PDA

View Full Version : When Will Ricky Learn How to Shoot?

westside_baller
11-28-2013, 07:58 PM
He's shooting just under 36% for his career, and is making an abysmal 34.5% of his 2's this season.

The Wolves might as well be playing 4 on 5 with this clown starting for them. I've even heard rumors that management wants to sign Rubio to a MAX deal. Are they really that stupid? The Wolves are a sub .500 team and I can't see them being anything better than a borderline playoff team with their current roster.

What excuses do Minny fans have now? The entire squad is healthy and they've added additional scoring with Martin. Yet, they may very well finish outside of the playoffs again.

IGOTGAME
11-28-2013, 08:00 PM
I can tell you have been waiting to post this...

outbreak
11-28-2013, 08:05 PM
maybe the fact he's averaging 9 assists a game and is elite at running an offence. Hardly playing 4v5. OP is a terrible poster

westside_baller
11-28-2013, 08:12 PM
maybe the fact he's averaging 9 assists a game and is elite at running an offence. Hardly playing 4v5. OP is a terrible poster

Can you read? :facepalm

Lebron23
11-28-2013, 08:13 PM
Prime Jason Kidd is also not a good shooter. I think he's shot only 40 percent from the field when he led the Nets to the NBA Finals.

westside_baller
11-28-2013, 08:15 PM
Prime Jason Kidd is also not a good shooter. I think he's shot only 40 percent from the field when he led the Nets to the NBA Finals.

Great argument. Ricky is obviously leading the timberwolves to the nba finals.

outbreak
11-28-2013, 08:16 PM
Can you read? :facepalm

you say they may aswell play 4 vs 5 with rubio starting, i'm pointing out why your a complete tard and that you are completely ignoring what he brings to a team. This is a prime example of an agenda thread that under the new ISH rules should be deleted.

Brook(lyn)Lopez
11-28-2013, 08:17 PM
Rubio can't shoot, or even finish at the rim. (below 50% at the time for his career, terrible for any player regardless of position).

Kidd could finish at the rim with the best of them, so that comparison is moot and ignorant.

alenleomessi
11-28-2013, 08:19 PM
isnt he 2nd in both steals and assists per game? ...
4vs5... yeah :oldlol:

Lebron23
11-28-2013, 08:22 PM
He'll never be a good shooter unless he spend the rest of the off season training under Rick Barry or Larry Bird.

Why are you hating on Rubio? He's not even a top 12 Point Guard in the NBA. He's solid starter for the Wolves. And he's 2nd in the NBA in assists and steals. His strength outweighs his weakness.

westside_baller
11-28-2013, 08:24 PM
isnt he 2nd in both steals and assists per game? ...
4vs5... yeah :oldlol:

...on a sub .500 team loaded with great scorers.

Nick Young
11-28-2013, 08:24 PM
Jason Kidd like:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Nick Young
11-28-2013, 08:25 PM
If Timberwolves were in the East they'd be the second best team and Ricky probably could lead them to the NBA finals.

leMVP
11-28-2013, 08:25 PM

3rd on all time list of 3pt made, Not a good shooter? :facepalm

kurt_rambis
11-28-2013, 08:26 PM
where'd you hear about the rumors of him getting a max deal? because that would be hilarious

it would be hard to play him starter minutes if he keeps shooting the way he does, no matter what else he brings to the table. he's in early jason williams territory with his shooting, and at least white chocolate could finish at the rim

Lebron23
11-28-2013, 08:28 PM

Credits to his longevity. Dude played for almost 20 years. I am talking about his FG% in the late '90's and early 2000's.

KyrieTheFuture
11-28-2013, 08:30 PM
We have very different definitions of loaded with great scorers.

westside_baller
11-28-2013, 08:31 PM
where'd you hear about the rumors of him getting a max deal? because that would be hilarious

it would be hard to play him starter minutes if he keeps shooting the way he does, no matter what else he brings to the table. he's in early jason williams territory with his shooting, and at least white chocolate could finish at the rim

It was on one of the nba forums: rumor was minny was planning to give rubio a max 5 year deal, but not to love.

I consider love to be a bit of a stat stuffer, but you have to give the guy a guaranteed 5 year max deal, no questions asked.

