PDA

View Full Version : I am completely sold on Portland.

Connor B
12-13-2013, 05:41 AM
I know we're only a quarter of the way through the season, but I am completely sold on Portland. I sincerely expect them to see them in the Finals. Only two teams I can see beating them in a 7 game series in the west are Thunder and Spurs, and even then I think Portland is so potent offensively that neither of those teams could slow them down or outscore them.

An Indiana vs. Portland Finals would be very very good. Miami Portland would be great as well. But this team is just too consistent to not be considered a serious serious contender.

no pun intended
12-13-2013, 05:44 AM
And their 10th overall pick, who dominated summer league, hasn't even stepped foot on the court yet this regular season.

Connor B
12-13-2013, 05:48 AM
And their 10th overall pick, who dominated summer league, hasn't even stepped foot on the court yet this regular season.

When does he come back?

no pun intended
12-13-2013, 05:52 AM
When does he come back?
Timetable is unclear.

Brook(lyn)Lopez
12-13-2013, 06:02 AM
If they ever go cold from 3 and/or LMA goes cold from mid range, they are absolutely screwed and will lose whatever playoff series that occurs in.

BlazerRed
12-13-2013, 06:07 AM
If they ever go cold from 3 and/or LMA goes cold from mid range, they are absolutely screwed and will lose whatever playoff series that occurs in.
You can say the same thing about every team in the league..

Miami goes cold from three and Lebron misses his mid ranges..

Thunder goes cold jumpshooting..

Paul George gets injured and Hibbert shrinks 2 feet..

etc etc

Stupid post.

Brook(lyn)Lopez
12-13-2013, 06:10 AM
You can say the same thing about every team in the league.. Miami goes cold from three and Lebron misses his mid ranges..

Thunder goes cold jumpshooting..

etc etc

Stupid post.

Stupider post.

Lebron plays in the post and gets to the line and so does Wade.
Durant is an elite foul shoot drawer, and Westbrook can do damage there as well.
Spurs have post players, as do Pacers.
Anyone else is not worth mentioning because they don't have much a chance of reaching the Finals, like Portland.
Plus most of these teams are proven defenders unlike Portland.

Portland doesn't get to the free throw line, and are almost exclusively jump shooters. They don't defend at a high enough rate to over come that.

They live and die by it, and it will be their down fall somewhere down the line.

BlazerRed
12-13-2013, 06:23 AM
Stupider post.

Durant is an elite foul shoot drawer, and Westbrook can do damage there as well.
Anyone else is not worth mentioning because they don't have much a chance of reaching the Finals, like Portland.

Portland doesn't get to the free throw line, and are almost exclusively jump shooters. They don't defend at a high enough rate to over come that.

They live and die by it, and it will be their down fall somewhere down the line.

They beat Houston today shooting 43% from the field and 30% from three..

All Net
12-13-2013, 06:28 AM
Portland has won games when they shoot badly.. LA in the post and Lopez attacking is why.

Lillard also gets to the basket really well.

They are legit no Doubt about it. So fun to watch too.

poido123
12-13-2013, 06:37 AM
Stupider post.

You really suck as a poster and it doesn't just stop at these stupid posts either...

Durant is an elite foul shoot drawer? :oldlol:

Lebron plays in the post? The games that I watch him, he spends more time crabstepping or driving to the hole or pulling up for the J, MAYBE a bit of postup thrown in for good measure, but definately not a major part of his game... :oldlol:

Portland are a threat, they have a nice balance to their team, they have shooters, they have a guy who patrols the paint in Lopez, they have an elite Power forward who is so consistent and absolutely clutch down the stretch, they have speed, they have decent defense, you're on crack dude :biggums:

JordanL
12-13-2013, 06:41 AM
When does he come back?

He was just cleared for half-court 3v3. Probably a month or so.

BlazerRed
12-13-2013, 06:50 AM
You really suck as a poster and it doesn't just stop at these stupid posts either...

