PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference between Rudy Gay and Kyrie Irving?

PleezeBelieve
12-09-2013, 04:53 AM
Gay: 18.6.ppg (on 18 FGA a night) 7 rpg 2 apg 38%/37%/77%

Irving: 19.7 ppg (on 19 FGA a night) 3 rpg 6 apg 39%/33%/78%

I mean, when you really think about it, it's eerie how similar they are as players. Both started getting loved for being young, efficient scorers with a clutch gene but when asked to lead a ballclub, they failed miserably in the locker room and subsequently their stats drastically declined in the process.

Bow are they any different besides the position they play?

coin24
12-09-2013, 05:00 AM
I dunno but id take both over waiters

TheCorporation
12-09-2013, 05:02 AM
2 things immediately come to mind

#1) Irving will let his team look at stat sheets :lol

#2) Uncle Drew

moe94
12-09-2013, 05:03 AM
Kyrie went from the most promising and beloved young player in the league to a scapegoat on a level approaching last year's Howard. It's amusing how people let a slump after two amazing seasons dictate a player's talent level and career trajectory.

What have you done for me lately? The basketball world's mantra.

imnew09
12-09-2013, 05:04 AM
I'd take Kyrie over gay because We truly need a fken PG :lol

iamgine
12-09-2013, 05:16 AM
Last season, Kyrie shot more efficiently on more attempts than Gay had in his entire career. So there's that.

PleezeBelieve
12-09-2013, 05:17 AM
I'd take Kyrie over gay because We truly need a fken PG :lol
You'd take him until you realize he's a chukker... just like Gay is seen.

PleezeBelieve
12-09-2013, 05:23 AM
Kyrie went from the most promising and beloved young player in the league to a scapegoat on a level approaching last year's Howard. It's amusing how people let a slump after two amazing seasons dictate a player's talent level and career trajectory.

What have you done for me lately? The basketball world's mantra.
Howard effects the game beyond scoring, Kyrie does not. So if even if you think he's in a prolonged shooting slump (and he's not), when the guy is on, he wouldn't be worth 19 mill a year just like Gay isn't worth it now.

Both have talent. But both also one dimensional players who are not leaders. Not really sure why you think he's getting scapegoated for that. It's a fact. :oldlol:

retaxis
12-09-2013, 05:25 AM
Difference is Kyrie has quickness which allows him to get into the paint for higher percentage shots where as Rudy Gay has athleticism which lets him shoot over just about anyone but those shots are often outside the paint.

PleezeBelieve
12-09-2013, 05:26 AM
Last season, Kyrie shot more efficiently on more attempts than Gay had in his entire career. So there's that.
Umm, that's a lie

Kyrie shot 45% last season. Gay has shot over 46% three times in his career.

moe94
12-09-2013, 05:26 AM
Both have talent. But both also one dimensional players who are not leaders. Not really sure why you think he's getting scapegoated for that. It's a fact. :oldlol:

Some kid who would have still been in college a generation ago is already not fit to be the leader for the rest of his career, right? He already peaked, apparently :rolleyes:

imnew09
12-09-2013, 05:27 AM
You'd take him until you realize he's a chukker... just like Gay is seen.

He can play better D than Nash and Blake combined...

our pg is Blake, our only pg right now because Nash and Farmer are injured :cry:

PleezeBelieve
12-09-2013, 05:30 AM
Difference is Kyrie has quickness which allows him to get into the paint for higher percentage shots where as Rudy Gay has athleticism which lets him shoot over just about anyone but those shots are often outside the paint.
Who cares if someone is getting shots in the paint when they drive one against three in doing so?

Just you think Gay shoots unnecessary contested jumpers, I think Kyrie plays selfishly with a severe case of tunnel vision.

A ball hog is a ball hog. Look at their stats.