Nick Young
11-28-2013, 08:34 PM
He became a great spot up shooter in his later years. One of the greatest PGs ever, but in his prime he was a bad shooter, dont you remember?

westside_baller
11-28-2013, 08:44 PM
If Timberwolves were in the East they'd be the second best team and Ricky probably could lead them to the NBA finals.

I want what you're smokin.' :roll: :coleman:

11-28-2013, 09:46 PM

If Ricky was in the crappy east and with the right system,coaches, and teammates around him who knows?

Quizno
11-28-2013, 09:57 PM
He became a great spot up shooter in his later years. One of the greatest PGs ever, but in his prime he was a bad shooter, dont you remember?
forgive him, he started watching basketball in the summer of 2010

westside_baller
11-28-2013, 11:07 PM
We have very different definitions of loaded with great scorers.

The other 4 starters are averaging 75 ppg combined. Love and Martin are volume scorers. Factor in ricky's unwillingness to shoot and voila!, now you have the secret of his passing success.

westside_baller
11-28-2013, 11:08 PM
If Ricky was in the crappy east and with the right system,coaches, and teammates around him who knows?

We know he'd still be shooting 36%.

aj1987
11-29-2013, 02:08 AM
Rubio is not worth a max deal.:facepalm

Is 9/5/9/3 on 47% TS really worth the max?

Levity
11-29-2013, 02:37 AM
scoff all you want at rubios shooting numbers. but what he lacks in scoring, he more than makes up for it in playmaking, floor leadership, game control and defense.

of course minnesota would hope his percentages increase, but thats not their biggest concern. they want rubio to find his teammates in spots for high percentage shots, and thats exactly what hes been doing the past 3 years.

Swaggin916
11-29-2013, 02:45 AM
Rubio can't shoot, or even finish at the rim. (below 50% at the time for his career, terrible for any player regardless of position).

Kidd could finish at the rim with the best of them, so that comparison is moot and ignorant.

I don't remember Kidd being that good of a finisher. I don't even remember how he scored his points to be honest. It was like he never seemed to score yet would have like 15 points at the end of the game.

OldSkoolball#52
11-29-2013, 02:53 AM

Definitely this. Kidd was not a good shooter in his prime. There is no debate.

But was even he THIS bad? Rubios shooting is definitely troublesome. I cant think of any significant perimeter player who compares to this kind of shooting inadequacy. It seems like a pretty serious liability. The other team can basically just ignore him on rotations and cover other guys more easily I would think.

But hes still pretty young, theres time to improve.

OldSkoolball#52
11-29-2013, 02:55 AM
Rubio is not worth a max deal.:facepalm

Is 9/5/9/3 on 47% TS really worth the max?

On the court, no.

At the box office to a team in Minnesota, yes.

TaLvsCuaL
11-29-2013, 03:05 AM
His shooting mechanics are not so bad, It is all about confidence. I've seen him training and He can hit 15 threes in a row. Regarding the contract, he will not get the max. That is bullshit.

A great PG anyway, and one of the most fun to watch.

Smoke117
11-29-2013, 03:11 AM

Jason Kidd was also an elite defender and had a good all around skill set. Ricky Rubio is not even close to a young Jason Kidd. Rubio needs to take a page out of Stockton's book. John was never an elite shooter, but his percentages were high because he took good shots. Players these days have a tendecy to make a shot harder than it has to be. Stockton wasn't a sniper, but he always took the good shot and never forced it.

iamgine
11-29-2013, 04:10 AM
Rubio had 6 great shooting game and 11 terrible shooting game thus far.

I wonder if he's bad or just not shooting well. If he's bad (ala Ben Wallace, younger Rondo, etc) then it's definitely detrimental. If he's just not shooting well, then it's okay because then the defense can't sag off him and give him open shots.

Dr.J4ever
11-29-2013, 04:40 AM
To me, Rubio has turned into a disappointment. His 1st year was so promising. He seemed to be developing into some kind of Rondo/Kidd type player, and he still could be. He wasn't really hurting his team by converting key outside jumpers from time to time in his rookie season. His timely shooting combined with his usually brilliant all around play was projecting him into becoming a real good looking player in a couple of years.

