PDA

View Full Version : How overrated is Stephen Curry?

fpliii
12-04-2013, 03:09 PM
:facepalm

SacJB Shady
12-04-2013, 03:13 PM
He's never made the all star team & probably won't this year so...

juju151111
12-04-2013, 03:13 PM
:facepalm
How is he overrated?

brownmamba00
12-04-2013, 03:14 PM
well he should make it

Cali Syndicate
12-04-2013, 03:27 PM
Go look at the Warriors team record and team statistics across the board when he was out. Not sure if overrated is the word you're looking for here.

fpliii
12-04-2013, 03:31 PM
How is he overrated?

On this board, enough people have him as the #1 PG in the league and a top 5 player that it's alarming. I think he's definitely a top 5-10 guard and top 20 player in the league, how much better than that though, I'm not sure.

As I've said in the past, the 3 still feels cheap/gimmicky to me, maybe it's my mindset that's not letting me appreciate him though.

Inferno
12-04-2013, 03:34 PM
Not at all.

SacJB Shady
12-04-2013, 03:36 PM
Who's your daddy? Don't have one,
My mother reproduced like the komodo dragon

Levity
12-04-2013, 03:36 PM
On this board, enough people have him as the #1 PG in the league and a top 5 player that it's alarming. I think he's definitely a top 5-10 guard and top 20 player in the league, how much better than that though, I'm not sure.

As I've said in the past, the 3 still feels cheap/gimmicky to me, maybe it's my mindset that's not letting me appreciate him though.

while some may be overrating him(and it really isnt many, cause i dont see any non fan boy posters dubbing him the best pg in the league), you are severely underrating him....

only top 20? and in the 5-10 pg range?

fpliii
12-04-2013, 03:42 PM
while some may be overrating him(and it really isnt many, cause i dont see any non fan boy posters dubbing him the best pg in the league), you are severely underrating him....

only top 20? and in the 5-10 pg range?

5-10 guard range (PG+SG).

There probably aren't 19 players better than him, but I'm not comfortable with any higher range.

idk :confusedshrug:

chazzy
12-04-2013, 03:44 PM
He's an all time great 3pt shooter who can also pass. His spacing creates open looks for his teammates, his impact is most most visible with Iguodala: http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/64180/steph-curry-giving-andre-iguodala-a-shot

Warriors ORTG with Curry on court: 113.6
Warriors ORTG with Curry off court: 87

DuMa
12-04-2013, 03:48 PM
Hes great. should be good enough to get into the All-Star this year. but as far as a primary ball handler, hes overrated. the turnovers. defense.

I've noticed Warriors are much better with another ball handler in there with Curry when hes off the ball a little bit more often than he is with the ball. Whenever hes not on fire, the offense really stagnates. Jack or Iggy with Curry is offense on fire.

steve
12-04-2013, 03:49 PM

I'm sorry, "gimmicky?" What decade are you living in?

Haks
12-04-2013, 03:51 PM
How is putting up 22/8 on good efficiency and a team that struggles mightily without you overrated ?

Purch
12-04-2013, 03:53 PM
I understand what you mean in a way. It took me a long time to be able to appreciate Curry as a player, because I've always strongly belived in the "If you live by the 3, you'll die by the three philosophy". However his ability to shoot threes so well off the dribble, is something I've really never seen in a player. Its still taking a while for him to fully win me over, but Im a lot less critical of him than I was at a point.

fpliii
12-04-2013, 03:55 PM
Hes great. should be good enough to get into the All-Star this year. but as far as a primary ball handler, hes overrated. the turnovers. defense.

I've noticed Warriors are much better with another ball handler in there with Curry when hes off the ball a little bit more often than he is with the ball. Whenever hes not on fire, the offense really stagnates. Jack or Iggy with Curry is offense on fire.

That's part of my aversion actually. Good points.

Fresh Kid
12-04-2013, 03:56 PM
Simply because he's a fun and likeable player to watch. People want him to succeed beyond his expectations, he have that mighty mouse prescence about him too especially with that good playoff run last spring in the playoffs. He's a good all star type player, but he have to get even better especially being in the western conference whereas the guard competition itself is very challenging and not easy.

fpliii
12-04-2013, 03:57 PM

Dude, the three didn't become a weapon until recently. Really only in the past 7 or 8 seasons has it been used as widely, and it's exploded only since last year.

