PDA

View Full Version : The future of the SG position looked so bright

gyu
12-04-2013, 10:30 PM
Eric Gordon, Tyreke Evans (I consider him a SG), O.J. Mayo, their futures looked so bright... what happened?! I'm sure there's more but those are the 3 that I could think of off the top of my head.

Eric Gordon, 24 years old
http://www.slamonline.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/eric_gordon.jpg

Looked promising in his last couple seasons as a Clipper. Played good D, and was averaging over 20ppg. Many people thought he would break out once he had his own team with the Hornets, but it seems like injuries has derailed his career a little bit.

Tyreke Evans, 24 years old
http://sports-lite.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/tyreke.jpg

Had one of the best rookie seasons in the last 10 years (stat wise) averaging 20 points, 5 rebounds, 6 assists, 2 steals a game. He was making highlights often with his nasty handles, euro step, and game winners. I also remember watching him dominate Gilbert Arenas (looking back, that's not saying much now but it was impressive at the time). Hasn't had a season as good as his rookie year yet.

O.J. Mayo, 26 years old
http://www.ojmayonnaise.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/oj-mayo.jpg

Quite a bit of hype around him (maybe it was just due to a couple of fan boys like lilojmayo) during his rookie year, remember hearing people say he's Kobe-esque but couldn't break out due to all the scorers on the Grizzlies. I don't watch College ball so I checked out his NBA comparison to see what the hype was about and it was Ben Gordon. Went to Dallas and had a scorching hot start but in the end came back down to earth. Now he can be the best player on the Bucks but still hasn't done anything spectacular. I grew to like O.J. Mayo and wanted to see him become a star but it looks like the Ben Gordon comparison is quite accurate now.

I'm aware all of these guys are still relatively young, but I just don't see them getting much better than they are now. These guys aren't even mentioned in the discussion of "upcoming SG's" anymore, do you still have hope they'll live up to their potential or at least make an all-star game?

CelticBaller
12-04-2013, 10:32 PM
Look at OJ and Gordon both are around the same height but different build, one of the main reason why OJ was always doubted on.

GoRapz
12-04-2013, 10:36 PM
DeMar DeRozan >

Meticode
12-04-2013, 10:38 PM
I can't believe you posted these guys when you have real shooting guards named Klay Thompson and Bradley Beal.

Jameerthefear
12-04-2013, 10:44 PM
there are a couple good sgs. wade, harden, kobe, afflalo, thompson, beal etc.

gyu
12-04-2013, 10:44 PM
I can't believe you posted these guys when you have real shooting guards named Klay Thompson and Bradley Beal.
Keyword: Looked. Plus these guys are entering the middle stage of their careers so I want to see if people think they can still turn it around. I'm not interested in talking about the current young guns of the league.

Meticode
12-04-2013, 10:45 PM
Keyword: Looked. Plus these guys are entering the middle stage of their careers so I want to see if people think they can still turn it around.
Well JFC my bad.

Johnny Jones
12-04-2013, 10:49 PM
For the record, Tyreke put up those numbers in his rookie year playing point guard. Now he plays the Manu role off the bench.

chocolatethunder
12-04-2013, 11:12 PM
Reke doesn't play point anymore because he's terrible as a PG. He's careless with the ball and doesn't have a jumpshot. He put up those numbers whole dominating the ball on an awful team. He may be a shooting guard, albeit one who can't shoot. He needs the ball all the time to have any impact on a game. You can't judge rookies by their rookie years whether they have good or bad years. If a rookie dominates the ball on a bad team, he'll put up numbers that seem good. By the next year there's a scouting report on him and if his game hasn't improved or changed then he's shut down. Some guys like Joe Smith had a good few years but never developed further. Other guys start horribly but then develop. That's just the way it is.

avonbarksdale
12-05-2013, 12:16 AM
derozan is decently underrated

VIntageNOvel
12-05-2013, 02:14 AM
decade ago, everyone want to be like mike,
and we got kobe
after that, everyone want to be like kobe,
and we got wade
now, everyone want to be like wade,
and we got tyreke :lol

12-05-2013, 03:15 AM
Too bad for Brandon Roy's knees. Had he been healthy he'd be the #1 SG in the league by far, light years better than James Har_en.

andremiller07
12-05-2013, 05:37 AM
Reke doesn't play point anymore because he's terrible as a PG. He's careless with the ball and doesn't have a jumpshot. He put up those numbers whole dominating the ball on an awful team. .
I would do anything to get him back instead of Vasquez right now tbh, Kings got raped in that deal would have been better of trading for Lopez.

coin24
12-05-2013, 05:43 AM
What about wade jr, dion waiters?:oldlol:

RoundMoundOfReb
12-05-2013, 05:44 AM
Iman Shumpert is the future of the NBA.

Human Error
12-05-2013, 05:49 AM
Gordon still can be an all star.

kurple
12-05-2013, 07:26 AM
and arron afflalo. dude is playing amazing this year