Well, it's a couple of years now, and he is now hurting his team. I can't say with complete authority because I haven't seen all Wolves games this year, but I believe teams are sagging off and the OP is right, it's like playing 4 on 5. BtW, in Eurobasket, Rubio definitely hurt Team Spain. NBA scrub PG Sergio Rodriguez played heavy minutes in key games.

Also, assists aren't always an indication that you are helping your team offensively.

andremiller07
11-29-2013, 04:42 AM
I'm more worried about his finishing around the rim rather than his shooting at this point, he's a good player but really needs to tie up some loose ends to be really good.

Wavves
11-29-2013, 07:09 AM
He might not be hitting shots but he is hitting Selena :pimp:

Qwertyazerty
11-29-2013, 07:33 AM
Westbrook is 38.8% (Rubio 36%) from the field, 29.3% from 3pt (Rubio 41.4%), has more or less same amount of rebounds, less assists, more turnovers ans less steals in exactly same time. I'm not saying Rubio is in Russell's level (of course he is not), just putting into perspective the field goal percentage.

moe94
11-29-2013, 07:37 AM
Westbrook is 38.8% (Rubio 36%) from the field, 29.3% from 3pt (Rubio 41.4%), has more or less same amount of rebounds, less assists, more turnovers ans less steals in exactly same time..

Westbrook is a joke.

Qwertyazerty
11-29-2013, 07:45 AM
Westbrook is a joke.

No he isn't. That was not my point but I know your opinion.

moe94
11-29-2013, 07:48 AM
No he isn't. That was not my point but I know your opinion.

He has worse stats than Irving, who gets shit on.

Euroleague
11-29-2013, 07:02 PM
:lol :roll:

Some clowns here actually said he would "learn to shoot once he had legit NBA coaches teaching him for just one summer and not those scrub Euroleague coaches teaching him".

What a freaking joke.

All those clowns know who you are.

:facepalm :rolleyes:

Or my personal favorite claim the clowns here claimed for YEARS..........

"He will average like 12 assists a game in the NBA because NBA players are vastly superior athletes to Euroleague players and they can finish all of those incredible passes that he makes. Once he gets to the NBA his assists numbers will be incredible like 12 a game, not playing with all those mega scrub stiff can't jump super scrub poor athletes in Euroleague that can't finish any of his passes".

YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE - claimed it here for YEARS

what a bunch of freaking clowns - still won't admit you were WRONG

:lol :oldlol: :roll: :facepalm :rolleyes:

Euroleague
11-29-2013, 07:16 PM

He became a guy that could make maybe a few out of 10 wide open 3's in his later years mixed in with some crazy air balls.

How is that a "great spot up shooter"?

It was just that he was no longer an awful awful shooter like he had been for say the first 15+ years of his career or whatever.

Euroleague
11-29-2013, 07:20 PM
I don't remember Kidd being that good of a finisher. I don't even remember how he scored his points to be honest. It was like he never seemed to score yet would have like 15 points at the end of the game.

He got most of it in transition being able to finish around the rim, garbage points being able to finish around the rim, rebound put backs, posting up smaller guards, being able to drive the ball in and finishing- all things Rubio cannot generally do with any good percentages.

Euroleague
11-29-2013, 07:23 PM
To me, Rubio has turned into a disappointment. His 1st year was so promising. He seemed to be developing into some kind of Rondo/Kidd type player, and he still could be. He wasn't really hurting his team by converting key outside jumpers from time to time in his rookie season. His timely shooting combined with his usually brilliant all around play was projecting him into becoming a real good looking player in a couple of years.

Well, it's a couple of years now, and he is now hurting his team. I can't say with complete authority because I haven't seen all Wolves games this year, but I believe teams are sagging off and the OP is right, it's like playing 4 on 5. BtW, in Eurobasket, Rubio definitely hurt Team Spain. NBA scrub PG Sergio Rodriguez played heavy minutes in key games.

Also, assists aren't always an indication that you are helping your team offensively.

Rodriguez is better than Rubio in any league.

I told you over and over and over the only reason Rubio could do anything was because teams did not know evidently in NBA to just not guard him and thus make him useless and that once they figured that out it would be 4 on 5 on offense. You argued and argued and called me a liar and a troll.

Here we are and still you will not admit you were wrong and will not own up.

Who is the troll?

