PDA

View Full Version : Orlando Dwight or Philly Iverson?

Jameerthefear
12-14-2013, 08:36 AM
Who would you take?

tgan3
12-14-2013, 08:46 AM
philly iverson. Dwight never had an impact like Iverson had.

HylianNightmare
12-14-2013, 08:55 AM
ai, dwight would'n't have sniffed the finals if boston was healthy that year. even my super homer glasses won't let me forget that

AI Thornton
12-14-2013, 09:04 AM
Who would you take?

This question has me 100% believing that you are in fact 15 years old. Anybody who saw Iverson in his prime wouldn't ask this question.

Legends66NBA7
12-14-2013, 09:27 AM
In a strange tale from ISH... it seems like this won't be the "defensive guy" that gets the nod.

3peated
12-14-2013, 10:32 AM
dude orlando dwight for a couple years was the real deal. he shoulda had mvp in 2011, and he did the same thing iverson did, brought his team to the finals to get beat by kobe

razzredazzre
12-14-2013, 10:54 AM
dude orlando dwight for a couple years was the real deal. he shoulda had mvp in 2011, and he did the same thing iverson did, brought his team to the finals to get beat by kobe

Letting2ndTierSuperStarsToGetToDaFinalsOnPurPoseAn dCrushThemBe :bowdown:

Jameerthefear
12-14-2013, 11:01 AM
by shaq and pau*

kNicKz
12-14-2013, 11:03 AM
by shaq and pau*

Shaq and Gasol dominated the league on the Magic and Grizzlies

:roll:

so many chips

spiegel
12-14-2013, 11:24 AM
How about the Dwight that is averaging 25 points and 18 rebounds on 60% and close to 67% from the free throw line in the last 6 games?

Xsatyr
12-14-2013, 02:05 PM
How about the Dwight that is averaging 25 points and 18 rebounds on 60% and close to 67% from the free throw line in the last 6 games?

Where are you getting 25 points from?

guy
12-14-2013, 02:13 PM
AI. Dwight at his best is probably a better and more effective player. And he's probably the player that will get more regular season wins for you. But ultimately, when things get tough he'll let you down, either by choking and/or just not taking things seriously enough. I won't have that problem with AI.

And here's another thing about AI. I really wonder how things would've turned out for AI if teams knew from the beginning whats the best way to build around a guy like i.e. surround him with defenders and rebounders like the 2001 Sixers not other players that need to score like Stackhouse, Melo, Rip, etc. I really wonder how things would've been had he gotten to play with someone like Dikembe Mutombo, Alonzo Mourning, Kevin Garnett, or Ben Wallace for like 10 years. I'm not saying this is the ideal way to win multiple titles. In fact he still might not end up with any. And clearly it would still be easier to build around players like Kobe, Lebron, Dirk, Durant, etc. However, I doubt he would be considered as much of a career loser as he is if he had those 2001 Sixers for his whole career, at least getting much further in the playoffs every year and possibly sneaking in a title in possibly a weak year.

LoneyROY7
12-14-2013, 02:21 PM
:lol

Iverson without question. Prime Iverson in today's game would be unguardable.

spiegel
12-14-2013, 02:26 PM
Where are you getting 25 points from?
Scratch that to 20 and 18. it was a typo

HurricaneKid
12-14-2013, 02:39 PM
Everyone at ISH takes the inefficient chucker over the best defensive player in the last 20 years? Shocker.

Iverson was fun to watch but anyone that takes him is factually wrong.

guy
12-14-2013, 02:41 PM
Everyone at ISH takes the inefficient chucker over the best defensive player in the last 20 years? Shocker.

Dwight's great but best defensive player in last 20 years????? Give me Duncan or KG. I'd probably take Ben Wallace in his prime as well.

LoneyROY7
12-14-2013, 02:41 PM

"Factually" wrong in regards to a hypothetical question? :roll:

kNicKz
12-14-2013, 02:46 PM
The Answer

b1imtf
12-14-2013, 03:13 PM

20 years :lol

D.J.
12-14-2013, 03:23 PM
Iverson dragged an offensively challenged team to the Finals and minus his inefficient shooting, is one of the best scorers of all-time. Dwight disappears when you need him and the Magic got to the Finals in 2009 only because the Celtics didn't have Garnett. And even then, it still went 7 games. The following year, the Magic lost to Boston with home court and could have easily been swept.

