PDA

View Full Version : Worst Type of Star Player?

moe94
12-08-2013, 03:20 PM
combo guard ?

jump shooting big?

power guard?

SF/PF tweener?

In terms of their value towards a championship contender.

Legends66NBA7
12-08-2013, 03:24 PM
I'd think I would lean towards combo guard. How many combo guards have won a title as the best player ?

Teanett
12-08-2013, 03:31 PM
the carmelo anthony type player

RoundMoundOfReb
12-08-2013, 03:32 PM
edit: misinterpreted.

Fudge
12-08-2013, 03:33 PM
Combo guard - D-Wade in 06
Jump shooting big - Dirk in 11
Power guard - Kobe in 09/10
SF/PF tweener - LeBron in 12/13

All of those types of players have won a ring or two. But the toughest I'd say is probably combo guard doe. AI, Rose, Westbrook have had their downfalls.

PizzamanIRL
12-08-2013, 03:35 PM
the carmelo anthony type player

You read my mind :cheers:

moe94
12-08-2013, 03:36 PM
Combo guard - D-Wade in 06
Jump shooting big - Dirk in 11
Power guard - Kobe in 09/10
SF/PF tweener - LeBron in 12/13

I'd say combo guard doe.

Wade is not a combo guard. He's a SG who has playmaking ability, at best. He's not even undersized. Kobe is barely taller, less athletic and has nowhere near the wingspan.

Kobe is definitely not a power guard. WTF are you even thinking there? :oldlol:

Combo guards are undersized SG who are usually called SG in PG bodies. They're known for volume scoring. Think Arenas, Iverson, Ben Gordon, etc

Power Guard is the Westbrook/Rose type of PG that use their insane physical superiority to completely ravish other point guards.

Fudge
12-08-2013, 03:39 PM
Wade is not a combo guard. He's a SG who has playmaking ability, at best. He's not even undersized. Kobe is barely taller, less athletic and has nowhere near the wingspan.

Combo guards are undersized SG who are usually called SG in PG bodies. They're known for volume scoring. Think Arenas, Iverson, Ben Gordon, etc

Power Guard is the Westbrook/Rose type of PG that use their insane physical superiority to completely ravish other point guards.
Wade is definitely a combo guard. Come on doe. Kobe's a power guard. He got dat power.

The JKidd Kid
12-08-2013, 03:42 PM
Ball dominant combo guards that don't play D or pass like Kyrie Irving. Wade was fine because he is a play maker and an elite defender.

Eric Cartman
12-08-2013, 03:50 PM
Dwight Howard.

Legends66NBA7
12-08-2013, 03:58 PM

Wade came into the league as a PG. While I do classify him as a SG, he's certainly got PG instincts. He can pass and gets a lot of turnovers too. But I do see your point with your examples.

Bryant is certainly power guard. He's got such a strong post game because of his strength, not just his footwork.

Teanett
12-08-2013, 04:14 PM
what the fuock is a power guard?

fpliii
12-08-2013, 04:16 PM
Guys whose main (and perhaps only) calling card is ISO scoring.

ZMonkey11
12-08-2013, 04:18 PM
This is the first time I've heard the term power guard.

redboy
12-08-2013, 04:43 PM
honestly, probably jump shooting big man. nothing against dirk but i feel that a jump shooing big man has to be made around the big man in the sense that unless the jump shooting big has an elite rim protector and a group of 3 point shooters spreading the floor, the team won't be successful. just look at the blazers this year. aldridge is less of a jump shooting big than dirk is, but he is the same type of player. robin lopez makes a huge difference to that team. with players like kobe and wade, you know that they can get their points any time they want. i don't think it's a coincidence that dirk was knocked out of the first round in 07 and i honestly feel that if portland gets a top 3 seed they can likely be upset too. it's just too easy to exploit jump shooting bigs compared to a guard that you know will take over at any given time

that being said, dirk's been playing out of his mind lately and his having a comeback season

STATUTORY
12-08-2013, 04:45 PM
Guys whose main (and perhaps only) calling card is ISO scoring.
how do you reconcile that with MJ, Kobe, or even Dirk's Mavs?

