PDA

View Full Version : Lakers should Pass on Carmelo in 2014 Free Agency

BallsOut
11-28-2013, 05:37 PM
Kobe + Melo wouldn't work, just like AI + Melo didn't work in Denver. They're too much of the same thing, too ball dominant to compliment each other.

Assuming Kobe comes back healthy, they can construct a revamped version of the 2008-2010 championship calibur Lakers team like this for next season:

PG: Kirk Hinrich | Jordan Famar | Steve Blake
SG: Kobe Bryant| Nick Young
SF: Trevor Ariza | Shawn Marion
PF: Jordan Hill | Boris Diaw | World Peace
C: Pau Gasol | Marcin Gortat | Robert Sacre

Kobe/Ariza/Hill can fit that late career Jordan/Pippen/Rodman mold. Farmar + Young bring youth off the bench and two Lebron stoppers coming off the bench too. I don't think a Kobe + Melo + scrubs team is better than that.

talkingconch
11-28-2013, 05:38 PM
Only helps if Carmelo is paired with another guy. Kobe isnt getting younger and we dont know how he will be when he comes back.

outbreak
11-28-2013, 05:40 PM
did you just compare Hill to Rodman and Ariza to Pippen :biggums: Nick Young is also like 29 isn't he? Who are these supposed "lebron stoppers" on that bench :biggums:
If Melo wants to win now he should goto a team with a solid defensive base that lacks offence.

11-28-2013, 05:43 PM
It's basically Carmelo or bust. That's why it's not that he's the perfect option, he's the only option if they want to contend. You need stars to compete, that is what Carmelo and Kobe are. They keep Farmar, Meeks, Henry, Wesley Johnson and Hill and go from there.

If the Lakers don't get Carmelo, they likely won't be able to contend,

Farmar and Hill will likely demand about $4 or $5 mil. $3 for Johnson and perhaps for Meeks, too. Not sure if it's all possible. Probably not. They will likely lose some of those guys. Basically, they can likely afford more than $3 mil for starters and one or two bench players but the rest of the roster will likey ne on vet min.

BallsOut
11-28-2013, 05:44 PM
did you just compare Hill to Rodman and Ariza to Pippen :biggums: Nick Young is also like 29 isn't he? Who are these supposed "lebron stoppers" on that bench :biggums:
If Melo wants to win now he should goto a team with a solid defensive base that lacks offence.

Hill is leading the league in offensive boards, per minute we haven't seen such high levels of rebounding since Lakers Rodman. The guy knows how to rebound. If you watch him play I don't think it's farfetch to see that comparison.

Ariza probably won't be on the same calibur as Pippen, but he can fit that mold to the best of his ability.

Who are the supposed Lebron stoppers? Did you watch 2011 Finals or 2012 Finals? :biggums:

And we don't want Melo.

G-Funk
Deng would be a nice addition to the team.

PJR
Kobe/Ariza/Hill can fit that late career Jordan/Pippen/Rodman mold. Farmar + Young bring youth off the bench and two Lebron stoppers coming off the bench too.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

What an idiot.

BallsOut
11-28-2013, 05:45 PM
Deng would be a nice addition to the team.

Deng sucks. True story.

He's like Metta World Peace the last 2 years. Not starter material anymore. I'd rather have Ariza over him.

BallsOut
11-28-2013, 05:46 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll:

What an idiot.

You sound upset. Still haven't recovered from the 2011 Finals against the Mavs I see.

G-Funk
11-28-2013, 05:51 PM
Deng sucks. True story.

He's like Metta World Peace the last 2 years. Not starter material anymore. I'd rather have Ariza over him.

What u mean? he's been posting good numbers about 17/7/3 and is not bad defensively and is just 29.

G-Funk
11-28-2013, 05:54 PM
You sound upset. Still haven't recovered from the 2011 Finals against the Mavs I see.

