PDA

View Full Version : Why do basketball fans call players by their first names?

RagaZ
12-02-2013, 09:13 PM
LeBron, Kobe, Dwight, Carmelo/melo, Dirk, Kyrie, Amare, Blake etc.

I havent heard NFL-fans call Rodgers for "Aaron" or Football fans call Messi for "Lionel".

It seems a little bit gayish calling them by their first game. Its not really that difficult to say/write "James" or "Bryant" :lol

CelticBaller
12-02-2013, 09:15 PM
Because those are cool first names

Whats so good about Aaron?

inclinerator
12-02-2013, 09:16 PM
cuz there's a million guys with the same last name

#number6ix#
12-02-2013, 09:16 PM
It's a nba thing I guess...also depends on the name lebron and kobe are unique to the nba... But I call a player like Trevor Ariza by his last name because Trevor is a lame ass name

It's A VC3!!!
12-02-2013, 09:17 PM
This is sliktheturd's alt account. He just asked me the same question in my other thread now he hops on his alt account to re-ask the question again.:facepalm
Dude, get a life.:lol

I FOUND YOU YOU PHONY FISH.

moe94
Those are unusual first names rarely shared by other players. It's called common sense, you utter tool.

Sgt. Brody
Nothing wrong with that. You talked about football fans not calling players by their first name, well, I personally use Cristiano for Ronaldo and Iker for Casillas for instance.

EveryManALion
12-02-2013, 09:18 PM
Off-topic but I hate when people abbreviate players names like SUPER homer announcers or heavy team-stans to make everyone feel like they are buddy-buddy with the players and they are just like us and attainable. Like Mario Chalmers is now somehow just "Rio" and I am expected by every Heat fan to know that? Wtf.

FiveRings
We only do that when the players have really unique names like Kobe, Shaq, Lebron. No one calls CP3 just "Chris" or KD just "Kevin".

$LakerGold
Jordan gets called by both first & last. The only :bowdown:

CelticBaller
12-02-2013, 09:19 PM
Tom
Aaron
Colin
Russell
Andrew
Robert
Michael
Tim
Matt
Mathew
Calvin
Adrian

And you wonder why most don't get called by their first name? :biggums:

RoundMoundOfReb
12-02-2013, 09:20 PM
Typically this happens when a player has a unique first name like LeBron, Kobe, Magic, Shaq, Wilt, Hakeem, Kareem etc.. Guys like Jordan, Russell, Bird, Duncan are usually called by their last name.

LongLiveTheKing
12-02-2013, 09:22 PM
We only do that when the players have really unique names like Kobe, Shaq, Lebron. No one calls CP3 just "Chris" or KD just "Kevin".
This.

Uncle Drew
12-02-2013, 09:25 PM
OP is an idiot anyways, so..

Haymaker
12-02-2013, 09:26 PM
Bird and Jordan were called by their last name, Magic by his nickname, it's all relative.

QuebecBaller
12-02-2013, 09:27 PM
Williams is my favorite player :D

Peteballa
12-02-2013, 09:29 PM
Off-topic but I hate when people abbreviate players names like SUPER homer announcers or heavy team-stans to make everyone feel like they are buddy-buddy with the players and they are just like us and attainable. Like Mario Chalmers is now somehow just "Rio" and I am expected by every Heat fan to know that? Wtf.

I don't expect you to know that, there's nothing wrong with not knowing Mario is "Rio", but real Heat fans have been calling him Rio literally since his rookie year. The Heat's commentators (Erik Reid and Tony Fiorentino) called him Rio and it just kind of stuck. It's not a new thing.

no pun intended
12-02-2013, 09:29 PM
Who are they? My teachers?

FKAri
12-02-2013, 09:42 PM
Tom
Aaron
Colin
Russell
Andrew
Robert
Michael
Tim
Matt
Mathew
Calvin
Adrian

And you wonder why most don't get called by their first name? :biggums:

damn i never really realized how boring ass these names are. lmao. Reads like the HR team for Walmart.

Hoopz2332
12-03-2013, 07:32 AM
It's a nba thing I guess...also depends on the name lebron and kobe are unique to the nba... But I call a player like Trevor Ariza by his last name because Trevor is a lame ass name

:lol

tomtucker
12-03-2013, 08:06 AM
Typically this happens when a player has a unique first name like LeBron, Kobe, Magic, Shaq, Wilt, Hakeem, Kareem etc.. Guys like Jordan, Russell, Bird, Duncan are usually called by their last name.

true.......

RagaZ
12-03-2013, 08:09 AM
Tim Duncan = Timmy.

PizzamanIRL
12-03-2013, 08:18 AM
cuz there's a million guys with the same last name

This. Use your brain OP

NumberSix
12-03-2013, 08:43 AM
People use whatever is immediately identifiable. That's why people say "Durant", not "Kevin". "Kevin" could be anybody.

There aren't a bunch of LeBrons, Shaqs, Dirks and Kobes. There is a bunch of Michaels and Charles, so we use Jordan and Barkley.

ripthekik
12-03-2013, 08:44 AM
People use whatever is immediately identifiable. That's why people say "Durant", not "Kevin". "Kevin" could be anybody.

There aren't a bunch of LeBrons, Shaqs, Dirks and Kobes. There is a bunch of Michaels and Charles, so we use Jordan and Barkley.
Still didnt finish high school.

jstern
12-03-2013, 09:02 AM
Compared to American Football, basketball is a more closeup sport where you can see the players face. Perhaps that has something to do with it.

But to be fair I'm watching NBA TV right now and they seem call the players by their last name of full name.

This. I wanted to make this point but I'm tired and couldn't put it into words, but this was perfect.

NumberSix
12-03-2013, 09:12 AM
Still didnt finish high school.
Still make more in interest than your lifetime will accumulate doe.

#bladers

Nuff Said
12-03-2013, 10:12 AM
Dumbass thread. It's the same in both sports. No one calls Dwyane Wade just Dwyane. His last name is spoken way more than his first.

ripthekik
12-03-2013, 10:14 AM
Still make more in interest than your lifetime will accumulate doe.

#bladers
#DelusionalBillionaireSix