:confusedshrug:

fpliii
12-04-2013, 03:57 PM
Simply because he's a fun and likeable player to watch. People want him to succeed beyond his expectations, he have that mighty mouse prescence about him too especially with that good playoff run last spring in the playoffs. He's a good all star type player, but he have to get even better especially being in the western conference whereas the guard competition itself is very challenging and not easy.

Fresh Kid dropping knowledge. :cheers:

Fresh Kid
12-04-2013, 04:08 PM
Fresh Kid dropping knowledge. :cheers:
Gotta do what I gotta do man:cheers:

Legends66NBA7
12-04-2013, 04:09 PM
News to me that he's overrated.

If it's #1 claims for a PG, that's just really "in the moment".

paintingshade
12-04-2013, 04:20 PM
I consider him more of a shooting guard, even though he plays point and has the assist numbers. I'm a huge rockets fan, but I believe that right now, Curry and George are better than Harden. Very frustrating to see their development vs Harden, who I think has regressed.

scm5
12-04-2013, 04:28 PM
23/4/9 on 59% TS and 2spg?

The only bad part about his game is 3.8 TO/gm...

The 3's he takes off the dribble, he can get any time and he hits them at about the same rate most star players hit their midrange shots.

Almost no one says Curry>CP3. Far more people say Westbrook>CP3 than Curry>CP3.

How does Westbrook get a pass?

Suguru101
12-04-2013, 04:58 PM

Yes, i get the feeling that he's a "feel good" kind of player. Even though he is very good, he doesn't do enough apart from shooting and driving to justify him being in the top 10.

And oh... that post was legit man, happy to see you're back Wilds. :cheers:

scm5
12-04-2013, 05:03 PM
Yes, i get the feeling that he's a "feel good" kind of player. Even though he is very good, he doesn't do enough apart from shooting and driving to justify him being in the top 10.

ISH, where 23/4/9 and 2spg isn't enough.

TheSilentKiller
12-04-2013, 05:04 PM
This

scm5
12-04-2013, 05:09 PM

Of course. One of the biggest assets of his game is his ability to create space for others. That's something that's hard to do when you're the one handling the ball. They need to guard you tight any ways.

Suguru101
12-04-2013, 05:10 PM
ISH, where 23/4/9 and 2spg isn't enough.

Who does he push out of the Top 10 then?

scm5
12-04-2013, 05:14 PM
Who does he push out of the Top 10 then?

Above Curry, no order:
Lebron
Durant
CP3
George
Davis
Love

Below Curry, no order:
Parker
Westbrook
Harden
Melo
LMA
Duncan
Gasol
Dwight
Wall
Irving
Lillard
etc...

Fresh Kid
12-04-2013, 05:14 PM

thanx bro :cheers:

Suguru101
12-04-2013, 05:47 PM
Above Curry, no order:
Lebron
Durant
CP3
George
Davis
Love

Below Curry, no order:
Parker
Westbrook
Harden
Melo
LMA
Duncan
Gasol
Dwight
Wall
Irving
Lillard
etc...

All of them better than Curry. The only debatable one is LMA, but this year he has been better than Curry.

NumberSix
12-04-2013, 05:48 PM
5-10 guard range (PG+SG).

There probably aren't 19 players better than him, but I'm not comfortable with any higher range.

idk :confusedshrug:
It actually seems pretty reasonable IMO. If you just look at PGs....

Parker
Paul
Rose
Westbrook
Rondo.....

Add in a few SGs like harden, Wade, Kobe......

Are all arguably better than curry. 5-10 range for guards seems reasonable to me. In all honestly, I don't see any case at all for him bein a top 5 guard.

As for top 20 players, not only is that reasonable, it might even be generous.

scm5
12-04-2013, 05:57 PM

Parker
Paul
Rose
Westbrook
Rondo.....

Are all arguably better than curry. 5-10 range for guards seems reasonable to me. In all honestly, I don't see any case at all for him bein a top 5 guard.

Are you kidding me?

