PDA

View Full Version : Nerlens Noel

Shade8780
11-29-2013, 01:11 PM
I thought he should've been the #1 pick before the Draft, and he hasnt got to play this season with his injury. How good do you think he'll be?

fpliii
11-29-2013, 01:28 PM
I think he'll end up as the best player in the draft other than Dipo. He seems legit, great defender even out to the perimeter. Very raw offensively.

CelticBaller
11-29-2013, 01:30 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-GQzFkG4ll7A/UZR6WOETM6I/AAAAAAAAC5I/2XS9IFP6S8M/s640/mc.jpg

imdaman99
11-29-2013, 01:32 PM
I think he'll end up as the best player in the draft other than Dipo. He seems legit, great defender even out to the perimeter. Very raw defensively.
I thought he was already great on defense. It's his offense that is extremely raw (or terrible). But it's been a while since I last saw him though.

kurple
11-29-2013, 01:34 PM
I thought he was already great on defense. It's his offense that is extremely raw (or terrible). But it's been a while since I last saw him though.
yeah, he must have ment offense

fpliii
11-29-2013, 01:38 PM

Typo. :D

Fresh Kid
11-29-2013, 01:46 PM
like holiday.

Le Shaqtus
11-29-2013, 02:08 PM
He'll be a good defender, that's about it. He's raw as shit and like most of these centers now they don't bother to develop their game once they're in the league. That's the problem with these "one and done" players.

Nash
11-29-2013, 02:18 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Anthony Davis raw offensively too coming out of college?

gyu
11-29-2013, 02:19 PM
Next Hasheem Thabeet.

gyu
11-29-2013, 02:20 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Anthony Davis raw offensively too coming out of college?
Anthony at least has a nice mid range jumper. Nerlens has.... put backs?

alenleomessi
11-29-2013, 02:30 PM
drummond is still raw offensively but he is still like a top10/15 center in the nba... you dont really need a lot.. but lets see him come back from that injury and stay healthy first.. not everybody is blake griffin.

DStebb716
11-29-2013, 02:34 PM
I think he ends up as a better Marcus Camby which is saying a lot.

Meticode
11-29-2013, 02:47 PM
I think the consensus is Noel is more raw. Davis was pretty raw, but not to Noel's extent.

GOBB
11-29-2013, 03:54 PM
Anthony Davis raw? The kid showed he had a midrange jumper. Noel has no jumper, no back to the basket game. He scores off garbage pts which simply are ally oops, put back buckets from being a really good rebounder.

The comparisons for those are defense and rebounding. It ends there. Looking at how Anthony rebounds and defends? If Noel can be as good as that? I'm happy. I couldn't care less if he was retarded offensively. Tyson Chandler, Noah, Larry Sanders are guys who you dont speak on their offensive ability until after the fact. You're happy if they can give you 10-12.

TonyMontana
11-29-2013, 04:55 PM
Should be good. Their apparently trying to retool his shot, but other than free throws it shouldn't matter. As long as he can go up strong and finish dunks thats all the offense he needs.

He's got elite quickness defensively as a center which will make him elite in the pick and roll game. His rim protection is also top notch. He might need to add just a few pounds so that he can bump with the bigger bodies in the NBA for rebounds, but not too much where it hurts his quickness. Pick and Roll D is huge for bigs in todays game.

I said he'd be the best player in the draft and I stand by it.

Meticode
11-29-2013, 05:02 PM
Anthony Davis raw? The kid showed he had a midrange jumper. Noel has no jumper, no back to the basket game. He scores off garbage pts which simply are ally oops, put back buckets from being a really good rebounder.

The comparisons for those are defense and rebounding. It ends there. Looking at how Anthony rebounds and defends? If Noel can be as good as that? I'm happy. I couldn't care less if he was retarded offensively. Tyson Chandler, Noah, Larry Sanders are guys who you dont speak on their offensive ability until after the fact. You're happy if they can give you 10-12.
He wasn't considered Noel raw, but he was still raw. Especially in the post for a player of his position and size. I'm not saying he hasn't panned out, but before he got drafted the biggest concern with Davis was his strength and his offensive game in the post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=qzFcTK-f5M8#t=503

...pretty much any scouting report you read pre-draft stats he was raw in the post, and his numbers showed that is freshman year at UK.

hawkfan
11-29-2013, 05:09 PM
Will he have a better career than Ben McLemore?
If not, then this was a disastrous pick.

RoundMoundOfReb
11-29-2013, 05:10 PM
Has potential to be a dominant defensive player.

JimmyMcAdocious
11-29-2013, 05:18 PM
Joakim Noah.

RedBlackAttack
11-29-2013, 06:19 PM
I think the consensus is Noel is more raw. Davis was pretty raw, but not to Noel's extent.
Noel is more raw offensively, but he'll have more impact right out of the gates on the defensive end. He has the kind of elite shot blocking that doesn't come around too often.

I think, at the very least and assuming his health isn't a major issue, he'll be an elite defensive player and rebounder. He has underrated raw offensive capabilities, too. He actually has a nice handle and first step for a big guy and good touch around the rim.

He'll get his fair share of points just on oops and putbacks.

Elite athlete with a crazy frame/wingspan. He will be the best player in that draft, health notwithstanding.

Styles p
11-29-2013, 06:32 PM
He'll be a good defender, that's about it. He's raw as shit and like most of these centers now they don't bother to develop their game once they're in the league. That's the problem with these "one and done" players.
all the reports i hear is the kid is a gym rat. while he is sitting out this year the sixers coaching staff are making him learn to shoot all over again.

RedBlackAttack
11-29-2013, 06:36 PM
This kid has all the potential in the world. For those that say he's only useful defensively, he was the best finisher around the rim in college basketball last season prior to his injury. His athleticism alone will get baskets. He's excellent at running the floor, which is key after a blocked shot.

There's no reason to believe he won't at some point become a capable offensive player. He's still extremely young and has all the physical tools to be a standout player in the NBA.

At worst he's a rich man's Larry Sanders... which is something any team in the league would want.

andremiller07
11-29-2013, 06:38 PM
This kid has all the potential in the world. For those that say he's only useful defensively, he was the best finisher around the rim in college basketball last season prior to his injury. His athleticism alone will get baskets. He's excellent at running the floor, which is key after a blocked shot.

There's no reason to believe he won't at some point become a capable offensive player. He's still extremely young and has all the physical tools to be a standout player in the NBA.

At worst he's a rich man's Larry Sanders... which is something any team in the league would want.
What's his basketball IQ like? I see people making the Camby comparison but I think people always undervalued Camby's passing ability and IQ.

The JKidd Kid
11-29-2013, 06:42 PM
I would've taken him over any other player in this draft except Oladipo and maybe McLemore. The guy can legitimately guard positions 2-5 along with being a Tyson Chandler sort of finisher in the pick and role.

Owl
11-29-2013, 06:46 PM

And this is where the Camby comparison is misleading. Camby just barely shot 50% from the field in college, Nerlens shot .590 as a frosh.

Despite some athletic tools Camby was a poor shooter (in terms of field goal % rather than in terms of jump shooting) from the field, for a big man, throughout his NBA career. Nerlens should do okay off offensive rebounds, tip ins, dump offs and fast breaks.

GOBB
11-29-2013, 07:31 PM
He better be the defensive presence we havent had since Mutombo/Theo Ratliff. Because I'm fed up with teams attacking the rim like a layup line. Disrespectful. Also not going to place high expectations on Noel out the gate. Give him two seasons before I get into my critical mode. :lol

PP34Deuce
11-30-2013, 04:16 PM
He better be the defensive presence we havent had since Mutombo/Theo Ratliff. Because I'm fed up with teams attacking the rim like a layup line. Disrespectful. Also not going to place high expectations on Noel out the gate. Give him two seasons before I get into my critical mode. :lol

I believe Noel out of the gate will be a 8-10- 2 block player. You guys had a very solid Samuel Dalembert

hawkfan
11-30-2013, 04:20 PM

4 seasons is more realistic, but you don't have patience for that.

GOBB
11-30-2013, 04:33 PM
4 seasons is more realistic

No

I believe Noel out of the gate will be a 8-10- 2 block player. You guys had a very solid Samuel Dalembert…. Noel has more talent and that is his floor to me.

That would be awesome.

hawkfan
11-30-2013, 06:03 PM
Is he hurt where he can't play at all? Otherwise, they should send him to the D-League and get some playing time there.

If he really is hurt, let him sit out - to avoid another Derrick Rose situation.

BTW - who is one starring all of the threads?

I<3NBA
11-30-2013, 08:03 PM
he'll be better than Anthony Bennet, that's for sure :lol

Meticode
11-30-2013, 08:10 PM
he'll be better than Anthony Bennet, that's for sure :lol
Brown played Bennett at the 3 last night. He banked in two three pointers and airballed a corner three. Our 6'8" 245ish pound PF takes 75%+ jumpers. :facepalm

RedBlackAttack
11-30-2013, 08:11 PM
And this is where the Camby comparison is misleading. Camby just barely shot 50% from the field in college, Nerlens shot .590 as a frosh.

Despite some athletic tools Camby was a poor shooter (in terms of field goal % rather than in terms of jump shooting) from the field, for a big man, throughout his NBA career. Nerlens should do okay off offensive rebounds, tip ins, dump offs and fast breaks.
Right.

Noel is more athletic than Camby was by a pretty significant margin, imo. I'm really not feeling that comparison much at all.

