PDA

View Full Version : MCW's per game averages in a historical context

BankShot
12-04-2013, 12:36 AM
17.0 ppg
7.1 apg
5.4 rpg
3.1 spg

Per basketball-reference.com, the only player in NBA history to achieve these stats for an entire season is Magic Johnson in his sophomore campaign where he was limited to only 37 games played.

MCW obviously isn't Magic Johnson, let me be clear, but man what a statistical tear he's been on :applause:

#number6ix#
12-04-2013, 12:37 AM
Cool beans...

christian1923
12-04-2013, 12:38 AM
You're the first poster ever to use his 11,338th post to talk about MCW:applause:

BankShot
12-04-2013, 12:38 AM
Cool beans...

He's on my fantasy team, and I hadn't really looked at or thought critically about his statistical accumulation thus far... but when I checked it out I found it interesting.

rhowen4
12-04-2013, 12:51 AM
congrats for having him on your fantasy team. i love this guy.

ZMonkey11
12-04-2013, 12:55 AM
You're the first poster ever to use his 11,338th post to talk about MCW:applause:

Rather read about this then how big Kobe and LeBron's sack is compared to the amount of overratedness that's in Paul George and Kyrie's jock strap.

Marchesk
12-04-2013, 01:00 AM
Destined to knock Kobe out of the top 10 someday.

Bosnian Sajo
12-04-2013, 01:25 AM

:oldlol: This is perfect.

TheCorporation
12-04-2013, 01:50 AM
17.0 ppg
7.1 apg
5.4 rpg
3.1 spg

Per basketball-reference.com, the only player in NBA history to achieve these stats for an entire season is Magic Johnson in his sophomore campaign where he was limited to only 37 games played.

MCW obviously isn't Magic Johnson, let me be clear, but man what a statistical tear he's been on :applause:

.393 FG% and 68% FT yikes

ProfessorMurder
12-04-2013, 02:43 AM
.393 FG% and 68% FT yikes

Who cares? They were supposed to be the worst team in the league, his shot was a known flaw... But he's putting up bonkers numbers and won them at least two games they shouldn't have won.

Inferno
12-04-2013, 02:52 AM
Leading the league in steals

ProfessorMurder
12-04-2013, 03:09 AM
With tonight's game included:

Record
6-9 with MCW
1-3 without MCW

17.7 ppg / 7.3 ast / 5.8 reb / 3.1 stl / .7 blk

40.7 fg%
35.7 3pt%
67.1 ft%

TheCorporation
12-04-2013, 03:13 AM
Who cares? They were supposed to be the worst team in the league, his shot was a known flaw... But he's putting up bonkers numbers and won them at least two games they shouldn't have won.

Who cares? You don't think a 17 ppg FG% below 40 and a FT % below 70% is all that important?

ProfessorMurder
12-04-2013, 03:18 AM
Who cares? You don't think a 17 ppg FG% below 40 and a FT % below 70% is all that important?

No. Talk to me when he's got a year under his belt, had a summer to work on his jumper some more, and he's used to the grind and physicality.

If the dude cold bloodedly ices game winning free throws against the defending champs while almost dropping a quadruple double in his first game... And puts up nice numbers and a triple double all in his first 15 games, I'm cutting him some slack.

Tonight he took over in a double overtime game and made really smart plays.

HeddaGambler
12-04-2013, 04:37 AM
Lol. You could make the case that Trey Burke has been almost just as good per 36:

17.6/4.8/4.8/1.2 with 1.8 turnovers to MCW`s 3.6 and a 100 ft% to MCW`s 68%.

Yeay cherrypicking stats and sample sizes!

Kblaze8855
12-04-2013, 06:27 AM

For a rookie putting up 18/7/6/3 steals it wouldn't be mentioned by anyone in the history of basketball before like...2004.

And it shouldn't be. He was playing superstars as a near equal in week one. And ive watched a few of their games since. Hes a very good player and could be great. Like...hall of famer great.

