PDA

View Full Version : Is Chris Paul greater than Allen Iverson?

PieceOfFelt
11-30-2013, 01:42 PM
Through 8 seasons is Chris Paul a greater player than A.I.? And by the end of his career will Paul be thought of as a greater player than Iverson?

MavsSuperFan
11-30-2013, 01:43 PM
Probably to most people.

Not in my opinion.

AI is severally underrated imo, by efficiency fetishists, who are more impressed with scoring 20 points efficiently than they are with scoring 30 points.

STATUTORY
11-30-2013, 01:44 PM
AI would have dominated this no handcheck, no zone era, especially with the favorable reffing treatment Paul receives and if he adopted a flopping bitch disposition

D-Wade316
11-30-2013, 01:45 PM
Quite easily, to be honest.

$LakerGold
11-30-2013, 01:48 PM
AI carried (no pun intended) his team to the finals. & who does/did Cp3 have?

Aaron Mckie, Eric Snow, Mutombo. :oldlol:

& this is 'The Answer'.

/thread

$LakerGold
11-30-2013, 01:50 PM
But as an individual, still AI. The way he was able to play both positions is just mind f*cking me.

AI, & it's not even close.

$LakerGold
11-30-2013, 01:50 PM
& damn, I'm a Lakers fan. lol

demons2005
11-30-2013, 01:51 PM
:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

Congrats OP on a board full of stupid threads and stupid titles, you have just done the dumbest title I have ever seen a thread :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

CelticBaller
11-30-2013, 01:52 PM
AI was a beast, his FG% is shit because for most of his career he was the only scoring option on a team full of role players

TheReal Kendall
11-30-2013, 01:53 PM
Probably to most people.

Not in my opinion.

AI is severally underrated imo, by efficiency fetishists, who are more impressed with scoring 20 points efficiently than they are with scoring 30 points.

This.

D-Wade316
11-30-2013, 01:54 PM
For real though, there are lots of AI turds in ISH.

atljonesbro
11-30-2013, 01:57 PM
If I were to start a franchise I would take CP3 over A.I. He can go out and get you 20 a game with good efficiency, 10+ dimes, get 2-3 steals which often lead to easy fast break buckets, and play great man to man defense. Extremely well rounded PG. Plus I don't think Cp3 would have any issues co-existing with another star player like A.I. or have any issues adapting to a new role.

CelticBaller
11-30-2013, 02:17 PM
For real though, there are lots of AI turds in ISH.
what? Has CP3 ever lead his team to the finals? Not only that but AI beat the Kobe/Shaq Lakers @ their home. if anything Ai is extremely underappreciated

Marchesk
11-30-2013, 02:21 PM

& this is 'The Answer'.

/thread

Mutombo is underrated. Excellent defender and very good rebounder. He's a very good big to have, provided you have enough scoring elsewhere on the team.

Don't forget that his 8th seeded Denver team upset that #1 seeded Seattle with Payton/Kemp/Shrempf one year in the first round.

IamRAMBO24
11-30-2013, 02:25 PM
what? Has CP3 ever lead his team to the finals? Not only that but AI beat the Kobe/Shaq Lakers @ their home. if anything Ai is extremely underappreciated

Why don't we just wait until Cp3 finishes his career to make an accurate comparison.

Cp3 is simply are more well rounded player and can be an asset on any team, while AI has failed miserably on all teams other than Philly.

CelticBaller
11-30-2013, 02:26 PM
Mutombo is underrated. Excellent defender and very good rebounder. He's a very good big to have, provided you have enough scoring elsewhere on the team.

Don't forget that his 8th seeded Denver team upset that #1 seeded Seattle with Payton/Kemp/Shrempf one year in the first round.
Offensively he was carrying that team, he was the only consistent scoring option on that team.

CelticBaller
11-30-2013, 02:32 PM
Why don't we just wait until Cp3 finishes his career to make an accurate comparison.

Cp3 is simply are more well rounded player and can be an asset on any team, while AI has failed miserably on all teams other than Philly.
AI was what? 26,25 when he led his team to the Finals? Chris Paul is 28 and hasn't done anything close to it.

kNicKz
11-30-2013, 02:33 PM
AI >

It isn't close

OldSkoolball#52
11-30-2013, 02:35 PM
Probably to most people.

Not in my opinion.