Durant is an elite foul shoot drawer? :oldlol:

Lebron plays in the post? The games that I watch him, he spends more time crabstepping or driving to the hole or pulling up for the J, MAYBE a bit of postup thrown in for good measure, but definately not a major part of his game... :oldlol:

Portland are a threat, they have a nice balance to their team, they have shooters, they have a guy who patrols the paint in Lopez, they have an elite Power forward who is so consistent and absolutely clutch down the stretch, they have speed, they have decent defense, you're on crack dude :biggums:

Let the dude live in his own fairy world if that's what helps him sleep at night :oldlol:

All Net
12-13-2013, 07:00 AM
Let the dude live in his own fairy world if that's what helps him sleep at night :oldlol:

He started his post with stupider.. That says it all.

Brook(lyn)Lopez
12-13-2013, 07:09 AM
He started his post with stupider.. That says it all.

Learn 2 english plz.

Stupider is a word, you mad at my superior knowledge of the English language bro?

Also look up how many free throws Durant shoots per game and then say he isn't an elite foul drawer.

Bobby13
12-13-2013, 07:18 AM
I don't see a core without playoff experience jumping straight into the Finals. They're miles better than last year, but every good team needs that playoff run in them before they can think championship. OKC will beat them. The Blazers could beat the Spurs with odds against them to reach the WCF, but as good as this team is, they've got no real playoff experience at this point.

JordanL
12-13-2013, 07:31 AM
I don't see a core without playoff experience jumping straight into the Finals. They're miles better than last year, but every good team needs that playoff run in them before they can think championship. OKC will beat them. The Blazers could beat the Spurs with odds against them to reach the WCF, but as good as this team is, they've got no real playoff experience at this point.

They are a legit threat to make the Finals, IMO. Will it be expected of them? Hell no. It's not even expected of teams like OKC, Thunder, etc. Or even, really, any team outside of Miami.

But midway through November we had lots of questions on this team, and they have been answered.

"What about that soft schedule?"

The Blazers are 9-2 on the road, have only lost one game on the second night of a back-to-back, have never had a losing streak of more than one game this season, and have played 15 of their 23 games against the west, not the e-league.

They have beat OKC, Golden State, San Antonio, Indiana and Houston (who they have also lost to once). Their SOS is 0.504, just slightly above average, and about the same as San Antonio and the Clippers.

"But they are a jump shooting team"

They just beat Houston, one of the top offenses in the league, while shooting 30% from 3 and 43% from the field. They have been winning games, even when their jump-shooting deserts them, because they have other options.

I think a lot of people that haven't watched them play don't really understand that this team absolutely can score in many ways, but they are good at jump-shooting, so until you take that away from them, they won't put in more effort than that.

But if you defend the jump-shot, and they have to move on to something else, the Blazers can switch into a different gear and still generate the most efficient offense in the league.

"But they don't have the experience"

This often does matter for deep playoff runs, but it is not as universally true as many fans like to think. But beyond that, Portland's starting lineup collectively has 27 years in the NBA, even with a sophomore, and they have plenty of experience on the bench. Additionally, very talented teams without experience can sometimes be very dangerous in that situation, because they don't know better.

They have 114 games of playoff experience between them, over half of which is from their starters.

At it's core though, I think that "statement games" and "tests" for the Blazers are over. They are the test now for most teams in the league.

kurple
12-13-2013, 07:42 AM
it will be interesting to see everyone turn on them when they flop in the playoffs

JordanL
12-13-2013, 07:47 AM
it will be interesting to see everyone turn on them when they flop in the playoffs

Turn on them how? By saying "we knew all along that you couldn't go far in the playoffs this year"?

Seems to me that they can either fail and meet expectations, or succeed and exceed them.

leMVP
12-13-2013, 07:49 AM
Knicks last year was the same, They got the 3pt barrage, They got Melo's midrange.

But they got exposed in the playoffs once they were forced to play in halfcourt sets.

