PDA

View Full Version : Carmelo changes style, admits being a shot jacker wasn't working, improves

secund2nun
12-08-2013, 02:22 AM
NEW YORK -- The New York Knicks went from losing nine straight games to winning two in a row by an average of 34 points.

Carmelo Anthony says he's trying to shoot -- and score -- less and it's working for the Knicks, who pummeled the Orlando Magic, 121-83, at Madison Square Garden on Friday night.

"I wanted to do something a little different to see if it worked," Anthony said. "Me scoring 30 wasn't working."

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/10093917/carmelo-anthony-new-york-knicks-shooting-less-help-team

In those 2 games he went:

6/10 20 points 11 rebounds 4 assists 3 steals 1 turnover
8/12 19 points 10 rebounds 6 assists 2 turnovers

After all of these years he FINALLY learned. I'll give him credit for that. I posted last week that Melo had potential to be a good scorer, but ruined it by shot jacking which hurt his team and gave him trash efficiency making him a mediocre scorer.

8/12 19 points is WAY better than going 11/25 30 points. He finally stopped listening to low IQ fans who idolize cancerous low efficiency shot jacking. I've criticized Rose for the same thing.

Hopefully he keeps it up.

pauk
12-08-2013, 02:26 AM
Scoring 30 is always working..... but not when you go 9 of 25 very often.... :)

avonbarksdale
12-08-2013, 02:26 AM
meloo

ihatetimthomas
12-08-2013, 02:30 AM

6/10 20 points 11 rebounds 4 assists 1 turnover

After all of these years he FINALLY learned. I'll give him credit for that. I posted last week that Melo had potential to be a good scorer, but ruined it by shot jacking which hurt his team and gave him trash efficiency making him a mediocre scorer.

8/12 19 points is WAY better than going 11/25 30 points. He finally stopped listening to low IQ fans who idolize cancerous low efficiency shot jacking. I've criticized Rose for the same thing.

I'm going to go on a limb and say Melos shot jacking had zero to do with fans . His chucking comes from him being a scorer and having the green light to shoot since he was a kid.

He def. needs to change his game is he wants to win. Its good he is actually conscious of this and is making an effort but its tough to teach a old dog new tricks.

Guys like him or Kobe really need to be more than volume shooters to be effective but its tough to change a players ways after so long. Kobe was able to make somewhat of a adjustment last year and really took to getting his teammates involved. BUt in the end, they are who they are and I don't think Melo will be able to change his game entirely, same as Kobe

Sarcastic
12-08-2013, 02:42 AM
A big reason for the shot jacking is that his second best scorer is JR Smith. He hasn't had anybody worth passing to.

Not saying that's the only reason, but it definitely is a major reason.

JtotheIzzo
12-08-2013, 02:49 AM
Melo needs to play like this but it is hard for him because he is really really good.

When he is on team USA it could be argued he is the best FIBA player on the planet (though this argument gets more difficult with Kevin Durant's recent FIBA exploits). He can score inside and out, he can move the ball he can create, and he rebounds well. In a college style motion offense Melo kills, in the NBA iso game, he is just good because he cannot rely on athleticism, he only has his guile, which is substantial, but it leads to poor shooting nights.

I would love to see Melo with a true running mate, it is a real shame that he never buddied up with another superstar the last few years because I think with a bit of help, the Knicks are a top four team.

Maybe Melo needs to go elsewhere to achieve team glory.

imnew09
12-08-2013, 02:53 AM
I don't blame him at all for chucking up shots when Knicks' second option is Jr Smith... Hopefully they figure something out or not so Melo can come to the Lakers :bowdown:

secund2nun
12-08-2013, 02:56 AM
A big reason for the shot jacking is that his second best scorer is JR Smith. He hasn't had anybody worth passing to.

Not saying that's the only reason, but it definitely is a major reason.

It's still not a reason to shot jack. Shot jacking hurts teams, not helps teams. This very same NY team is playing much better because of Melo's new playing style. It does not matter who your teammates are, ball movement will get better shots for the team as a whole than one player forcing it against heavy coverage, especially since Melo does not have the scoring ability of Jordan, Durant, Lebron, Shaq etc. Those guys can give you 30 ppg on high efficiency.

christian1923
12-08-2013, 03:44 AM
He needs to go play with kobe next year.

