PDA

View Full Version : Marc Gasol - worst DPOY selection ever?

iamgine
12-03-2013, 06:41 AM
I mean...is the guy even known for his defense?

BlazerRed
12-03-2013, 06:43 AM
:biggums:

ralph_i_el
12-03-2013, 10:25 AM
:wtf:

BoutPractice
12-03-2013, 10:29 AM
Er... yes?

I<3NBA
12-03-2013, 10:45 AM
the Grizz had the best defense last season. Gasol anchored that defense.

Eric Cartman
12-03-2013, 11:02 AM
op is too mainstream to follow the grizzlies

tmacattack33
12-03-2013, 11:40 AM
The worst selection as in somebody else should have won it last year?

Or the worst DPOY selection ever as in he is not as good of a defensive player as Dikembe Mutombo, Ben Wallace, and everyone else who has ever been named DPOY?

If it's the first one then I disagree. If it's the second one, I'd have to go back and see a list of all DPOY selections for each year. But yeah, Gasol would probably be one of the worst defensive players amongst that whole group of players.

Nick Young
12-03-2013, 11:42 AM
Marc Gasol is an amazing defender, he just doesn't have insane hops so never makes ESPN highlight reel swats, which seems to be the only thing you have to do to win DPoTY these days

SCdac
12-03-2013, 11:48 AM
Duncan deserved a "lifetime defense" award last season. He was amazing. :(

Timmy blocked a career high 3.2 blocks per-36 minutes in the RS...

and the Spurs swept the Grizz while Duncan averaged 16 and 9 and 3 blocks.

http://sinbapointforward.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/tim-duncan-nba-finals-2013-san-antonio-spurs.jpg

Artillery
12-03-2013, 12:20 PM
Marc's defense is, not surprisingly, mediocre this year. Just another case of a coach(Hollins) and his system making a player seem better than he actually is. He got humiliated in the conference Finals by the true DPOY.

SilkkTheShocker
12-03-2013, 12:24 PM
Biggest joke of a DPOY since Camby. Award should have went to Duncan who was a top 10 player last season and the real best player on that Spurs team.

chips93
12-03-2013, 12:30 PM
Duncan deserved a "lifetime defense" award last season. He was amazing. :(

Timmy blocked a career high 3.2 blocks per-36 minutes in the RS...

and the Spurs swept the Grizz while Duncan averaged 16 and 9 and 3 blocks.

timmy was awewome last year, but for awards pure per game numbers should be used, not per minute, imo.

you should get an award based on how you impacted the game, regardless of what little time you spent on the court.

pauk
12-03-2013, 12:59 PM
It was very close, but Lebron should have won it.

http://www.nba.com/2013/news/04/24/grizzlies-marc-gasol-named-kia-defensive-player-of-the-year/

...and yes i know DPOY is a big mans award, but at least give it to Serge Ibaka or Noah.

kurple
12-03-2013, 01:04 PM
Biggest joke of a DPOY since Camby. Award should have went to Duncan who was a top 10 player last season and the real best player on that Spurs team.
first time i agree with you

SCdac
12-03-2013, 01:07 PM
timmy was awewome last year, but for awards pure per game numbers should be used, not per minute, imo.

you should get an award based on how you impacted the game, regardless of what little time you spent on the court.

Still, even in less minutes, Duncan blocked more shots than the DPOY and Duncan's impact got him the same All-Defensive honors as the DPOY (all-defensive second team).

Here's the pure numbers:

Duncan: 2,078 minutes - 183 blocks - 562 defensive boards
Gasol: 2,796 minutes - 139 blocks - 438 defensive boards

My point was this --- Duncan had an amazing resurgence (hence, citing the career high) that should've been rewarded and the playoffs went on to show it.

Basketbolero
12-03-2013, 01:11 PM
As others said, I would have given it to Duncan. Not even back when he played in Spain was Marc thought of as an outstanding defender. Maybe a smart one but that's it.

There are certain matchups he can not handle due to his lack of speed and a DPOY should be better than that IMO.

HeyIt'sMe
12-03-2013, 01:22 PM
Marc Gasol is the most overrated player in the NBA. The fact that some people actually think he's the best C in basketball just shows how terrible that position has become.

He gets all this credit for being "so skilled", meanwhile, he shoots 45% from the floor while average 13 PPG. Such skill, let me tell you.

cos88
12-03-2013, 01:25 PM
so because he won in the 2013 season and his team has been bad in the 14 season and he is injured he doesn't deserve it? :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm stupid logic, he played fantastic d last year, sure duncan has a big argument but that's all

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
12-03-2013, 01:26 PM
Chandler winning over KG in 2012 was worse. Marc is way better than Tyson on defense

The worst is Cambys that shouldve been Tim

SilkkTheShocker
12-03-2013, 01:26 PM
Marc Gasol is the most overrated player in the NBA. The fact that some people actually think he's the best C in basketball just shows how terrible that position has become.

He gets all this credit for being "so skilled", meanwhile, he shoots 45% from the floor while average 13 PPG. Such skill, let me tell you.

Yea, he might have replaced Deron Williams' title as the most overrated player in the NBA

rmt
12-03-2013, 03:41 PM
It's amazing to me the change in criteria from year to year. Duncan and Bowen were always "penalized" because they played with each other. Yet last year Gasol wins DPOY while playing with Tony Allen AND Mike Conley (playing more minutes and making less total blocks and defensive rebounds than Duncan).

Life isn't fair, and for such a great defensive player to have never won DPOY is a disgrace. Well, at least he's got the all-time playoff records for most blocks and defensive rebounds. Too bad Pop didn't remember that in game 6.

RoundMoundOfReb
12-03-2013, 03:43 PM
It was very close, but Lebron should have won it.

http://www.nba.com/2013/news/04/24/grizzlies-marc-gasol-named-kia-defensive-player-of-the-year/

...and yes i know DPOY is a big mans award, but at least give it to Serge Ibaka or Noah.
:facepalm

andremiller07
12-03-2013, 06:45 PM
He was a top 3-5 defender last year until they faced the Spurs, he's one of those guy's who's just always there and in the way for the opposition, had Hibbert or Duncan won it I would have no issue with that either but he was terrific.

gyu
12-03-2013, 06:51 PM
I don't watch the Grizzlies much so Gasol winning DPOY was surprising to me. He's not an elite shot blocker, he's slow so he can't defend the perimeter on pick and rolls and switches...

I felt like he won thanks to his teammates being great defenders.

Conley - one of the best pg defenders
Allen - one of the best perimeter defenders
Prince - Old but still has great length and above average defender
Bayless - very good from what I've seen.

Jameerthefear
12-03-2013, 06:59 PM
hibbert or duncan shouldhave won it.

Mr. Jabbar
12-03-2013, 07:17 PM
op is too mainstream to follow the grizzlies

op not a hipster

Artillery
12-03-2013, 07:52 PM
:facepalm

Pauk's bball knowledge is very low for someone that supposedly watched the NBA for a long time.

gyu
12-11-2013, 01:08 PM
I don't watch the Grizzlies much so Gasol winning DPOY was surprising to me. He's not an elite shot blocker, he's slow so he can't defend the perimeter on pick and rolls and switches...

I felt like he won thanks to his teammates being great defenders.

Conley - one of the best pg defenders
Allen - one of the best perimeter defenders
Prince - Old but still has great length and above average defender
Bayless - very good from what I've seen.
Any grizz fans?