I expect Portland to be top 3 seed (w/o injuries) but they won't reach the conference finals.

kurple
12-13-2013, 07:50 AM
Turn on them how? By saying "we knew all along that you couldn't go far in the playoffs this year"?

Seems to me that they can either fail and meet expectations, or succeed and exceed them.
people are expecting them to preform in the playoffs

Trentknicks
12-13-2013, 07:56 AM
Knicks last year was the same, They got the 3pt barrage, They got Melo's midrange.

But they got exposed in the playoffs once they were forced to play in halfcourt sets.

I expect Portland to be top 3 seed (w/o injuries) but they won't reach the conference finals.
Playing with an injured Chandler and JR against the Pacers didn't exactly help their cause, that was more the downfall than "half court sets".

JordanL
12-13-2013, 08:04 AM

Portland plays almost entirely in the halfcourt set right now. :biggums:

All Net
12-13-2013, 08:18 AM

No such thing as a flop in the west.. Great teams could lose in round two.

BlazerRed
12-13-2013, 08:23 AM
Learn 2 english plz.

Stupider is a word, you mad at my superior knowledge of the English language bro?

Also look up how many free throws Durant shoots per game and then say he isn't an elite foul drawer.
:facepalm

BlazerRed
12-13-2013, 08:25 AM

The Blazers are a FAR more rounded team than the Knicks were and don't rely on one player.

RoseCity07
12-13-2013, 08:27 AM
I knew the would be a good team this year. I predicted between 50-55 wins. There is one thing that I didn't consider. Portland has kept the core together which is huge. Matthews, Batum, and Aldridge know each other very well. It's so important. Look how long it took Miami to figure it out with a super team. Keeping the core together pays dividends. It will help in the playoffs.

ihatetimthomas
12-13-2013, 08:35 AM
I'll be sold when they win a playoff series. Thats all that matters. They look nice though. They have a group of guys with great chemistry. LA is playing like a elite player. He is a tough matchup for any team. But I am never sold til the playoffs.

BlazerRed
12-13-2013, 08:35 AM
What's even more scary is that we still have McCollum to come back who could add another versatile scoring option off the bench to join Mo Williams. If McCollum can make an impact that will be huge.

andremiller07
12-13-2013, 08:44 AM
I never realised how good a player Wes Matthews was, like I always thought he was solid but dude imo is a top 5 SG his all around game is unreal and he's a warrior. He shots 3's, posts up, dribble drives what a stud :bowdown:.

I don't see where Portland will get exposed in the playoffs like people are saying unless they have injuries, they got 3 7 footers to protect the paint, a elite PF, two above average wings and a good PG ALL can play well in the HALF COURT, they have a style more suited to the playoffs more so than the Warriors/Clippers and other teams in the West not named San Antonio.

They can post up Wes/LMA and outside of Lopez they got at least 5 guys who can act as both playmakers/scorers (could be 6 with the rookie coming back). It's not like with say the Clippers you shut down CP3 who else is going to break down the D Jamal Crawford that/s it? You shut down Lillard on Portland they still got LMA/Batum/Wes/Mo Williams who can set the table.

Team is extremely flexible and they are all cool, calm and composed they don't get rattled.

BlazerRed
12-13-2013, 08:55 AM
http://i.imgur.com/HSdSUwD.gif

I<3NBA
12-13-2013, 11:09 AM
Portland are this year's Knicks. they'll get exposed in the playoffs and that'll be the end of that.

Jailblazers7
12-13-2013, 11:14 AM
Portland is better than last year's Knicks team by a good margin. They still might "disappoint" in the playoffs but that is all dependent on expectations. Portland rebounds well, every player can guard his position, and they are very good in half-court sets. They still might lose in the playoffs (the West is deep after all) but it won't be because they have glaring weaknesses being exposed.

sfballa13
12-13-2013, 11:49 AM
Portland couldnt get to the finals with a lineup of Steve Smith, Pippen, Rasheed in his prime, Bonzi Wells in his prime, the Davis brothers, Mighty Mouse, and Sabonis (im sure i forgot some players) there is NO WAY IN HELL this team even SNIFFS the finals not when you have KD and the Thunder, Duncan looking for his last chip before retirement, and the Harden/Dwight combo in Houston.

pegasus
12-13-2013, 12:25 PM
Playoff experience is so underrated around here. They will not make the finals, but I can see them play a very good 2nd round and lose eventually. And that won't take away from the amazing year they've been having (if they can keep it up). Everyone was doubting them before the season started (including me) and wondering which team LMA was going to demand a trade to.