Melo and amare for pau and Steve Nash and a first

Sarcastic
12-08-2013, 04:51 AM
OT, but maybe best Melo gif ever?

http://thewaytheballbounces.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/girl.gif

longtime lurker
12-08-2013, 04:52 AM
It's still not a reason to shot jack. Shot jacking hurts teams, not helps teams. This very same NY team is playing much better because of Melo's new playing style. It does not matter who your teammates are, ball movement will get better shots for the team as a whole than one player forcing it against heavy coverage, especially since Melo does not have the scoring ability of Jordan, Durant, Lebron, Shaq etc. Those guys can give you 30 ppg on high efficiency.

You do realize his 2nd option is averaging 11 pts a game on 35% shooting and his supposed defensive anchor is Andrea Bargani right?

Nice 2 game sample :rolleyes:

bizil
12-08-2013, 05:21 AM
Melo needs to play like this but it is hard for him because he is really really good.

When he is on team USA it could be argued he is the best FIBA player on the planet (though this argument gets more difficult with Kevin Durant's recent FIBA exploits). He can score inside and out, he can move the ball he can create, and he rebounds well. In a college style motion offense Melo kills, in the NBA iso game, he is just good because he cannot rely on athleticism, he only has his guile, which is substantial, but it leads to poor shooting nights.

I would love to see Melo with a true running mate, it is a real shame that he never buddied up with another superstar the last few years because I think with a bit of help, the Knicks are a top four team.

Maybe Melo needs to go elsewhere to achieve team glory.

Right on the money! Every player isn't a point forward and still get you 30 style guy like Bron. So u can't expect Melo to do that. As proven last year, the Knicks had a hell of a run. And Melo was 3rd in MVP voting last year. But I agree, I think Melo needs another true All Star kind of player to team up with. Which is a luxury most of the other top 10 guys in the league have.

secund2nun
12-08-2013, 05:28 AM
You do realize his 2nd option is averaging 11 pts a game on 35% shooting and his supposed defensive anchor is Andrea Bargani right?

Nice 2 game sample :rolleyes:

Who cares about his 2nd option. That is completely irrelevant. Inefficient shot jacking is bad period. There is no way to deny this. Team ball is better for the entire team. This is a fundamental principle of basketball that has always and will always be true. Melo finally understood this and even admitted it and changed. Melo jacking up contested shot after contested shot is bad period. Team ball with nice ball movement results in better looks for everyone including Melo.

secund2nun
12-08-2013, 05:30 AM
Right on the money! Every player isn't a point forward and still get you 30 style guy like Bron. So u can't expect Melo to do that. As proven last year, the Knicks had a hell of a run. And Melo was 3rd in MVP voting last year. But I agree, I think Melo needs another true All Star kind of player to team up with. Which is a luxury most of the other top 10 guys in the league have.

It's not about being a point forward. If you have a bad shot just pass the ball. Get good team ball movement. Your pass does not directly have to be an assist. Ball stopping and jacking up some contested low percentage shot just hurts your team.

Legends66NBA7
12-08-2013, 05:35 AM
Coaches draw the plays for who gets the shots.

longtime lurker
12-08-2013, 05:52 AM
Who cares about his 2nd option. That is completely irrelevant. Inefficient shot jacking is bad period. There is no way to deny this. Team ball is better for the entire team. This is a fundamental principle of basketball that has always and will always be true. Melo finally understood this and even admitted it and changed. Melo jacking up contested shot after contested shot is bad period. Team ball with nice ball movement results in better looks for everyone including Melo.

Of course his 2nd option matters because Melo carrying the scoring load is a better option than giving more shots to JR smith or Bargani. You make it seem like Melo's been the problem and you ignore the fact that Chandler is out an Bargani is the worst defensive anchor in the NBA. You make a retarded assumption that Melo supposedly playing "team ball" is the reason for the two game win streak, but it just so happens to coincide with them playing 2 sub par teams. He could be playing "team ball" against 2 superior teams and the Knicks could have lost both games.

