PDA

View Full Version : mecca of basketball

alexd
12-15-2013, 07:38 PM
I m from Europe so I m not familiar with US customs etc.which do you think is the Mecca of basketball?cause I was watching some NBA documentaries and some said new York is the basketball Mecca and some others said Indiana.so which one is it and why ?

moe94
12-15-2013, 07:40 PM
It's New York. They've been known for great success, especially the last couple of decades.

Black and White
12-15-2013, 07:41 PM
It's New York. They've been known for great success, especially the last couple of decades.

:roll: :roll:

MP.Trey
12-15-2013, 07:43 PM
The place where this guy was born:

http://sneakernews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/michael-jordan-mj-50-birthday-party.jpg

STATUTORY
12-15-2013, 07:44 PM
Cities with sizable African American populations tend to have claims on that title

Eric Cartman
12-15-2013, 07:44 PM

:lol :lol

moe94
12-15-2013, 07:45 PM
Why does New York always try to claim 2pac and Jordan? It never ceases to amaze me.

gts
12-15-2013, 07:45 PM
I don't know where it is but I know it's not in NY.

What city has had the best teams high school college and pro the last 50 years?
Where have the best players been coming from?

tomtucker
12-15-2013, 07:50 PM
Has to be L.A........Lakers have been huge for 30 years and people play basketball on street courts all year round..........and now even the clippers have a good team

kurple
12-15-2013, 07:52 PM
basketball isnt only about the NBA

you cant look past all the ball parks in NYC

moe94
12-15-2013, 07:55 PM
you cant look past all the ball parks in NYC

That's like saying Hollywood isn't the film capital of the world because France as more arthouse productions.

Deuce Bigalow
12-15-2013, 07:58 PM
Boston Garden and The Forum/Staples Center

gts
12-15-2013, 08:02 PM
Boston Garden and The Forum/Staples Center

meh.. think bigger.. no city is going to be crowned the mecca of basketball because of one team or arena.. those are just pieces of the mecca pie

outbreak
12-15-2013, 08:03 PM
Doesn't new york have the most kids making the NBA?

gts
12-15-2013, 08:04 PM
Doesn't new york have the most kids making the NBA?

just looking at that... according to a 2 year old bleacher report article LA/California does

Still looking for more info

steve
12-15-2013, 08:05 PM
A bit of information on why Madison Square Garden is called the "Mecca of Basketball." The New York City Center was built in 1923 and called the Mecca Temple because it's where the Shriners held their meetings. At the time, it was host to the major boxing and wrestling events in New York City. When the third Madison Square Garden was built in 1925 it became the major arena for basketball events in the city, and therefore was given the nickname the "Mecca of Basketball", not as a sign of any sort religious-like application but as a reference to the Mecca Temple in New York and its popularity a sporting venue.

MP.Trey
12-15-2013, 08:08 PM
just looking at that... according to a 2 year old bleacher report article LA/California does

Still looking for more info
Not unexpected, considering the fact that California is triple the size of New York and has about double the population. A percentage number would work better to accurately describe who produces more talent, imo. If a stat like that could be found.

gts
12-15-2013, 08:10 PM
Not unexpected, considering the fact that California is triple the size of New York and has about double the population. A percentage number would work better to accurately describe who produces more talent, imo. If a stat like that could be found.

ask and ye shall receive...lol

http://deadspin.com/infographics-where-do-pro-basketball-players-come-from-513261549

moe94
12-15-2013, 08:11 PM
You mean per capita? That is just as bad considering it suggests that the UK is more dominant in the Olympics than the US. Just hilarious.

kurple
12-15-2013, 08:26 PM
That's like saying Hollywood isn't the film capital of the world because France as more arthouse productions.
well then, what place is basketballs "hollywood"?

please dont say LA just because of the lakers

moe94
12-15-2013, 08:30 PM
well then, what place is basketballs "hollywood"?

please dont say LA just because of the lakers

LA bleeds basketball more than any other major city in the United States. That is almost an undeniable fact. The California area produces the most NBA talent. The Lakers, along with the Celtics are the most celebrated and decorated franchise in the history of the sport. The Lakers have had more recent success than the Celtics.