BoutPractice
12-08-2013, 04:54 PM
A short, high usage shotjacking combo guard used as your star (unless he's a truly exceptional scorer like Iverson). Think Brandon Jennings or Kemba Walker. They're not bad players by any means, but building your team around them's another story.

fpliii
12-08-2013, 04:55 PM
how do you reconcile that with MJ, Kobe, or even Dirk's Mavs?

Dirk could score within the offense, and MJ/Kobe are far from one-dimensional players. They'd still be stars without the volume scoring.

Eric Cartman
12-08-2013, 04:59 PM
A short, high usage shotjacking combo guard used as your star (unless he's a truly exceptional scorer like Iverson). Think Brandon Jennings or Kemba Walker. They're not bad players by any means, but building your team around them's another story.

I would build my team around Iverson without thinking twice.

Would pick him over guys like Wade, Reggie Miller, Paul Pierce, Tracy Mcgrady any day of the week.

BoutPractice
12-08-2013, 05:06 PM
That's why I said unless he's Iverson.

russwest0
12-08-2013, 05:10 PM
combo guard ?

jump shooting big?

power guard?

SF/PF tweener?

In terms of their value towards a championship contender.

Chris Paul and Blake Griffin

FatComputerNerd
12-08-2013, 05:12 PM
Ball dominant combo guards that don't play D or pass like Kyrie Irving. Wade was fine because he is a play maker and an elite defender.

Kyrie passes, and his D has improved dramatically. Just because he's in a bit of a shooting slump to start the season is no reason to dub him a combo-guard.

He's a legit elite PG who should have the ball in his hands. It's not his fault our coach is running this retart 3-guard offense.

BoutPractice
12-08-2013, 05:13 PM
Generally speaking I think you should avoid having a main star that's only a scorer... but is only a good/very good scorer as opposed to elite.

outbreak
12-08-2013, 05:22 PM
Any type can work so long as they are a 2 way player or they have a great line up. A player who's only an elite scorer and doesn't play d or pass or rebound is going to need a solid team around them to try and compete. Most one way guys will just leave you in a scenario where you can beat 70% or the league based on pure scoring which leaves you in the top 4 of the conference but you will never be good enough to actually compete for a ring but your too good to pick up draft picks to help you. Plus your stuck paying too much salary to a roster that won't win it all. Some owners like that though to fill seats and make a profit.

reppy
12-08-2013, 05:24 PM
what the fuock is a power guard?

About the only player I can think of to whom that title would apply is Bonzi Wells back in his Blazers days.

FatComputerNerd
12-08-2013, 05:37 PM
About the only player I can think of to whom that title would apply is Bonzi Wells back in his Blazers days.

First guy that came to mind for me was Westbrook, but I've also never heard the term "power-guard" before.

brandonislegend
12-08-2013, 05:39 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-L8C19Jde7Eg/UFJDvB572mI/AAAAAAAAEzY/bWsvd2nmecE/s1600/BlakeGriffin.jpg

http://shedavenue.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/carmelo-anthony.jpg

http://www.singleblackmale.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/russell-westbrook-okc.jpg

is that order.

Mirko Cro Cop
12-08-2013, 05:50 PM
Rudy Gay type of player; 2 guard/SF that needs to shot high volume shots to get in the rhythm and make any sort of production.

From history, we've already seen most players who fall within this category tend to be team cancer with the exception of a select few (Jordan, Kobe, Durant, Prime Iverson/T-Mac etc).

CelticBaller
12-08-2013, 06:02 PM
The one with locker room issues

Bigsmoke
12-08-2013, 06:41 PM
Dwight is the worst superstar in history