Blue&Orange
12-08-2013, 12:15 PM
Why do idiots that don't watch games, feel entitled to give their opinion about the Knicks? Start of the season Melo was getting 3,4 guys on him because when he passed the ball to someone was either brick a wide open shot or passing on wide open shot. Some players didn't even want to shoot.

Pretty easy to play team ball when your teammates makes shots.

Melo did the same thing last year when Amare was playing like a Top10 per player, right before his injury. He was racking up assists.

VIntageNOvel
12-08-2013, 12:17 PM
"I wanted to do something a little different to see if it worked," Anthony said. "Me scoring 30 wasn't working

your 30 wasnt working, but your 30 + kobe's 30 would, come to lakers :applause:

Eric Cartman
12-08-2013, 12:24 PM
I have to applaud Melo on this one. Putting aside his ego for the better of the team is greatly appreciated. But everyone knows come playoff time when J.R. and Bargnani dissapear he will have to carry his team like a superstar does.

Vertical-24
12-08-2013, 12:30 PM
I don't blame him at all for chucking up shots when Knicks' second option is Jr Smith... Hopefully they figure something out or not so Melo can come to the Lakers :bowdown:

For some reason, you make me mad.
:facepalm

Real Men Wear Green
12-08-2013, 12:35 PM
I'm not a believer in the Knicks as anything more than a .500 team (which could be enough to win the Atlantic) but I 100% agree with the idea that Melo needed to shoot less. The other Knicks aren't close to his talent level but when he shoots at the rate he was shooting he is suppressing their production without improving his own. This change won't make NY a great team but it will make them better than the bottom of the EC.

coin24
12-08-2013, 01:29 PM

Better looks for who exactly? This isn't the stacked heat genius:oldlol:
There's no ray or mike miller to bail him out.

ZenMaster
12-08-2013, 01:46 PM
Of course his 2nd option matters because Melo carrying the scoring load is a better option than giving more shots to JR smith or Bargani. You make it seem like Melo's been the problem and you ignore the fact that Chandler is out an Bargani is the worst defensive anchor in the NBA. You make a retarded assumption that Melo supposedly playing "team ball" is the reason for the two game win streak, but it just so happens to coincide with them playing 2 sub par teams. He could be playing "team ball" against 2 superior teams and the Knicks could have lost both games.

He could have played ISO/chuck ball and they could have lost even though it was against sub par teams. That scenario is what is a big part of their start where they've lost against a lot of bad teams.

You're missing a big part of basketball. It's not about "giving shots to JR and Bargnani" but about moving the ball and getting players makeable shots in good positions. It shouldn't be "hey you go 1on1 this time and I'll go the next, and after that it's Barganis turn"...

Teanett
12-08-2013, 01:50 PM
they played brooklyn and orlando so who gives a shit?

lets wait til they play somebody who plays defense and see him not go into chuckmode again.

longtime lurker
12-08-2013, 02:09 PM
He could have played ISO/chuck ball and they could have lost even though it was against sub par teams. That scenario is what is a big part of their start where they've lost against a lot of bad teams.

You're missing a big part of basketball. It's not about "giving shots to JR and Bargnani" but about moving the ball and getting players makeable shots in good positions. It shouldn't be "hey you go 1on1 this time and I'll go the next, and after that it's Barganis turn"...

I'm not talking about taking turns going one on one. JR Smith is shooting 35% and Bargani is shooting 46% on mostly open shots with little defensive pressure on them. A d-league player could provide more than Amare is giving the Knicks. The thing is there aren't any better options than Melo. They could spread the ball around and I'm guessing that Melo does pass the ball, but his teammates are clanking shots. Spreading the ball works when you have talent otherwise teams will figure out how to play you. I don't give a shit that the Knicks won against 2 lottery teams with Melo passing more and people are ignoring the defensive side of the equation that has more to do with why they're losing.

secund2nun
12-08-2013, 02:27 PM

That's not the way to look at it. Is Melo shooting a contested shot better than Bargani shooting an open or semi-open shot resulting from good ball movement? Definetely not. This is why Greg Popovich has such good teams even when Duncan is out. He is all about ball movement. Not this iso-trash that has corrupted the NBA.