So do you think Chris Paul, Russell Westbrook, hell Jamal Crawford etc. could NOT score the way Iverson did on the same percentages?

Iverson was granted rare leeway to hog the offense simply because of the system he was in. This does NOT mean other players could not have done it, in fact it does NOT even mean he got the most out of that system that anyone could have. His IQ was notoriously low.

Allen Iverson had ONE good postseason run. For a message board that emphasizes team success in the postseason so much when ranking individuals, it sure is notable how overlooked it is that Iverson's teams only ever made one conference finals in his career. He played in one conference finals.

Sorry but I don't see what separates Iverson from a number of other players who simply aren't granted the opportunities he was. Larry Brown didnt even LIKE what Iverson was doing on the court, he simply couldn't bench him because Iverson was a star. If you've actually watched Chris Paul, you know he has handles, he can score at the rim, he can score from the three point line, and he has a midrange game. There's no QUESTION he could do what Iverson did if that was best for his team.

Seriously, what did Iverson do that MELO isn't capable of??

Sorry yall. Iverson is overrated simply because of his ppg and all the other cliches about his "heart" and the extra credit he gets for doing what he did at his size.

One playoff run. That's it.

PieceOfFelt
11-30-2013, 02:43 PM

Congrats OP on a board full of stupid threads and stupid titles, you have just done the dumbest title I have ever seen a thread :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Go crawl back into your hole you dimwitted cretin. You're not wanted here or anywhere else for that matter.

PieceOfFelt
11-30-2013, 02:48 PM

Is it hard forming a resume when you only have a 5th grade education?

longtime lurker
11-30-2013, 02:55 PM
They're comparable players, but AI was a huge reason his team was in the finals and has an MVP

OldSkoolball#52
11-30-2013, 03:17 PM
They're comparable players

So why don't you go ahead and compare them as players in a meaningful, articulate, analytical way.

but AI was a huge reason his team was in the finals and has an MVP

:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

GOBB
11-30-2013, 03:17 PM
Only thing CP3 was better than AI at...FLOPPING. :lol

L.Kizzle
11-30-2013, 03:51 PM
Iverson.

tpols
11-30-2013, 04:06 PM
So do you think Chris Paul, Russell Westbrook, hell Jamal Crawford etc. could NOT score the way Iverson did on the same percentages?

Iverson was granted rare leeway to hog the offense simply because of the system he was in. This does NOT mean other players could not have done it, in fact it does NOT even mean he got the most out of that system that anyone could have. His IQ was notoriously low.

Allen Iverson had ONE good postseason run. For a message board that emphasizes team success in the postseason so much when ranking individuals, it sure is notable how overlooked it is that Iverson's teams only ever made one conference finals in his career. He played in one conference finals.

Sorry but I don't see what separates Iverson from a number of other players who simply aren't granted the opportunities he was. Larry Brown didnt even LIKE what Iverson was doing on the court, he simply couldn't bench him because Iverson was a star. If you've actually watched Chris Paul, you know he has handles, he can score at the rim, he can score from the three point line, and he has a midrange game. There's no QUESTION he could do what Iverson did if that was best for his team.

Seriously, what did Iverson do that MELO isn't capable of??

Sorry yall. Iverson is overrated simply because of his ppg and all the other cliches about his "heart" and the extra credit he gets for doing what he did at his size.

One playoff run. That's it.
I don't think CP3 would have the resolve to keep attacking defenses even after many misses and failed attempts. He would try to facilitate Eric snow and Aaron McKie and.. I guess Mutumbo for looks which they would shoot at a low clip and the team would passively go under. Paul would end games with 20/9 on solid efficiency but all he would be doing is passing that negative efficiency off to his teammates instead of accumulating it himself. Iverson would at least go down swinging.

If I had to draft one to build around I'd take cp3 and try to get a second star but if it's a one man type deal I'm taking iverson

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
11-30-2013, 04:12 PM
Quite easily, to be honest.

Nonsense. CP3 is better, not "quite easily" though. AI would wreak havoc in today's game, you know, where ALL guards are able to flourish?

russwest0
11-30-2013, 04:14 PM
Quite easily AI, by far, and it isn't even close.

brain drain
11-30-2013, 04:14 PM
As a basketball player, CP is better.

As an icon for a certain kind of subculture, AI is miles ahead.