I couldn't care less what hes shooting through 12 or whatever games. Lebron shot .40, .435, and .372 from the field his first three months and dude is shooting 60% in his prime....

Hes making that team play well above its talent every time I watch them. Nobody is even gonna remember what he shot through a month of being a pro. He could shoot 40% this whole season...he plays the way he has id sign him for the rest of his career given the chance.

Random_Guy
12-04-2013, 07:08 AM
props to the dude, who would have thought?
I was never a big draft guy so didnt know about this guy until he came to the league. Can someone educate me and tell me what he was projected as? Thnx in advance.
and its odd that no one had those statlines, is it because of the ridiculously high steals?

Kblaze8855
12-04-2013, 07:43 AM
Gotta be. The only players I can remember being around 3 steals since ive been watching are Jordan, Stockton, Iverson, Alvin Robertson, and Michael Ray Richardson. Paul probably got really close. Maybe Ron Artest. When he was on the Bulls I watched him straight up rip some guys 3-4 times in a night and work the passing lanes too. Some could hang around 3 steals. But few who would also get 5 rebounds. The rebounds are what would keep the list short. Few guards are gonna get there. And he probably wont stay.

Random_Guy
12-04-2013, 08:15 AM
Gotta be. The only players I can remember being around 3 steals since ive been watching are Jordan, Stockton, Iverson, Alvin Robertson, and Michael Ray Richardson. Paul probably got really close. Maybe Ron Artest. When he was on the Bulls I watched him straight up rip some guys 3-4 times in a night and work the passing lanes too. Some could hang around 3 steals. But few who would also get 5 rebounds. The rebounds are what would keep the list short. Few guards are gonna get there. And he probably wont stay.
:cheers: :cheers:

chips93
12-04-2013, 08:18 AM
props to the dude, who would have thought?
I was never a big draft guy so didnt know about this guy until he came to the league. Can someone educate me and tell me what he was projected as? Thnx in advance.
and its odd that no one had those statlines, is it because of the ridiculously high steals?

he was seen to be a big long pg, with good court vision, but only an average athlete, who didnt really know how to score. he didnt finish at the rim very well in college, and was a very streaky shooter.

he was a good defender, but he played in syracuse's zone, so it was hard to tell how his defense would translate (waiters was great in boeheims zone, and hes been poor defensively so far in the nba).

the big knocks on him were scoring ability and strength, and his big positives were size and court vision.

he also had some small off the court stuff. he was caught shop lifting a bath robe, but that wasnt too big a deal.

NumberSix
12-04-2013, 08:18 AM
Yeah, there's a lot of games left.

Averaging these numbers through a season > angering these numbers for 5 weeks.

Collie
12-04-2013, 08:22 AM

That's roughly what Jason Kidd was putting out as a sophomore, and I don't think the 76ers will be too sad with a second Kidd.

Random_Guy
12-04-2013, 08:41 AM
he was seen to be a big long pg, with good court vision, but only an average athlete, who didnt really know how to score. he didnt finish at the rim very well in college, and was a very streaky shooter.

he was a good defender, but he played in syracuse's zone, so it was hard to tell how his defense would translate (waiters was great in boeheims zone, and hes been poor defensively so far in the nba).

the big knocks on him were scoring ability and strength, and his big positives were size and court vision.

he also had some small off the court stuff. he was caught shop lifting a bath robe, but that wasnt too big a deal.