I<3NBA
12-13-2013, 12:42 PM
Portland couldnt get to the finals with a lineup of Steve Smith, Pippen, Rasheed in his prime, Bonzi Wells in his prime, the Davis brothers, Mighty Mouse, and Sabonis (im sure i forgot some players) there is NO WAY IN HELL this team even SNIFFS the finals not when you have KD and the Thunder, Duncan looking for his last chip before retirement, and the Harden/Dwight combo in Houston.
they were facing Shaq, and they almost got in had they not had that epic collapse.

Djsonny
12-13-2013, 02:09 PM

lol dude, how are you comparing that team with this team? different players and coaches.

BlazerRed
12-13-2013, 06:03 PM

Portland are this year's Knicks. they'll get exposed in the playoffs and that'll be the end of that.

Jesus the level of ****tardery on this board never ceases to amaze me :biggums:

DMAVS41
12-13-2013, 06:05 PM
I like them, but I think they are a player away most likely. I just don't think that bench will hold up come playoff time...nor do I think the defense is good enough to win it all.

GOBB
12-13-2013, 06:07 PM
How often/much does Aldridge score with his back to the basket.

BlazerRed
12-13-2013, 06:08 PM
I like them, but I think they are a player away most likely. I just don't think that bench will hold up come playoff time...nor do I think the defense is good enough to win it all.
CJ McCollum has the potential to be that guy. Really want to see him play dammit!

reppy
12-13-2013, 06:11 PM
I'm not ready to anoint my Blazers as good enough to come out of the west. I'd be pleasantly surprised if I turn out to be wrong, though. :D

Myth
12-13-2013, 11:53 PM
I'm not ready to anoint my Blazers as good enough to come out of the west. I'd be pleasantly surprised if I turn out to be wrong, though. :D

I'm just happy that we seem good enough to have a chance at doing so, not that I expect it.

Myth
12-13-2013, 11:54 PM
http://i.imgur.com/HSdSUwD.gif

Finally, a good Blazer gif. The last great Blazers gif was the dancing people in the crowd from the game Roy scored 50 points (so about 4 years ago).

BlazerRed
12-13-2013, 11:55 PM
Finally, a good Blazer gif. The last great Blazers gif was the dancing people in the crowd from the game Roy scored 50 points (so about 4 years ago).

:cheers:

http://i.minus.com/ibtW8RlQ80KJgc.gif

Myth
12-14-2013, 01:03 AM

http://i.minus.com/ibtW8RlQ80KJgc.gif

http://www.totalprosports.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/shirtless-trail-blazers-fan-dancing-dancing-sports-fan-gifs.gif

BlazerRed
12-14-2013, 01:16 AM
http://www.totalprosports.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/shirtless-trail-blazers-fan-dancing-dancing-sports-fan-gifs.gif

:lol

All Net
12-14-2013, 04:54 AM
don't need comments like that...

BlazerRed
12-14-2013, 04:58 AM
don't need comments like that...

poido123
12-14-2013, 05:18 AM
Jesus the level of ****tardery on this board never ceases to amaze me :biggums:

I know right? :lol That dude's posts was so moronic and off the mark I just sat back and laughed at his stupidity. He went there with Sabonis and Pippen? :roll: :roll:

BlazerRed
12-14-2013, 05:20 AM
I know right? :lol That dude's posts was so moronic and off the mark I just sat back and laughed at his stupidity. He went there with Sabonis and Pippen? :roll: :roll:

I'm in a constant state of facepalm when viewing this forum..