Euroleague
11-29-2013, 07:27 PM
Westbrook is 38.8% (Rubio 36%) from the field, 29.3% from 3pt (Rubio 41.4%), has more or less same amount of rebounds, less assists, more turnovers ans less steals in exactly same time. I'm not saying Rubio is in Russell's level (of course he is not), just putting into perspective the field goal percentage.

Do teams leave Westbrook wide open and unguarded and play 4 on 5 against the Thunder when he is on the floor?

westside_baller
11-30-2013, 01:06 PM
The wolves are #12 in the west. Love has to want out sooner rather than later.

aj1987
11-30-2013, 05:43 PM
The wolves are #12 in the west. Love has to want out sooner rather than later.
Empty stats = Love. For instance, Wade averaging 22/5/5 has more impact on games than Love averaging 25/13/5 or whatever he's averaging. If the guy can up his BB IQ, he'll end up as a top 20 GOAT.

imdaman99
11-30-2013, 07:55 PM
Westbrook is a joke.

He has worse stats than Irving, who gets shit on.
Waddup Silk the shokker. Nice new nick :cheers:

Dresta
11-30-2013, 07:59 PM
Really...?

B-Easy8
11-30-2013, 08:27 PM
Shoots 41% from 3 though.

westside_baller
11-30-2013, 08:44 PM
Really...?

8 wins in 17 games is considered sub 500. Sucks that you flunked kindergarten.

The 4 other starters average 75 pts a game.

Dresta
11-30-2013, 09:05 PM
I obviously meant the 'loaded with great scorers' part you ignoramus.

edit: that you think Corey Brewer is a great scorer i think encapsulates your ignorance.

La Frescobaldi
11-30-2013, 09:08 PM
Tonight!! Rubio's going for 25 and not miss a shot!!

RRR3
11-30-2013, 11:49 PM
Tonight!! Rubio's going for 25 and not miss a shot!!
:lol

La Frescobaldi
11-30-2013, 11:59 PM
:lol
:lol glad for the win though he still did great out there!!

Euroleague
12-01-2013, 01:13 AM
Shoots 41% from 3 though.

The only shots he takes from 3 are wide open with no one within 10 feet of him. And there is absolutely no way in hell that percentage will last anyway.

Besides that, he's almost stopped taking 3s anyway, since he can't make them, which is smart on his part.

JellyBean
12-01-2013, 03:11 AM
When will Ricky learn to shoot better should be the question. I think when he gets serious about his craft. Shooting isn't his forte, passing is. But when he decides to put in the work on his shooting, this dude could be dangerous. Right now, Minny fans have zero excuses. We look at this roster and see that we will win games by scoring more points than the other team. We have a defense. Its just a YMCA type of defense. There but not really trying to stop u kind of defense.

bballbball
12-01-2013, 03:18 AM
Problem is he shoots a poor percentage even when the defense gives all the space in the world and sag off of him to the Wolves other playerss. He shoots below 36% WIDE OPEN on his jumpers a lot of the times which is awful. He's not a bad 3 pt shooter but only really shoots them when he was room and time. I hate that he gets the benefit of the doubt so far in his career just because a hall of famer in Jason Kidd existed. He's been playing pro Euro ball since he was in his mid teens and hasn't improved his shooting at all.

miggyme1
12-01-2013, 04:17 AM
What he lacks in scoring he makes up with his superior court vision and IQ. Condo has had great success without being a great scorer so I don't see y Rubio can't. The timber wolves Achilles heel isn't Rubio it's their bench. Their starting five IMO can go head up with anybody.....yes even the Miami heat.

B-Easy8
12-01-2013, 05:15 AM
What he lacks in scoring he makes up with his superior court vision and IQ. Condo has had great success without being a great scorer so I don't see y Rubio can't. The timber wolves Achilles heel isn't Rubio it's their bench. Their starting five IMO can go head up with anybody.....yes even the Miami heat.

Speaking the truth.

BigTicket
12-01-2013, 05:34 AM
Rubio can shoot already, as evidenced by his 3pt and FT percentages. What he can't do is score when there is a defender on him, and he doesn't seem to be making any progress in that regard.

SpanishACB
12-01-2013, 05:40 AM

Nope.

The fact he's third on 3pts made is not that he's a good shooter.