So, depends on sports vs marketing value. As a franchise, I'd probably take AI. CP isn't that much better that he'll get you _much_ better results or even a title by himself (although Iversons run was certainly helped by the "quality" of the teams in the east at that time, coludn't have happened at another place or time), so, as a franchise, you might as well try to look fashionable and sell T-Shirts while you're getting nowhere.

longtime lurker
11-30-2013, 04:15 PM
So why don't you go ahead and compare them as players in a meaningful, articulate, analytical way.

:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Shut up. Your act is wearing thin.

leMVP
11-30-2013, 04:33 PM
AI > CP3.

until CP3 gets his ring, this not a question.

sundizz
11-30-2013, 04:48 PM
In what way is CP3 better? If a CP3 team had at least gotten to the finals, or won a ring, there would be an argument. Cp3 has his chances right now to do it. He has good enough players around him to do some damage. The next 3 years will cement it. Thus far, he has failed miserably in the playoffs though.

It's not necessarily Cp3's fault, but Iverson wasn't just shot jacking like people make it seem. He did a lot out there. He was an engine. The question is whether his style of driving is more suited to winning or is Cp3's.

Iverson had a 9 year stretch where he averaged about 30 ppg, 7 dimes per game, 3 bounds per game, with 2.3+ steals per game and got to the line about 10 times per game. That is pretty amazing. The amount of pressure he put on a defense is very underrated. He was an offensive MVP if there ever was one. His motor and constant attack ability is ridiculously underrated. He literally played to try and win games...not to take the most "efficient" shot. There was a year he shot 45% and scored 33 ppg....and got to the line 11.5 times a game. Cp3 is not close to that sort of an offensive weapon.

Cp3 is a better game manager (and probably more fun to play with), but Iverson was as good a scorer as the league has ever seen. People hella overplay his fg %. He had high dime numbers too. He got to the line and put so much pressure on the defense. Whoever were big men always had offensive rebound opportunities because of their man going to help when he got into the key. Bball is so much more than cherry picking one stat to say why a player is good or bad.

Xiao Yao You
11-30-2013, 04:48 PM
Paul

KyleKong
11-30-2013, 04:50 PM
If Paul retired today, no.

At the end of Paul's career, yes.

KyrieTheFuture
11-30-2013, 04:59 PM
Chris Paul wouldn't get AIs teams to the playoffs let alone the finals.

NLZ
11-30-2013, 05:06 PM
lol AI and it's not close.. did AI even play with someone of Blake Griffin's ability in his prime? (which still isn't a lot). Clippers right now better than any of AI's supporting cast. AI 33/8 in prime.. come on man.

moe94
11-30-2013, 05:07 PM
lol AI and it's not close.. did AI even play with someone of Blake Griffin's ability in his prime? (which still isn't a lot). Clippers right now better than any of AI's supporting cast. AI 33/8 in prime.. come on man.

He just played with the DPoTY, best defensive rating, CotY and 6thotY.

NLZ
11-30-2013, 05:09 PM
He just played with the DPoTY, best defensive rating, CotY and 6thotY. winning DPoTY doesn't magically make that player the best and without a doubt... someone has to win it. Drop-off from 1st best to 15th best defender isn't all that much.

moe94
11-30-2013, 05:12 PM
winning DPoTY doesn't magically make that player the best and without a doubt... someone has to win it. Drop-off from 1st best to 15th best defender isn't all that much.

Are you saying Deke is trash?

"Drop-off from 1st best to 15th best defender isn't all that much."

Excruciatingly stupid comment.

NLZ
11-30-2013, 05:15 PM
Are you saying Deke is trash?

"Drop-off from 1st best to 15th best defender isn't all that much."

Excruciatingly stupid comment.
who said he's trash? He was 35 and like the 2nd best player for them... not ideal for AI. Deke being the best player he's ever played with (in his prime) is proof enough of how bad his teams were.

longtime lurker
11-30-2013, 05:15 PM
He just played with the DPoTY, best defensive rating, CotY and 6thotY.

You act like his play didn't influence the CotY and 6th man of the year award. He was MVP after.

Rysio
11-30-2013, 05:16 PM
bunch of stat nerds on this forum. ai was a dominant player something paul has never been in his life.

moe94
11-30-2013, 05:20 PM
bunch of stat nerds on this forum. ai was a dominant player something paul has never been in his life.

You know what this correlates to? I don't like facts being thrown in my face, I have already made up my mind. Here is my baseless and subjective statement.