Thanks man, too be honest I havent really watched any of his games yet. If that's the case, how is he scoring? Is he just on hot streak?(its been a while already though) Or can he consistently keep this up? Very excited for a new prospect :cheers:

chips93
12-04-2013, 08:44 AM
Thanks man, too be honest I havent really watched any of his games yet. If that's the case, how is he scoring? Is he just on hot streak?(its been a while already though) Or can he consistently keep this up? Very excited for a new prospect :cheers:

ive only seen a couple of his games, and they were all early in the season. the games i saw he was hitting a lot of jumpers, which probably isnt sustainable, as others have pointed out, his shooting %s have come down.

but he was getting to the basket easier than i expected and finishing, and he was great in transition.

i havent seen enough of him to be really confident in my opinion, but i think his ppg will come down a little, and his rpg too.

he looks like a great prospect though

BoutPractice
12-04-2013, 09:06 AM
Watched a few games of his and he's looking amazing for a rookie. His potential is huge. Regarding his low shooting percentages so far, they're completely normal for a rookie guard.

He was probably a victim of having played at Syracuse... Syracuse recently has been associated with overrated players whose flaws are hidden by the coaching system, particularly defensively.

alenleomessi
12-04-2013, 10:16 AM
the only flaw except his shooting is that he is 22 already.. so lets hope this isnt his best season like in the tyreke case..

Pushxx
12-04-2013, 11:41 AM
the only flaw except his shooting is that he is 22 already.. so lets hope this isnt his best season like in the tyreke case..

Tyreke Evans has been screwed by coaches, GMs, and injuries. This combo has messed his development up. Dude was on the Kings...traded to a team where he doesn't fit. Lol

STATUTORY
12-04-2013, 11:50 AM
No way he sustains 3 steals, I have never seen that before

Genaro
12-04-2013, 01:11 PM
He looks legit so far. I don't know why everyone here got so caught up on FG% especially if is a rookie we're talking about.
His FT% though is something to think about. PG's ought to have 80% from the line.

GOBB
12-04-2013, 02:16 PM

Who cares he is 22?

chips93
12-04-2013, 02:22 PM
Who cares he is 22?

thats old for a rookie, and very relevant when discussing his ceiling

BoutPractice
12-04-2013, 02:40 PM
Non-exhaustive list of players who started their NBA careers at 22 or older:
Bill Russell
Wilt Chamberlain
Larry Bird
Hakeem Olajuwon
Oscar Robertson
Jerry West
David Robinson
Dwyane Wade
Karl Malone
Scottie Pippen
etc.

Clearly players who had a "low ceiling".

GOBB
12-04-2013, 03:22 PM
thats old for a rookie, and very relevant when discussing his ceiling

Really? Back in the day that is typically the age players were. :confusedshrug:

MJ 21, Duncan 21, Kidd 21.

If he was 18/19 the chances of him producing like he has now arent great no? Most guys you draft and wait for them to develop. Paul George drafted 20yrs old. for two seasons he was just something with "potential", "promise", bright future". Ages 22 and 23 he is a star.

I guess the past years/drafts have been flooded with so many underclassman, young players. High schoolers, 1 and done, raw (basically guys not ready) prospects. That when we see a 22yr old rookie that is considered "old". In actuality a lot of these young players drafted dont start becoming notable until MCW age. So that is why I'm like who gives a shyt about his age.

For discussions purposes I do wonder out of curiosity if he started school a year late (HS). He graduated at 19, 2 years at Cuse 20/21. But from a bball standpoint. Eh

For fun if MCW was say 20 doing this. What is different? You think he has more room to be a better player than he does now being 22?

I guess my point is when you take young players 18, 19, 20 with high "ceilings" they normally dont come around until ages 22, 23, 24 right? I dont expect Noel to be the player I think he can be out the gate. Maybe he will. I see someone that will need two seasons under his belt to really impact a team defensively as I think he can.

GOBB
12-04-2013, 03:22 PM
Non-exhaustive list of players who started their NBA careers at 22 or older:
Bill Russell
Wilt Chamberlain
Larry Bird
Hakeem Olajuwon
Oscar Robertson
Jerry West
David Robinson
Dwyane Wade
Karl Malone
Scottie Pippen
etc.

Clearly players who had a "low ceiling".

Damn, i didn't even see your post when I replied. But yeah. :cheers: