PDA

View Full Version : Tim Duncan or Hakeem Olajuwon

riseagainst
12-16-2013, 04:15 PM
Who would you pick to build your team around?

Duncan obviously had the better career.

Who had the better peak?

longhornfan1234
12-16-2013, 04:16 PM
Who would you pick to build your team around?

Duncan obviously had the better career.

Who had the better peak?

Hakeem

/

Thread

sportjames23
12-16-2013, 04:17 PM
Hakeem

/

Thread

This

/thread

fpliii
12-16-2013, 04:18 PM
I'd take Hakeem over anyone except for maybe a couple of other centers.

Black and White
12-16-2013, 04:20 PM
For real??? Give me prime Dream anyday of the week, this isn't a good comparison

NumberSix
12-16-2013, 04:51 PM
Hakeem is better than Duncan. Don't care about the ring count.

Mr Exlax
12-16-2013, 05:16 PM
Right now I'd say Duncan because of age, but even then I think Dream could still do a little something something out there on the court. If we're talking same ages though give me Hakeem all day and tomorrow and then twice on Wednesday.

NumberSix
12-16-2013, 05:21 PM
Right now I'd say Duncan because of age, but even then I think Dream could still do a little something something out there on the court. If we're talking same ages though give me Hakeem all day and tomorrow and then twice on Wednesday.
You think 10 years from now, the elite superstars of the NBA will be paying Duncan $100k a session to teach them how to play in the post?

Doubt it.

Black and White
12-16-2013, 05:22 PM

I think hes talking about drafting them and builing a team around them.

noob cake
12-16-2013, 05:23 PM
Hakeem was better both offensively and defensively.

Mr Exlax
12-16-2013, 05:26 PM
You think 10 years from now, the elite superstars of the NBA will be paying Duncan $100k a session to teach them how to play in the post?

Doubt it.

+1

Mr Exlax
12-16-2013, 05:26 PM
I think hes talking about drafting them and builing a team around them.

Yeah I know. I just felt like being an idiot.

Black and White
12-16-2013, 05:27 PM
Yeah I know. I just felt like being an idiot.

All good :cheers:

Marchesk
12-16-2013, 05:36 PM
I'd take Hakeem over anyone except for maybe a couple of other centers.

So in hindsight, you agree with Houston's 1984 pick? Of course at the time, Olajuwon was everyone's #1, and with good reason. People knew Mike was good, but they didn't know how good.

I know you favor bigs, but it's hard to argue that Hakeem had the better career. Of course Sampson not being able to stay healthy hurt Hakeem's chances for more titles.

But in hindsight, if I"m Houston I'm taking Jordan. Actually, I'm trading Sampson and picking both.

fpliii
12-16-2013, 05:56 PM
So in hindsight, you agree with Houston's 1984 pick? Of course at the time, Olajuwon was everyone's #1, and with good reason. People knew Mike was good, but they didn't know how good.

I know you favor bigs, but it's hard to argue that Hakeem had the better career. Of course Sampson not being able to stay healthy hurt Hakeem's chances for more titles.

But in hindsight, if I"m Houston I'm taking Jordan. Actually, I'm trading Sampson and picking both.

I think I'd still agree with it, even considering full hindsight.

Better career/legacy means little to me though, chance and circumstance play too big a part in it, so I'm more interested in taking context into account and trying to evaluate players in a vacuum. I agree about Sampson being hurt not helping his case, but Hakeem wasn't a perfect human being either (there was that fight in the WCF, other character issues, coaching incompatibility, etc.).

I do think I'd try the Sampson trade though for sure, maybe even without complete hindsight. Do you think Chicago would do that trade? From reading papers, it seems the Bulls FO was hesitant to consider MJ their franchise player because he wasn't a big, and Sampson's value was pretty high at that point. I'd have to imagine they'd agree to it.

Maybe I'll bump this thread again soon:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=310345

riseagainst
12-16-2013, 05:59 PM

Better career/legacy means little to me though, chance and circumstance play too big a part in it, so I'm more interested in taking context into account and trying to evaluate players in a vacuum. I agree about Sampson being hurt not helping his case, but Hakeem wasn't a perfect human being either (there was that fight in the WCF, other character issues, coaching incompatibility, etc.).

I do think I'd try the Sampson trade though for sure, maybe even without complete hindsight. Do you think Chicago would do that trade? From reading papers, it seems the Bulls FO was hesitant to consider MJ their franchise player because he wasn't a big, and Sampson's value was pretty high at that point. I'd have to imagine they'd agree to it.