Well I can see where he comes from, Rodman was bringing domw 15 rebounds per game and well Ariza cannot lead a team the way Pippen could, I would still love for us to go after Ariza to come off the bench for us.

BallsOut
11-28-2013, 05:54 PM
What u mean? he's been posting good numbers about 17/7/3 and is not bad defensively.

That's because he plays heavy minutes a game. You got to remember Metta put up similar numbers with the Lakers the last 2 years something like 14/6/3 with good defense.

The problem with them is they're old, not as quick laterally and easily gets burnt by Lebron.

G-Funk
11-28-2013, 05:56 PM
That's because he plays heavy minutes a game. You got to remember Metta put up similar numbers with the Lakers the last 2 years something like 14/6/3 with good defense.

The problem with them is they're old, not as quick laterally and easily gets burnt by Lebron.

Lakers are gonna need him to play heavy minutes. The best way to beat Lebron is to play great zone defense. You need a team to defend Lebron not just one player.

dbugz
11-28-2013, 06:14 PM
Melo + the two old dudes Kobe and Pau aint winning shit against the Thunder, Warriors, Blazers and heck even the Spurs and Grizzlies.

They'll be the Brooklyn of West.

BallsOut
11-28-2013, 06:15 PM
Lakers are gonna need him to play heavy minutes. The best way to beat Lebron is to play great zone defense. You need a team to defend Lebron not just one player.

Yes, but its a lot easier to defend Lebron if the guy that guards him can stay in front of him most of the time. Deng/Metta will get burnt 99% of the time.

G-Funk
11-28-2013, 06:17 PM
With 45 Million to spend Lakers can get:

Lowry 5mill
Farmar 3mill
Young 4mill
Deng 9mill
Scola 5mill
Gasol 12mill
Hill 7mill

They would still have the vet min to sign a decent role player, and the annually Midlevel exp. to sign Ariza.

Lowry/Farmar
Kobe/Young
Deng/Ariza
Gasol/Scola
Hill/Gasol

BallsOut
11-28-2013, 07:27 PM
Melo + the two old dudes Kobe and Pau aint winning shit against the Thunder, Warriors, Blazers and heck even the Spurs and Grizzlies.

That's funny because the Lakers already beat the Warriors this season without Kobe.

You act like I want Melo on my team. :biggums:

11-28-2013, 07:34 PM

Lowry 5mill
Farmar 3mill
Young 4mill
Deng 9mill
Scola 5mill
Gasol 12mill
Hill 7mill

They would still have the vet min to sign a decent role player, and the annually Midlevel exp. to sign Ariza.

Lowry/Farmar
Kobe/Young
Deng/Ariza
Gasol/Scola
Hill/Gasol

That is, well, an awful way to spend money.

Pau isn't staying next year, let alone making $12 mil a year.
And Melo is by far the best choice, the best investment and simply, it is also the way the Lakers do business, they're about superstars and big names. It's a model that works and the model that's always been successful.

I also have my doubts about Melo but he is the only choice. Everything else is pretty much throwing the towel. Getting Melo is the only way to sign a superstar.
Superstars are needed to win rings, superstars are needed from a business standpoint.

BallsOut
11-28-2013, 10:23 PM
That is, well, an awful way to spend money.

Pau isn't staying next year, let alone making $12 mil a year.
And Melo is by far the best choice, the best investment and simply, it is also the way the Lakers do business, they're about superstars and big names. It's a model that works and the model that's always been successful.

I also have my doubts about Melo but he is the only choice. Everything else is pretty much throwing the towel. Getting Melo is the only way to sign a superstar.
Superstars are needed to win rings, superstars are needed from a business standpoint.

I disagree. Chemistry is what wins rings. You put superstars that don't fit well together on the same team and its disastrous - see Lakers from last season, Nets from this season, Knicks from the previous 5 seasons, Melo + AI in Denver, 2004 Lakers, etc. I could go on and on.

A more balanced team where each player knows his role is, in the majority of the time, more likely to win a championship than a bunch of redundant superstar players.

