talked, I let him know I was looking for a job, and he liked me, so he offered me a shortcut straight to the interview. So I do that. I prepared hard, tried to look my best, speak my best, and do whatever I can. The first round of interview they told me I did good. So they let me do a take presentation. I was to email them the presentation a week later. So I worked my ass off and spend several days, several hours each on the report, and even asked for the help of several friends.

Result? No comment, just a rejection letter. So for the last 2 weeks I'm sitting at home, supposed to job search but I'm lazy as f. My spirits are low.. I've just been watching NBA games.. spending hours on NBA fantasy research.. while I'm supposed to be jobsearching but I just haven't got to it.

Sorry for the long read. Anyone been in this kinda situation? I'm just lost at the moment. Have no ambitions, don't really know what I want, what I want to do, no motivation, even when I am already in a bad situation.

I<3NBA
11-28-2013, 11:52 AM
haven't you taken the bar exams yet? i suspect passing it would assure you of a job.

OldSkoolball#52
11-28-2013, 11:53 AM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8X7h9jLCqFc

This is the answer.

GOBB
11-28-2013, 11:58 AM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8X7h9jLCqFc

This is the answer.

Why do you fail so much?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KmWZXNDx5s

Obvious and only answer.

knickballer
11-28-2013, 12:07 PM
College education system is a sham

They just want our money

No one is forcing you to attend a school costs 20-40k per semester.

I feel bad for the students who are in debt but I also kinda laugh at them when they complain that the government is helping them enough. Just don't attend an extremely expense school and you'll be fine..

Boomerang
11-28-2013, 12:08 PM
haven't you taken the bar exams yet? i suspect passing it would assure you of a job.
the top firms only accepts people with the best grades.. even if I invested time in passing, it would not guarantee any job.. chances are slim to none. That's why it's so shit.

GOBB
11-28-2013, 12:29 PM

I feel bad for the students who are in debt but I also kinda laugh at them when they complain that the government is helping them enough. Just don't attend an extremely expense school and you'll be fine..

You lost me. How does that refute college being a sham? :oldlol:

Why do colleges constantly go up in tuition?

$LakerGold
11-28-2013, 12:39 PM
You ned Joe Rogan my brother. Take a time and listen to what they're saying.

But first, I want you to watch this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1ZDxt8JEAo

1st part: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/13631246
2nd part: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q_TUoQNrow

But anyway, keep your head up, bro. Stay positive. Nothing won't change unless you do something about it.

knickballer
11-28-2013, 12:44 PM
You lost me. How does that refute college being a sham? :oldlol:

Why do colleges constantly go up in tuition?

I just assumed he was complaining about the price and it is unfair that tuition prices are high but there are alternatives like state schools which are as good(if not better)

As for education being a sham it depends on what you are getting out of it. If you go to school to get a philosophy degree then yeah it's a sham.

Dresta
11-28-2013, 12:44 PM

Actually, they are: nowadays because of the artificial inflation of education, a degree is expected for many jobs that have no real need for university education. The diminishing returns of education past a primary level are well known, yet governments in the West have pushed the demand for further education through the roof by acting like having everyone formally educated for more years will solve all of their and societies' problems.

It is a sham.

oh the horror
11-28-2013, 12:49 PM
Sometimes you just need a minute for reflection.

Take a few, lick some wounds and move forward. Tackle situations as an opportunity to overcome an adversity rather than fear of defeat.

Look at this and think about what you learned, what you can improve upon and go from there

OldSkoolball#52
11-28-2013, 01:36 PM
Actually, they are: nowadays because of the artificial inflation of education, a degree is expected for many jobs that have no real need for university education. The diminishing returns of education past a primary level are well known, yet governments in the West have pushed the demand for further education through the roof by acting like having everyone formally educated for more years will solve all of their and societies' problems.

It is a sham.

Exactly this.

I've been saying this for years. In fact, since the day I dropped out :lol

The basic perception in America is: You need a degree to get to the top.

Now, that is a very flawed perception, but even if we DID accept it to be basically true... it does not guarantee the inverse. That if you have a degree, you will get to the top.

It's a simple fact of logic that everyone can't BE at the top... otherwise it wouldn't be the top. So you've got kids in America who are C students in high school, thinking they're gonna work their way up the ladder through continued academic competition? I mean get real here! If you are already an average student, the most direct route to success is not going to continue being a student indefinitely.

Learn a skill, maximize it, maybe take a class or two on your own that can help you learn how to manage money or advertise or whatever... and just do your own thing. Maybe eventually you can start your own business and work for yourself. But at least if you have a SKILL you will have value.

