PDA

View Full Version : What is the verdict on Michael Kidd Gilchrist?

Ken_Masters
12-02-2013, 02:20 PM
I admit i have not watched many Charlotte games, but i did watch the game last night and i barely noticed when he was out there. He was practically invisible. He only averages 7 shot attempts per game for his career? Is Thaddeus Young his ceiling?

hawkfan
12-02-2013, 02:22 PM
Charlotte should have picked Andre Drummond.
Oops.

chips93
12-02-2013, 02:29 PM
Charlotte should have picked Andre Drummond.
Oops.

everybody aside of NO should have picked drummond

it goes without saying at this point

Project018
12-02-2013, 02:31 PM
offensive game still ugly

Ken_Masters
12-02-2013, 02:33 PM
offensive game still ugly

That's understandable, because that was well known with him coming out of college. But i thought he was supposed to be a guy who gets out on the break, gets in the passing lanes, and is a disruptive force like Rondo? Maybe i'm wrong. What exactly was he supposed to be coming out of college that warranted him going number 2 overall?

Project018
12-02-2013, 02:40 PM
That's understandable, because that was well known with him coming out of college. But i thought he was supposed to be a guy who gets out on the break, gets in the passing lanes, and is a disruptive force like Rondo? Maybe i'm wrong. What exactly was he supposed to be coming out of college that warranted him going number 2 overall?

defensive impact, hustle & intensity, winning/work hard mentality, was youngest player in his draft class and GMs thought he could develop an offensive game with time in the NBA because he was such a "hard worker"

I wanted Barnes before MGK or Drummond but he probably would not live up to the expectations here seeing the last UNC guys Jordan has picked

inclinerator
12-02-2013, 02:41 PM
his fts are funny

hawkfan
12-02-2013, 02:41 PM
Probably Metta World Peace, with a rawer offensive game, and none of the drama.

Ken_Masters
12-02-2013, 02:44 PM
defensive impact, hustle & intensity,

I didn't see any of that while watching him last night. Am i missing something? Tony Allen for instance, you can see all of that. Thaddeus Young you can see that. But last night while watching Gilchrist he was completely invisible.

bdreason
12-02-2013, 03:32 PM
Probably Metta World Peace, with a rawer offensive game, and none of the drama.

This guy will never be in the same stratosphere as Ron Artest.

rufuspaul
12-02-2013, 03:55 PM
I didn't see any of that while watching him last night. Am i missing something? Tony Allen for instance, you can see all of that. Thaddeus Young you can see that. But last night while watching Gilchrist he was completely invisible.

Plantar fascitis. He sat out the game Friday against the Bucs.

Ken_Masters
12-02-2013, 04:00 PM
Plantar fascitis. He sat out the game Friday against the Bucs.

Gotcha. Whats his upside?

steve
12-02-2013, 05:12 PM
His offensive game is fairly busted at this point. His inability to shoot is pretty well documented at this point (there are so many things wrong with his shot). His handle is pretty atrocious unless he's dribbling in a straight line and while he's not a selfish player by any means, his court vision really isn't strong. He's good in the open court and he can get the Bobcats hustle point every so often but that's about all he provides on offense at the moment.

He'll probably be a good defensive player right now and he can make plays there now but he's still not completely locked in on the defensive end (which is somewhat understandable with him just turning 20 and all), but I question his ceiling being all that high because he has a long way to go before he's a net positive on offense.

Quizno
12-02-2013, 05:43 PM
he does have a tendency to be "invisible" on the court. i think his ceiling is potentially gerald wallace (which is a little disappointing). i don't think he'll ever be a guy who can really create his own offense in an iso situation but he can definitely take it to the rim. i do think he'll end up being an excellent defender though and he absolutely shut down melo once this year (i think melo went something like 2 of 16 against MKG in one game). he's already a very good perimeter defender and a big reason the bobcats have one of the best defenses in the league.

but yeah, as of right now he's a guy who likes to get out in transition and attack the rim. he has no real offensive game other than driving and although his jumper is really ugly, he has shown the ability to hit an open 17 or so foot jumper if the defense gives it to him. and yeah, unfortunately he hasn't shown very good court vision.

but it is important to keep in mind that MKG just turned 20 at the end of september and doesn't yet have an NBA body. i think he'll eventually end up being a really good #3 option

Myth
12-02-2013, 06:30 PM
everybody aside of NO should have picked drummond

it goes without saying at this point

Can't fault Portland too much either.

Although, I would love this line-up:

Mo Williams
Matthew Williams
Batum
Aldridge
Drummond

senelcoolidge
12-02-2013, 06:34 PM
2nd year and has not shown any improvements. Give him more time. Like many Calipari guys he's very athletic but raw. Will he be lazy like Tyreke and not improve and just be there or work hard and become something like D. Rose? It's up to him but I'm having my doubts.

Quizno
12-02-2013, 06:52 PM
2nd year and has not shown any improvements. Give him more time. Like many Calipari guys he's very athletic but raw. Will he be lazy like Tyreke and not improve and just be there or work hard and become something like D. Rose? It's up to him but I'm having my doubts.
:wtf:

he's nothing like d rose

Uncle Drew
12-02-2013, 06:59 PM
MKG jumps when he takes a free throw.

poido123
12-02-2013, 07:00 PM
Inconsistent player who has a broken jumpshot.

He can play so incredibly well at times, but only if he isn't shooting his jumpshot and the effort is there...

BoutPractice
12-02-2013, 07:21 PM
Give him some time. At the same age Gerald Wallace was averaging less than 5 ppg... Shawn Marion and Iguodala were still in college... and not only was Pippen still in college, but he averaged less ppg in his rookie season in the NBA than MKG as well. So there's a historical trend of this kind of player taking time to develop. A Gerald Wallace type career, at least, is still quite plausible.

senelcoolidge
12-02-2013, 07:50 PM
:wtf:

he's nothing like d rose

What I meant to be like Rose and work on his game and improve. Of course they are not the same they play different positions. When Rose came into the league he had no jump shot..he worked hard and developed one. It's all about work ethic.

I<3NBA
12-02-2013, 10:22 PM
bust

CelticBaller
12-02-2013, 10:23 PM
He is 20...