I very much doubt a single person on this site has not seen Iverson. Iverson is not an old school baller, regardless of how hard you want him to be.

Haymaker
11-30-2013, 05:21 PM
Iverson with a Harden/Manu type SG would've been even better. He had a shit team in Philly.

STATUTORY
11-30-2013, 05:30 PM
You know what this correlates to? I don't like facts being thrown in my face, I have already made up my mind. Here is my baseless and subjective statement.

I very much doubt a single person on this site has not seen Iverson. Iverson is not an old school baller, regardless of how hard you want him to be.

he did spend his prime toiling in the most offensively depressed era of NBA

KyrieTheFuture
11-30-2013, 05:37 PM
COTY is the worst award of all time doesn't Phil have none and mike brown has one? Take that award with a grain of salt.

moe94
11-30-2013, 05:39 PM
COTY is the worst award of all time doesn't Phil have none and mike brown has one? Take that award with a grain of salt.

Phil who? :biggums:

I hope you're not implying what I think you are.

tpols
11-30-2013, 05:51 PM
I agree the award is useless.. but Larry Brown is an all time great coach. He had the bobcats as the best defensive team in the league one year, and in the playoffs. He orchestrated the pistons when they were one of the greatest defensive teams of all time too.. same in philly.

veilside23
11-30-2013, 06:28 PM
who is CP3's coach right now ???

hmm lets wait ...

his roster is definitely better than Ai's roster in philly.

KyrieTheFuture
11-30-2013, 06:49 PM
I agree the award is useless.. but Larry Brown is an all time great coach. He had the bobcats as the best defensive team in the league one year, and in the playoffs. He orchestrated the pistons when they were one of the greatest defensive teams of all time too.. same in philly.
I don't mean to take anything away from him, he's a great coach. However, those teams needed more offensive firepower and he wasn't a coach who could maximize offensive talents. A team can't win a championship if legitimately one player can get you 30 if they need to. Even the dirks mavs had terry along with other elite 3 shooters

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
11-30-2013, 06:58 PM
If u think AI is better than CP3 u dont understand basketball and have a low IQ/love for the game

russwest0
11-30-2013, 07:57 PM
10 years from now people will still be talking about AI yet CP3 will be forgotten

francesco totti
11-30-2013, 08:00 PM
I think paul underachieved with his hornets team, not much this clippers.

but that hornets team had chandler - west frontcourt. thats a beast team defensively...i think AI would have done whole alot more then paul on that hornets team.

unfortunately i dont rate much this clippers in high, i dont think AI would do that better either.

overall, am biased and I take AI

I<3NBA
11-30-2013, 08:01 PM
AI, and it's not even close.

CP3 would not even take one game from Shaq's Lakers. AI did.

that's all you need to know.

TheMarkMadsen
11-30-2013, 08:21 PM
Chia Paul is unbelievably overrated.

Is always discussed as a top 5 player but nobody bats an eye when doesn't make the 2nd round as a 1st seed.

His stats don't reflect his impact, his stats look amazing but how much of the game is he really impacting?

I'm not buying this "Cp3 is a top 3 player" nonsense until I see this guy lead his team to a finals or hell even a conference finals with the current team and coach he has around him.

He has everything you could want if you're a point guard, an all star big man, a rim protecting center, one of the best 6th men in the league, and a plethora of D & 3 players along with a top coach who has a championship pedigree.

Put prime AI on these Clippers and they make the finals

joeyjoejoe
11-30-2013, 08:31 PM
Cp3 and it's not even close, I'vs sixers would be a lottery team in this west, iversons overrated

Purch
11-30-2013, 08:38 PM
I think paul underachieved with his hornets team, not much this clippers.

but that hornets team had chandler - west frontcourt. thats a beast team defensively...i think AI would have done whole alot more then paul on that hornets team.

unfortunately i dont rate much this clippers in high, i dont think AI would do that better either.

overall, am biased and I take AI

I think it's the other way around. I think he overachived with the hornets and underachived thus far with the Clippers.

I remember about 3 years when D-Will was on the Jazz, I was debating a couple hornets fans on "Rgm" about who was the better player. When it came to accomplishments, they kept on referencing the fact that Boozer was more productive than any second option Paul had played with to that point, and that's the reason D-Will made the conference finals and Paul didn't.