Kids are coming out of college with nothing but thousands in debt and a little piece of paper that says "graduated." And they don't even have a SKILL.

bumpyknucks
11-28-2013, 02:25 PM
I agree with most of what

Dresta
11-28-2013, 02:34 PM
[QUOTE=bumpyknucks]I agree with most of what

gigantes
11-28-2013, 03:37 PM
I finished law school in July, and as I was not the top 5% of the class I could not find a law-related job. I went to work temporarily at a distributor company owned by a family friend for a few months after.. and in the process I got to meet a high level director of a huge multinational corporate.

We talked, I let him know I was looking for a job, and he liked me, so he offered me a shortcut straight to the interview. So I do that. I prepared hard, tried to look my best, speak my best, and do whatever I can. The first round of interview they told me I did good. So they let me do a take presentation. I was to email them the presentation a week later. So I worked my ass off and spend several days, several hours each on the report, and even asked for the help of several friends.

Result? No comment, just a rejection letter. So for the last 2 weeks I'm sitting at home, supposed to job search but I'm lazy as f. My spirits are low.. I've just been watching NBA games.. spending hours on NBA fantasy research.. while I'm supposed to be jobsearching but I just haven't got to it.

Sorry for the long read. Anyone been in this kinda situation? I'm just lost at the moment. Have no ambitions, don't really know what I want, what I want to do, no motivation, even when I am already in a bad situation.
pardon me if i'm being nosy here, but...

it sounds like you have some perfectionism working and/or your school is not highly-ranking in their law program?

in any case, can you go back and have some talks with their (or local) career counselors? that is, explain the situation and don't omit the fact that you feel like a lump right now... because it's a clear factor to work with and also tells a lot about you, i reckon.

MavsSuperFan
11-28-2013, 03:40 PM
College education system is a sham

They just want our money
If you mean that colleges/universities main motive is to generate profits and not prepare students for a career than I fully agree.

If you mean a degree has no value, I completely disagree.

It is a sham.
this is completely true.

I am on a secondment work term at the Vancouver office of PwC (I wanted to get experience with IFRS). Even our receptionists need to have a college degree and preferably some accounting classes under their belt. There is zero practical reason for this.

As an auditor i work closely with mining companies mostly now. People who work the corporate side require a college degree at a minimum despite the actual fact that their jobs mostly could be learned by any decently intelligent person without a college degree. The fact is if you dont have a college degree you arent even considered for any office job. IMO not having a college degree you are limiting your job prospects to labor jobs only. Even those nowadays require a high school degree for no reason.

Dont feel too bad. Although your law degree may not impress any law firms, because you lack a high GPA, it will likely impress all sorts of people in the corporate world.

Edit: Justified or not, many people are very impressed with a law degree. Hell its like a requirement to enter politics.

Here are 2 things I would look into if I was you.
1. I got my first accounting related experience volunteering. I went to my county's auditors department and managed to get a volunteer job, which became a paid job after a month. Dont feel too bad that you didnt just take a mcjob in the time between your graduation and now. It probably wouldnt have helped your resume that much. But get on the job search

The point is you just graduated and are still young keep your head up. Getting some mcjob, just for the sake of employment wouldnt change your life and look into if you can volunteer at a some lawyers practise for experience. The one way to compensate for low GPA is to have experience. What areas of law are you interested in? Look for a lawyer practicing in that area and try to offer him your services, volunteer if you have to if money is not an issue.

2. If all else fails look into the trades. Many can be complete in a year or 2 and has very high pay.

3. Look into investing your money however you make it. last november I bought a townhouse complex and am renting it out, this august i closed on a single house and just finished renovating it to the point I can rent it and am reviewing tenants. I am seriously considering going into property management full time after a few years if I can save enough money to buy a commercial property. So maybe in 5 years I wont even be using my degree and designation.

lefthook00
11-28-2013, 05:13 PM
You have to become a savage man, prepare to job hunt like a freak for 6 months straight AT LEAST. Might have to do some pro bono work. Law is a compounded profession, it's tough. You are going to have to show a lot more persistence/grit/resourcefulness as a future lawyer. The biggest realization that I've had is that in professions such as law/finance/medicine, it all comes down to getting clients. Sales is the bloodline. Education and expertise are not enough. Selling yourself during your job hunt is great practice. You can do it man. This is coming from someone who struggled greatly to land my dream job, as I did not major in what my career is, but I still ended up at a top firm.

lefthook00
11-28-2013, 05:17 PM
I completely disagree with college being a sham. I'm not down with people feeling entitled to things just because they follow a certain path. That is a problem that lies within your expectations, not the college.

lefthook00
11-28-2013, 05:25 PM
By the way Boomerang, what industry do you want to serve?

Dresta
11-28-2013, 05:38 PM
I completely disagree with college being a sham. I'm not down with people feeling entitled to things just because they follow a certain path. That is a problem that lies within your expectations, not the college.
It is a sham because it provides very little for 3-4 years of time spent, and a lot of money also spent, while also entitling those who do not follow a certain designated path to less and less opportunity. The whole thing is tantamount to one big racket. It says: 'give us your money, time and energy or you will fail in life' - as it continues the degrees devalue, and a Masters degree becomes the standard that everyone must reach. (not to mention there are so many academics now that most of them are mediocre, and the standard of education received at these places is generally poor).

Your opinion is simply wrong.

9erempiree
11-28-2013, 05:43 PM
Whether an education is a waste of time and money is up to debate.

The actual true merits of an education, is for an employer to even consider you for an interview or hire you.

Some say training on the job can make someone competent in the job but without a degree, you get your resume thrown into the shredder.

Sadly, it's the price to pay just to be considered.

Jameerthefear
11-28-2013, 05:44 PM
that's why i'm going to college for free bruh. i'ma get that 30 on ACT.

MavsSuperFan
11-28-2013, 09:14 PM
You can't tell me a lot of jobs that require college degrees couldn't be taught during a training period at the beginning of the job. They teach you for a couple of weeks, then you're capable of doing the job reliably.

Fck college.
What everyone here is try to say is that no employer is going to settle for a guy that could even get through a bachelor's degree program when there are tons of people with bachelor's degrees that are willing to go through additional training.

Its not that a degree makes you better qualified, its that the lack of a degree eliminates you from consideration. I cant off the top of my head think of one person I know other than people who have started their own business who have great (non labour intensive) careers, without at least a bachelors degree.

If you dont get a degree or complete a trade school apprenticeship, you are really screwing yourself. Its not that you couldnt be taught many jobs very quickly, its that not many employers are going to want to invest in a person too lazy to get through a degree program.

A degree is a signal to employers that you are willing to bust your ass for something and a way for employers to screen out people who are too lazy or cannot acquire the financial resources for one.

outbreak
11-28-2013, 09:23 PM
My sister is in the same situation, she has just finished law and she was like 3rd in the class, head of the student law group, invited to a bunch of law ball things where she met a bunch of associates from firms around here and now she still can't find a job. Places seem to be telling her she's too qualified to work the entry jobs and she's not experienced enough to work the higher jobs.

Shes doing volunteer work with some firms now to build up more resume related experience, maybe you should look into that?

It's a bit odd, in my family the people making the most money are the ones who didn't finish school or go to university. I think it depends a lot on what field you work in, I am in I.T and I've been told by numerous people I've met when they look to hire they don't care who has done what degree they care who has experience in the industry a lot more. Most I.T graduates from universities here have very little hands on knowledge. Most of what they teach you will never actually be used or applied in the real world either.

Nick Young
11-28-2013, 10:01 PM
the top firms only accepts people with the best grades.. even if I invested time in passing, it would not guarantee any job.. chances are slim to none. That's why it's so shit.
then apply for non-top firms, do well there and build enough of a reputation to get to a top firm, or until you can start your own firm and make it a top firm. Do the bar! A law degree is a valuble thing, even one that isnt top 5% in your class!

GOBB
11-28-2013, 10:47 PM
It is a sham because it provides very little for 3-4 years of time spent, and a lot of money also spent, while also entitling those who do not follow a certain designated path to less and less opportunity. The whole thing is tantamount to one big racket. It says: 'give us your money, time and energy or you will fail in life' - as it continues the degrees devalue, and a Masters degree becomes the standard that everyone must reach. (not to mention there are so many academics now that most of them are mediocre, and the standard of education received at these places is generally poor).

:applause: Your posts are spot on

Balla_Status
11-28-2013, 11:11 PM
People don't educate themselves on how likely they are to get a job in whatever major they study or what it takes. They just get a degree and assume they're entitled to a job. This then gets blamed on corporations when really it's not their fault. You just have no marketable skills that apply to the current work atmosphere.'

And working for free is bullshit.

tpols
11-28-2013, 11:27 PM
Exactly this.

I've been saying this for years. In fact, since the day I dropped out :lol

The basic perception in America is: You need a degree to get to the top.

Now, that is a very flawed perception, but even if we DID accept it to be basically true... it does not guarantee the inverse. That if you have a degree, you will get to the top.

It's a simple fact of logic that everyone can't BE at the top... otherwise it wouldn't be the top. So you've got kids in America who are C students in high school, thinking they're gonna work their way up the ladder through continued academic competition? I mean get real here! If you are already an average student, the most direct route to success is not going to continue being a student indefinitely.

Learn a skill, maximize it, maybe take a class or two on your own that can help you learn how to manage money or advertise or whatever... and just do your own thing. Maybe eventually you can start your own business and work for yourself. But at least if you have a SKILL you will have value.