Curry isn't just statistically better then Westbrook, Rose, Rondo, Harden, Wade... he provides so much spacing and makes the game a lot easier for everyone else when he's on the floor.

No one's leaving Curry at the 3 point line, in fact, they're doubling him 5 feet behind the 3 point line.

Rose isn't likely to come back anywhere near the level he was at when he won his MVP and even then, Curry is performing at a statistically similar level to Rose.

23/4/9 on 59% TS and 2spg on 3.8TO/gm 24.2 PER 103 Drtg

25/4/8 on 55% TS and 1spg on 3.4TO/gm 23.5 PER 103 Drtg

One of these players got an MVP, the other one hasn't made an All-Star Team.

Which one is overrated?

fandarko
12-04-2013, 06:40 PM
well he should make it

The dude's best shooter on the planet, posting great numbers and playing for an inspired team.

If he doesn't make the all star team the system is flawed.

BoutPractice
12-04-2013, 06:47 PM
He should be an All Star, that's for certain. I'm not sure where he ranks in the league, it definitely shouldn't be too high, but I don't care one bit to be honest - he's one of the most entertaining players in the league with his baby faced assassin look and his impossible shots. Whenever he's throwing that ball up in the air you have to be afraid.

Lebron23
12-04-2013, 06:57 PM
He's playing better than westbrook this season.

Inferno
12-04-2013, 07:03 PM
Definitely top 10 in the league, maybe top 5

SacJB Shady
12-04-2013, 07:14 PM
Just under 23 Points and 9 assists, 2 steals, while shooting 44 percent still from distance

SacJB Shady
12-04-2013, 07:20 PM
Just under 23 Points and 9 assists, 2 steals, while shooting 44 percent still from distance

dannywpt
12-04-2013, 07:22 PM
Holy shit, people are ranking Curry above GOATbrook. :biggums:

scm5
12-04-2013, 07:46 PM
Holy shit, people are ranking Curry above GOATbrook. :biggums:

I don't know how you argue against 23/4/9 on 59% TS and 2spg when the player you're arguing for is this:

Westbrook at his best put up 23/5/7 on 53% TS and 2spg

Westbrook this season is 21/5/6 on 48% TS and 2spg

Westbrook is a chucker and a very selfish player. The argument about what he contributes to OKC is just dumb. Stick Curry on OKC instead of Westbrook and you have a much better team. Curry is a better playmaker and spaces out the floor better. He can play off of Durant much better than Westbrook could as well.

Give me Curry 10/10 times.

Oh yeah, watch a few Warriors games. Curry gets mad respect all the time in terms of coverage. He's never left open and gets doubled all the way out past the 3 point line. It's ridiculous. He's also the best player on his team. Westbrook has Durant on his which should make his life a lot easier than Curry has because of the amount of attention Durant gets and Durant's ability to play off the ball. Westbrook is talented enough to be a Top 5 player, but he's too dumb and selfish to actually be one.

moe94
12-04-2013, 07:49 PM
Did anyone think he'd be good in the NBA? Everyone wrote him off as a Redick/Jimmer type shooter who wouldn't translate his game to the next level. Cannot hate on that.

scm5
12-04-2013, 08:28 PM
Did anyone think he'd be good in the NBA? Everyone wrote him off as a Redick/Jimmer type shooter who wouldn't translate his game to the next level. Cannot hate on that.

My theory is that he's only considered overrated by Westbrook fans who are in denial.

They're trying every way they can to prop up Chuckbrook despite having a poor season and trying to discredit Curry.

Haks
12-04-2013, 08:30 PM
He's the 2nd best point guard in the NBA right now lmao people really ranking westbrook and parker ahead of him so far this season

moe94
12-04-2013, 08:33 PM
He's the best point guard in the NBA right now

This is why people think he's overrated. He literally has no argument over Paul.

CelticBaller
12-04-2013, 08:37 PM
Seriously, go back to bed old man

Haks
12-04-2013, 08:43 PM
This is why people think he's overrated. He literally has no argument over Paul.
my bad i meant second best point guard

Inferno
12-04-2013, 09:00 PM
my bad i meant second best point guard

This is true.

