PDA

View Full Version : 1998 Pacers vs Current Pacers: Who you got?

Myth
11-30-2013, 01:42 AM
Pacers are off to their best start in franchise history. The 1998 Pacers almost knocked out the Jordan Bulls.

Current:
George Hill
Lance Stephenson
Roy Hibbert
Paul George
George Hill
Luis Scola
CJ Watson
Ian Mahinmi

1997-98:
Mark Jackson
Reggie Miller
Rik Smits
Chris Mullen
Dale Davis
Antonio Davis
Derrick McKey
Jalen Rose

plowking
11-30-2013, 01:45 AM
Current. They're better everywhere outside of the guard situation, though you have George playing as the distributor/SG a lot of the time too.

ProfessorMurder
11-30-2013, 01:53 AM
Depends which era rules, but I give it to 98 by a hair.

98 has more grit in my opinion.

Hibbert struggles against size, 98 has better PGs, Reggie has to be chased, Davis boys against West/Scola would be fun, Reggie wouldn't stop George.

I'd love to see this series.

D.J.
11-30-2013, 03:07 AM
That '98 squad had so much grit. Dale Davis was the only starter not in his 30s, but they had the perfect combo of scoring, outside shooting, defense, and rebounding. Only 3 averaged double digits, but 7 averaged 8+. They knew how to close out games. And they should have beaten Chicago. Only the second team in the Bulls 6 title runs to force them to 7 games and they also had a double digit lead in the 2nd quarter.

SamuraiSWISH
11-30-2013, 03:36 AM
Depends which era rules, but I give it to 98 by a hair.

98 has more grit in my opinion.

Hibbert struggles against size, 98 has better PGs, Reggie has to be chased, Davis boys against West/Scola would be fun, Reggie wouldn't stop George.

I'd love to see this series.
:applause:

Rose'sACL
11-30-2013, 03:41 AM
by any eras rule, the current pacers would be the best or top 3 defenses in the league in any year in the past.
on offense, 98 pacers would be better.
overall it would be too close to call with the series going to 7 games and probably staying close till 4th quarter.

TheCorporation
11-30-2013, 03:45 AM
http://espnmediazone.com/us/files/2012/12/Antonio_bio.jpg

TheReal Kendall
11-30-2013, 03:49 AM
Gotta take the 98 squad

Out_In_Utah
11-30-2013, 03:56 AM
overall it would be too close to call with the series going to 7 games and probably staying close till 4th quarter.

At which point it becomes Miller time :rockon:

Reggie43
11-30-2013, 09:07 AM
98 Pacers easily mainly because they play very good on both sides of the ball.

3peated
11-30-2013, 09:35 AM
by any eras rule, the current pacers would be the best or top 3 defenses in the league in any year in the past.
on offense, 98 pacers would be better.

this is a really drawn out way to say "i don't know" or "i don't have an opinion"

Rik Smits' Hair
11-30-2013, 09:40 AM
The Dunkin Dutchman

mentallooser
11-30-2013, 11:06 AM
Artest Pacers

hitmanyr2k
11-30-2013, 11:16 AM
At which point it becomes Miller time :rockon:

Don't be so sure. After Game 4 in the '98 ECF Miller was average the rest of the series and the 2nd half of Game 7 he was completely shut down. At one point I forgot he was even on the floor.

East_Stone_Ya
11-30-2013, 11:18 AM
how about 1999/2000 Pacers instead

get these NETS
11-30-2013, 11:48 AM
davis men would bully soft hibbert and fake tough guy west

mckey is a mismatch for modern pacers

and chasing miller would wear out modern pacers perimeter defenders

smits would average 20 and 10

Reggie43
11-30-2013, 09:20 PM
Don't be so sure. After Game 4 in the '98 ECF Miller was average the rest of the series and the 2nd half of Game 7 he was completely shut down. At one point I forgot he was even on the floor.

Sure he was technically "shutdown" offensively in that 4th quarter but most of that may be attributed to the fact that he was willing to defer to his teammates offensively and was focusing all his energy on defending Jordan which he did a very good job at.

Smoke117
11-30-2013, 10:00 PM
davis men would bully soft hibbert and fake tough guy west

mckey is a mismatch for modern pacers

and chasing miller would wear out modern pacers perimeter defenders

smits would average 20 and 10

Rik Smits would not average 10rpg. The guy never even average 8rpg for a season or in the playoffs. In game 7 Pippen led everyone in rebounds with 12. (6 offensive) and the Bulls had 22 offensive rebounds to the Pacers 4. Besides Dale Davis nobody could rebound worth a shit on the 98 team. Reggie played 41 mins and didn't even grab one board which looks really bad when Jordan grabbed 9. (5 offensive)

sportjames23
11-30-2013, 10:29 PM
That '98 squad had so much grit. Dale Davis was the only starter not in his 30s, but they had the perfect combo of scoring, outside shooting, defense, and rebounding. Only 3 averaged double digits, but 7 averaged 8+. They knew how to close out games. And they should have beaten Chicago. Only the second team in the Bulls 6 title runs to force them to 7 games and they also had a double digit lead in the 2nd quarter.

I take the '98 Pacers in this thread, too, but no, they shouldn't have beat the Bulls. In fact, the Bulls should have won in 5 games, but Miller got away with the most blatant push I've ever seen. Some people complain about MJ pushing off on Russell in the Finals that year, but Miller's push was far more obvious. Hell, MJ wasn't even riding him like Russell was riding MJ, but Miller still pushed off.

Reggie43
11-30-2013, 10:38 PM
Rik Smits would not average 10rpg. The guy never even average 8rpg for a season or in the playoffs. In game 7 Pippen led everyone in rebounds with 12. (6 offensive) and the Bulls had 22 offensive rebounds to the Pacers 4. Besides Dale Davis nobody could rebound worth a shit on the 98 team. Reggie played 41 mins and didn't even grab one board which looks really bad when Jordan grabbed 9. (5 offensive)

The Pacers failure to match the rebounding and hustle of the Bulls was the most glaring reason why they lost. From what I remember the Bulls gained most of the loose balls because of their energy and determination which even the bench players provided despite the few mins they had. The Pacers played pretty good defense for the most part but failed to finish the play because of all those aforementioned rebounds they gave up. Add in the fact that this was the game that Tony Kukoc finally decided to show up after being overwhelmed by Dale Davis most of the series

Out_In_Utah
12-01-2013, 05:23 AM

I'm not going to sweat him losing to Jordan's Bulls, because I don't think the current Pacers team even gets to a game 7 against them. Reggie was one of the only guys who could get under Jordan's skin. I can only imagine what he could do to George mentally.

SamuraiSWISH
12-01-2013, 05:43 AM
I take the '98 Pacers in this thread, too, but no, they shouldn't have beat the Bulls. In fact, the Bulls should have won in 5 games, but Miller got away with the most blatant push I've ever seen. Some people complain about MJ pushing off on Russell in the Finals that year, but Miller's push was far more obvious. Hell, MJ wasn't even riding him like Russell was riding MJ, but Miller still pushed off.
MJ didn't even push Russell off him. He patted dude's ass on a pull back crossover. Russell expected a drive after the previous possession getting blown by off the dribble.

He got yanked on the move. It's an over exaggeration made by people to nitpick. It wasn't even savvy. It was clearly the momentum, and the move that put Russell so off balance.

Meanwhile, Reggie flat out shoved MJ out the way. Blatant offensive foul. People forget MJ almost countered that shot with a LONG clutch, double pump three pointer from deep.