And best defender in the last 20 years? :facepalm :facepalm Um Mutombo? Mourning? Shaq? Duncan? Ben Wallace?

JimmyMcAdocious
12-14-2013, 03:27 PM

And they say the typical ISH poster is a troll or a moron. Psh.

VIP2000
12-14-2013, 03:37 PM
I think AI was a better player, but Dwight would probably be easier to build around.

AI was a great scorer but he really only had one deep playoff run, and that was the year they went to the Finals.

j3lademaster
12-14-2013, 03:46 PM
I really wonder how things would've been had he gotten to play with someone like Dikembe Mutombo, Alonzo Mourning, Kevin Garnett, or Ben Wallace for like 10 years.If I were a 6er fan I'd still be having nightmares of that 97 draft. If the stars didn't align for San Antonio, Philly would have had Duncan instead of Keith Van Horn.

D.J.
12-14-2013, 03:47 PM
If I were a 6er fan I'd still be having nightmares of that 97 draft. If the stars didn't align for San Antonio, Philly would have had Duncan instead of Keith Van Horn.

Who they ended up trading for Tim Thomas anyway.

ProfessorMurder
12-14-2013, 04:12 PM

Yeah. I mean I can't think of anyone in the last 20 years better than Dwight, other than:

Rodman
Jordan
Pippen
KG
Duncan
Robinson
Mutombo
Ben Wallace
Artest
Ewing
Dumars
Tony Allen
Bowen
Olajuwon
Blaylock
Payton
Oakley
Mourning
Kirilenko

etc.

GOBB
12-14-2013, 04:21 PM
If I were a 6er fan I'd still be having nightmares of that 97 draft. If the stars didn't align for San Antonio, Philly would have had Duncan instead of Keith Van Horn.

Why would we have nightmares of something not in our control? Post doesnt make much sense. A draft that fans have nightmares over is when Larry Brown took Larry Hughes over Paul Pierce. No hindsight whatsoever, that pick made zero sense. Sixers didnt have to wish for friggin stars to align and all that weirdo mumbo jumbo. They had Pierce in their reach and let him go by. THAT is worthy of nightmares.

GOBB
12-14-2013, 04:22 PM

Right because here on ISH people care little of efficiency. :rolleyes:

You are factually wrong. Its the opposite.

GOBB
12-14-2013, 04:23 PM
Who they ended up trading for Tinman Thomas anyway.

Fixed.

branslowski
12-14-2013, 04:36 PM
Iverson easily. Don't even know how this is debatable. I mean, which star player would I fear in the 4th? Dwight or Iverson? I mean cmon.:lol

Also, It's fitting that Iversons career high came against Jameer Nelson and the Magic, so much for that homecoming Jameer.:oldlol:

3peated
12-14-2013, 04:39 PM
AI. Dwight at his best is probably a better and more effective player. And he's probably the player that will get more regular season wins for you. But ultimately, when things get tough he'll let you down, either by choking and/or just not taking things seriously enough. I won't have that problem with AI.

And here's another thing about AI. I really wonder how things would've turned out for AI if teams knew from the beginning whats the best way to build around a guy like i.e. surround him with defenders and rebounders like the 2001 Sixers not other players that need to score like Stackhouse, Melo, Rip, etc. I really wonder how things would've been had he gotten to play with someone like Dikembe Mutombo, Alonzo Mourning, Kevin Garnett, or Ben Wallace for like 10 years. I'm not saying this is the ideal way to win multiple titles. In fact he still might not end up with any. And clearly it would still be easier to build around players like Kobe, Lebron, Dirk, Durant, etc. However, I doubt he would be considered as much of a career loser as he is if he had those 2001 Sixers for his whole career, at least getting much further in the playoffs every year and possibly sneaking in a title in possibly a weak year.

