PDA

View Full Version : Andre Drummond: The next big superstar in basketball?

boozehound
12-04-2013, 09:14 PM
Game on. Glad to see Middleton getting some burn

DetroitPiston
12-04-2013, 10:28 PM
And he does it in the first half. :eek:

Now if he can work on his free throws.

Meticode
12-04-2013, 10:28 PM
And he does it in the first half. :eek:

Now if he can work on his free throws.
He needs that Andrew Bynum freethrow-touch. He shootin' 92% from the line this season. :lol

CelticBaller
12-04-2013, 10:29 PM
The Bandwagon is still open

Closes at the end of this month though :no: :no:

boozehound
hey this game I think he has split at the line everytime. I will take it for now

Inferno
Gawdre :bowdown:

I remember when people were still debating between him and Monroe before the start of the season :applause:

DetroitPiston
12-04-2013, 10:30 PM
He needs that Andrew Bynum freethrow-touch. He shootin' 92% from the line this season. :lol

Shaq or Dwight would be good enough, that's how bad it is.

DetroitPiston
12-04-2013, 10:31 PM
Gawdre :bowdown:

I remember when people were still debating between him and Monroe before the start of the season :applause:

They'd complement each other perfectly if J-Smoove was an actual SF. I wanted Iggy but the Warriors snatched him.

Meticode
12-04-2013, 10:33 PM
Shaq or Dwight would be good enough, that's how bad it is.
:oldlol: Like DeAndre Jordan bad? Like Ben Wallace bad!?

DetroitPiston
12-04-2013, 10:37 PM
:oldlol: Like DeAndre Jordan bad? Like Ben Wallace bad!?

I could count on Ben Wallace to make at least one free throw. On another note, this game proves why Monroe struggles with athletic players. Needs to work with Tim Duncan on the fundamentals.

Also, Drummond is unreal.

EveryManALion
12-04-2013, 11:30 PM
3rd great game in a row. 24 points, 19 Rebounds, 3 blocks, 2 steals on 8 of 13 shooting. Kid is a beast. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

STATUTORY
12-04-2013, 11:31 PM
still don't understand what made him freefall in the draft, this guy was designated number 1 pick when he was in high school

PieceOfFelt
12-04-2013, 11:33 PM
This guy appears to be legit. He's athletic, he rebounds and he can score a bit. The guy is young as hell too and appears to have a good work ethic. It appears we've finally found that legit young big man we've been waiting for over the past 9-10 years. Many have come and gone. Some guys look like stars but never show much improvement and only really score on dunks. Drummond doesn't appear to be like that.

Black and White
12-04-2013, 11:34 PM
Lol and a thread was started as to who has a bigger upside, him or jonas valanciunas :coleman:

abuC
12-04-2013, 11:35 PM
He's on a great run right now, if he didn't get in foul trouble against the Heat he probably would have had a 25/25 game against them.

UConnCeltics
12-04-2013, 11:35 PM
Averaging 21/18 with 3 steals and 2 blocks a game in just over 31 minutes so far in December. I'd say he's good.

EveryManALion
12-04-2013, 11:36 PM
This guy appears to be legit. He's athletic, he rebounds and he can score a bit. The guy is young as hell too and appears to have a good work ethic. It appears we've finally found that legit young big man we've been waiting for over the past 9-10 years. Many have come and gone. Some guys look like stars but never show much improvement and only really score on dunks. Drummond doesn't appear to be like that.

Demarcus Cousins says hi.

VIntageNOvel
12-04-2013, 11:37 PM
Center Position looks bright :applause:

drummond, davis, cousin

PieceOfFelt
12-04-2013, 11:38 PM
What I really like about Drummond though is his work ethic. The guy is continually getting better and learning new moves on offense. Some guys just never show that much improvement and level off after while. It doesn't matter how much tutelage they have they just seem to not have the mental capacity to keep improving.

PieceOfFelt
12-04-2013, 11:38 PM
Center Position looks bright :applause:

drummond, davis, cousin

Finally we've got some real talent at that position and not just athletes.

Meticode
12-04-2013, 11:39 PM
Averaging 21/18 with 3 steals and 2 blocks a game in just over 31 minutes so far in December. I'd say he's good.
It's December 4th... :lol

I'm not trying to hate, but c'mon...

DetroitPiston
12-04-2013, 11:40 PM
Drummond finishes with 24 points, 19 rebounds, and 3 blocks.

He is only 20 years old. Needless to say, I'm excited for this guy.