I actually think there's more of a chance he becomes a Mutumbo-like player than Marcus Camby. I pointed this out a lot in the lead-up to the draft, but not only did Noel lead the country in blocked shots as a freshman, but he led the SEC in steals at the time of the injury.

STEALS. As a 7-footer who spends most of his time around the basket. That gives you some idea the level of athlete we're talking about, here.

He's going to make an immediate impact in this league in all phases of the game. The Sixers have made all the right moves in the last several months.

Brown played Bennett at the 3 last night. He banked in two three pointers and airballed a corner three. Our 6'8" 245ish pound PF takes 75%+ jumpers. :facepalm

15 games. On a team that is a complete mess. No one looks good on this roster right now, including the guy who a lot of people believe is the best young player in the game.

It's funny... I'd be more worried about Bennett if the rest of the team was playing great and he was playing like this. As it is right now, he just looks like a product of an entire team which is out of sorts. That's my take atm.

Meticode
11-30-2013, 08:16 PM
15 games. On a team that is a complete mess. No one looks good on this roster right now, including the guy who a lot of people believe is the best young player in the game.

It's funny... I'd be more worried about Bennett if the rest of the team was playing great and he was playing like this. As it is right now, he just looks like a product of an entire team which is out of sorts. That's my take atm.
I'm more worried about Mike Brown than Bennett. As you may already know. Like I said, I wasn't a fan of the Bennett pick. I don't see how it helps us long-term with him fitting on the team.

RedBlackAttack
11-30-2013, 08:32 PM
I'm more worried about Mike Brown than Bennett. As you may already know. Like I said, I wasn't a fan of the Bennett pick. I don't see how it helps us long-term with him fitting on the team.
My concerns are making all these pieces fit. Whether that's a Mike Brown issue or something that can be fixed by changing guys' roles, bringing in different guys or whatever... Right now, this team has zero chemistry.

As I said, Bennett hoisting up 30-footers looks to me like a product of a team that doesn't know how to play together yet. It's hard to imagine things will continue this way.

In all my years watching NBA basketball, I may have never seen a team with this little chemistry.

ukfan22
11-30-2013, 09:34 PM
his ceiling is probably Tyson Chandler, which is fine

anyone who said Davis was "raw" coming out of college didn't watch games

Meticode
11-30-2013, 09:43 PM
his ceiling is probably Tyson Chandler, which is fine

anyone who said Davis was "raw" coming out of college didn't watch games
Like it's been said before, he was raw, but not nearly as raw as Noel. It's all taken into perspective.

Case and point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=qzFcTK-f5M8#t=503

Davis has progressed a lot since college.

ukfan22
11-30-2013, 09:50 PM
Like it's been said before, he was raw, but not nearly as raw as Noel. It's all taken into perspective.

Case and point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=qzFcTK-f5M8#t=503

Davis has progressed a lot since college.

Not to be a jerk, but I don't really care what some youtube vid has to say. I watched every second he played at UK. He was only "raw" in a relative sense because his potential is so high. He showed every offensive move you would want out of a big man while at UK, while also displaying incredible coordination and basketball IQ. But people acted like he was Stromile Swift or something. It should have been clear to anyone that he would be able to score immediately in the NBA, only really lacking strength.

Of course he will get better, everyone does. But that doesn't mean he was "raw". Noel is raw. Noel is basically what people who didn't watch games thought Davis was.

GOBB
11-30-2013, 09:53 PM
Not to be a jerk, but I don't really care what some youtube vid has to say. I watched every second he played at UK. He was only "raw" in a relative sense because his potential is so high. He showed every offensive move you would want out of a big man while at UK, while also displaying incredible coordination and basketball IQ. But people acted like he was Stromile Swift or something. It should have been clear to anyone that he would be able to score immediately in the NBA, only really lacking strength.

Of course he will get better, everyone does. But that doesn't mean he was "raw". Noel is raw. Noel is basically what people who didn't watch games thought Davis was.

Have to agree with the Kentucky fanboy. My thoughts exactly.

Randle and Selden (hopefully future Sixers) how do you like these two?

Meticode
11-30-2013, 09:56 PM

I considered him raw coming out of college, so did many experts. That was the one question about this game and development. So YouTube video aside this is what everyone was looking at because it was under-developed. He's done well.

There were times where I watched UK games he seemed like he wasn't sure what to do in the post and made it up as he went. Again, this is my opinion.

He's worked out well, worthy #1 pick. I can't say the same about what the Cavaliers did this year.

GOBB
11-30-2013, 10:00 PM
I considered him raw coming out of college, so did many experts. That was the one question about this game and development. So YouTube video aside this is what everyone was looking at because it was under-developed. He's done well.

There were times where I watched UK games he seemed like he wasn't sure what to do in the post and made it up as he went. Again, this is my opinion.

He's worked out well, worthy #1 pick. I can't say the same about what the Cavaliers did this year.

Who did you want at #1?