If Melo was someone like Durant or Lebron you could get away with forcing the offense through him because those guys can give you 30 ppg on high efficiency (though even for those guys ball movement is better), but Melo cannot do that. He will give you 30 ppg on low efficiency that would be improved with teammates taking less contested shots. It's about knowing your limits.

You make a retarded omission by ignoring all of NBA history and Melo's own history. Melo has never and will never be able to give you 30 ppg on anything but bad efficiency. Iso- shot jacking by a guy who cannot handle that many shots per game is loser ball. Only rare players like Jordan, Lebron, Durant, Shaq etc can handle the scoring like that. Melo is leagues below those guys. He has the ability to be a good scorer if he plays within his limits. Would team ball for the Knicks beat Miami or Indy? No because those teams are much better, but it would keep it a lot closer than Iso chucking loser ball. Team ball would result NY improving and increase their chances of winning against every team and certainly increase their record.

secund2nun
12-08-2013, 02:29 PM
they played brooklyn and orlando so who gives a shit?

lets wait til they play somebody who plays defense and see him not go into chuckmode again.

If he goes into chuck mode again then all progress is lost :roll:

ripthekik
12-08-2013, 02:29 PM
andddddd it was over in 2 games.

secund2nun
12-08-2013, 02:31 PM
Better looks for who exactly? This isn't the stacked heat genius:oldlol:
There's no ray or mike miller to bail him out.

Like I said....the NBA and it's fans have been corrupted by idolizing low IQ iso chuck ball. To say you need a great team to benefit from team ball over Iso chuck ball is literally laughable and ignoring the NBA's entire history. Team ball improves every team, whether great or bad.

Prime Kobe's chuck ball could not even win a playoff series without an elite front court.

secund2nun
12-08-2013, 02:33 PM

Exactly. This iso-filth has corrupted the NBA. Everyone wants to be Jordan and carry the entire offense, but few have the talent to handle the scoring load like that.

ripthekik
12-08-2013, 02:35 PM
Exactly. This iso-filth has corrupted the NBA. Everyone wants to be Jordan and carry the entire offense, but few have the talent to handle the scoring load like that.
Even if you have the talent, it's still bad for the team. I hate watching Melo and Harden play. Ok they score, but do you realize when you do this so often, your teammates just zone out? They aren't participating in the offensive end, guess how that translates to the defensive end? When shots are falling, fine. When shots are bricking, how do your teammates feel at that point, especially when you keep chucking?

nathanjizzle
12-08-2013, 02:40 PM

6/10 20 points 11 rebounds 4 assists 3 steals 1 turnover

because with rose the bulls had the best record 2 seasons in a row, and without rose they are an 8th seed now. :facepalm

RRR3
12-08-2013, 02:42 PM
Even if you have the talent, it's still bad for the team. I hate watching Melo and Harden play. Ok they score, but do you realize when you do this so often, your teammates just zone out? They aren't participating in the offensive end, guess how that translates to the defensive end? When shots are falling, fine. When shots are bricking, how do your teammates feel at that point, especially when you keep chucking?
But when Kobe does it its okay, right?
Hypocrite. Don't hate on Melo and Harden if you're gonna worship Kobe. And I'm well aware Kobe>>both of them.

ripthekik
12-08-2013, 02:50 PM
But when Kobe does it its okay, right?
Hypocrite. Don't hate on Melo and Harden if you're gonna worship Kobe. And I'm well aware Kobe>>both of them.
:facepalm
and out of nowhere, Kobe gets brought up. Now you all know who's the ones always derailing a thread.

longtime lurker
12-08-2013, 03:22 PM
Melo's back to chucking he went 5-15! He should have given more shots to Bargani who was 1-7 or Shumpert who was 0-6 or JR who was 1-5 or Felton who was torching the Celtics going 0-6