SpecialQue
12-04-2013, 11:42 PM
The Bandwagon is still open

Closes at the end of this month though :no: :no:

Fine, I guess I'll hop on.

alenleomessi
12-04-2013, 11:43 PM
hell yeah, we will have 3 new awesome all stars in the east this season
wall-george-drummond
:applause:

Johnny Jones
12-04-2013, 11:44 PM
I bet Pelicans front office are starting to question the Davis draft pick. AD is injury prone while Drummond is as healthy as can be

bdreason
12-04-2013, 11:44 PM
You could see this guy had elite ability at the HS level. He was already showing a full package of ball handling, touch, court vision, and freak athleticism. He had a bad year at UCONN, in a season where UCONN overall (the coach) had a terrible year, and some people wrote him off. I thought Davis and Drummond were clearly the top 2 prospects, and couldn't believe he slipped as far as he did. Even my Warriors had a chance to get him, and I lost my mind when we passed on him... although I do like Barnes.

Levity
12-04-2013, 11:45 PM
and he was hitting his free throws in the 4th.... for the most part at least

on the last two he made, he stroke looked pretty nice. no reason to think he cant improve to 50%+ by the all star break.

PieceOfFelt
12-04-2013, 11:45 PM
Drummond brings real skill to the position as well as actual work ethic. Now maybe the position won't be tainted like it has been over the last half decade.

Bodhi
12-04-2013, 11:46 PM
still don't understand what made him freefall in the draft, this guy was designated number 1 pick when he was in high school

Low motor and horrible offensively was what people were saying

Levity
12-04-2013, 11:46 PM
I bet Pelicans front office are starting to question the Davis draft pick. AD is injury prone while Drummond is as healthy as can be

drummond missed almost the whole second half of last season with back issues....

razzredazzre
12-04-2013, 11:52 PM
Andre Drummond >>> Telephone Pole >>> Dwert

abuC
12-04-2013, 11:55 PM

They were 1 pick from having both and AD looks like he'll be a superstar.

Haymaker
12-04-2013, 11:56 PM
Is Drummond what Oden was supposed to be?

Qwyjibo
12-04-2013, 11:58 PM
http://thezantabakherald.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/colangelo_bryan_big1_381.jpg

Rake2204
12-04-2013, 11:59 PM
It's kind of crazy to see Andre doing what he does. I like him a lot, but it seems he keeps things very simple (which is probably a good thing). He's terrible with his back to the basket and he can't shoot a jumper or free throw, but he uses his mass and leaping ability quite well.

It just seems kind of crazy. It's all so straight forward with him. Catch dunks, jump high for rebounds, make some layups.

It works.

outbreak
12-05-2013, 12:04 AM
it all started when he got that disney girl

GOBB
12-05-2013, 12:06 AM
Why does he only avg 1.2 blocks? Or is he avg more the past month or so? :confusedshrug:

LeGOAT
12-05-2013, 12:07 AM
He'll be the consensus best center in the league by next season

Levity
12-05-2013, 12:08 AM
Why does he only avg 1.2 blocks? Or is he avg more the past month or so? :confusedshrug:

he really hasnt been getting as many blocks as people thought he would leading up to this season. in 20 mins last season, he was putting up close to 2 a game. not so much this year, but he has been getting a grip load of steals.

InfiniteBaskets
12-05-2013, 12:09 AM
Is Drummond what Oden was supposed to be?

I don't believe so. Oden was strong and athletic, but Drummond was on a whole other level in terms of speed and quickness. At Uconn this guy was leaping into the passing lane on defense and outsprinting opposing guards down the length of the court for a dunk like you'd see LeBron do. Except he's 6'11 / 7'.

The problem I saw with him at Uconn was his offensive post game, which was non-existent. He also didn't work very well with Uconn's guards the year after Kemba had left. Five years from now, I can easily imagine us still talking about how great of a player Drummond could be if he could develop any type of post game or shoot FTs. Drummond right now seems like a more athletic Dwight Howard that's developing into an NBA level rebounder, finisher, and defender, which is great. But I'm not willing to call him a superstar until he shows consistent offensive game, which likely won't happen until at least next season.

abuC
12-05-2013, 12:10 AM

Looks like he's worried about picking up fouls so he contests a lot but doesn't go for the block unless it's a sure thing.

GOBB
12-05-2013, 12:11 AM
he really hasnt been getting as many blocks as people thought he would leading up to this season. in 20 mins last season, he was putting up close to 2 a game. not so much this year, but he has been getting a grip load of steals.

Is he or can he be a defensive anchor? How is his defensive awareness? I really havent watched enough of this dude which is why I ask.

Haymaker
12-05-2013, 12:11 AM
I don't believe so. Oden was strong and athletic, but Drummond was on a whole other level in terms of speed and quickness. At Uconn this guy was leaping into the passing lane on defense and outsprinting opposing guards down the length of the court for a dunk like you'd see LeBron do. Except he's 6'11 / 7'.