If ANY place is going to be crowned the mecca, LA has the strongest case.

New York has zero case and the fact that you think Rucker Park is a valid argument while the Lakers is not is flat out bias, homey.

The Iron Fist
12-15-2013, 08:31 PM
Los Angeles is the mecca of basketball period. Don't let these clowns try and sell you on new york.

UCLA, Lakers. Game over.

jimmy77x
12-15-2013, 08:32 PM
LA bleeds basketball more than any other major city in the United States. That is almost an undeniable fact. The California area produces the most NBA talent. The Lakers, along with the Celtics are the most celebrated and decorated franchise in the history of the sport. The Lakers have had more recent success than the Celtics.

If ANY place is going to be crowned the mecca, LA has the strongest case.

New York has zero case and the fact that you think Rucker Park is a valid argument while the Lakers is not is flat out bias, homey.

:lol NY hater still thinking its all about the NBA.

NumberSix
12-15-2013, 08:43 PM
Los Angeles, and it's not up for debate. Between the success of the Lakers and the talent that has come out of LA, no other city has a shred of a case.

moe94
12-15-2013, 08:49 PM
Los Angeles, and it's not up for debate. Between the success of the Lakers and the talent that has come out of LA, no other city has a shred of a case.

Rucker doe

DStebb716
12-15-2013, 08:58 PM
Mecca of basketball is still NY. This has nothing to do with NBA basketball.

FreezingTsmoove
12-15-2013, 09:01 PM
Brah you chill in NY in the summer and you tryna ball thats no problem whatsoever. You chillin anywhere else you finna have to make an event on FB to get nikkas to come to the park. #FACTZ

gts
12-15-2013, 09:04 PM
Mecca of basketball is still NY. This has nothing to do with NBA basketball.

NBA is a part of it, to deny it is to close your eyes to reality.. so is college, high school and talent produced

ralph_i_el
12-15-2013, 09:28 PM
No mention of the DMV? The Northern VA/Baltimore/DC are produces a lot of talent

steve
12-15-2013, 09:35 PM
NBA is a part of it, to deny it is to close your eyes to reality.. so is college, high school and talent produced

Or it's just a nickname based on Madison Square Garden being physically in New York.

moe94
12-15-2013, 09:38 PM
Or it's just a nickname based on Madison Square Garden being physically in New York.

That is hardly the point. Listen, people from NY literally think it's the heart and center of basketball, the premise of the thread. You're stuck on semantics.

Deuce Bigalow
12-15-2013, 09:42 PM
Why should MSG be called "the mecca of basketball"? The Knicks haven't won a title in 40 years. Think about it, the last time the Knicks won a title was when Wilt Chamberlain was playing, and Wilt died in the last century, not even the current one SMH.

MP.Trey
12-15-2013, 09:44 PM
Why should MSG be called "the mecca of basketball"? The Knicks haven't won a title in 40 years. Think about it, the last time the Knicks won a title was when Wilt Chamberlain was playing, and Wilt died in the last century, not even the current one SMH.

A bit of information on why Madison Square Garden is called the "Mecca of Basketball." The New York City Center was built in 1923 and called the Mecca Temple because it's where the Shriners held their meetings. At the time, it was host to the major boxing and wrestling events in New York City. When the third Madison Square Garden was built in 1925 it became the major arena for basketball events in the city, and therefore was given the nickname the "Mecca of Basketball", not as a sign of any sort religious-like application but as a reference to the Mecca Temple in New York and its popularity a sporting venue.

Deuce Bigalow
12-15-2013, 10:20 PM
I was trying to rustle some jimmies :cheers:

SamuraiSWISH
12-16-2013, 01:32 AM
Greatest Basketball Cities Historically:

New York
Chicago
Philadelphia
Los Angeles

Pointguard
12-16-2013, 01:47 AM
The NBA's origin is in NYC. It had to start in a place where a lot was happening and the media would give it national attention. Origins, business prospects, media attention, ability to sustain growth, the right place to house it, lots of colleges, city lights for the glamor, its entertainment value would get its just due. NYC was the financial capital, media capital, entertainment center, MSG was the hottest sports arena, it was the right place for a new sports craze. It still is all of those things.

kNicKz
12-16-2013, 02:01 AM
I don't think people realize just how many courts there are in New York and how packed they are

realistically, you could go to a court and play pick up at 3 AM

Sarcastic
12-16-2013, 02:01 AM
Lot of butthurt people in this thread over NY currently being, and continuing to be the Mecca. :lol

You can try to convince yourselves it's not, but you just look like fools that try to convince themselves that Elvis is still alive.

fiddy
12-16-2013, 06:47 AM
First played 1891, Springfield, Massachusetts, U.S.
/thread?

