PDA

View Full Version : Dirk is the most clutch player since MJ

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
12-13-2013, 04:31 PM
Hes only truly had 2 bad playoff series one against Miami in 06 and the Warriors series. Yet nikkas magnify those 2 series for him when they dont for Kobes multiple chokes and Lebrons besides 2011.
Does anyone have his percentage for gamewinners?

DirkNowitzki41
12-13-2013, 04:36 PM
You're definitely not wrong.

But alot of people don't watch Dirk or underrate him big time.. so expect to get hated on.

moe94
12-13-2013, 04:38 PM
I don't remember Jordan getting knocked out of the playoffs as the first seed by the 8th seed.

Mr. Jabbar
12-13-2013, 04:38 PM
dirk is pretty clutch no doubt about this, but lets not make this all about 2011, lebron makes other players look clutcher than they really are during the finals

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
12-13-2013, 04:41 PM
I don't remember Jordan getting knocked out of the playoffs as the first seed by the 8th seed.
SINCE MJ obviously no one clutcher than MJ:facepalm

DirkNowitzki41
12-13-2013, 04:42 PM

moe94 showing he cant read. No surprise

Legends66NBA7
12-13-2013, 04:42 PM
Wouldn't it be Duncan ?

moe94
12-13-2013, 04:44 PM
Point was to stop comparing them, clearly.

moe94 showing he cant read. No surprise

You're proving you still have zero grasp of the English language.

branslowski
12-13-2013, 04:48 PM
http://i28.tinypic.com/2afjtsl.jpg

TheMarkMadsen
12-13-2013, 04:55 PM
Lets stop overrating Dirk. Y'all already tried to re write history and say he was as good or better than prime KG. if you were to say that anytime from Dirks rookie year to 2007 you'd be laughed at. Dirk benefits from his tremendous 2011 playoffs but that doesn't excuse the decade of under achieving prior to that. At which point under achieving became the norm for Dirk led teams. Which is why other than the 07 reg season he was never held to the same standards or a Kobe, Shaq or Duncan

NumberSix
12-13-2013, 04:56 PM
DAAAMMMMMMNNNNNNN!!!!!! Shots LANDED.

Legends66NBA7
12-13-2013, 04:59 PM
Lets stop overrating Dirk. Y'all already tried to re write history and say he was as good or better than prime KG. if you were to say that anytime from Dirks rookie year to 2007 you'd be laughed at.

Pretty sure most would agree he was better from 05-07.

eklip
12-13-2013, 05:30 PM
Lets stop overrating Dirk. Y'all already tried to re write history and say he was as good or better than prime KG. if you were to say that anytime from Dirks rookie year to 2007 you'd be laughed at. Dirk benefits from his tremendous 2011 playoffs but that doesn't excuse the decade of under achieving prior to that. At which point under achieving became the norm for Dirk led teams. Which is why other than the 07 reg season he was never held to the same standards or a Kobe, Shaq or Duncan
Dirk was voted ahead of Garnett in the All-NBA Teams since 04-05 with the exception of the 07-08 season. Was a 28 year old Garnett already out of his prime?

edit: NBA not ABA

TheMarkMadsen
12-13-2013, 05:33 PM
Dirk was voted ahead of Garnett in the All-ABA Teams since 04-05 with the exception of the 07-08 season. Wasn't a 28 year old Garnett already out of his prime?

Neither Dirk nor KG have been selected to an all ABA team.

Westbrook0
12-13-2013, 05:35 PM
Dirk was voted ahead of Garnett in the All-ABA Teams since 04-05 with the exception of the 07-08 season. Wasn't a 28 year old Garnett already out of his prime?

http://www.lovemarks.com/media/image/aba_html.jpg

moe94
12-13-2013, 05:36 PM

What the hell are you...

:coleman:

Westbrook0
12-13-2013, 05:37 PM

Beat me to it.

Element
12-13-2013, 05:38 PM
clutch is mj the player most dirk since

DMAVS41
12-13-2013, 05:44 PM
I think he certainly has a great case, but it depends on how define clutch.

Not that it matters now, but Dirk was going through a lot of personal stuff during that Warriors series. It's not excuse, but it sheds some light on what was going on.

There were rumors in Dallas that Dirk was hiding and injury the last month of the season...and I just found out that Dirk's dad was in bad shape and was having major surgery and going through all these problems during the Warriors series.

You guys have to remember that these players are people to and have shit going on in their lives;

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/4094/a-close-look-at-dirk-nowitzki

Considering that series is a complete anomaly for Dirk's playoff career...not sure how important it is that Dirk struggled to play well while he thought his dad might die. Just some food for thought...

eklip
12-13-2013, 05:50 PM
NBA sorry

NumberSix
12-13-2013, 06:29 PM
The clutchiest.

IllegalD
12-13-2013, 06:51 PM
I think he certainly has a great case, but it depends on how define clutch.

Not that it matters now, but Dirk was going through a lot of personal stuff during that Warriors series. It's not excuse, but it sheds some light on what was going on.

There were rumors in Dallas that Dirk was hiding and injury the last month of the season...and I just found out that Dirk's dad was in bad shape and was having major surgery and going through all these problems during the Warriors series.

You guys have to remember that these players are people to and have shit going on in their lives;

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/4094/a-close-look-at-dirk-nowitzki

Considering that series is a complete anomaly for Dirk's playoff career...not sure how important it is that Dirk struggled to play well while he thought his dad might die. Just some food for thought...