It's that he's a team leader (guaranteed minutes through all career), a consistant player and has high IQ which means good positioning and reading of the game (open shotst) and kept healthy throughout most of his career.

If Rubio has a lengthy career he'll eventually contribute to the scoring of his team. He's not there yet but he's showing other qualities that imply that he can have a succesful career so there's nothing stopping him from improving his shooting.

Bennet is a bigger concern in my opinion, in that regard, and every other regard.

Dr.J4ever
12-01-2013, 07:10 AM
Rubio vs the Mavs-- 32 min. 12 points. 4-12 shooting, 1-5 from 3. 7 assists, 1 turnover. 2 steals

westside_baller
12-01-2013, 10:54 AM
I obviously meant the 'loaded with great scorers' part you ignoramus.

edit: that you think Corey Brewer is a great scorer i think encapsulates your ignorance.

LMAO!!! You mad! Looks like someone missed their siesta....

westside_baller
12-01-2013, 10:55 AM

Pure lulz!!!!!!!!

westside_baller
12-01-2013, 10:57 AM
Rubio can shoot...What he can't do is score when there is a defender on him, and he doesn't seem to be making any progress in that regard.

WTF????

fragokota
12-01-2013, 11:00 AM
He ain't learning son, if he hasn't already

Dr.J4ever
12-01-2013, 11:02 AM
Saw Minny's win over the Mavs. Rubio played well down the stretch playing good pressure defense using his length with 2 steals and a driving lay up. Good game for him.

La Frescobaldi
12-01-2013, 11:03 AM
Problem is he shoots a poor percentage even when the defense gives all the space in the world and sag off of him to the Wolves other playerss. He shoots below 36% WIDE OPEN on his jumpers a lot of the times which is awful. He's not a bad 3 pt shooter but only really shoots them when he was room and time. I hate that he gets the benefit of the doubt so far in his career just because a hall of famer in Jason Kidd existed. He's been playing pro Euro ball since he was in his mid teens and hasn't improved his shooting at all.
How does he get a pass? He gets slammed constantly for it by threads exactly like this one. All over the net.
He is like JK in the respect of being unstoppable even without a shot.

He's better than the vast majority of guards and that makes a lot of guys angry because they just don't get it.

westside_baller
12-01-2013, 11:09 AM
How does he get a pass? He gets slammed constantly for it by threads exactly like this one. All over the net.
He is like JK in the respect of being unstoppable even without a shot.

He's better than the vast majority of guards and that makes a lot of guys angry because they just don't get it.

F'in' hilarity!!!!! Rubio is "unstoppable!" :lol :facepalm

vinsanity2756
12-01-2013, 11:54 AM
I am seeing improvement in the shooting, at least from 3 point range. I think over time he will get more comfortable with the shot. I know he's putting up the work. Look at tony parker, when he first came into the league his first years, he couldn't shoot a lick. I'm not saying he's a great shooter now, but he's developed a good mid-range pull up. That's what ricky's got to aspire to.

La Frescobaldi
12-01-2013, 12:18 PM
F'in' hilarity!!!!! Rubio is "unstoppable!" :lol :facepalm
his team leads in all kinds of offensive categories bro

fandarko
12-05-2013, 02:20 AM
Jason Kidd was also an elite defender and had a good all around skill set. Ricky Rubio is not even close to a young Jason Kidd. Rubio needs to take a page out of Stockton's book. John was never an elite shooter, but his percentages were high because he took good shots. Players these days have a tendecy to make a shot harder than it has to be. Stockton wasn't a sniper, but he always took the good shot and never forced it.

Stockton was an above average shooter in terms of pure shooting skill, better form and feel than Kidd. It just wasn't his thing, he exemplified the pure playmaker and passer and wasn't aggressive on the shooting end. But he would nail the open shot quite often and wasn't afraid to take it. Rubio is a poor shooter, he knows it and he hesitates to take the shot. A pity, since he would have been a perrenial all star if he had a stroke to supplement his elite passing and defensive instincts...

Euroleague
12-06-2013, 01:51 AM
Rubio can shoot already, as evidenced by his 3pt and FT percentages. What he can't do is score when there is a defender on him, and he doesn't seem to be making any progress in that regard.

He can make some shots when left wide open by 10 feet...............wow