Don't you think it's incredibly hard to compare players just in a vacuum since the system/coach they play under also play a role in their performance? And how could you eliminate that system and still compare those players?

jzek
12-16-2013, 06:01 PM
Hakeem would do to Timmay what he did to Robinson in a head to head matchup.

fpliii
12-16-2013, 06:06 PM
Don't you think it's incredibly hard to compare players just in a vacuum since the system/coach they play under also play a role in their performance? And how could you eliminate that system and still compare those players?

Obviously, but it's much more interesting than just listing off resumes. Discussing skillsets, limitations, potential, hypotheticals, etc. is much, much, much more interesting than just talking about shit that already happened.

Marchesk
12-16-2013, 06:07 PM
Do you think Chicago would do that trade? From reading papers, it seems the Bulls FO was hesitant to consider MJ their franchise player because he wasn't a big, and Sampson's value was pretty high at that point. I'd have to imagine they'd agree to it.

Portland would have done it for sure. Sampson >>> Bowie. According to this article, Chicago was willing to deal Jordan for Sampson after Jordan's second season:

"There was a time when we felt there was a chance to make a trade with Chicago with Sampson for Jordan," Fitch said. "But nothing was ever done."

That was after the 1985-86 season. The thinking then was it might be too one-sided a deal--for the Rockets.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1998-06-11/sports/9806110103_1_nba-history-rockets-nba-title

fpliii
12-16-2013, 06:08 PM
Hakeem would do to Timmay what he did to Robinson in a head to head matchup.

Maybe, but Timmy as a rookie was doing the same thing to the Admiral:

"Broussard: When Monty says you can be a great player, does he say how great? Like, "You can be as good as Tim Duncan"?

Davis: He says I have some of the same characteristics as Tim. But at the same time he tells me, "You're not there yet. You have to keep working." He told me that when Tim was a rookie going against David Robinson in practice, they had to black out the windows because Tim was just destroying him. His first year. So Monty tells me every time I get the ball I have to be willing to score. That's what he's trying to embed in my brain, and I'm starting to pick it up now."

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/maginterviewdavis/new-orleans-pelicans-anthony-davis-how-game-changed-season-espn-magazine

Solefade
12-16-2013, 06:11 PM

yup

alec613
12-16-2013, 06:12 PM
Ok, guess it's general consensus that Hakeem is better than Tim

How 'bout all-time rankings?

Solefade
12-16-2013, 06:17 PM
Ok, guess it's general consensus that Hakeem is better than Tim

How 'bout all-time rankings?

All time rankings have to go by resume so Tim is higher on that list.

Dragonyeuw
12-16-2013, 06:20 PM
Just from an eye test, I can't think of one thing Duncan did better than Hakeem. Dream was better on both sides of the ball, more offensively gifted and dominant, more versatile defensively as evidenced by being top ten in steals in addition to career shotblock leader. Just a more gifted overall player....

Marchesk
12-16-2013, 06:27 PM
Just from an eye test, I can't think of one thing Duncan did better than Hakeem. Dream was better on both sides of the ball, more offensively gifted and dominant, more versatile defensively as evidenced by being top ten in steals in addition to career shotblock leader. Just a more gifted overall player....

Yeah, and Hakeem didn't consistently have the players or system around him that Duncan has had his entire career.

Round Mound
12-16-2013, 08:06 PM
Hakeem

Young X
12-16-2013, 08:18 PM
Hakeem easy. Better at almost every aspect.

Stringer Bell
12-16-2013, 11:18 PM
Duncan is great, but Hakeem was even better.

K Xerxes
12-16-2013, 11:19 PM
Glad to see Hakeem getting the props he deserves. Duncan is great, top 10 for sure, but he was no Olajuwon.

Inb4 Lazzerus comes in to downplay Olajuwon.

EnoughSaid
12-16-2013, 11:19 PM
Hakeem the better player offensively and defensively. You'd have to take him. He basically does everything better, but his footwork and dribbling have no equals.

juju151111
12-16-2013, 11:21 PM
Duncan is great, but Hakeem was even better.
:applause:

k0kakw0rld
12-16-2013, 11:23 PM
You people don't really understand the legend that Tim Duncan is huh?!

He is the GOAT nuff said!

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
12-16-2013, 11:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95g8Qha9t0M

There is no way Dwight's gonna learn this. Those moves are unteachable.

I have all 3 games Hakeem played vs LA that year and he looked mortal in each one. By the time April/May rolled around, he would've punked anyone thrown at him.

DatAsh
12-16-2013, 11:39 PM

Hakeem and Jordan in Houston would have been a sight to see.

inclinerator
12-16-2013, 11:48 PM
hasheem tabheet