Based on this year's performance, its something like

1. CP3
2. Curry
3. Ty Lawson
4. Mike Conley

scm5
12-04-2013, 09:03 PM
This is true.

1. CP3
2. Curry
3. Ty Lawson
4. Mike Conley

I would have Conley above Lawson, but I agree with those 4 being the Top 4 PG's so far this season.

CelticBaller
12-04-2013, 09:05 PM
This is true.

1. CP3
2. Curry
3. Ty Lawson
4. Mike Conley
What a pathetic year for the PGs when Conley is in the top 5. Shit i wouldn't consider Lawson top 5, definitely top 10 but 5?

Inferno
12-04-2013, 09:06 PM
What a pathetic year for the PGs when Conley is in the top 5. Shit i wouldn't consider Lawson top 5, definitely top 10 but 5?

Actually, I'd put Wall over Conley

But it's a really a tossup in the bottom half of the top 10 IMO, Conley's putting up 19/7 compared to Lillard and Irving at 21/6, etc.

scm5
12-04-2013, 09:14 PM
This is true.

1. CP3
2. Curry
3. Ty Lawson
4. Mike Conley

I would have Conley above Lawson, but I agree with those 4 being the Top 4 PG's so far this season.

scm5
12-04-2013, 09:15 PM
Actually, I'd put Wall over Conley

But it's a really a tossup in the bottom half of the top 10 IMO, Conley's putting up 19/7 compared to Lillard and Irving at 21/6, etc.

I wouldn't. Wall isn't as good defensively this season as he has been in the past.

Leon.Pown
12-04-2013, 09:16 PM

Parker
Paul
Rose
Westbrook
Rondo.....

lol rose? horrible this season, missed last season, and you still put him up there? can i put wade as best SG in the league, you know, using his numbers from 4 years ago? LOL

moe94
12-04-2013, 09:20 PM
lol rose? horrible this season, missed last season, and you still put him up there? can i put wade as best SG in the league, you know, using his numbers from 4 years ago? LOL

Wade is still the best SG in the league, statistically. You have no idea how depleted the position is.

Alan Ogg
12-04-2013, 10:03 PM
Top 10 for sure. He just doesn't get to the line enough. Can take over games.

WWRWestbrookDo?
12-04-2013, 10:19 PM
U Mad?

Brokenbeat
12-04-2013, 10:34 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/images/photos/NBA/GS/NBA_curry1_300.jpg

"Momma, there go that..."

"Ooooh gurl, it's rainin menz, hallelujah"

bdreason
12-04-2013, 10:57 PM
Warriors are overrated. Curry is rated just about right.

winwin
12-09-2015, 09:06 AM

Parker
Paul
Rose
Westbrook
Rondo.....

Warriors are overrated. Curry is rated just about right.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

the rest of rhe fools: go edit or delete your posts

:roll:

fpliii
12-09-2015, 09:35 AM
Have no problem admitting I was wrong in retrospect. Was the clear cut best player in the league last year, and is lapping the field this year by a huge margin (EDIT: also to be clear, he's playing at a legendary level all-time). During the season the OP was posted, he ended up being pretty great too in retrospect. Definitely top 10 that year, likely top 5.

Wasn't able to appreciate the super deep pull up threes (and even called his utilization of them gimmicky out of my own ignorance), but Curry has proven they're a good shot for him, regardless of coverage.

Wade's Rings
12-09-2015, 10:54 AM
:roll: :roll: :roll:

the rest of rhe fools: go edit or delete your posts

:roll:

When they posted this it was before Curry went off, did you see Curry becoming this good? Or are what they said ridiculous now because Curry is playing great?

SyRyanYang
12-09-2015, 11:31 AM
quality post from fpliii per usual.

theaussieguy
12-09-2015, 11:53 AM
When they posted this it was before Curry went off, did you see Curry becoming this good? Or are what they said ridiculous now because Curry is playing great?

it was obvious from Currys debut game in the NBA that he would be a transcendent player who would take over the league, at least to anyone that looks beyond the hype and the bright lights.

The Curry fam has been unified since 2009.

kentatm
12-09-2015, 01:55 PM
Damn, Curry haters be getting ethered like CJ Mustard w/his Dirk will never win a title thread. :lol