PDA

View Full Version : Is Lebron James a better three point shooter than Kobe Bryant?

jstern
12-01-2013, 08:35 AM
It's hard to think of Lebron as a better 3 point shooter than Kobe, but Kobe hasn't shot better from the 3 point line since the 2008-2009 season

Lebron: .340 career 3 point shooter.
Kobe: .334 career 3 point shooter.

(Not including Kobe's rookie season with the shorter 3 point line, to give a better comparison)

Haymaker
12-01-2013, 08:36 AM
He's a SMARTER shooter. He only takes open shots. But Kobe is by far the better 3pt shooter.

RoundMoundOfReb
Over their career probably not but prime for prime Yes

NLZ
He's a SMARTER shooter. He only takes open shots. But Kobe is by far the better 3pt shooter.
this

BigTicket
12-01-2013, 08:40 AM
I'm not sure he's a better shooter, but he certainly does have better shot selection.

Jameerthefear
12-01-2013, 08:42 AM
I'm not sure he's a better shooter, but he certainly does have better shot selection.
This. LBJ is money on open 3s, so I'd have to go with him.

BigTicket
12-01-2013, 08:43 AM

You must have missed the last two seasons. LeBron is hitting nearly 50% of his threes this year. Kobe is not far better than that, and he never has been.

I<3NBA
12-01-2013, 08:46 AM
Kobe is a better shooter. because he can make it even when guarded. Lebron can only make open threes.

Magic 32
12-01-2013, 08:51 AM
He's a SMARTER shooter. He only takes open shots. But

If I had to put my life on the line, give me Kobe's "dumber" 3-point shots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE7RCNjx22g

Some of these shots were not even hitting the rim.

Element
12-01-2013, 08:52 AM

Yup

If LeBron was taking 5 3's a game, with fadeaways and heat checks sprinkled in dude would be shooting in the low 30's at best.

Prime Kobe since he developed his three ball (he first started attempting them on volume in the 02 playoffs) is at .349 3P% on 4.8 attempts a game for the regular season (03-10).

LeBron has been attempting them on reasonable volume since his rookie season, really, but to be fair I'll only list his numbers from 09-onwards (which is when his jumpshot first made a big leap). .351% on 3.9 attempts a game. So yeah, this is not really close especially if you factor in shot selection and playoffs.

LeBron in playoffs, 09-present (92 games):

.340% @ 4.3 3PA. Has shot under his average twice. Peak: .400% @ 4.5 3PA in 2010.

Kobe, 02-10 (132 games):

.342% @ 4.7 3PA. During that timespan, he's only shot under .349% twice, though. Peak: .403% @ 5.2 3PA in 2003.

Not close, nothing to see here. Same with mid-range percentages. LeBron has only had one year on prime Kobe's level from mid-range (last year) and has absolutely sucked every year in the playoffs except for 09.

Quickening
12-01-2013, 08:58 AM
There is always an excuse when Kobe is worse with stats... why can't people just accept he is not that good.

He has had plenty of open looks throughout his career, playing on stacked rosters, and yet has never shot close to what Lebron is doing this year from 3, its because he is just not that good, simple really.

BigTicket
12-01-2013, 09:00 AM
If LeBron was taking 5 3's a game, with fadeaways and heat checks sprinkled in dude would be shooting in the low 30's at best.
Kobe is shooting in the low 30's himself ...

Human Error
12-01-2013, 09:01 AM
If I had to put my life on the line, give me Kobe's "dumber" 3-point shots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE7RCNjx22g

Some of these shots were not even hitting the rim.
You will live a very short life then. lolz

Magic 32
12-01-2013, 09:03 AM
You will live a very short life then. lolz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l5_p7mnm5Y&t=6m23s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY6DIwzLj_8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn3nw6eodrE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpWAyV-S7P0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVYvwjJW9xA

Unbiased_one
12-01-2013, 09:03 AM

Not close, nothing to see here. Same with mid-range percentages. LeBron has only had one year on prime Kobe's level from mid-range (last year) and has absolutely sucked every year in the playoffs except for 09.

34% on 4.3 tries per game and 34.2% on 4.7 tries per game are very close...

Trollsmasher
12-01-2013, 09:09 AM
LeBron is in a different stratosphere as a 3 pointer shooter. Kobe has always been average at best and has never shown any kind of improvement.

Element
12-01-2013, 09:16 AM
34% on 4.3 tries per game and 34.2% on 4.7 tries per game are very close...

Yeah, on paper. For one, Kobe's shooting better at a higher volume and secondly, his shot selection is much worse.

In terms of shooting ability, LeBron's not close to Kobe. Kobe has the better percentages from any area except right at the rim, on higher volume with worse shot selection.

It's crazy how LeBron fans are trying to prop up their guy in every area they can. Insecurity, much? You're already cheering for, at worst, a Top 11 GOAT and the best player in the league by far.

qrich
12-01-2013, 09:16 AM

[/thread]

Unbiased_one
12-01-2013, 09:21 AM
Yeah, on paper. For one, Kobe's shooting better at a higher volume and secondly, his shot selection is much worse.

In terms of shooting ability, LeBron's not close to Kobe. Kobe has the better percentages from any area except right at the rim, on higher volume with worse shot selection.

It's crazy how LeBron fans are trying to prop up their guy in every area they can. Insecurity, much? You're already cheering for, at worst, a Top 11 GOAT and the best player in the league by far.

:lol: I'm not a LeBron fan.

Isn't shot selection part of shooting? And actually one part of your post isn't true. If I remember correctly LeBron was a significantly better midrange shooter last season on comparable volume

NumberSix
12-01-2013, 09:35 AM
LeBron IS a better 3 point shooter. One of the main reasons being that he's a harder cover and he's less predictable than Kobe.

Nelson14
12-01-2013, 09:49 AM

this, kobe takes allot of tough 3's

Element
12-01-2013, 09:49 AM
:lol: I'm not a LeBron fan.

Isn't shot selection part of shooting? And actually one part of your post isn't true. If I remember correctly LeBron was a significantly better midrange shooter last season on comparable volume

Shot selection affects your percentages more than anything else. Stephen Curry shoots 43% from deep on 7.6 attempts a game. Spotting up and in catch & shoot situations he's way over 50%.The Warriors, however, know that Steph can get his shot off at any time and often look for him to create a 3 out of nothing, as a last resort - he converts a fadeaway/pull up from the top of the key at 37%. Of course he takes those shots even when he's not being asked to do it, because the probability of that shot going in at any given situation is the same - 1 sec left on the clock, bla bla. Sometimes your play is broken up, sometimes, as a player, you don't know if your team can create a better shot in time. That's when you take those fadeaway, etc. It's bad if you do it when players are wide-open, but even then it's different when you've got Ray Allen wide open or Smush fuggin Parker. And players like Kobe or Curry are good enough and confident enough to take them. Catch my drift?

It's great to have that in your arsenal and if you're like Kobe and the team depends on you as the lone creator on the perimeter (with the paint clogged due to spacing/already having post players), you'll need to hoist up some bad ones from time to time. For example, in the early 00's Kobe was already shooting a lot of mid-range shots. By design! With Shaq in there, he couldn't just drive whenever he wanted. To open up Shaq's post up game, he needed to get better at the in-between game, and that's what he did. Not saying his shot selection is ideal but just saying that percentages don't take that into account.

Now, on-topic, LeBron:

Mid-range: 43.2% @ 403 FGA

Here (http://stats.nba.com/playerStats.html?PlayerID=2544&Season=2012-13&groupFeedtype=splitsShooting&MeasureType=Base&PerMode=Totals)

That was his best mark ever. Now Kobe last year:

Mid-range: 42.3% @ 542 FGA

check it out (http://stats.nba.com/playerStats.html?PlayerID=977&groupFeedtype=splitsShooting&MeasureType=Base&PerMode=Totals)

Notice the disparity in FGA? And then you factor in that LeBron is much more conservative with his shot selection and you can see that it's not close.

ohdilly
12-01-2013, 09:58 AM
Would the defense rather have Kobe or Lebron take a 3pt shot? Midrange? Freethrow? One of them doesn't get any breathing room while the other is sometimes dared to shoot.

Quickening
12-01-2013, 10:27 AM
Kobe fans using the same logic as clutch... Kobe is a better 3 point shooter because he takes tough shots! Kobe is a better clutch shooter because he takes lots of contested shots, and misses because defences know what he is going to do... but ITS ok if he shoots terrible percentages, because he doesn't give a fck, clutch gawd, 3 point GAWD!:lol :lol :roll:

FatComputerNerd
12-01-2013, 10:37 AM
Kobe was the better scorer overall, and obviously a better mid-range shooter, but Lebron is the better 3-point shooter.

Element
12-01-2013, 10:40 AM
Kobe fans using the same logic as clutch... Kobe is a better 3 point shooter because he takes tough shots! Kobe is a better clutch shooter because he takes lots of contested shots, and misses because defences know what he is going to do... but ITS ok if he shoots terrible percentages, because he doesn't give a fck, clutch gawd, 3 point GAWD!:lol :lol :roll:

Lmfao you LeStan, read my post

And check the links. LeBron's CAREER BEST MARK is 43.2% on 403 FGA

34 year old Kobe posted 42.3% on 542 FGA from mid-range just last year

And I provided the 3P shooting breakdown a page back.

Eric Cartman
12-01-2013, 10:46 AM
Kobe was the better scorer overall, and obviously a better mid-range shooter, but Lebron is the better 3-point shooter.

This.

Tmuston Beltics
12-01-2013, 11:03 AM
Not a big difference between these two. LBJ scores 6 more 3 pointers per 1000 attempted shots.

NumberSix
12-01-2013, 11:08 AM
Would the defense rather have Kobe or Lebron take a 3pt shot? Midrange? Freethrow? One of them doesn't get any breathing room while the other is sometimes dared to shoot.
Yeah, you can't swarm LeBron on the 3 point line because he's just gonna pass it and you'll be in a bad position to defend. You can get close up to Kobe because you know he's gonna either shoot it or dribble for 18 seconds.

ripthekik
12-01-2013, 11:11 AM
Yeah, you can't swarm LeBron on the 3 point line because he's just gonna pass it and you'll be in a bad position to defend. You can get close up to Kobe because you know he's gonna either shoot it or dribble for 18 seconds.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Yao Ming's Foot
12-01-2013, 11:13 AM
Remember when the Spurs decided to leave Kobe wide open on the perimeter in the playoffs....... me neither

ohdilly
12-01-2013, 11:29 AM

I don't think that answers the question of who the better shooter is.

brownmamba00
12-01-2013, 11:33 AM
Does LeBron even take 3s these days?

Kobe in general is the better shooter

STATUTORY
12-01-2013, 11:38 AM
depends what you mean by the question, if you meant who shoots a better 3p% for their career then the answer is tautological based on the stats

but if you are asking who would shoot higher percentage if they are given the same shots with equal level of difficulty then the answer is Kobe and any real fan will be able to tell you that with certitude.

PJR
12-01-2013, 11:39 AM
LeBron is better than Kobe at every single facet of the game of basketball, with the lone exception being foul shooting.

#factsonly

STATUTORY
12-01-2013, 11:40 AM
LeBron is better than Kobe at every single facet of the game of basketball, with the lone exception being foul shooting.

#factsonly
you seem dumb

pauk
12-01-2013, 11:53 AM
Yes he is.

cos88
12-01-2013, 11:57 AM

#factsonly

good point. to be fair i would also say mid range shot also and that's about all.

pauk
12-01-2013, 12:00 PM
depends what you mean by the question, if you meant who shoots a better 3p% for their career then the answer is tautological based on the stats

but if you are asking who would shoot higher percentage if they are given the same shots with equal level of difficulty then the answer is Kobe and any real fan will be able to tell you that with certitude.

This excuse is sad... is it so hard to just accept and move on?
Do you really need to act like Lebron shoots them like Steve Kerr or something, waiting to be entirely open 24-7? Lebron shoots better 3's, if you dont care about the percentages at that volume then watch the games, he shoots them however you want it, no differently than how Kobe or anybody else shoots them, he shoots them only less because he is able to get much higher percentage shots much more often than Kobe especially at this current stage....

STATUTORY
12-01-2013, 12:06 PM
This excuse is sad... is it so hard to just accept and move on?
Do you really need to act like Lebron shoots them like Steve Kerr or something, waiting to be entirely open 24-7? Lebron shoots better 3's, if you dont care about the percentages at that volume then watch the games, he shoots them however you want it, no differently than how Kobe or anybody else shoots them, he shoots them only less because he is able to get much higher percentage shots much more often than Kobe especially at this current stage....

you saw the defense sagging off him and daring him to shoot last finals? Defense regularly gives him the space for open 3's because of his passing and great reliance of the pick and roll.

While with Kobe, defense is basically draped all over him as soon as he crosses the three point line.

it's simple, if Kobe and Lebron went the gym and shot 1000 open threes, there's not a doubt in my mind Kobe makes a higher percentage. And to me that's the barometer for what better shooter is.

three point fg% is a function of other parts of their game, how they are defended, risk appetite on shots, etc etc

greymatter
12-01-2013, 12:08 PM
Lmfao you LeStan, read my post

And check the links. LeBron's CAREER BEST MARK is 43.2% on 403 FGA

34 year old Kobe posted 42.3% on 542 FGA from mid-range just last year

And I provided the 3P shooting breakdown a page back.

Too bad the topic is 3pt shooting and the post you responded to was about 3pt shooting. Grasp at straws much?

Quickening
12-01-2013, 12:12 PM
you saw the defense sagging off him and daring him to shoot last finals? Defense regularly gives him the space for open 3's because of his passing and great reliance of the pick and roll.

While with Kobe, defense is basically draped all over him as soon as he crosses the three point line.

it's simple, if Kobe and Lebron went the gym and shot 1000 open threes, there's not a doubt in my mind Kobe makes a higher percentage. And to me that's the barometer for what better shooter is.

three point fg% is a function of other parts of their game, how they are defended, risk appetite on shots, etc etc

Kobe must have an insane amount of assists per game considering the whole defence swarms him as soon as he gets the ball.:roll: :applause:

STATUTORY
12-01-2013, 12:13 PM
Kobe must have an insane amount of assists per game considering the whole defence swarms him as soon as he gets the ball.:roll: :applause:

Kobe is the only player I have seen to get consistently double teamed or even triple teamed from the 3 point line in his prime

meanwhile Spurs guarded Lebron like he had leprosy during the finals :roll: :roll:

Element
12-01-2013, 12:14 PM
Too bad the topic is 3pt shooting and the post you responded to was about 3pt shooting. Grasp at straws much?

Uhm

Yup

Prime Kobe since he developed his three ball (he first started attempting them on volume in the 02 playoffs) is at .349 3P% on 4.8 attempts a game for the regular season (03-10).

LeBron has been attempting them on reasonable volume since his rookie season, really, but to be fair I'll only list his numbers from 09-onwards (which is when his jumpshot first made a big leap). .351% on 3.9 attempts a game. So yeah, this is not really close especially if you factor in shot selection and playoffs.

LeBron in playoffs, 09-present (92 games):

.340% @ 4.3 3PA. Has shot under his average twice. Peak: .400% @ 4.5 3PA in 2010.

Kobe, 02-10 (132 games):

.342% @ 4.7 3PA. During that timespan, he's only shot under .349% twice, though. Peak: .403% @ 5.2 3PA in 2003.

greymatter
12-01-2013, 12:16 PM

D12 shoots FTs at over 80% in practice. How useful is that? But hey, Kobe can probably outshoot Lebron in a shootaround!11one!

A Kobe circle jerk somewhere is missing one of its members.

greymatter
12-01-2013, 12:20 PM
Uhm

Er.....derp derp....duuh.....bwa?

Post you responded to:

Element
12-01-2013, 12:22 PM
Er.....derp derp....duuh.....bwa?

Post you responded to:

Same post I said

"AND I PROVIDED 3PT SHOOTING BREAKDOWN A PAGE BACK"

Which is relevant to his waffling on about 3pt Gawd and what not

STATUTORY
12-01-2013, 12:25 PM
D12 shoots FTs at over 80% in practice. How useful is that? But hey, Kobe can probably outshoot Lebron in a shootaround!11one!

A Kobe circle jerk somewhere is missing one of its members.

if Kobe and Lebron took the same shots based on the same looks, i.e if they were guarded identically and took the exact same shots, Kobe would lead Bron by miles

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
12-01-2013, 12:26 PM
Uhh Kobe is a better shooter from just about everywhere on the court. What separates the two is shot selection and teamplay.