Lot of butthurt people in this thread over NY currently being, and continuing to be the Mecca. :lol

You can try to convince yourselves it's not, but you just look like fools that try to convince themselves that Elvis is still alive.

Its not and even if it was they should take away that title because of your current "contenders" success.

G-Funk
12-16-2013, 07:08 AM
I m from Europe so I m not familiar with US customs etc.which do you think is the Mecca of basketball?cause I was watching some NBA documentaries and some said new York is the basketball Mecca and some others said Indiana.so which one is it and why ?

In the 60's and 70's it used to be NY. But Los Angeles owns it now. Great talent and success from top to bottom. From having great home grown players, parks and places like Venice, Drew league etc, to the most successful college in the NCAA Tournament, winning 11 national UCLA to the most successful NBA franchise, Lakers. There really isn't a close 2nd.

Crafty
12-16-2013, 07:38 AM
http://chatroulettegifs.com/black_guys_laughing.gif

G-Funk
12-16-2013, 07:39 AM
:lol NY hater still thinking its all about the NBA.
No it's not just about the NBA, but it does factor in big along with NCAA, High Schools and Street ball.

pauk
12-16-2013, 07:54 AM
From what i have heard you cant go wrong with NYC.... vast streetball folklore (and1, rucker, Earl Manigault etc), Madison Square Garden ("mecca"), basketball legends that were born there (Jordan, Kareem, Julius, Bernard King, Chris Mullin, Lanier, Cunningham, Carmelo perhaps etc)...

D-Wade316
12-16-2013, 08:15 AM
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/A-KymkcCQAAm8T4.jpg:large

G-Funk
12-16-2013, 09:48 AM
From what i have heard you cant go wrong with NYC.... vast streetball folklore (and1, rucker, Earl Manigault etc), Madison Square Garden ("mecca"), basketball legends that were born there (Jordan, Kareem, Julius, Bernard King, Chris Mullin, Lanier, Cunningham, Carmelo perhaps etc)...

Jordan moved to Wilmington, North Carolina when he was still a toddler :facepalm

moe94
12-16-2013, 09:55 AM
Jordan moved to Wilmington, North Carolina when he was still a toddler :facepalm

New Yorkers claim him, just like they do Pac just because he was technically born in New York, even though the man himself said he identified himself as 100% Californian.

Rameek
12-16-2013, 10:13 AM
Mecca of basketball was explained well because of the move of the financial district and MSG. The folklore became about the parks and quality of play in NYC. NYC never produced an inordinate amount of NBA or College personnel mostly streetball legends.

Never based on NBA, NCAA, or HS success.

GOBB
12-16-2013, 10:54 AM
Easily Philadelphia. Birth place of Black Jesus. :confusedshrug:

Psileas
12-16-2013, 10:56 AM
Indiana used to sound like a decent choice, then came the 2004 WBC and the myth collapsed. Freaking Team USA was unable to attract crowds bigger than 5-7,000 in most of their games and some were even ignoring that a world championship was taking place in their neighborhood. Now, that's what I call Mecca of basketball. :facepalm

andgar923
12-16-2013, 11:22 AM
In the 60's and 70's it used to be NY. But Los Angeles owns it now. Great talent and success from top to bottom. From having great home grown players, parks and places like Venice, Drew league etc, to the most successful college in the NCAA Tournament, winning 11 national UCLA to the most successful NBA franchise, Lakers. There really isn't a close 2nd.

They will hate and deny it.

Some are gonna say "But there's millions of basketball courts all over NYC!!!"

And there's none in L.A?

Anywhere you go in L.A. there's parks with courts, there's schools with courts, there's gyms, etc.etc it's a way of life here in L.A. where people from all walks of life ball.