His problem, self admitted, was not listening to his coach enough when he was young. He could have developed faster and actually been the best in the league.

YouGotServed
12-14-2013, 04:47 PM
Dwight's been the best defensive player in the league since prime KG and Duncan. Anyone with common sense would take Dwight over the inefficient, undersized perimeter player. This isn't even debatable.

:oldlol: To be honest, the comparison is an insult to Dwight.

Jameerthefear
12-14-2013, 05:14 PM
Dwight's been the best defensive player in the league since prime KG and Duncan. Anyone with common sense would take Dwight over the inefficient, undersized perimeter player. This isn't even debatable.

:applause:

CavaliersFTW
12-14-2013, 05:14 PM
Dwight doesn't have a fraction the impact Iverson had, and I'm a guy who favors the center position 9 times out of 10.

Jameerthefear
12-14-2013, 05:16 PM
Yeah. I mean I can't think of anyone in the last 20 years better than Dwight, other than:

Rodman
Jordan
Pippen
KG
Duncan
Robinson
Mutombo
Ben Wallace
Artest
Ewing
Dumars
Tony Allen
Bowen
Olajuwon
Blaylock
Payton
Oakley
Mourning
Kirilenko

etc.
dwight is literally better than almost every defender in that list...

CavaliersFTW
12-14-2013, 05:18 PM
dwight is literally better than almost every defender in that list...
Dwight doesn't even know how to turn defense into offense, he delays games with the way he blocks shots 4 out of every 5 times he blocks it goes out of bounds and the opposing team keeps the ball :oldlol:

Jameerthefear
12-14-2013, 05:25 PM
Dwight doesn't even know how to turn defense into offense, he delays games with the way he blocks shots 4 out of every 5 times he blocks it goes out of bounds and the opposing team keeps the ball :oldlol:
okay. he's still better than almost every defender in that list tho

Quizno
12-14-2013, 05:51 PM
if you're 15 like you claim to be then you've watched a grand total of one of those defenders in his prime. tony allen. that's it.

SCdac
12-14-2013, 05:53 PM
Give me Iverson.

Played with more intensity during games, was a warrior, more reliable down the stretch, unstoppable at times. In his MVP season, Philly was 12-5 when AI dropped 40+ points, 14-3 when he dished 7+ assists, and 15-2 when he got 4+ steals. Regardless of stats, just felt like he could be leaned on to carry a team more.

Dwight I feel is more of a "main piece" than a full fledged MVP, Finals MVP-type, and team leader... Kind of like how prime Amare was the Suns main scorer @ 26 ppg but not necessarily their leader. I saw too many Orlando games where Turkoglu, Rashard Lewis, Nelson or Alston felt like the leader of the offense. Three point shooting in general was their leader, along with Stan. Hell, in the 2009 playoff run they even won a game without Dwight altogether (they couldn't have gone the distance without him, but the point is they were a balanced team offensively).

moe94
12-14-2013, 05:55 PM
if you're 15 like you claim to be then you've watched a grand total of one of those defenders in his prime. tony allen. that's it.

Because footage doesn't exist. You're not allowed to comment on things you didn't watch live, right?

No player in history gets glorified with more buzzwords and phrases than Iverson.

The classics include:

"played with heart"

"never give up attitude"

"warrior"

"carried a team of scrubs to a Finals"

LoneyROY7
12-14-2013, 05:55 PM
lol at the OP's feeble attempt to prop up Dwight Howard.

Sorry, Iverson's impact as a player >>> Dwight's.

Jameerthefear
12-14-2013, 06:09 PM
o okay then you watched russel and wilt? if you are in your 20s you didn't even really get to see bird or magic. are they out of your top 10 since you didn't watch them? What about KAJ?

kobeef24
12-14-2013, 06:12 PM
I'd take AI just for his mentality. You know he's going to give 100% every game and do anything it takes to win. If it weren't for that I'd pick Dwight, because he offers more on defense and was insane in those Orlando years.

ProfessorMurder
12-14-2013, 06:16 PM

:durantunimpressed:

-Dwight is a weakside shot blocker like Ibaka, that's it.