Translation: "I'm gonna' come up with excuses out the ass to justify Dirk's epic chokejobs that only apply to Dirk because I like him but definitely NOT to some "other" players that I don't like as much." (hint: rhymes with "Sobe")

:lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l50IKDVpDiM

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0912/all-decade.greatest.upsets.2000s/images/warriors-mavericks-2007-don-nelson.jpg

http://pablochiste.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/dirk-cuban.jpg

:cheers:

SamuraiSWISH
12-13-2013, 07:20 PM
Dirk's 2007 first round, and 2006 Finals beg to differ.

DMAVS41
12-13-2013, 07:21 PM
Out of my ass? It's real...I even said it's not an excuse though.

My point was that I don't think 1 anomaly series with the kind of circumstances that series had...should define a player.

Yet, that is all you people can cling to when it comes to trying to pretend Dirk isn't of the best and most clutch playoff performers ever.

DMAVS41
12-13-2013, 07:21 PM
Dirk's 2007 first round, and 2006 Finals beg to differ.

I'd be curious to know who you think the most clutch player of this era was...

TheReal Kendall
12-13-2013, 07:23 PM
Hes only truly had 2 bad playoff series one against Miami in 06 and the Warriors series. Yet nikkas magnify those 2 series for him when they dont for Kobes multiple chokes and Lebrons besides 2011.
Does anyone have his percentage for gamewinners?

For me and a lot of people that Warriors series just showed how soft he was but dude is nice.

I would say Melo is the most clutch player since MJ though

SamuraiSWISH
12-13-2013, 07:25 PM
I don't think I can concretely name one person. Maybe Wade? Kobe was the most clutch it seemed, or fearless in terms of end of game shots. But he consistently played terrible in game 7s, or elimination games. LeBron played great in certain must win games, in others he didn't even show up, or was petrified to take the last shot. And Dirk, well, that 2007 series alone much like LeBron's 2011 Finals is so appalling it's stink lingers on their resume.

DMAVS41
12-13-2013, 07:26 PM
For me and a lot of people that Warriors series just showed how soft he was but dude is nice.

I would say Melo is the most clutch player since MJ though

this depends on how you define clutch, because melo is a way worse playoff performer than Dirk

Melo has been one of the best game winning shot makers though..well, he used to be, he's missed like 16 in a row now

but we really have to work on a definition, because Melo is the opposite of clutch if playoff play matters...which of course it should

DMAVS41
12-13-2013, 07:29 PM
I don't think I can concretely name one person. Maybe Wade? Kobe was the most clutch it seemed, or fearless in terms of end of game shots. But he consistently played terrible in game 7s, or elimination games. LeBron played great in certain must win games, in others he didn't even show up, or was petrified to take the last shot. And Dirk, well, that 2007 series alone much like LeBron's 2011 Finals is so appalling it's stink lingers on their resume.

I think that shows that everyone has ups and downs...and it depends on how define clutch.

If you go with a broad definition...I'd go with Dirk and Duncan at the top. Then Kobe and Lebron...with Wade behind them.

Like I said...it depends on how you define it. Dirk's one of the best elimination game and game 7 players ever. His playoff play is all time great overall. And his teams routinely had the best record in tight games from like 05 through 11...and he has great game winning and clutch metrics.

But I think those are probably the guys in it...Kobe, Lebron, Dirk, Duncan, and Wade

And while 07 of course hurts him...Dirk did have by far the best clutch playoff run of the era in 11...that is something nobody else has had. And many of these guys (kobe/lebron) have had meltdowns as well.

Also, Dirk's 06 finals are getting a little to criticized if you think it prevents him from being on that list. 23/11/3 53% TS...and while he did miss that ft...in game 5, he had some big time clutch plays. He made a shot with 49 seconds left in regulation to tie the game. Then fired a great pass to Damp for a dunk with 10 seconds left to go up 2. Then Wade tied it to go to OT. In OT, Dirk made a shot over Shaq with 9 seconds left to go up 1. Wade got fouled and made the two ft's. Dirk did all he could to win that game late...

And then in game 6...he had 29/15/2 on 57% TS

NumberSix
12-13-2013, 07:30 PM
Derek Fisher.

DMAVS41
12-13-2013, 07:30 PM
Derek Fisher.

:applause:

goldcrow
12-13-2013, 08:04 PM
A lot of people still pissed that Dirk shat on Miami in '11 it seems.

kenny817
12-13-2013, 08:29 PM

You can say the same about Duncan

TheReal Kendall
12-13-2013, 08:38 PM
this depends on how you define clutch, because melo is a way worse playoff performer than Dirk

Melo has been one of the best game winning shot makers though..well, he used to be, he's missed like 16 in a row now

but we really have to work on a definition, because Melo is the opposite of clutch if playoff play matters...which of course it should

Dirk shouldn't be in the discussion either then.

He had like one good playoff run now everybody wanna act like he's some kinda beast on par with MJ and other greats.

FKAri
12-13-2013, 08:49 PM
Robert Horry?
Reggie Miller?

juju151111
12-13-2013, 08:52 PM

He had like one good playoff run now everybody wanna act like he's some kinda beast on par with MJ and other greats.
Dirk had way more then one good playoff run.

rmt
12-13-2013, 09:02 PM
You can say the same about Duncan

Difference is that Duncan was 35 years old and nowhere near his prime/peak. Dirk was the MVP that year.

moe94
12-13-2013, 09:10 PM
Difference is that Duncan was 35 years old and nowhere near his prime/peak. Dirk was the MVP that year.

Don't do him like that. :oldlol:

Bandito
12-13-2013, 09:12 PM
A lot of people still pissed that Dirk shat on Lebronin '11 it seems.
:applause:

DMAVS41
12-13-2013, 09:19 PM

Had way more than 1 good playoff run...and I never said he was on par with MJ

Comparing Melo to Dirk in the playoffs is just laughable...