RoTM
11-29-2013, 12:15 AM

Lowry 5mill
Farmar 3mill
Young 4mill
Deng 9mill
Scola 5mill
Gasol 12mill
Hill 7mill

Lowry/Farmar
Kobe/Young
Deng/Ariza
Gasol/Scola
Hill/Gasol

They will have like 29 million in cap space not 45. That is with three players under contract and before draft picks. Deng would probably take 13 to get. Lakers mle will be 2.5 million next year and too little to use on Ariza.

PieceOfFelt
11-29-2013, 12:17 AM
Most teams should pass on him. Too much money for too little reward.

Deuce Bigalow
11-29-2013, 12:26 AM
Lakers priority should not be trying to get another 30+ year old year old that can't play defense.

BallsOut
11-29-2013, 01:42 AM
They will have like 29 million in cap space not 45. That is with three players under contract and before draft picks. Deng would probably take 13 to get. Lakers mle will be 2.5 million next year and too little to use on Ariza.

Lakers don't want Deng, and no one will pay Deng 13 mill a season after this year.

Sharmer
11-29-2013, 01:44 AM
Two high volume shooters not going to work.

poido123
11-29-2013, 02:25 AM
Kobe + Melo wouldn't work, just like AI + Melo didn't work in Denver. They're too much of the same thing, too ball dominant to compliment each other.

Assuming Kobe comes back healthy, they can construct a revamped version of the 2008-2010 championship calibur Lakers team like this for next season:

PG: Kirk Hinrich | Jordan Famar | Steve Blake
SG: Kobe Bryant| Nick Young
SF: Trevor Ariza | Shawn Marion
PF: Jordan Hill | Boris Diaw | World Peace
C: Pau Gasol | Marcin Gortat | Robert Sacre

Kobe/Ariza/Hill can fit that late career Jordan/Pippen/Rodman mold. Farmar + Young bring youth off the bench and two Lebron stoppers coming off the bench too. I don't think a Kobe + Melo + scrubs team is better than that.

Probably one of the biggest stretch posts I've seen on ISH in a while :oldlol:

You're an idiot. :hammerhead:

BlackVVaves
11-29-2013, 02:45 AM

Lowry 5mill
Farmar 3mill
Young 4mill
Deng 9mill
Scola 5mill
Gasol 12mill
Hill 7mill

Lowry/Farmar
Kobe/Young
Deng/Ariza
Gasol/Scola
Hill/Gasol

Love how fans play agent for players in these scenarios, and cheap change their contracts just to make they'd hypothetical work.

You are a funny guy if you think Lowry is only signing for $5 Million and Deng for $9 Million. Both will be at the top of the list at their given positions, and their market values will be high.

RoTM
11-29-2013, 05:34 AM
Lakers don't want Deng, and no one will pay Deng 13 mill a season after this year.

Cleveland, Dallas, Washington, LA, and Detroit want to win, have space, and need a SF. Charlotte might do it if they make the playoffs. Milwaukee's owner is old and wants to win. He has a sellers market.

BallsOut
11-29-2013, 11:30 PM
Carmelo Anthony is getting exposed. Kobe led a bunch of scrubs to the playoffs in the tough Western conference in 05-07. Melo leading his Knicks to a 3-11 record and might miss the playoffs in the weak East.

Lakers would be wise to pass.

itsGameTime
11-29-2013, 11:44 PM
I agree, I'd be shock if anyone pays Carmelo the max. He's in that same Joe Johnson mode now. He's shooting 42% and averages more turnovers than assists per game. On top of that his team is one of the worst in the NBA.

HurricaneKid
11-30-2013, 12:29 AM

Some of you have no grasp on how the salary cap works. In order to sign Melo they would have to renounce Pau. That would mean that he would either have to sign for the league min or sign elsewhere (and he isn't signing for the league min). This would also mean that they could have significant issues keeping all the guys that are carrying them right now (like they lost Earl Clark this year).