- His one on one defense isn't otherworldy, he just blocks shots... And he doesn't even block that many. Mutombo averaged 2.8 blocks per 36 when he was 41. Dwight's highest per 36 is 2.9 when he was 24.

- He doesn't anchor a team like a Garnett, Duncan, Ewing.

- Guys like Robin Lopez, Hibbert,, Ibaka, Brook Lopez, Bogut, and Chandler have better defense at the rim according to opponent fg%.

He's a fine defender, but he's not close to best ever. He's getting DPOYs in a weak big era.

CavaliersFTW
12-14-2013, 06:16 PM
Because footage doesn't exist. You're not allowed to comment on things you didn't watch live, right?

No player in history gets glorified with more buzzwords and phrases than Iverson.

The classics include:

"played with heart"

"never give up attitude"

"warrior"

"carried a team of scrubs to a Finals"
Shut up Silkk/RG3 - your one of the worst posters on this site regardless of which account your logged in as :oldlol:

Bandito
12-14-2013, 06:18 PM
This question has me 100% believing that you are in fact 15 years old. Anybody who saw Iverson in his prime wouldn't ask this question.
Bingo. Iverson was everything in that team. Dwight was just the main center.

$LakerGold
12-14-2013, 06:19 PM
Iverson. But it's going to be a 1 man game.

Jameerthefear
12-14-2013, 06:19 PM

- His one on one defense isn't otherworldy, he just blocks shots... And he doesn't even block that many. Mutombo averaged 2.8 blocks per 36 when he was 41. Dwight's highest per 36 is 2.9 when he was 24.

- Guys like Robin Lopez, Hibbert,, Ibaka, Brook Lopez, Bogut, and Chandler have better defense at the rim according to opponent fg%.

He's a fine defender, but he's not close to best ever. He's getting DPOYs in a weak big era.
are those this season's #s? or Orlando?

$LakerGold
12-14-2013, 06:23 PM
Allow me to state the obvious -- Dwight is an Athletic player with no offensive game whatsoever. He needs a supporting cast to be efficient. IVERSON runs it all by himself.

moe94
12-14-2013, 06:24 PM
Shut up Silkk/RG3 - your one of the worst posters on this site regardless of which account your logged in as :oldlol:

Twice? Really?

You're an actual idiot. :facepalm

HylianNightmare
12-14-2013, 06:34 PM
o okay then you watched russel and wilt? if you are in your 20s you didn't even really get to see bird or magic. are they out of your top 10 since you didn't watch them? What about KAJ?
:applause:

branslowski
12-14-2013, 06:40 PM
blah blah trolling

Which is why damn near everyone in this thread picked Iverson:coleman:

hateraid
12-14-2013, 06:52 PM

I always said switch Mutombo and Shaq and the Sixers would have swept easily. Probably would not have lost on the playoffs

Eric Cartman
12-14-2013, 07:28 PM
Iverson was proclaimed by Shaq as a top 5 talent of all time.

I'll take his word for it over Cryght Scrubward.

Legends66NBA7
12-14-2013, 07:31 PM
My pick would be Iverson too, but I can't get why both camps are acting like there's some huge gap between the 2. There really isn't. Both have accomplished quite a lot to say it's really that much off as an easy pick.

However, like I stated earlier, at least most are taking a player who wasn't that much of a 2 way player over a 2 way player. It seems almost an instant pick for posters on ISH to pick the better defensive player.

What do you base this opinion off ?

Twice? Really?

You're an actual idiot. :facepalm

Wasn't wrong the second time. :confusedshrug:

Quizno
12-14-2013, 08:25 PM
no, but i don't speak on things i don't really know about unlike 95% of this board

avonbarksdale
12-14-2013, 08:27 PM
ai

but both took teams to the finals and got killed by kobe

Human Error
12-14-2013, 08:28 PM
Who would you take?
Dwight Howard no doubt.

moe94
12-14-2013, 08:31 PM
Wasn't wrong the second time. :confusedshrug:

Both uses were incorrect. He always makes these basic grammar/spelling mistakes in all his posts. I think Wilt's putrefied semen is directly lodged into his brain causing him to post like a moron. :confusedshrug:

I wouldn't even care if he didn't make a post suggesting he's superior to someone else. The irony is embarrassing.

