PDA

View Full Version : Could Oscar Robertson be as dominant today?

Shade8780
12-07-2013, 02:24 PM
I dont know much about him.

L.Kizzle
12-07-2013, 02:26 PM
He'd be more dominate today.

VIntageNOvel
12-07-2013, 02:27 PM
he is lebron before lebron

Shade8780
12-07-2013, 02:29 PM
At PG?

moe94
12-07-2013, 02:32 PM
Seen the footage. Not impressed. He wasn't even bigger than me and his moves look atrocious and quite frankly embarrassing for someone who is considered an NBA player, much less all time great. What a terrible era. Real talk, transport me to that generation of ball on some Terminator shit and I'd be a god damn legend. People literally could not dribble with both hands or looked down when they do so. What a joke.

But seriously, his form is awkward

Shade8780
12-07-2013, 02:33 PM
Seen the footage. Not impressed. He wasn't even bigger than me and his moves look atrocious and quite frankly embarrassing for someone who is considered an NBA player, much less all time great. What a terrible era. Real talk, transport me to that generation of ball on some Terminator shit and I'd be a god damn legend. People literally could not dribble with both hands or looked down when they do so. What a joke.

But seriously, his form is awkward
They werent taught to do that.

Scholar
12-07-2013, 02:34 PM
He had the body type to do so. Growing up with modern medicine, advancements in exercising techniques, etc., he'd likely be a perennial All-Star, possibly competing yearly for MVPs.

KingBeasley08
12-07-2013, 02:41 PM
I can understand guys like Russell and Chamberlain being dominant in today's game but the perimeter players? The game has evolved like crazy since the 60s. High school kids today have better handles than some of the old guards.

Marchesk
12-07-2013, 02:42 PM
I can understand guys like Russell and Chamberlain being dominant in today's game but the perimeter players? The game has evolved like crazy since the 60s. High school kids today have better handles than some of the old guards.

Including Pistol Pete?

L.Kizzle
12-07-2013, 02:43 PM
Lol, Marcus Haynes is sill the greatest dribbler ever, and he's pre-Robertson.

kNicKz
12-07-2013, 02:48 PM

The rules were different. Skill level has nothing to do with it. Modern players would get called for palming violations and other things all the time if they went back.

BoutPractice
12-07-2013, 02:56 PM
Growing up in this era, given the same advantages as today's players?
He would absolutely kill it. Keep in mind this is a guard oriented era, where guards get quite inflated stats.

His court vision at his size is not the kind of thing that's going away... by almost any conceivable measure he's one of the great passers and game managers of all-time, at 6-5 (and correct me if I'm wrong but that would be without shoes, so today he'd be listed higher). The outstanding basketball IQ, decision making, knowledge of the game, intense competitive drive and work ethic... not going away either. And it's not like he's unathletic by any stretch of the imagination.

I imagine something like a 6-6 Chris Paul, who can also back up smaller guards in the post Magic/Barkley style, would be what his game could look like today.

bizil
12-07-2013, 04:04 PM
I firmly believe that the superstars in most eras can translate into different eras. U gotta realize that they will have the benefits of future advances. Big O would be one of the premier PG's or SG's in the L no question today. Likely the best PG if that's where he settled. But I don't think he would be quite as dominant because he wouldn't be averaging a triple double for a season. Size wise, he would be similar to guys like Tyreke Evans or Wade.

LAZERUSS
12-07-2013, 04:17 PM
If a Tony Parker is considered one of the premier guards in the league, how could an Oscar not be among the best?

bizil
12-07-2013, 04:28 PM
If a Tony Parker is considered one of the premier guards in the league, how could an Oscar not be among the best?

:cheers:

atljonesbro
12-07-2013, 04:37 PM
I don't understand how every time an old player is brought up on this forum he'd ALWAYS be better than the stars of today. Look at every thread similar to this. This forum's nostalgia level is ridiculous

bizil
12-07-2013, 04:38 PM
If anything, guys today in the L COULDN'T hack it back in the 80's and 90's. Im not talking the superstars of course. But as a whole, many guys couldn't handle the more physical defenses. Or the wide array of dominant low post threats at PF and Center. Or how about NO ZONES PERIOD back in those days as well. And the refs let a a lot go back in those days as well. And frankly, u don't need the best handles to get your shot off if u are a great scorer. Some guys are EPIC catch and shoot guys. Or have footwork that can trump a great handle. Many people on this site OVERRATE HANDLES in a sense. Sure the more tools u have the better. But guys like Big O was so crafty and sure handed with his handle that he would be fine today. It wouldn't be flashy, but it would get the job done. Substance over flash. There is more than one way to skin a cat. God Bless AI, Isiah, Nash, Pete, etc. with the sick handles no doubt though not hating. But u can't marginalize the old school legends by saying they would suck today because of handles.