Bandito
12-01-2013, 12:50 PM
Uhh Kobe is a better shooter from just about everywhere on the court. What separates the two is shot selection and teamplay.
QFT and I am a huge Kobe fan.:applause:

RRR3
12-01-2013, 02:06 PM
Why do people pretend like Kobe is a good three point shooter? He's had good years in terms of 3PT% considering volume and defensive attention, but he's also had a lot of terrible 3PT shooting years. LeBron used to chuck threes back in Cleveland btw, and his percentage was roughly the same as Kobe's (33-34%)

IncarceratedBob
12-01-2013, 03:27 PM
If KB shot only wide open 3's ala LBJ he would shoot ~70%. Those are basically practice shots.

jstern
12-01-2013, 03:47 PM
Even if Kobe was smarter about his shot, I can't imagine him shooting 50% from the three. You just have to give Lebron some credit for what he's doing this yer.

Element
12-01-2013, 03:51 PM
Why do people pretend like Kobe is a good three point shooter? He's had good years in terms of 3PT% considering volume and defensive attention, but he's also had a lot of terrible 3PT shooting years. LeBron used to chuck threes back in Cleveland btw, and his percentage was roughly the same as Kobe's (33-34%)

He is, lol.

The shooting talent is clearly there, the shot selection isn't. His spamming of the three point shot even when he's not feeling it is my biggest gripe about him tbh. When's the last time you've seen Kobe take even a semi-open three?

Le Shaqtus
12-01-2013, 03:58 PM
It's not often you see LeBron miss an open 3, if it's open I'm going with him. Otherwise it's Kobe because he has a knack for making tough shots.

DMAVS41
12-01-2013, 04:05 PM
I don't think I've ever seen this before. The criticism of Lebron is basically that if he wasn't a good athlete or big (Lebron)...that he wouldn't be Lebron.

It makes no sense. What makes Lebron great is not his skill set. It's his skill set combined with his size and athleticism.

Kobe is clearly the more skilled player, but also clearly the worse overall basketball player.

Here's a hint people...you don't grade on a curve. Size and athleticism are really important for how good a player is at basketball.

I could just see you morons talking about Kareem back in the day and talking about how he wouldn't be great if he wasn't so tall or something.

The never ending hatred of Lebron is really getting annoying at this point.

Lebron plays great...it's stat padding. Just hilarious. You Kobe fans really need to understand that there are many different ways to play the game. You don't have to be a high volume average efficiency perimeter scorer to be good at basketball.

:facepalm

HomieWeMajor
12-01-2013, 04:05 PM
All star weekend get it done Silver

LoneyROY7
12-01-2013, 04:08 PM
Kobe is quite clearly the better shooter. LeBron has the better shot selection.

It's pretty simple guys.

Element
12-01-2013, 04:08 PM
It's not often you see LeBron miss an open 3, if it's open I'm going with him. Otherwise it's Kobe because he has a knack for making tough shots.

while that's true, it's not often you see Kobe take an open 3 at all :lol

That's the part where shooting percentage is thrown out of the window if you're trying to defend them. Kobe not only shoots them slightly better at a higher volume, he also takes much tougher shots. Therefore his shooting skill>LeBron's

Jesus, is it so hard to grasp? I mean for real, what makes Bron play at a Top 5 peak level is not, and I repeat, IS NOT, his jumpshooting. My goodness :oldlol:

Hoopz2332
12-01-2013, 05:10 PM
lebron is a better 3 pt shooter than especially when he's set and spotting up. This myth that lebron only takes wide open 3's has to stop:oldlol: here is breakdown on lebron's 3pt shooting last season. Lebron is beast from 3 guarded or unguared as long as he's on balance.

http://i.imgur.com/bOzrQt2.png

http://hoopchalk.com/2013/05/29/why-can-lebron-james-shoot-three-pointers-all-of-a-sudden/

Vertical-24
12-01-2013, 05:29 PM

Quite frankly all that needs to be said.
Kobe has always been the superior shooter, LeBron has always been superior in terms of shot selection. He takes and makes higher percentage shots. Kobe has also consistently taken more threes then LeBron, many of them also more than likely contested.

Leftimage
12-01-2013, 05:43 PM
Quite frankly all that needs to be said.
Kobe has always been the superior shooter, LeBron has always been superior in terms of shot selection. He takes and makes higher percentage shots. Kobe has also consistently taken more threes then LeBron, many of them also more than likely contested.

Give me a break, Lebron has made a shit-ton of hero-ball three-pointers over the course of his career. Too many to list. And let's not even get into discussing the ''super long range'' three, a shot in which Lebron is clearly more accurate than Kobe.

Lebron during a Heat check doesn't care who is defending him. Likewise with Kobe.