SCdac
12-14-2013, 08:37 PM
ai

but both took teams to the finals and got killed by kobe

still, losses or not, one player averaged 36 PPG against LA while the other averaged 15 PPG lol

Xiao Yao You
12-14-2013, 09:17 PM
King Douche over the gunning warrior

TheMarkMadsen
12-14-2013, 09:23 PM
Give me one of if not the toughest player of all time who will give it 110% every time out no matter what over run from my problems bitch boy Dwight.

GatorKid117
12-15-2013, 12:57 AM

He doesn't anchor a team? Could you explain that to me please.

In his prime with the Magic (pretty much with Van Gundy), they were 1st in points allowed in the paint, 2nd in defensive FG% and 2nd best in defensive efficiency. They consistently had one of the better opponent rim % and were 1 and 2 the year of their playoff runs. This was with the fantastic defenders helping him out in Rashard Lewis, Hedo Turkoglu and Jameer Nelson.

I mean the whole defensive philosophy of those teams was to funnel everything to Dwight. This is not even mentioning he was the only decent rebounder on those teams and the Magic were consistently a top 3 defensive rebounding unit.

Who exactly "anchored" those great defensive Magic teams if not for Dwight?

moe94
12-15-2013, 12:59 AM
He doesn't anchor a team? Could you explain that to me please.

In his prime with the Magic (pretty much with Van Gundy), they were 1st in points allowed in the paint, 2nd in defensive FG% and 2nd best in defensive efficiency. They consistently had one of the better opponent rim % and were 1 and 2 the year of their playoff runs. This was with the fantastic defenders helping him out in Rashard Lewis, Hedo Turkoglu and Jameer Nelson.

I mean the whole defensive philosophy of those teams was to funnel everything to Dwight. This is not even mentioning he was the only decent rebounder on those teams and the Magic were consistently a top 3 defensive rebounding unit.

Who exactly "anchored" those great defensive Magic teams if not for Dwight?

http://rack.3.mshcdn.com/media/ZgkyMDEzLzA3LzI0LzM1L2dlb3JnZWNsYXBwLmFmNTY0LmdpZg pwCXRodW1iCTg1MHg1OTA-CmUJanBn/cd52959a/f3f/george-clapping.jpg

Fresh Kid
12-15-2013, 01:04 AM
It has to be my 3rd favorite player growing up and that has to be iverson, see my 2001 sixers appreciation thread for more details:D

inclinerator
12-15-2013, 01:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FThijSFiGp8

G-Funk
12-15-2013, 01:22 AM
Is this a Joke??? Iverson>>>>>>>>>>>Dwight

OG LeeTSkeeT
12-15-2013, 04:35 AM
obviously a new generation baby

BlackVVaves
12-15-2013, 04:58 AM
I always said switch Mutombo and Shaq and the Sixers would have swept easily. Probably would not have lost on the playoffs

This is the most....comical understatement I've ever read :roll:

moe94
12-15-2013, 05:01 AM
This is the most....comical understatement I've ever read :roll:
I doubt it was sincere. Just no way.

CelticBaller
12-15-2013, 10:05 AM
AI. Efficiency means shit when you're the only scoring option.

Diegio
12-15-2013, 10:30 AM
Philadelphia 76ers' Allen Iverson :rockon:

kurple
12-15-2013, 10:47 AM

:biggums:

Horde of Temujin
12-15-2013, 12:43 PM

:biggums: :wtf: :facepalm

YouGotServed
12-15-2013, 02:34 PM
Nothing personal but I can't your opinion seriously. Someone who thinks Bogut is better than Dwight is clearly delusional and beyond help.

Legends66NBA7
12-15-2013, 02:46 PM
Nothing personal but I can't your opinion seriously. Someone who thinks Bogut is better than Dwight is clearly delusional and beyond help.

I agree. Don't know why that guy downplays Howard so much.

That said, not an insult for either player to be compared to each other as it's clearly debatable.