So naturally when Paul teamed up with Blake, I expected him to push them to at least the conference finals. But it's never happend, in fact they were actually swept in the first round last season.

So if anything I think he overachived with NO, and underachived with Lac, where he actually has the talent. I'm still waiting to see him bring his team to the conference finals for the first time in his career

Young X
11-30-2013, 09:11 PM
How did Paul underachieve with any team when his teams have never lost to teams clearly worse than his?

How is pushing 2 of the worst franchises in NBA history to becoming relevant underachieving? That's overachieving you idiots.

Dumb n!ggas.

Smoke117
11-30-2013, 09:12 PM
Yes.

moe94
11-30-2013, 09:13 PM
How did Paul underachieve with any team when his teams have never lost to teams clearly worse than his?

He didn't win a game against the Lakers, though nor did he lead a team to the Finals in the worst East of all time.

D.J.
11-30-2013, 09:33 PM
CP3 is obviously more efficient and certainly so when looking at a boxscore, but let's look past shooting percentages for a second. Iverson was a league MVP, took his team to the Finals(regardless of how you feel about the East), was the only team to beat the 2001 Lakers in the playoffs, and put so much fear into opposing defenses.

In a 10 year stretch, Iverson averaged 29/6/4/2+. That also includes 4 scoring titles. As good as CP3 is, he never put fear into opposing defenses like Iverson did. Even on Iverson's worst nights, he was still dropping about 20. At his best, he was dropping 30+ a night with around 6-7 assists, 3-4 rebounds, 2-3 steals, and getting to the line 9-10 times a game. He shot a lower percentage, but he was just so dominant and he did so for a decade. People looked at Iverson and defenses pretty much sh*t their pants because he was everywhere on the court, was relentless, got to the line almost at will, and was always a 40-50 point threat. CP3 is very good, but he's just not on that level.

At age 26, Iverson was a league MVP, already made the Finals, had 2 All-NBA 1st teams, an All-NBA 2nd team, and had 2 scoring titles. CP3 is 2 years older than that, only has 1 more All-NBA 1st team, has never made the Finals, and has only cracked the 20 PPG barrier twice(and none since '09).

Regardless of AI's off court problems, his low shooting percentages, and diva attitude; if you had to choose between the two to be your star player for one season, needed a clutch performance for one game, or needed someone for a playoff series, the answers to all of the above would be Allen Iverson and I can pretty much guarantee any player, coach, or GM would also pick Iverson. He's just too dominant of a player to pass up.

bizil
11-30-2013, 09:33 PM
U could go either way on this one. Even though they are the same size, they played different positions primarily. So I judge Iverson for what he brings at the SG. His combo of scoring and passing is amongst the greatest of all time at SG. And Paul is a pass first PG who also can dominate scoring. Paul is easier to build around cause with AI its good to have a point forward or bigger point guard. I frankly think for different reasons I call this one as close to a draw as u can get. Really comes down to what your team needs. Both are incredibly dominate in different ways, but yet both are similar to each other in others. AI great scorer who's also a great passer. Paul a great passer who's also a great scorer.

Fudge
11-30-2013, 09:36 PM
Idk, to me, it goes like this:

Russell Westbrook > Allen Iverson > Chris Paul

moe94
11-30-2013, 09:39 PM
Regardless of AI's off court problems, his low shooting percentages, and diva attitude; if you had to choose between the two to be your star player for one season, needed a clutch performance for one game, or needed someone for a playoff series, the answers to all of the above would be Allen Iverson and I can pretty much guarantee any player, coach, or GM would also pick Iverson. He's just too dominant of a player to pass up.

I get your point and agree with most of what you said, but I guarantee you no GM in his right mind would ever take Iverson over Chris Paul. It's just not happening.

Also, if you're going to use the measurement of his MVP, of which I still don't agree with, to suggest he's a better player, consider the idea that Paul was infamously robbed of one and also put up an all time great season and then replicated it the year after.

D.J.
11-30-2013, 09:55 PM
I get your point and agree with most of what you said, but I guarantee you no GM in his right mind would ever take Iverson over Chris Paul. It's just not happening.

Also, if you're going to use the measurement of his MVP, of which I still don't agree with, to suggest he's a better player, consider the idea that Paul was infamously robbed of one and also put up an all time great season and then replicated it the year after.