Our weather also allows for a year round playing atmosphere, we can easily go out and play right now, don't have to worry about snow or heavy rain and wind. I've seen dudes from NYC get balled up here.

The great mythos surrounding NYC street players is perpetrated by east coast journalist bias. The great stories of Rucker Park, Dr J, Connie, etc.etc can be matched by battles here in L.A. as well... we have our own stories to tell. I think the biggest difference between L.a. and NYC is we're spread out. We're not as concentrated as they are in NYC so naturally, it's easier for the best players in NYC to congregate to a specific park. They also have better public transportation than we do in L.A. so if you're a dude from Inglewood and there's great games in Long Beach it's harder to get there. I used to play in various parks all over L.a. from South Central to f*ckin Fontana and the talent was there. There's great parks and gyms all over L.A. some of the best games can be found in small elementary schools so one doesn't have to necessarily go to a park.

By almost any measurable metric L.A. comes out on top:

College
NBA
High School

And there's even been street ball and king of the court tournaments that L.A's won in the past so there's that.

robert de niro
12-16-2013, 11:40 AM

http://i.imgur.com/fhZyi5g.gif

UConnCeltics
12-16-2013, 11:45 AM
Storrs, CT. 18 Final Fours, 11 NCAA championships since 1990.

11-0 in championship games.

grantz
12-16-2013, 01:27 PM
John Wooden.

No college will ever do what he did. Ever.

He used to give lectures at my work downtown every year. Very inspirational man and I am happy to have seen him in person.

G-Funk
12-16-2013, 02:03 PM
New Yorkers claim him, just like they do Pac just because he was technically born in New York, even though the man himself said he identified himself as 100% Californian.
That shyt annoys me as much as it probably annoys u.

G-Funk
12-16-2013, 02:09 PM
Adngar923 I agree, I think they know too

SpecialQue
12-16-2013, 02:11 PM
Let New York have this title. God knows it's the only basketball title this city has right now.

Teanett
12-16-2013, 02:24 PM
Easily Philadelphia. Birth place of Black Jesus. :confusedshrug:

that would make it the betlehem of basketball, you imbecile.

insidehoops
12-16-2013, 06:01 PM
Why does New York always try to claim 2pac and Jordan? It never ceases to amaze me.
Tupac did grow up in NYC until age 13 or so, I believe.

Jordan's family left NYC when he was still like a little toddler

G-Funk
12-16-2013, 06:40 PM
Tupac did grow up in NYC until age 13 or so, I believe.

Jordan's family left NYC when he was still like a little toddler
I really doubt 2pac was ''thugging'' at age 13 or before, He said it was till he moved to Oakland where he met all the pimps, prostitutes, hustlers and gangsters who put him up on game. As a matter of fact Tupac never had a stable home in NY he was living at different shelter homes, he also didn't have any friends, he was an outcast because he couldn't afford nice clothes so he used to get clowned. It's a big reason why you don't hear about any child hood friends who are from NY.

Legends66NBA7
12-16-2013, 06:46 PM
I always believed this claim had nothing to do with the NBA, rather it has to do with all the basketball courts in New York.

Pointguard
12-16-2013, 09:04 PM

I really doubt 2pac was ''thugging'' at age 13 or before, He said it was till he moved to Oakland where he met all the pimps, prostitutes, hustlers and gangsters who put him up on game. As a matter of fact Tupac never had a stable home in NY he was living at different shelter homes, he also didn't have any friends, he was an outcast because he couldn't afford nice clothes so he used to get clowned. It's a big reason why you don't hear about any child hood friends who are from NY.

Wow, I never heard a NYer claim him despite his political influence was already touched before he left NY. But he definitely was at least 18 before he got to Cali. He's a Baltimore kid straight up - only HS friend you ever hear about was Jada Pinkett. And he was a nice precocious kid at least until 17 - he wasn't the bad kids on "the Wire" at this age. That's the only thing I didn't like about him. He identified with that Cali gang nonsense when he knew better. He didn't grow up nothing like that. NYers would never go out like that. Not the ones of his era.

To me, his identity was formed before he was 19 like most of us. He was unusually gifted and ahead of his time socially. But he's a Baltimore product.