What I mean to say is there is no chance LAL gets Pau, Kobe and Melo. In fact, this might be as good a team as they have for a few years.

BallsOut
11-30-2013, 12:38 AM
Some of you have no grasp on how the salary cap works. In order to sign Melo they would have to renounce Pau. That would mean that he would either have to sign for the league min or sign elsewhere (and he isn't signing for the league min). This would also mean that they could have significant issues keeping all the guys that are carrying them right now (like they lost Earl Clark this year).

What I mean to say is there is no chance LAL gets Pau, Kobe and Melo. In fact, this might be as good a team as they have for a few years.

We, as Lakers fans, don't want Melo. I'd rather have Pau. He fits more with Kobe.

longtime lurker
11-30-2013, 02:24 AM

Lowry 5mill
Farmar 3mill
Young 4mill
Deng 9mill
Scola 5mill
Gasol 12mill
Hill 7mill

Lowry/Farmar
Kobe/Young
Deng/Ariza
Gasol/Scola
Hill/Gasol

eww that team looks horrible. Melo alone is better than Gasol+Deng. The team needs a defensive stopper. Asik or Gortat please

BallsOut
11-30-2013, 03:01 PM
Did yall see Melo last night against Denver? Dude layed an egg horrible shooting night, 0 assists and a crucial turnover late in the game. Definitely do not want.

OldSkoolball#52
11-30-2013, 03:43 PM
I think they should go for Melo.

In case Kobe gets hurt, they have a backup Kobe.

PP34Deuce
11-30-2013, 08:50 PM
Players that fit Ideal with Kobe

sbw19
11-30-2013, 09:08 PM
Melo and MDA don't get along. If they decide to go after Melo they better let D'Antoni pack his bags first.

coin24
11-30-2013, 09:41 PM
I think they should go for Melo.

In case Kobe gets hurt, they have a backup Kobe.

I bet you'd watch every game then:oldlol:

hawkfan
12-01-2013, 06:00 PM
Maybe Evan Turner - 2 years, 12 million.

kurple
12-01-2013, 06:04 PM
Maybe Evan Turner - 2 years, 12 million.
20ppg = 6a year?

hawkfan
12-01-2013, 06:36 PM
20ppg = 6a year?

Let's see if he keeps it up. And let's see if the Sixers get in the playoffs, and how he does there.

He's scoring a lot because teams haven't focused on shutting him down - which they should. The Sixers have won a bunch of a games because of bad scouting and overconfidence by opposing teams.

Now we are starting to get into repeat games where teams lost to the Sixers the first time - with better scouting, we see what he can do.

Remember Linsanity - Miami faced the Knicks and they decided to take Jeremy Lin seriously. They ran a full scouting report on him and they decided to focus the whole defense against him. And they covered him end to end. And he didn't adjust properly - basically he should have given up the ball in the halfcourt to Landry Fields or Iman Shumpert and let them set up the offense, then have him move without the ball to draw defenders away freeing up other guys on offense.

Time for teams to start focusing on Turner and seeing how he adjusts - double teaming him, covering him from end to end. Let's see how he does then.

FiveRings
12-01-2013, 07:12 PM
Melo and MDA don't get along. If they decide to go after Melo they better let D'Antoni pack his bags first.

As a Lakers fan, I am now in full support of Coach Mike D'Antoni. Only the scary possibility of Melo coming to LA could make that happen :oldlol:

hawkfan
12-01-2013, 07:14 PM
Melo is not going to leave New York.
But they may trade Chandler next year to get some other pieces - he's the only player with some trade value and he is an expirer.

Nick Young
12-01-2013, 07:55 PM
Kobe Melo would be the GOAT scoring duo ever:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

STATUTORY
12-01-2013, 08:04 PM
nah ret@rd ass Dolan would never let Melo or JR and the rest of the CAA go

dis n99a right here

http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/619948886.jpg