[QUOTE=LeBron James]"Pound-for-pound, probably the greatest player who ever played. They say he was 6 feet, but A.I. was like 5-10

Norcaliblunt
11-30-2013, 10:34 PM
The east sucked so bad Iverson's finals run is meaningless. AI is a legend, but all this propping him up because of making the finals in the weak ass east is a joke.

Bigsmoke
11-30-2013, 10:47 PM
I prefer CP3 and I think he the better player.

KyrieTheFuture
11-30-2013, 11:04 PM
It's not super surprising most of the people voting CP3 have red bars.

Edit: If CP3 or AI had to be the best player on your team, and that team was playing a game for your life, would you really choose CP3 and lesser players over AI and lesser players?

moe94
11-30-2013, 11:09 PM
Edit: If CP3 or AI had to be the best player on your team, and that team was playing a game for your life, would you really choose CP3 and lesser players over AI and lesser players?

What you're asking if who can chuck the hardest among garbage and that is your reasoning for picking Iverson. Really showing that intelligence.

KyrieTheFuture
11-30-2013, 11:17 PM
What you're asking if who can chuck the hardest among garbage and that is your reasoning for picking Iverson. Really showing that intelligence.

Yes, because inferior to AI and CP3 means they're playing with garbage :roll:

moe94
11-30-2013, 11:20 PM
Yes, because inferior to AI and CP3 means they're playing with garbage :roll:

What are you saying then? It's easier to build around a glorified undersized SG than a transitional PG and quite clearly the best of his generation?

atljonesbro
11-30-2013, 11:24 PM
It's not super surprising most of the people voting CP3 have red bars.

Playing over the course of about 10 years Chris Paul is the obvious option. Just a much better overall player than Iverson and isn't selfish and can adapt to different roles. Iverson would never have sniffed a finals in the West.

KyrieTheFuture
11-30-2013, 11:24 PM
What are you saying then? It's easier to build around a glorified undersized SG than a transitional PG and quite clearly the best of his generation?

I find it amusing you call AI undersized and not Chris Paul.

If you want to sit here and call AI overrated then go ahead because nothing I say will shake your biased opinion. You've decided how you want to feel about it, and no facts or argument is gonna change that so go on believing that Paul is better than AI.

ATLjones...has CP3 even sniffed a WCF?

Edit: CP3 is undoubtedly the best PG in the league but AI is just a better individual player.

moe94
11-30-2013, 11:29 PM
I find it amusing you call AI undersized and not Chris Paul.

If you want to sit here and call AI overrated then go ahead because nothing I say will shake your biased opinion. You've decided how you want to feel about it, and no facts or argument is gonna change that so go on believing that Paul is better than AI.

I don't think Iverson is overrated or a bad player, nor do I share this crusade against him. I don't think he'd be easier to build a team around, however. Can you please give me your reasoning? Does it rest entirely on 2001 and going to the Finals? :coleman:

ralph_i_el
12-01-2013, 10:29 AM

& this is 'The Answer'.

/thread

You would be a lakers fan. The Bucks got jobbed by the league that year just as bad as the Kings did. That year should have been Kings-Bucks (which no one would watch) but the league couldn't let that happen.

CP3>AI

Missed shots hurt your team

FatComputerNerd
12-01-2013, 10:52 AM
CP3 is obviously a better PG, and depending on makeup of the roster I'd probably pick him over AI to start my team with.

That said, AI was far more dominant overall as a #1 option, and I think 20 years from now AI will be remembered and talked about more than CP3.

Don't forget, AI was sort of the face of the league for a bit there after MJ, and I think a lot of people have really forgotten (or are too young to remember) just how good he was.

ripthekik
12-01-2013, 11:07 AM
CP3 is obviously a better PG, and depending on makeup of the roster I'd probably pick him over AI to start my team with.

That said, AI was far more dominant overall as a #1 option, and I think 20 years from now AI will be remembered and talked about more than CP3.

Don't forget, AI was sort of the face of the league for a bit there after MJ, and I think a lot of people have really forgotten (or are too young to remember) just how good he was.
:applause:

I love all the people that said AI in this thread. Because they're correct.

It's AI and it ain't close. CP3 has some pretty good teams and what has he done so far? Where did he get to last playoffs? Don't shit me. He hasn't done jack.