The problem I saw with him at Uconn was his offensive post game, which was non-existent. He also didn't work very well with Uconn's guards the year after Kemba had left. Five years from now, I can easily imagine us still talking about how great of a player Drummond could be if he could develop any type of post game or shoot FTs. Drummond right now seems like a more athletic Dwight Howard that's developing into an NBA level rebounder, finisher, and defender, which is great. But I'm not willing to call him a superstar until he shows consistent offensive game, which likely won't happen until at least next season.

Good post.

sfballa13
12-05-2013, 12:33 AM
If Drummond continues to do well the refs will have no choice but to start giving him some calls.

That changes the way he plays defense. One of those fouls per game becomes a block per game and all of sudden he is putting up 17-18 / 14 rebounds / 2 blocks / 2 steals a game thats superstar status in the NBA at least All-Star for a 3rd year player. In order for him to put up those numbers he would have to increase his scoring average by 4-5 pts a game and increase his rebounding by 2 rebounds a game over 1 full season please!

andremiller07
12-05-2013, 01:47 AM
Picked Thomas Robinson over him :facepalm

SupermanOnSteroids
12-05-2013, 02:41 AM
Beast. Although I don't think he'll ever mature into an elite scorer, but I could see him averaging a 16/16 line with 2 steals and 2.5 blocks.

Sarcastic
12-05-2013, 02:51 AM
It would be great if someone could bump all the pre draft threads where people said he would never amount to anything.

50_40_90_
12-05-2013, 02:53 AM
The next generation of bigs...

Drummond = Wilt

Davis = Russell

Book it... this will be the truth

PleezeBelieve
12-05-2013, 04:31 AM
Not impressed

dgaras
12-05-2013, 05:08 AM
big fan but he has no post game. even worse than dwight.

BoutPractice
12-05-2013, 05:20 AM
Looks like he could be a monster. He's got no real offensive game, but he could be Dwight without the attitude.

boozehound
12-05-2013, 11:18 AM
the difference between them is both his very soft touch (look at some of his finishes, they are great) and his ball handling ability. He is much more likely to develop a decent post game and can put the ball on the ground unlike howard.

rufuspaul
12-05-2013, 11:29 AM
Glad to see the kid doing well. Can we have a do-over of that draft?

BoutPractice
12-05-2013, 11:33 AM
the difference between them is both his very soft touch (look at some of his finishes, they are great) and his ball handling ability. He is much more likely to develop a decent post game and can put the ball on the ground unlike howard.
Not necessarily a "post game", but he's got a bit of an Amare thing going on minus the jumpshot.

TheReturn
12-05-2013, 11:39 AM
Bandwagon still open?

DeuceWallaces
12-05-2013, 11:46 AM
He has really nice touch around the rim, which is promising for him developing some type of post game and FT competency compared to someone like Dwight. Personally, I'd take 'Sheed teaching him that uber man to man post defense over a back to the basket game.

boozehound
12-05-2013, 01:16 PM
He has really nice touch around the rim, which is promising for him developing some type of post game and FT competency compared to someone like Dwight. Personally, I'd take 'Sheed teaching him that uber man to man post defense over a back to the basket game.
I would agree with this. He is a decent help defender, but his man D in the post is lacking. It may have to do with not wanting to get cheap fouls, but this is much more important than a more refined offensive game. If he alters games, it will be as much on that side of the ball as anything.

GaryRaymond23
12-05-2013, 01:17 PM
Wayyyyyyyyy too early to talk about him being a superstar

Andre Drummond hasn't even played in 80 games yet.

boozehound
12-05-2013, 01:23 PM
Wayyyyyyyyy too early to talk about him being a superstar

Andre Drummond hasn't even played in 80 games yet.
To be fair, that wasnt the original title of any of the threads that were merged in here. Its the mods take. I agree, its too early to be calling him a superstar.

GaryRaymond23
12-05-2013, 01:29 PM
To be fair, that wasnt the original title of any of the threads that were merged in here. Its the mods take. I agree, its too early to be calling him a superstar.

Haha wow you're right, what's with all the title changes?

Anyways, to get back on topic, I do think Andre Drummond can become a perennial all star. "Superstar" is a term used to loosely now a days - I think he can be a dominant defensive presence, multiple time DPOY winner but he will never be the #1 scoring option on a title contending like say, Duncan or Shaq were. However he can have a similar defensive/rebounding impact.

I love Drummond, he's been one of my favorite players since his High School days (I'm from CT) I've met him a few times - once at a party in Danbury CT, once at Mohegan Sun (My little brother was playing in a championship High School games vs Andre Drummond's former High School team, and yea we won lol) and I've talked to Drummond through Twitter a few times/played him on Xbox Live once on 2k13.