PleezeBelieve
12-09-2013, 05:32 AM
Some kid who would have still been in college a generation ago is already not fit to be the leader for the rest of his career, right? He already peaked, apparently :rolleyes:
Doesn't matter to me about his age. The type of game he plays is of a 'me-first' variety that will never translate to him being a leader. His PG acumen is trash.

Look at their stats. They mirror each other.

tomtucker
12-09-2013, 05:38 AM
no gay jokes.....?....ish is slipping :facepalm

moe94
12-09-2013, 05:38 AM
Doesn't matter to me about his age. The type of game he plays is of a 'me-first' variety that will never translate to him being a leader.

This is the part where I list the names of players were this silly argument was used against. I mean, really? Did you really post that tired line? :roll:

Laughable.

Hoopz2332
12-09-2013, 07:30 AM

I mean, when you really think about it, it's eerie how similar they are as players. Both started getting loved for being young, efficient scorers with a clutch gene but when asked to lead a ballclub, they failed miserably in the locker room and subsequently their stats drastically declined in the process.

Kyrie is a better passer but overall I agree:oldlol:

andremiller07
12-09-2013, 08:48 AM
Rudy Gay is about to be the #2 option while Kyrie will remain the #1 option

chips93
12-09-2013, 09:05 AM
kyrie has been ineffiecnt for about 20 games, and very efficient for about 100 before that

rudy has been inefficient his entire career

andremiller07
12-09-2013, 09:14 AM
kyrie has been ineffiecnt for about 20 games, and very efficient for about 100 before that

rudy has been inefficient his entire career
Look at the last 3 or so years in Memphis 46-47% is not bad at all for a SF who does other things.

GOBB
12-09-2013, 09:15 AM
He's a troll. How long before you ignore him? :confusedshrug:

Element
12-09-2013, 09:16 AM
Rudy is taller

chips93
12-09-2013, 09:27 AM
Look at the last 3 or so years in Memphis 46-47% is not bad at all for a SF who does other things.

the fg% isnt bad, but he doesnt make enough threes, or get to the line enough to make up for the slightly sub par fg%.

he was below average in memphis efficiency wise, not terrible, but definitely below average. league average TS% is about 54%, he was barely above it twice in memphis, and a good bit below that mark the other 4 years.

and then obviously, the last year and a half, his efficiency has gotten a lot worse.

i dont think the comparison, efficienct wise, to irving is fair at all.

salwan
12-09-2013, 09:28 AM
kyrie's salary matches his ability, which can't be said about rudy :lol

jbryan1984
12-09-2013, 10:01 AM
I would always choose to keep Kyrie over Gay. Younger, handles the ball better and I think he can ultimately score better. Defense, I won't even comment on that, they both suck.

DukeDelonte13
12-09-2013, 10:07 AM
irving is still struggling with learning how to manage his effort on both ends of the floor. Byron never held Kyrie accountable. Mike Brown is demanding Kryie play D. Rightly so, the leader of the team should be the one setting the tone.

People wanna dog on PB with waiters but in reality waiters has been the better player than Kyrie has in quite of few of the games played this season. Any intelligent cavs fan who watches the games will agree.

imdaman99
12-09-2013, 10:20 AM
Knicks need an Irving. Knicks don't need Gay, they already have a better version of him in Melo.

PleezeBelieve
12-09-2013, 10:57 AM
:roll: @ you fans of other teams who worship Irving when in actuality, he's not that good.

So hilarious

TheCorporation
12-10-2013, 12:54 AM
no gay jokes.....?....ish is slipping :facepalm

You mean maturing?

bdreason
12-10-2013, 01:03 AM
About 12 million dollars.

hawkfan
12-10-2013, 01:09 AM
Bynum should have signed with the Hawks.

Bynum, Horford, Millsap in the front court - we'd be really competitive with the Pacers. And he would be a playoff team.

MMM
12-10-2013, 01:13 AM
irving is still struggling with learning how to manage his effort on both ends of the floor. Byron never held Kyrie accountable. Mike Brown is demanding Kryie play D. Rightly so, the leader of the team should be the one setting the tone.

People wanna dog on PB with waiters but in reality waiters has been the better player than Kyrie has in quite of few of the games played this season. Any intelligent cavs fan who watches the games will agree.

Agreed, Waiters has been good in the 6th man role and I think Irving will eventually get over his current hurdle. Waiters still has star potential in him but like many young players needs consistency prior to reachin that level. As for Irving there is already a lot of good to great things he does but if he wants to reach an elite game changing level than his current process can only help him attain that.

tpols
12-10-2013, 01:17 AM
There is no difference. Gay or not, were there for you man:cheers:

TheCorporation
12-10-2013, 01:40 AM
About 12 million dollars.

:applause: :lol

The JKidd Kid
12-10-2013, 02:00 AM
Gay is chucking at a position where his job is is score. Kyrie is chucking at a position where he's supposed to actually be running an offense. Also Gay actually knows what defense means.

hawkfan
12-10-2013, 02:16 AM

PleezeBelieve,

Who do you think is a better overall point guard right now: Irving or Teague?

And1AllDay
12-10-2013, 02:24 AM
There is no difference. Gay or not, were there for you man:cheers:

:oldlol:

MJ(Mean John)
12-11-2013, 04:39 AM
So wait a minute. I'm tripping. Because in all honesty, ISH can sometimes alter how a fan sees an nba player. When Gay was with the Grizz, I would catch some of his games, and guy was a stud. I mean, he scored, he rebounded, he played defense. Not LeBron or anything, but he had his moments. And you go on ISH and you bash the guy when he goes to the craptors. I mean, ppl bag on him and shit. Now, he isn't a good player?

And Kyrie, last I remembered, dude was a top 10 talent at PG, soon to be top 3. What has changed? Uncle drew was pretty good and I just haven't seen much of these two to be honest, but to hear ppl talk about them as if they don't want them on your roster, well then who the f. do you want? lol. Seemingly a lot of these players are looked at as trash and some guys are overrated like a mfer.

razzredazzre
12-11-2013, 04:44 AM
But who's more dominant? That's the real question.

ralph_i_el
12-11-2013, 09:49 AM
So wait a minute. I'm tripping. Because in all honesty, ISH can sometimes alter how a fan sees an nba player. When Gay was with the Grizz, I would catch some of his games, and guy was a stud. I mean, he scored, he rebounded, he played defense. Not LeBron or anything, but he had his moments. And you go on ISH and you bash the guy when he goes to the craptors. I mean, ppl bag on him and shit. Now, he isn't a good player?

And Kyrie, last I remembered, dude was a top 10 talent at PG, soon to be top 3. What has changed? Uncle drew was pretty good and I just haven't seen much of these two to be honest, but to hear ppl talk about them as if they don't want them on your roster, well then who the f. do you want? lol. Seemingly a lot of these players are looked at as trash and some guys are overrated like a mfer.

He scores well enough on his own but he has the carmelo-effect on his teammates. No ball movement.

unbreakable
12-11-2013, 10:01 AM
meticode and redblackattack nowhere to be found :roll: :roll:

Hoopz2332
08-12-2014, 10:14 PM
:lol

PleezeBelieve
08-12-2014, 10:59 PM
:lol
Good try. Nothing about what I said is wrong still :roll:

LilEddyCurry
08-12-2014, 11:04 PM
Last season Rudy Gay averaged 20 points on 48.2% shooting while playing for the Sacremento Kings. He's better than people make him to be.
P.s they are both better than Dion Waiters.

Akrazotile
08-12-2014, 11:29 PM
Rudy is taller

Jailhouse gets empty

Hoopz2332
08-13-2014, 08:53 AM
Good try. Nothing about what I said is wrong still :roll:

I agree with you. I've been saying that Kyrie is basically jameer nelson with flash since last season:lol