bizil
12-07-2013, 04:39 PM
I don't understand how every time an old player is brought up on this forum he'd ALWAYS be better than the stars of today. Look at every thread similar to this. This forum's nostalgia level is ridiculous

I agree u can't say always! I think it depends on who u are comparing.

G-Funk
12-07-2013, 04:49 PM
He wont average 30/11/10 for season

Rose'sACL
12-07-2013, 04:51 PM
his stats will be down for sure given that he played in a league which was about 1.5 times faster than today's league but he would still be a top 5 player in the league.

Psileas
12-07-2013, 05:03 PM
Top notch instinct of the game + good size and athleticism (would be a better athlete today) = dominance.
It's asked now that Steve Nash dominates (OK, he used to, just a few years ago).
It was asked in the late 90's-early 00's, when Stockton and Mark Jackson still led the league in assists.
It was asked in the 80's when past his prime athleticism Dennis Johnson was among the best PG's.

If you're young or admit being non-knowledgeable, it's more understandable to ask, but for anyone else, it's getting tiring.

Shade8780
12-07-2013, 05:05 PM
Top notch instinct of the game + good size and athleticism (would be a better athlete today) = dominance.
It's asked now that Steve Nash dominates (OK, he used to, just a few years ago).
It was asked in the late 90's-early 00's, when Stockton and Mark Jackson still led the league in assists.
It was asked in the 80's when past his prime athleticism Dennis Johnson was among the best PG's.

If you're young or admit being non-knowledgeable, it's more understandable to ask, but for anyone else, it's getting tiring.
Im only 13, dont know a whole lot about the older players.

LAZERUSS
12-07-2013, 05:32 PM

Do you think a prime Hakeem would be as dominant today, as he was in the mid-90's? How about a prime Moses in the early 80's? Or a prime KAJ in the 70's?

In fact, how about a Shaq from 2000? Do you think the level of play in today's NBA is significantly better than when Shaq was overwhelming it in 2000?

BoutPractice
12-07-2013, 05:48 PM
I for one don't necessarily think past players would be better than current players (with 2, 3 exceptions who are rightly regarded as the best players of all time and aren't playing today). But the elite ones would be elite, as they always have been, throughout history. We know what elite play looks like, it doesn't change from era to era.

atljonesbro
12-07-2013, 05:54 PM
Do you think a prime Hakeem would be as dominant today, as he was in the mid-90's? How about a prime Moses in the early 80's? Or a prime KAJ in the 70's?

In fact, how about a Shaq from 2000? Do you think the level of play in today's NBA is significantly better than when Shaq was overwhelming it in 2000?
Do you think player today are garbage and Oscar Robertson would be better than LeBron? LOL

greymatter
12-07-2013, 06:08 PM
The guy had one of the best mid range games of all time and shot 48.5% for his career in a league which averaged 42-43%. Averaged 10+ assists in a league that didn't count a made FG as an assist if your man took one dribble after catching the ball before scoring. Was considered one of the better defenders at his position, perhaps 1 tier below contemporaries like West and Frazier.

In this day and age, there's no question he'd be the best PG in the game.

Quizno
12-07-2013, 06:39 PM
hell no

EnoughSaid
12-07-2013, 06:48 PM
Take Michael Carter Williams and him a superstar skill set. He'd be the 3rd best player in the league putting up something like 23/9/7. :bowdown:

Harison
12-07-2013, 06:49 PM
+1. Lebron would be second fiddle to Oscar.

L.Kizzle
12-07-2013, 06:50 PM
He wont average 30/11/10 for seasonI agree, probably would be 32/13/12.

get these NETS
12-07-2013, 07:06 PM
he'd figure it out and still dominate...especially in he playoffs when the game slows down

one thing for certain though...he'd have to change his game up

the mark jackson/barkley rule would take away one of his pet moves...

he used to back down defenders(with his space clearing posterior) and then step back and shoot the J.....

but as was already mentioned.....smart ,strong, great decision maker, overall skills....he wouldn't be on highlight clips but your team would win with him as pg