His old new orlean teams were similar with 76ers in terms of talent.. did he get them to the finals?? he's not close

Teanett
12-01-2013, 11:14 AM
chris paul has done nothing compared to ai.

yobore
12-01-2013, 11:22 AM
AI's reputation as a winner stems from a single cupcake walk to the finals in an extremely weak conference with some great ref help which even AI was mad about how much the refs were helping his team vs the Bucks in a 7 game series.

The bucks were the second ranked team in the EC with 52 wins. For reference, Paul has only once played a team with 52 wins or less and utterly dismantled them.

kurple
12-01-2013, 11:27 AM
AI's reputation as a winner stems from a single cupcake walk to the finals in an extremely weak conference with some great ref help which even AI was mad about how much the refs were helping his team vs the Bucks in a 7 game series.

The bucks were the second ranked team in the EC with 52 wins. For reference, Paul has only once played a team with 52 wins or less and utterly dismantled them.
CP3
David West
Tyson Chandler

that core (not a bad core) got humiliated by the melo nuggets. 4-0 sweep with a 60pt win IN NEW ORLEANS

i never got why paul always gets a pass for his lack of playoffs dominance

yobore
12-01-2013, 11:34 AM
CP3
David West
Tyson Chandler

that core (not a bad core) got humiliated by the melo nuggets. 4-0 sweep with a 60pt win IN NEW ORLEANS

i never got why paul always gets a pass for his lack of playoffs dominance
It was 4-1, Chandler was injured, Paul himself was injured, besides Paul and West none of those players were in the league or in a rotation on whatever teams they ended up with the following year, and he hasn't gotten a pass. In his three healthy playoffs he's had the highest PER in the league and put up some dominant performances. I honestly think it is coincidence that he hasn't gone further. His best years he's faced better opponents and his teammates have shrunk away or been injured (last year), or not been playoff-caliber to begin with (Lakers series).

CelticBaller
12-01-2013, 11:38 AM
chris paul has done nothing compared to ai.
Of course he has, he has been a scoring champion, led his team to the finals and win an MVP. CP3>>>>

atljonesbro
12-01-2013, 12:47 PM
Of course he has, he has been a scoring champion, led his team to the finals and win an MVP. CP3>>>>
Eastern conference. I feel bad you'd rather see 360 off the backboard no scope lay ups than solid basketball play. Cp3 could definitely get to the finals in that pathetic conference. Plus you could pair Paul with another star and he wouldn't be a little diva b*tch

ripthekik
12-01-2013, 12:50 PM
It was 4-1, Chandler was injured, Paul himself was injured, besides Paul and West none of those players were in the league or in a rotation on whatever teams they ended up with the following year, and he hasn't gotten a pass. In his three healthy playoffs he's had the highest PER in the league and put up some dominant performances. I honestly think it is coincidence that he hasn't gone further. His best years he's faced better opponents and his teammates have shrunk away or been injured (last year), or not been playoff-caliber to begin with (Lakers series).
Excuses excuses.
Talk about injury, wanna know AI's list of injuries? :rolleyes:

Young X
12-01-2013, 12:53 PM
His old new orlean teams were similar with 76ers in terms of talent.. did he get them to the finals?? he's not closeLook at the teams he faced in the west:

56 win Spurs (defending champs)
54 win Nuggets
58 win Lakers (defending champs)
62 win Spurs
56 win Grizzlies

NO elite player faced tougher competition than CP.

His playoff averages: 21/9.5/5/2

Oscar Robertson took 10 years to get past the 2nd round, would you guys take someone like Tony Parker above him just because he had more team success? Or does this only apply to CP?

Legends66NBA7
12-01-2013, 12:56 PM
Plus you could pair Paul with another star and he wouldn't be a little diva b*tch

Paul already is a "little diva bitch".

DMAVS41
12-01-2013, 01:26 PM
I'd rather build around Paul, but it's close overall.

yobore
12-01-2013, 01:35 PM
Excuses excuses.
Talk about injury, wanna know AI's list of injuries? :rolleyes:
Yeah Iverson may have had more injuries... he also wasn't as good of a playoff performer as Paul. Career TS% below .500 in playoffs while chucking his heart out. Generally if your TS% isn't above .500, the more you shoot the more you're hurting your team. Iverson never had playoff success except for one year when the best team they beat was a 52-win Bucks and they only won because of what Iverson himself admitted was a rigged series. Paul would have won those series too with the kind of defense that team played and the bad competition/reffing.