In recent years imo Lebron has had better form, and been a sharper 3-point shooter than Kobe.

Hoopz2332
12-01-2013, 05:47 PM
Give me a break, Lebron has made a shit-ton of hero-ball three-pointers over the course of his career. Too many to list. And let's not even get into discussing the ''super long range'' three, a shot in which Lebron is clearly more accurate than Kobe.

Lebron during a Heat check doesn't care who is defending him. Likewise with Kobe.

In recent years imo Lebron has had better form, and been a sharper 3-point shooter than Kobe.

It's like some of the people have never watched lebron play.:oldlol: Dude took tons of "heat checks" on the Cavs and he still does it to smaller degree on the heat. These kObe stans are reaching for the stars trying to convince themselves that all lebron shoots is wide open shots.:lol

KobeClutchAsFK
12-01-2013, 05:52 PM
current LeBron is absolutely a better 3pt shooter than kobe.

kobe way better from midrange.

LBJ 23
12-01-2013, 06:00 PM
LeBron used to chuck threes back in Cleveland btw, and his percentage was roughly the same as Kobe's (33-34%)

Excatly. Lebron was having heat checks like the one posted below constantly with Cavs and he still shot it around 33%. Almost always every 3 pointer he hit was followed by another contested or long distance 3 to see if his jumper is falling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esmDUkRSSUc

Leftimage
12-01-2013, 06:04 PM
Lebron is taller and has better lift than Kobe, not to mention he is a more dangerous driving threat. So of course he'll make nailing 3s seem more effortless. Let's not mistake hard-to-defend shots for ''open 3s''.

What's so awesome with Lebron is his ability to freeze defenders just by standing there. His ability to get to the rim completely phucks up the mindset of whoever's on him. It's a huge asset and makes him a more dangerous long-range threat than most other players. Moreso than Kobe.

jstern
12-01-2013, 08:37 PM
Lebron is taller and has better lift than Kobe, not to mention he is a more dangerous driving threat. So of course he'll make nailing 3s seem more effortless. Let's not mistake hard-to-defend shots for ''open 3s''.

What's so awesome with Lebron is his ability to freeze defenders just by standing there. His ability to get to the rim completely phucks up the mindset of whoever's on him. It's a huge asset and makes him a more dangerous long-range threat than most other players. Moreso than Kobe.

Your avatar

http://global3.memecdn.com/black-kid-knows-what-he-is-doing_o_1342433.jpg

Leftimage
12-01-2013, 08:54 PM
Good eye :pimp:

Hoopz2332
12-02-2013, 10:41 AM
lebron is a better 3 pt shooter than especially when he's set and spotting up. This myth that lebron only takes wide open 3's has to stop:oldlol: here is breakdown on lebron's 3pt shooting last season. Lebron is beast from 3 guarded or unguared as long as he's on balance.

http://i.imgur.com/bOzrQt2.png

http://hoopchalk.com/2013/05/29/why-can-lebron-james-shoot-three-pointers-all-of-a-sudden/

Kobe stans avoiding the hell out of this post:lol

AintNoSunshine
12-02-2013, 11:40 AM
Kobe is a better shooter. because he can make it even when guarded. Lebron can only make open threes.

Just because he's actually smart enough to not shoot a 3 when guarded and actually has the ability to opt for a better shot does not mean he can only make open 3s :facepalm

Bigsmoke
12-02-2013, 11:43 AM
Kobe a better 3 point shooter

Hoopz2332
12-02-2013, 03:13 PM
Kobe stans avoiding the hell out of this post:lol

:confusedshrug:

Dresta
12-02-2013, 04:49 PM
Don't know why fools on here are talking about volume as if that has something to do with it: Kobe averages less 3pt makes for his career than Bron is making this season, and he shoots 33.6%.

scm5
12-02-2013, 04:53 PM
Yes, Lebron is a better 3 point shooter than Kobe is.

Element
12-02-2013, 05:01 PM
Don't know why fools on here are talking about volume as if that has something to do with it: Kobe averages less 3pt makes for his career than Bron is making this season, and he shoots 33.6%.
This is what makes your post sound uninformed "fool":

1) Comparing career numbers versus LeBron at his 3pt shooting peak
2) Disregarding the prime vs prime numbers (hint: Kobe wasn't always a three point shooter, and LeBron improved his J big time in 09)
3) Claiming volume is useless.