Kids are coming out of college with nothing but thousands in debt and a little piece of paper that says "graduated." And they don't even have a SKILL.
True about the skill.. I was a supply chain management major and it's far too broad as are most majors in college. You get out and you really don't have much sense what to do because you've been taking classes about a million different things. If you don't have a connect best bet is to learn coding on your spare time and get certs for something you think translates.

College is a joke though.. Just a transition period to party and then reality sets in at the very end.. Even if you get good grades.. Doesn't mean anything if you don't have a focus or a path.

Dresta
11-28-2013, 11:30 PM
People don't educate themselves on how likely they are to get a job in whatever major they study or what it takes. They just get a degree and assume they're entitled to a job. This then gets blamed on corporations when really it's not they're fault. You just have no marketable skills that apply to the current work atmosphere.'

And working for free is bullshit.
But it's always the corporations' fault!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erTN58xt-jo

Boomerang
11-29-2013, 02:58 AM
Thanks guys, I've read every single post. Actually I'm not really that itching to get back into in the legal field. The problem is my lack of motivation really.. and it's even scaring myself.

Most people get into jobs to make a living, get rich, all that.. well I'm not a financially driven person. I've been both rich and poor.. I just need the average wage and I can be a very happy person. I secretly value happiness and the ability to enjoy life with family, friends, hobbies, and free time over career and money.

So atm I'm kinda lost in what I should be pursuing.. I've lost my ambitions.. the will to make it big/rich.. but then I also don't want to be a bum..

DeuceWallaces
11-29-2013, 03:01 AM
I think, for the most part, going to law school and not being a financially driven person are opposing philosophies.

KingBeasley08
11-29-2013, 03:09 AM

This is very true. So many people I run into these days with the most BS degrees. I'm just thinking "do you really gotta pay thousands of dollars just to get a degree for that"

DeuceWallaces
11-29-2013, 03:11 AM
You goto school for four years

You graduate with a degree

You have thousands upon thousands of dollars worth of debt

You may or may not get the job your degree was intended for

Then you go back to school to get the degree you really need for some job you didn't realize existed until your first degree turned into a bust

You stockpile more debt

Now you're 30 and have a job

If you're a half way decent student you can get much of the cost offset. It takes some effort on your part though. Furthermore, you can go to a lesser school and save money. Most people don't give a shit what school you went to. Lastly, you might be able to make a decent living without a degree, but your life will suck relative to someone with a degree and some autonomy. I'll take a 90 dollar a month payment for 20 years over some shitty laborers life any day.

Boomerang
11-29-2013, 03:13 AM
I think, for the most part, going to law school and not being a financially driven person are opposing philosophies.
This is true. I changed over the course of law school though. Before that I was hungry and ambitious. I was willing to sacrifice my personal hours and a huge chunk of time to corporate.. because I was gonna bank hard.

But after a few years.. all those years of reading,studying, working nonstop.. It made me wonder if I want to spend the rest of my life this way. I couldn't even follow the NBA much, couldn't play basketball during the semester, and had non-existent social life. I would even say no to my friends because I had to read. No more party. The gf part was ok because we were doing long distance anyways.. but yeah.

After all that, the simple question to myself was, what are you seeking for in life? And all that work + money wasn't the answer...

DeuceWallaces
11-29-2013, 03:43 AM
I don't know, you're down and out and everything, but as someone who works hard and didn't come from much you just seem lazy and disenfranchised with adult life. I mean really, you're bummed because you couldn't follow the NBA in law school? Welcome to not being 16 anymore. You didn't have a few hours a week to watch and play basketball? That's bullshit. Moreover, after you spent all this time pushing your basketball playing and watching to the back burner you didn't graduate in a high percentage of your class and derive self pity from this because you can't get a job? You wreak of laziness and lack of ambition. Your biggest problem is yourself. You should probably go see a psychiatrist.

DCL
11-29-2013, 07:42 AM
chris gardner was a homeless black man living in the locked bathroom of a subway with his young son before he committed himself to becoming a successful stockbroker. everyday, he smelled like shit and wore the same clothes to work as an intern. but he persevered, refused to give up on his dreams, studied hard every night and passed the licensing exam on his first try. After that, he got hired for full-time, and the rest is history.

today, gardner is CEO of his own company and has a net worth of $60million.

will smith portrayed him in the move The Pursuit of Happyness.

what is your dream, and how hard do you want it??

tomtucker
11-29-2013, 09:10 AM
wanna get a job....?.......download and watch this movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZVac0GnZ9g

freddy

BRabbiT
11-29-2013, 09:48 AM
Look at this and think about what you learned, what you can improve upon and go from there

+1