One question. Steph Curry 7.7 3PA @ 43% more impressive or Kyle Korver 5.6 3PA @ 46%. Factor in shot selection - who's the better shooter?

Eat Like A Bosh
12-02-2013, 05:44 PM
Percentages don't tell the whole story without context. LeBron simply has a better shot selection. And his playmaking enables him to pick his shots better.

If they were all going in a 3 point contest, I bet Durant, Kobe, Melo will all outshoot LeBron. Well maybe not this old Kobe with a f*cked up finger, but who knows?

Mr Exlax
12-02-2013, 05:50 PM

I'd say the same thing with anything outside the paint.

Hoopz2332
12-02-2013, 05:55 PM
Percentages don't tell the whole story without context. LeBron simply has a better shot selection. And his playmaking enables him to pick his shots better.

If they were all going in a 3 point contest, I bet Durant, Kobe, Melo will all outshoot LeBron. Well maybe not this old Kobe with a f*cked up finger, but who knows?

Lebron has elite spot up shooting ability.

He crushed the rest of the league in PER last season with a 31.7, just shy of his career high. He shot a ridiculous 56.5 percent from the field. He scored more points in the paint per game than anybody else in the league. He dished out more assists than most point guards. He registered a higher rebound rate than Marc Gasol and Robin Lopez. Defensively, he's tall, quick and strong enough to guard just about anyone in the league, and he almost did.

And if all that wasn't enough, consider this: He now wields one of the most potent jumpers in the league. Only Jose Calderon averaged more points per spot-up play than James, according to Synergy Sports.

Most efficient spot-up players, 2012-13 regular season(Min. 100 plays)

Player Plays Points PPP
Jose Calderon 187 281 1.50
LeBron James 143 195 1.36
Kyle Korver 224 301 1.34
Steve Nash 114 153 1.32
Stephen Curry 226 294 1.30

James' name pops up near the top of all the jump-shot leaderboards for last season. And that includes the unguarded catch-and-shoot category, in which he effectively shot 73.1 percent once you account for the added value of 3s. Only five players were more lethal with open shots. While he couldn't find his shot in the Finals until the very end, he ended up converting 37.5 percent of his 3s in the postseason, which is well above average. (For perspective, Kevin Durant shot 31.3 percent from deep in the playoffs.)

He even beats Ray Allen in 3pt shooting contests

LeBron James continues to raise the bar

1. He's shooting 3s like Ray Allen.

First, a little story: Several of the team's finest shooters would participate in a shooting contest every day after practice during the season. This has been a daily ritual for years now, but Allen's presence raised the stakes for Miami's sharpshooters such as Mike Miller, James Jones, Shane Battier, Mario Chalmers and other ambitious players.

So, one day after a long shooting competition that wrapped up a preseason practice, Allen walked over to the waiting media huddle, wiped off his sweat with his jersey and began fielding questions.

Predictably, here was the first query: So, did you win the shooting contest?

Allen shook his head and laughed, "Nope. LeBron did, believe it or not."

This has happened a few times. Allen comes over to the media and he admits that James has beaten him in a shooting contest. Wait -- James consistently beating arguably the greatest 3-point shooter in a shooting contest? How is this possible?

I asked myself the same question late Monday night after watching James hit 3-point shot after 3-point shot against the poor Rockets. On the night, James scored 38 points with 15 of those points coming from beyond the arc. James is now shooting 52 percent (13-for-25) from downtown on the season, just shy of Allen's 54 percent rate.

When it comes to the 3-point shot, James has never enjoyed a hotter start. His previous high in 3-point percentage through eight games was back in 2006-07, when he shot 43.8 percent (14-for-32). This serves as a helpful warning sign, because that season, James shot 30.5 percent from downtown the rest of the way. It's a small sample size, indeed.

But it's worth watching as the season wears on, since this sort of efficiency is new ground for James. Put it this way: Guess how many 3-point shots James had made eight games into last season?

Zero.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/miamiheat/post/_/id/15796/lebron-james

Hoopz2332
12-03-2013, 07:36 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1615046-lebron-james-demands-push-ups-from-bested-ray-allen-and-mario-chalmers

SpaceJammeR
12-03-2013, 08:22 AM
kobe shoots fadeaway 3's so kobe wins. he makes them sometimes, he miss sometimes. but still, it's a lot cooler so kobe wins.